• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT| an Ode to the Automobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
PD should improve the restricted races. They should give you an option to only buy the cars that fit the criteria. Right now it's just a messy back and forth to look if your desired car is allowed.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Patrick Bateman said:
PD should improve the restricted races. They should give you an option to only buy the cars that fit the criteria. Right now it's just a messy back and forth to look if your desired car is allowed.

if its stuff in your garage you can just click on the icon on the right to see what meets the criteria.

Super GT race on extreme? Ooh, up against a raybrig NSX, nice. What in my garage matches those criteria? Daihatsu Copen, really?

spwolf

marc^o^ said:
Had they applied AI changes in Prologue?

i am sure it is doable but thats how it works anyway... in lower levels you race low level drivers that suck just like many of us... there is no way to implement mech damage there because it would be too expensive to fix...

.. and why would anyone want mech damage in arcade? so you have to press button to restart game? i mean it is arcade mode afterall...

a lot of people complain no matter what decision is made..

Withnail

The size of the updates so far seem to indicate that rather than patching the game they are just replacing the whole online mode each time. This might be the only way PD have planned to support the game.

Sony seem hesitant about patching offline modes. This was the reason LBP2 was delayed if you remember, Mm said they can't just fix single player modes after launch because of the number of people who do not connect their console to the internet.

Sanjay

mrklaw said:
if its stuff in your garage you can just click on the icon on the right to see what meets the criteria.

Super GT race on extreme? Ooh, up against a raybrig NSX, nice. What in my garage matches those criteria? Daihatsu Copen, really?

Think he means if you don't, you kind of have to remember all them cars by heart, then decide which one is the one to buy, if they could just direct you to them like internet hyper-links are used, would be so much helpful.

dwebo

For these events on dynamic weather tracks, I was really hoping they'd actually change (or at least have the possibility to) during the race. But as far as I can tell, if it's not raining when you load up the track, then it'll never rain that race, even over a 6hr endurance period.

Kinda lame, PD.

Withnail said:
The size of the updates so far seem to indicate that rather than patching the game they are just replacing the whole online mode each time. This might be the only way PD have planned to support the game.
I think the minimum size of a ps3 game update is dependent on the size of the game executable. That's why God of War 3's patches were only 5mb and it's why GT5's have all been 133mb or larger.
Inefficient code.

SmokyDave

My biggest problem with GT5, after a week, is that there aren't enough hours in the day to play it.

Unemployment looks pretty tempting about now.

spwolf

mrklaw said:

btw, i wouldnt be too worried about online restrictions, they had pp system for GT5P and I have no doubt it will return to GT5 via patch... as much as I remember it took everything into equation, all the tunning, etc...

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SmokyDave said:
My biggest problem with GT5, after a week, is that there aren't enough hours in the day to play it.

Unemployment looks pretty tempting about now.

tell me about it. Did a superGT event in b-spec last night. 3 races, each one 30 laps, so about an hour per event. couldn't easily leave them to it, as I had to plan pitstops too.

Was fun, but it eats time.

nib95

Banned
Well, at least your PS3 isn't dead! Mine died just yesterday and now I'm subject to playing it on my flat mates console helping his save file out :( Also, hate to sound elitist, but my word, I can never put up with this controller malarkey again after experiencing good steering wheel control. It's like night and day...

Numpt3

Argh! Why can my b-spec driver handle a 458, SLS or lambo like a pro but can't keep a puny little mx-5 on the track!? Useless bastard. :lol

blu

Wants the largest console games publisher to avoid Nintendo's platforms.
dwebo said:
Isn't Bugatti owned by Volkswagen? It is a bit weird that they were able to premium-ify a bunch of niche VWs but not a Veyron , though I guess they could've all come from one collector or a museum.
Huh? I'm sure there's some joke somewhere in there.

dwebo

blu said:
Huh? I'm sure there's some joke somewhere in there.
Eh, even for GT5's entire thousand car collection, two WW2-era jeeps and a sambabus are pretty niche. For its 200 odd premiums, their inclusion is even more random.

mehdi_san

Yamauchi is on twitter again tonight (he's been doing this almost every evening this week). I think if you really wanna ask him something you should try it now.
A few questions he answered so far:
1. They are working on making the courses from the course maker sharable with your friends, but he doesn't think it will be ready until next year.
2. He answered to someone saying that "it will be in the update coming late December" but the guy just asked a dozen questions so I have no idea what Yamauchi is referring to.
3. Monitoring B-spec races from a browser should be ready with an update early next year also.

blu

dwebo said:
Eh, even for GT5's entire thousand car collection, two WW2-era jeeps and a sambabus are pretty niche. For its 200 odd premiums, their inclusion is even more random.
An iconic minibus and two of the most common Wehrmacht (light) vehicles are more niche than a $1.7M (the cheapo version) ego rocket whose sole merit is high speed at straights? I suspect we have very different understanding of the word 'niche' ; )

CozMick

Banned
mehdi_san said:
Yamauchi is on twitter again tonight (he's been doing this almost every evening this week). I think if you really wanna ask him something you should try it now.
1. They are working on making the courses from the course maker sharable with your friends, but he doesn't think it will be ready until next year.
2. He answered to someone saying that "it will be in the update coming late December" but the guy just asked a dozen questions so I have no idea what Yamauchi is referring to.
3. Monitoring B-spec races from a browser should be ready with an update early next year also.

This is going to destroy me.

Sitting in a bar somewhere with friends screaming at S. Fry because he won't overtake some idiot in a Vitz RS :lol

dwebo

blu said:
An iconic minibus and two of the most common Wehrmacht (light) vehicles are more niche than a $1.7M (the cheapo version) ego rocket whose sole merit is high speed at straights? I suspect we have very different understanding of the word 'niche' ; )
:lol fair enough. I meant more in relation to the rest of GT5's cars, in which there are not many (any?) other jeeps or vans period, let alone historic or iconic ones. In the grand scheme of motoring, sure the Veyron is / will be more niche.

mehdi_san said:
Wait I thought this was already possible, or at least there's a trophy for it? I haven't tried it out personally.

LCfiner

blu said:

they're niche because in racing games because no one would want to friggin' drive them.

meanwhile, the veyron is an actually desirable car that people want to drive in racing games - even if they end up disappointed by the handling once they can :)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
CozMick said:
This is going to destroy me.

Sitting in a bar somewhere with friends screaming at S. Fry because he won't overtake some idiot in a Vitz RS :lol

Shame. I'll probably be done with it by then.

I think a lot of people are forgetting that Kaz has mentioned ram limitations not allowing for certain features.. the damage being for online only might be that limitation. Think about it. GT life has a whole AI system it has to calculate, while online doesn't.

mehdi_san

dwebo said:
:lol fair enough. I meant more in relation to the rest of GT5's cars, in which there are not many (any?) other jeeps or vans period, let alone historic or iconic ones. In the grand scheme of motoring, sure the Veyron is / will be more niche.

Wait I thought this was already possible, or at least there's a trophy for it? I haven't tried it out personally.
I think you're right, I may have mistranslated that bit. I think he was asked about racing with friends (+ AI also) on tracks made in the course maker

blu

LCfiner said:
they're niche because in racing games because no one would want to friggin' drive them.
*raises hand*

meanwhile, the veyron is an actually desirable car that people want to drive in racing games - even if they end up disappointed by the handling once they can :)
Veyron is not a racing car. Actually, I'd venture to say it's the opposite of a racing car : )

blu

dwebo said:
Just to make it clear: I was aware what you were referring to in your original post. I just found it sounding rather ironic ; )

LCfiner

blu said:
*raises hand*

Veyron is not a racing car. Actually, I'd venture to say it's the opposite of a racing car : )

congrats, you're niche.

and lots of cars in GT5 aren't racing cars. in fact, i'd say most aren't racing cars.

LCfiner said:
and lots of cars in GT5 aren't racing cars. in fact, i'd say most aren't racing cars.

You could probably say that about all GT's. That's probably a big part of why its successful. While other games targeted supercars, GT went out and targets cars that people might actually own. That showed to be a smart idea as the success of GT shows. The appeal of driving your own car in a game outweighs driving a fantasy car for many people.

LCfiner

SolidSnakex said:
You could probably say that about all GT's. That's probably a big part of why its successful. While other games targeted supercars, GT went out and targets cars that people might actually own. That showed to be a smart idea as the success of GT shows. The appeal of driving your own car in a game outweighs driving a fantasy car for many people.

I was saying that as a positive.

Going around the Nurburgring in all those AMG Challenges made me want to drive there for real and do some laps. It's even pretty cheap! 22 euros a lap!

Now if they would rent some faster cars than the Golf 1.8 that i have...

blu

LCfiner said:
congrats, you're niche.
I'm aware of that. I was merely commenting on the 'nobody' part.

You missed my point. A non-racing car can still be raced. The Veyron is an anti-racing car : )

LCfiner

we're getting bogged down in minutia.

here's where my frustration lies: by Kaz's account, each premium car takes a looong time to model. VW has three premium model cars that are horribly slow and unfun to drive and cannot be raced against other cars unless they are the exact same model. they are used for some of the most dull and/or frustrating special events in the game.

knowing that these premium models take a long time to make, cost a lot of money and tie up valuable resources, do you really think it was a worthwhile effort for not just one, but THREE of these vehicles to be included in the game - as premium models - instead of having the team spend their time on modeling 3 other types of vehicles? more versatile vehicles, perhaps? they don't have to be VWs. they don't have to be 1000 hp "anti-racing" beasts. just... something better than those three joke-vehicles.

nib95

Banned
Guys, MAJOR situation need some info/help.

Basically my PS3 died. It has a 500gb personally installed HDD on it. My plan was to just swap the drive in to my new slim and carry on playing GT5. Heard rumours on here that it won't work? Please tell me they are misinformed.

Surely if I stick my old drive (500gb) in to my new console it will just load up everything that was already on it?

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
nib95 said:

Basically my PS3 died. It has a 500gb personally installed HDD on it. My plan was to just swap the drive in to my new slim and carry on playing GT5. Heard rumours on here that it won't work? Please tell me they are misinformed.

Surely if I stick my old drive (500gb) in to my new console it will just load up everything that was already on it?
I'm sorry nib...but that won't work. You'll be asked to reformat your HDD when you stick it in a new PS3. You have to do the HDD transfer service to get the content on another PS3...which is impossible if your PS3 is broken, obviously. :(

I say call up sony and see what they say.

Huggers

LCfiner said:
we're getting bogged down in minutia.

here's where my frustration lies: by Kaz's account, each premium car takes a looong time to model. VW has three premium model cars that are horribly slow and unfun to drive and cannot be raced against other cars unless they are the exact same model. they are used for some of the most dull and/or frustrating special events in the game.

knowing that these premium models take a long time to make, cost a lot of money and tie up valuable resources, do you really think it was a worthwhile effort for not just one, but THREE of these vehicles to be included in the game - as premium models - instead of having the team spend their time on modeling 3 other types of vehicles? more versatile vehicles, perhaps? they don't have to be VWs. they don't have to be 1000 hp "anti-racing" beasts. just... something better than those three joke-vehicles.

There are some funny choices. It screams of an unfinished work. Like they got so far and had to release it, that definitely explains the lack of sensible prioritising over which cars were premium and which weren't.

Nib, Bad times, very bad times

darkwing

nib95 said:

nope, each HD data is unique for that particular PS3, what you mean it has died? ylod?

Orgun

Noisepurge said:
Going around the Nurburgring in all those AMG Challenges made me want to drive there for real and do some laps. It's even pretty cheap! 22 euros a lap!

Now if they would rent some faster cars than the Golf 1.8 that i have...

Only 22 euros!? Oh man, I just need to get off my arse and learn to drive + buy a car :lol

nib95

Banned
chubigans said:
I'm sorry nib...but that won't work. You'll be asked to reformat your HDD when you stick it in a new PS3. You have to do the HDD transfer service to get the content on another PS3...which is impossible if your PS3 is broken, obviously. :(

I say call up sony and see what they say.

NoooOOOOOO! What a shitty way to do things! I'll ring them up. Is there no way you can stick the drive in to a PC and retrieve just the save file or something?

darkwing said:
nope, each HD data is unique for that particular PS3, what you mean it has died? ylod?

Well, I guess. It just starts turning on (green light), blinks yellow for an instant then turns off and stays flashing red intermittently.

DMeisterJ

Banned
New Patch? :eek:

I've been so busy with finishing up work for the semester that I've only used my PS3 to play small bouts of inFamous (amazing game) and Netflix. I gotta see how awesome the mechanical damage is.

Edit:

20k w00t

New thread get.

nib95 said:

That would be amazing. Oh boy...

I've been through this as well as many others. Unless you can get your old PS3 back on to do a data transfer via ethernet, your GT5 save is gone. Don't give up though. You may be able to get someone to repair it or better yet, you may be able to go at it. There are tutorials and videos that go through it step by step. Most of the fixes will only last a few weeks to a month or two but at least you'll be able to do the data transfer utility once you get your new PS3.

I'm sorry dude, I know exactly how you feel at this moment.

nib95 said:
NoooOOOOOO! What a shitty way to do things! I'll ring them up. Is there no way you can stick the drive in to a PC and retrieve just the save file or something?
Thought about that too when it happened to me. It can't be done. Give Sony a shout or look into local repair, it may be worth it to you. If you send it in to Sony you more than likely won't get the same console back. Try to fix it yourself or look into local repair or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom