• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 |OT2| We Love Cars

plainr_

dwebo said:
Where is this specific post talking about GT5? All I can find via google is some stuff about the TT demo. I tried sharpen for awhile, and really couldn't notice much difference at all, so now I just keep it on normal. Shadow creep along fences is much, much more distracting than slight AA differences. Give me a menu option to fix that, please.

All I remember is someone mentioning that in the first OT thread. I tried it and IMO the picture quality did look like an improvement. It maybe a placebo effect but that's fine with me. :lol

Psychotext said:
Ok... Special Events > Grand Tour > Eiger...

How? I can see exactly where I'm losing time, but I can't fix it. I've messed a ton with the assists and none of it really seems to help. I got my best time (1:18:300) with ABS:1, TCS:1 and everything else off... but that's still 1.3 seconds off. I just can't put any power down without the back wheels going apeshit, and if I use more TC the car wont go around the corners properly, and doesn't really get the power down much better.

Helpz! (Playing on a pad)
I wasn't breaking 1:18 either. I was losing a lot of time on the last two turns, so I just kept pushing those last few turns and making sure I was entering the tunnel right at 50s or bust. Can't remember my setup but I'm pretty sure all assists we're off when I eventually did it but I did tinker with them during the 4 or so hours trying to gold it. One of the toughest golds for me.

conman

JRW said:
Was anyone able to beat the Expert / Historic Racing cup using a 62 Buick Special? It has plenty of power but I cant get the car to handle in corners at all... I have every upgrade (800+ HP) and using Soft racing tires, any tips? or do I just need to buy another car?
I did this race using one of the old Countach models.

Alright I got it. I guess bitching makes me win, lol. So at the very least, the karting events are golded. And what do I get for all my trouble? A fucking paint ticket. Yay. :|

Dead Man

theignoramus said:
Really, the Karting events give people trouble? It's so easy. Rally and AMG driving school are the challenges.
I still haven't managed to finish the last level of the Karts without rage quitting! :lol

AdvanS13

Neo Member
can anyone help me with my driving force gt? got it used, and have tried both in gt5p and gt5. the FFB, steering, pedals, and shift knob work fine. i feel like a noob.

however, i cannot get any of the buttons to work. the giant gt button lights up and it calibrates. the gt button seems to be the only button to work, and it brings up the ps menu, and presses x and sometimes the RA menu all at the same time.

it seems it is fighting my dualshock 3 or its hosed. because i can use the horn, reverse (cant reverse on wheel cause no buttons work!), wipers, while driving with the wheel with the ds3 by my side. but since the buttons dont work on the wheel, i cant drive without both. button functions are all on ds3, and driving is all on wheel.

wtf is going on! ive tried restarting the ps3 with nothing but the wheel. it calibrates, but dpad or nothing works out of game or in game. this happens with or without the ds3 on. i cant soley start the game with the wheel because i only have peddle functions to press start, etc, no left/right functions or x.

suggestions? or a procedure to end all that i am not a noob and its hosed.

thanks!

SteelAttack said:
Son of a bitch.

• Fuck this GT tradition of putting you at the fucking end of the starting grid without even a qualifying lap or something.
  • Fuck the AI driver on the first place who drives perfectly and gets away with a troll face while the rest of the assholes bump into me, slowing me down.
  • And FUCK the fact that it is only me who is sent spinning with the slightest touch while the other racers keep their driving lines to fucking perfection.
I'm on the last karting special event, at the mini ring. I suck. And I'm fucking pissed. :mad:

Yea I felt like that for some reason after my first few tries and gave up. I came back the next morning and beat it in my second try....

darkwing

AdvanS13 said:
can anyone help me with my driving force gt? got it used, and have tried both in gt5p and gt5. the FFB, steering, pedals, and shift knob work fine. i feel like a noob.

however, i cannot get any of the buttons to work. the giant gt button lights up and it calibrates. the gt button seems to be the only button to work, and it brings up the ps menu, and presses x and sometimes the RA menu all at the same time.

it seems it is fighting my dualshock 3 or its hosed. because i can use the horn, reverse (cant reverse on wheel cause no buttons work!), wipers, while driving with the wheel with the ds3 by my side. but since the buttons dont work on the wheel, i cant drive without both. button functions are all on ds3, and driving is all on wheel.

wtf is going on! ive tried restarting the ps3 with nothing but the wheel. it calibrates, but dpad or nothing works out of game or in game. this happens with or without the ds3 on. i cant soley start the game with the wheel because i only have peddle functions to press start, etc, no left/right functions or x.

thanks!

the buttons should work the same as the DS3 when you plugged in the wheel, why don't try turning off the DS3

darkwing

AdvanS13 said:
did, same effect :(

looks like you have a dud there, it really should work perfectly even in the XMB only, although you can't turn on the PS3 via the PS button on the wheel but once it turns on and calibrates, it should work like a DS3

Shaneus

Silly question, but is the power plugged in? It sounds like the sort of thing it would do if it was only getting power from USB.

AdvanS13

Neo Member
Shaneus said:
Silly question, but is the power plugged in? It sounds like the sort of thing it would do if it was only getting power from USB.

unless my lower power outlet is bunk, yes. would the gt light/steering/ffb/calibration still work without power?

Tarin02543

weekend_warrior said:
People are having trouble with the karting events?! :lol :lol :lol

Comon, it's not like it is as easy as Mario Kart. One wrong move and the slow acceleration kills all your progress.

Shaneus

AdvanS13 said:
unless my lower power outlet is bunk, yes. would the gt light/steering/ffb/calibration still work without power?
No idea, just figured it'd be another thing to check. Definitely sounds like a dud then, I'd say.

darkwing

weekend_warrior said:

hey its like one mistake and you are out :( took me a few tries, the rally events, i really don't get how, can't even Bronze them :( and i did great in Dirt

mrklaw

MrArseFace
SteelAttack said:
Alright I got it. I guess bitching makes me win, lol. So at the very least, the karting events are golded. And what do I get for all my trouble? A fucking paint ticket. Yay. :|
You get the satisfaction that you beat it :p

I found the first karting events simple but fun, but the final one is difficult. Watched the AI in a replay and they are full throttle almost everywhere except two corners. Not sure I can keep it that steady, esp. with a controller

Special events will be the meat of my GT for a while, after i'm done with b-spec mode. I know the AMG events will almost be a full games worth in terms of time taken - I just can't do the nurburgring at speed, and in the rain...

AdvanS13

Neo Member
mrklaw said:
You get the satisfaction that you beat it :p

I found the first karting events simple but fun, but the final one is difficult. Watched the AI in a replay and they are full throttle almost everywhere except two corners. Not sure I can keep it that steady, esp. with a controller

Special events will be the meat of my GT for a while, after i'm done with b-spec mode. I know the AMG events will almost be a full games worth in terms of time taken - I just can't do the nurburgring at speed, and in the rain...
i managed with a ds3 on karts. only braked two corners as you said. the first hairpin after the start of the race. and the last right turn before all the twisties leading to the finish.

Yesterday I had real fucking love/hate session (I still love you GT5). I was busting my balls trying to gold the Seb Loeb rally challenge for his car (fuck you Eiger) so after a bunch of attempts I rage exited.

Only way I could feel better was to spend a ton of money on a ZR-1 and Race Modding it (which I like but the 458 Italia drives better imo). I used this to do the last event I have in A-Spec Pro, the Muscle Car Event. I get my level 17 card for finishing Pro and what do I get:

Suzuki SX4 WRC '08. I can't tell if GT5 felt sorry for me or trolled me.

Anyway, can the Ferrari 330 P4 race car compete in the Expert Historic Cup when fully tuned, don't want to waste the money tuning it if it can't, spend enough on the ZR-1.

heliconsoul said:
Anyway, can the Ferrari 330 P4 race car compete in the Expert Historic Cup when fully tuned, don't want to waste the money tuning it if it can't, spend enough on the ZR-1.

I don't think it can. I tried with an untuned 330 P4 and got destroyed. I doubt tuning will make that much of a difference.

weekend_warrior said:
The recommended path is to use the Furai for the A-spec Like the Wind, which nets you the Minolta, which you use for the B-spec Like the Wind, which nets you the Toyota 7, which you use for the Expert Historic Cup.

Tuned Furai or left standard? It's a badass machine right out of the box :)

M.Bluth

weekend_warrior said:
I can't win the last kart event :/
I blame B-Spec, I spent too much time there to get me a Zonda that my driving abilities in A-Spec suffered greatly...

Time to hit the practice mode

dwebo said:
So... how many 24hr races does it take to go from 35 to 40 in b-spec?

Maybe I don't want to know :lol
Given how long it's taking to go from 33 to 34... lots. :(

Edit - Oh... wait, no... It's a trick question isn't it! You can't do the 24 hour race until level 40 so it takes zero 24 hour races to hit level 40. \o/

plainr_

AdvanS13 said:

thanks!

Try it on a PC and see if it works.

kitch9

Banned
Dead Man said:
I still haven't managed to finish the last level of the Karts without rage quitting! :lol

Draft, draft, draft and overtake at the hairpin and the few corners following it, took me about 2 hours to get a perfect run without spinning out...:lol

Crakatak187 said:
Your PS3 will probably die by then if it's a 60 GB :lol

:(
I've got a fan pointing at my PS3 now. It's been on for five solid days and I almost dare not turn it off. When I do I'll be letting it cool down gradually rather than just switching it off.

That's a great idea. The room I'm currently playing in is cold as hell and PS3 hardly heats up at the moment, but I still don't want it to run for 24 hours. Maybe if I had a slim I would.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Psychotext said:
Given how long it's taking to go from 33 to 34... lots. :(

Edit - Oh... wait, no... It's a trick question isn't it! You can't do the 24 hour race until level 40 so it takes zero 24 hour races to hit level 40. \o/

thought the first 24hr race (le mans) opens up at level 35.

I'm stopping at 35 anyway(almost 31) . Don't see any point in going to 40 in b-spec, unless you get a blowjob ticket.

dwebo

mrklaw said:
thought the first 24hr race (le mans) opens up at level 35.

I'm stopping at 35 anyway(almost 31) . Don't see any point in going to 40 in b-spec, unless you get a blowjob ticket.
Hey, that's the only thing keeping me going. :lol

DonMigs85 said:
Dunno if this thing was already mentioned, but has anyone here tried it yet?
http://kotaku.com/5711155/review-hks-racing-controller-is-a-hot-rod-for-your-hands
Looks alright, but at $50 you might as well wait for a DFGT sale IMO

brunoa76

Psychotext said:
Ok... Special Events > Grand Tour > Eiger...

How? I can see exactly where I'm losing time, but I can't fix it. I've messed a ton with the assists and none of it really seems to help. I got my best time (1:18:300) with ABS:1, TCS:1 and everything else off... but that's still 1.3 seconds off. I just can't put any power down without the back wheels going apeshit, and if I use more TC the car wont go around the corners properly, and doesn't really get the power down much better.

Helpz! (Playing on a pad)

spending 2 hours on it :D

At least it worked for me, f... difficult gold medal to obtain with a gamepad.

Toxa

bmw%20m3%20gtr.jpg

DAT Car is INSANELY GOOD (even more than GT4) really I love the standar car :)

Top Bottom