• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

cj_iwakura

So uh, since Maximum Tune and Initial D aren't coming to PS3(in the states) ever, how is this on a street racing/Tuning level? Is it strictly traditional, or are there street racing/drifting levels?

paskowitz

So uh, since Maximum Tune and Initial D aren't coming to PS3(in the states) ever, how is this on a street racing/Tuning level? Is it strictly traditional, or are there street racing/drifting levels?

There is not really any street racing. GT is all circuits. There is drifting, but not against Ai. You have to go online a find a good drift room or find something more organized on sites like GTP. GT5 is really nothing like the games you mention.

cj_iwakura

There is not really any street racing. GT is all circuits. There is drifting, but not against Ai. You have to go online a find a good drift room or find something more organized on sites like GTP. GT5 is really nothing like the games you mention.

Weak, was mostly looking for something with either mountains like Initial D or highway street racing like MT.

Europe finally getting its very own "XL" edition.

"Academy Edition gives Europeans their first chance to buy a disc version of the Spec 2 upgraded game with a free DLC bundle – and it’s quite the bundle, featuring:

Complete Pack (Car Pack, Course Pack, Special Paint Pack, Racing Gear Pack)
Car Pack 2
Car Pack 3 and Course Pack 2
The Nissan GTR driven in this year’s Nurburgring 24 hour race by series creator Kazunori Yamauchi.

The Academy Edition is due for release on September 26th 2012 for €29.99/£19.99 – less than the value of the DLC it contains. "

http://www.gtplanet.net/sony-announces-gran-turismo-5-academy-edition-for-europe/

GT5 to reach 9 million sales confirmed.

amar212

GT5 to reach 9 million sales confirmed.

Ir reached 7.5 at November 2011, prior to release of Greatest Hits (Platinum) release for EU/PAL market, Spec II version for Japanese and XL Edition for US market. All those 3 releases are not included in 7.5 million 2011 report.

I hate numbers-game, but those 3 releases have probably sold great in past 8 months - after the report has been issued. GT5 Greatest Hits (EU release) is constantly on european charts. In last week of June 2012 (4 weeks ago) GT5 Platinum was #2 spot for PS3 Platinum sales in UK (GFK data gives separate listings for Full Price/Budget so we can't know how it compares on current PS3 list with full-price titles), but also on #6 PS3 overall sales in Denmark, #12 overall PS3 in Ireland and #20 on overall games sales (all platforms) in Germany.

And this Academy version will probably make a dramatic impact on top of everything when SuperSlim console gets in the picture.

One day it will be very interesting to see final sales results for GT5.

Polyphony

So Lucas Ordonez suggested that GT6 will include an "amount of (tracks) will be such that will make a hat fall off your head". I hope it's true!

Ir reached 7.5 at November 2011, prior to release of Greatest Hits (Platinum) release for EU/PAL market, Spec II version for Japanese and XL Edition for US market. All those 3 releases are not included in 7.5 million 2011 report.

I hate numbers-game, but those 3 releases have probably sold great in past 8 months - after the report has been issued. GT5 Greatest Hits (EU release) is constantly on european charts. In last week of June 2012 (4 weeks ago) GT5 Platinum was #2 spot for PS3 Platinum sales in UK (GFK data gives separate listings for Full Price/Budget so we can't know how it compares on current PS3 list with full-price titles), but also on #6 PS3 overall sales in Denmark, #12 overall PS3 in Ireland and #20 on overall games sales (all platforms) in Germany.

And this Academy version will probably make a dramatic impact on top of everything when SuperSlim console gets in the picture.

One day it will be very interesting to see final sales results for GT5.

You know... I wasn't being sarcastic. :p I called it before and people doubted me but it's only getting clearer as time passes.

Dead Man

LOL, retails with 2 tracks, everything else is 9.99 DLC

Quiet you, don't even suggest it. It will have all prior GT tracks, all versions of them, and 15 new fictional tracks, 15 new real tracks, and 15 new city tracks. And Mt Panorama. Yes, that seems reasonable. That is what my hat needs. Don't disappoint me again, PD.

AndyD

aka andydumi
I think with an improved track generator/editor and the various real tracks we have so far plus 1-3 more I would be more than satisfied. What I really want is more race car variety. And not necessarily more modern cars, but classic F1 and rally cars would be a good place to start.

So, turns out that we should temper our expectations for gamescom. nofi said that his schedule Has that Japan Studios game listed as a new IP.

dubc35

It Might be time to get excited about gamescom

http://www.psu.com/a016264/Confirmed--Sony-to-reveal-two-new-title-at-Gamescom

The wording makes it sound like the Japan Studio game is an existing IP, and that really could only be GT.
Gran Turismo for Boys confirmed?

I kid, I kid...but I really hope it is not GT Vita.

So, turns out that we should temper our expectations for gamescom. nofi said that his schedule Has that Japan Studios game listed as a new IP.
I don't see GT6 until at least late 2014. I have no facts or data to back that up; just my personal opinion.

amar212

zNsdr.jpg

spats

Yamauchi's quotes from the Chinese event made it sound like they don't have a new portable GT even in a concept stage. Could be devious PR talk, but I'm not feeling too confident about getting a GT Vita anytime soon.

A GT6 for PS4 would mean to wait 2 or 3 years or more.

I would prefer a GT5 final /whatever for PS3 and as PS4 launch title with crossplatform compatibility. Big content update and full 1080p, fixed 60fps and better effects for the PS4 version - the premium cars are already next-gen ready.

A GT6 for PS4 would mean to wait 2 or 3 years or more.

I would prefer a GT5 final /whatever for PS3 and as PS4 launch title with crossplatform compatibility. Big content update and full 1080p, fixed 60fps and better effects for the PS4 version - the premium cars are already next-gen ready.

That's why GT6 for PS4 wouldn't take "3 years or more". They've already had a year and a half after GT5 and I think Q4 2014 would be a good time for GT6. Four years after GT5, quite a few premium cars already there, weather and 24 hours cycle developed...

If not the full game, GT6 Prologue will surely come out around that time, like GT5P did even after they fooled around with that silly GT4:HD idea, but I wish they'd drop the prologues and simply do GT6 and GT6: Spec III or GT7 or Tourist Trophy 2 or whatever. Two or three full games during the generation.

GT5 on PS4 wouldn't improve that much. Framerate is above 50 95% of time if not more, resolution is already 1280x1080. They could use the photomode models (maybe) and up the resolution to full 1080p and improve the shadow filtering and alpha resolution, but the textures and overall look would be too similar. Obviously I would prefer that to nothing if it means GT6 won't take longer to make.

If they're struggling to find things to waste GPU power on next gen I wouldn't mind seeing dynamic clouds casting shadows on the track if they could do it justice.

So, it's now been a month since Kaz has posted a twitter message. It seems like he goes quiet when they're working toward a big upcoming goal (crunch time!). Major DLC or new game announcement incoming?

spats

So, it's now been a month since Kaz has posted a twitter message. It seems like he goes quiet when they're working toward a big upcoming goal (crunch time!). Major DLC or new game announcement incoming?

And he's usually a very prolific tweeter too. GT Vita is presumably off the table, and they didn't make a huge deal out of Spec 2.0. It got its blog post and was rolled out to all users free of charge, so I don't think it would be gamescom material.

Here's my wild card guess: Standalone expansion-type thing with 50 new premiums, bikes and 8 new tracks. If you have GT5, all the stuff will be added to the core game and the GT Life menu gets reshuffled. Retails for the same price as Prologue.

thelastword

Banned
Man, I haven't played GT since getting all gold on the license tests in GT main and clearing GT academy. Have we received the cars for the academy yet? Should be about 3 or so cars right?

amar212

New races are borked. I can only get second at Tsukuba, the MX5's are just too far out in front to catch in 5 laps.

Sorry to use you as example Dead, but these type of comments were one that totally destroyed initial beauty of the original Seasonals.

I am not by the console ATM and can't verify, but I presume you just need to find a second in hour ordinary lap and learn how to mantain it wile catxhing the overtake-sequence.

I wish you best, it have to be doable.

Dead Man

Sorry to use you as example Dead, but these type of comments were one that totally destroyed initial beauty of the original Seasonals.

I am not by the console ATM and can't verify, but I presume you just need to find a second in hour ordinary lap and learn how to mantain it wile catxhing the overtake-sequence.

I wish you best, it have to be doable.

Nope. I need to find 3 seconds a lap on Tsukuba. 420pp 80's Japanese cars on comfort soft tyres. Not easy. I can run 1:09 for 5 laps and still be 15 seconds behind the leader. I have had no problems with any of the other seasonals (well, the Ferrari F1 ones are kicking my controller using behind) but this one seems... broken is the only way it feels. 5 laps at Tsukuba is just too short for me to catch up the distance they start at.

I appreciate you don't want things too easy, I am with you on that, that's why I like these adjustable reward races. I think they should make the default award lower and make it so any idiot can beat it, but if you make it really hard then have the good credit rewards.

Edit: GTP seems to agree so far. http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/showthread.php?t=260533

Edit2: Seems you are best off waiting for a Honda City to be at the front of the field.

Top Bottom