• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Can't watch but I've read there's a new track in there?

Post some screens.

ibjB6j0zybmpHm.png

iTvGYEY1QhsgY.png

I'm starting to think that GT6 is going to be a PS3 game. The fact that they keep revealing new tracks for GT5, and the fact that Lucas mentioned that GT6 is going to be loaded with tracks makes me think that they've got a pile ready to go for the PS3.

I'd rather they make GT6 a PS4 title. Just release Spec III and have GT6 available within the first year of the PS4.

There's only so much they can do with the PS3 hardware.

I'd definitely prefer it to be on the PS4 as well, but i'm really getting the feeling that it'll be a PS3 title. Aside from what I mentioned earlier, there was also a quote from Yoshida saying that they'd probably be talking about it soon since Kaz mentioned it was in development. That was last year. Hopefully PD have been building their assets at a high enough quality that they're scaling it down for the PS3 while also having one at a PS4 quality. That would make the PS4 game arrive a lot sooner. Of course that's all assuming that GT6 is a PS3 game.

Niks

I'd definitely prefer it to be on the PS4 as well, but i'm really getting the feeling that it'll be a PS3 title. Aside from what I mentioned earlier, there was also a quote from Yoshida saying that they'd probably be talking about it soon since Kaz mentioned it was in development. That was last year. Hopefully PD have been building their assets at a high enough quality that they're scaling it down for the PS3 while also having one at a PS4 quality. That would make the PS4 game arrive a lot sooner. Of course that's all assuming that GT6 is a PS3 game.

All rumors seem to point at a Nov/Dec release date for PS4.
If they are indeed correct, there is no time to launch GT6 for PS3. I mean, the hype machine for the PS4 would start at E3.. meaning we would likely get some kind of PS4 GT6 trailer at E3.

For me a Spec III seems more likely tbh.

i4BOnmtzSOOXf.gif

i72EiUX3kA7oN.gif

I wish we could get this effect in photomode.

Hoplatee

It is pretty amazing that this game still gets (free) new content.

I wish we could use that super slow motion effect in replays. Would be awesome.

amar212

I'd definitely prefer it to be on the PS4 as well, but i'm really getting the feeling that it'll be a PS3 title. ... Of course that's all assuming that GT6 is a PS3 game.

Although I was dead certain about GT6 being a PS3 game, I became highly sceptical about GT6 on PS3 after the announcement train has been missed during 2012.

However, I am entertaining myself with the idea of GT6 having some kind of cross-gen release, (something in veins of cancelled "GT:HD" project from 2005/2006) where we *could* get a game that will work on both generations of hardware.

And yes, although I have some info regarding GT6 being a 99% PS4 project for months now, I fully agree with your logic and I would also love to get GT6 on PS3. But somehow the Spec 3.0 or something similar (DLC content and updates) seems so much plausible at this point.

I think how they will try to reprise "GT3" scenario with GT6 where they had GT game released on the very beginning of the generation which resulted with record-breaking sales results for both software and hardware.

Releasing GT6 on the very beginning of PS4 lifecycle with such heavily-modifiable "cluster" structure such as GT5 can do wonders for establishing a strong sales-platform that can generate revenue from DLC on long-term basis and allow them to update the game on the server-side until they want (as GT5 basically).

Of course, another side of logic tells how there are 77M PS3 consoles outthere, how 9M GT5 games has been sold so far and how GT6 on PS3 could easily sell at +10M ATM. Having it being made as "cross-gen" title would do wonders, but it remains to be seen can such magic be produced by PD (and greenlighted by Sony).

Of course, another side of logic tells how there are 77M PS3 consoles outthere, how 9M GT5 games has been sold so far and how GT6 on PS3 could easily sell at +10M ATM. Having it being made as "cross-gen" title would do wonders, but it remains to be seen can such magic be produced by PD (and greenlighted by Sony).

I don't know why Sony wouldn't get behind it. We know that PD has built their car models at a much higher quality than what the PS3 is capable of, but we don't know if the same is true for the tracks. It would give them a GT at the PS4's launch, while also giving them access to the PS3's huge install base. It's really the best of both worlds for them.

But i'm not sure that PD could handle that type of operation. I still don't think that they're that big even with the hirings for their Fukuoka studio. But that could really all depend on whether or not they're building all of their assets at a high enough quality. And I think we would expect other improvements for the PS4 version. Certainly higher quality damage modeling.

Nevermind damage modeling, give me proper collision physics

That's something that they should be able to do with both versions.

GameIndustry.biz just posted an article on how developers can save money. Here's their suggestion for Gran Turismo

Sometimes games are just bloated, period. Gran Turismo 5 took more than 5 years to develop at a cost of over $80 million, and includes over 1,000 cars and 71 tracks. This is just ridiculous; has anyone ever used more than a small fraction of those cars? Get the game engine done in whatever time it takes, sure, but the game needn't ship with more than a few dozen cars and perhaps a dozen tracks. Sell more tracks, more cars, more customizations later, once the game is out there making money.

http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-11-redesigning-game-design

amar212

GameIndustry.biz just posted an article on how developers can save money. Here's their suggestion for Gran Turismo
http://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2013-01-11-redesigning-game-design

This has to be the stupidest thing I've ever read coming from GI.biz.

They normally do not drag themselves into "journous knows better then AAA developers with mind-boggling reputation and sales-records" scheme, but it seems like everyone has to fall on that slippery slope.

AndyD

aka andydumi
That type of gamble could pay off if they do include a strong track generator a la the existing one. That way they can put in a dozen real tracks, then allow generation for fantasy ones. Couple it with a very good sharing/rating platform similar to Little Big Planet, and away you go.

They can release real tracks as DLC also including those new environments and items as generator pieces. And of course car packs.

Sell it at a $30-$50 price point, and also digital day one on PSN and it will sell gangbusters and promote sales of the new console at the same time.

I haven't actually raced yet, just explored the menus and did my license but Polyphony sure do know how to make a game. I feel right at home and I haven't played a GT game in probably a decade. All the menus and stuff are great, only niggle so far is that I can't take my first car into photo mode because it's a standard edition. Happy to see the return of used cars also.

I understand there was a fiasco when the game launched and people were taking unglamorous photos so they locked it? Pity about that. Looking forward to playing some more tonight.

dubc35

Definitely Seattle with the Smith Tower. Also...is that the top of half dome at the beginning and end? El Capitan? Apricot Hill chicane @ 1:14?

Niks

That track existed long time ago, in the original GT5 video fron 2006 with Xanavi GT-R.

Now that you mention it, yeah I now remember.(wasnt that Seoul though?)
Goddamn, PD holding out on all that content since god knows when..

Amar said:
And as I said in the Acura video thread, GT6.

Well, if it is indeed coming out for PS3. Its gotta be happening soon.

Also, seems Apricot Hill is also in the trailer. Great track.

PD now pretty much creates the best trailers in gaming. Even better than Kojima. It's kind of shame that they don't get any recognition for them since they're racing games and it seems that the industry doesn't view them the same way that they view an adventure game or FPS.

-Amon-

Releasing GT6 on the very beginning of PS4 lifecycle with such heavily-modifiable "cluster" structure such as GT5 can do wonders for establishing a strong sales-platform that can generate revenue from DLC on long-term basis and allow them to update the game on the server-side until they want (as GT5 basically).

Both your guesses are valid but the little kid in me wants Yamauchi and Sony to be bold and make GT6 a launch title for the PS4. ( And while we're at it Namco to make a new NeGcon for the PS4 so i will not have to spend 30 minutes to mount my playseat every time i want to drive GT6 ).

Can i dream ?

Of course i can :)

If GT6 is a PS3 game I will go berserk. lol

Me too :( BUT if it has Seattle... maybe I will KINDA forgive them :p

But I truly think that missing the first year of the PS4 would be tremendously stupid for Sony. They need to push PS4 more than they need the sales (which I think wouldn't reach GT5 numbers anyway) of a PS3 GT6.

I also think that if Sony wanted GT6 on PS3 they would've announced it already (see Beyond). Otherwise the PS4 hype would kill it, and PD "teasing" tracks on unrelated trailers doesn't make much sense if they were to release a new game this year.

And both Seattle and Apricot look like a WIP in the video.

amar212

They've apparently changed the sound on the HSV again.

They did, it sounds literally astonishing from outside (chase and roof cam). Unfortunately, high-pitch is nowhere to be heard in cockpit and bumper, although sound is more attractive overall.

Notice I am using custom-balanced rear-speakers in order to get full-spatial sound from in-game exhausts and MR cars (5.1 in Small Theatre Mode) and I am not really happy with lack of that beautiful pitch.

The new Vette is pretty fun to throw around in the corners, but it looks nothing like a Vette. It's mostly a Camaro with maybe some weird little touches of Cadillac in there.

I don't see how people still think GT6 is coming out on PS3, how could they possible improve it enough over GT5 to warrant another installment? Maybe if they've been really forward thinking they'll release a cross platform GT6 in ~3 years on PS3/PS4, but I REALLY fucking hope the next GT disk release is GT6:prologue on PS4. 50 cars, 5 tracks (~10 variations + day/night/weather). That's all I want.

amar212

So, this is the deal a day after.

Although there was some possibility we will get to know some solid info yesterday due to massive revelations of various content and details, that didn't happen. Curtains have been kept shut almost perfectly.

However, what we DID learn for certain is how we've actually witnessed an actual glympse of upcoming clarity and flamboyance, without any idea about which platform or generation are we actually staring at.

What we know is how wait for introduction will not take long actually, June is the month.

What is not know is potential "Spec 3.0" release for GT5, because there is no info about it whatsoever.

So, we have seen the few seconds of the future, but we don't know what, when and where the future will actually persist.

Inter-dimensional philosophical vagueness. As always. Well. At least we know it will be spectacular.

Top Bottom