• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Watevaman

Yeah I don't take any of the sponsor logos as a sign that we'll be getting anything in particular. I'm pretty sure a ton of the Nurb 24 cars (including Porsches) had GT logos on their windshield banners.

Gran Turismo is a major sponsor of SuperGT, Nurburgring 24h and D1GP. So it's pretty common to see that logo plastered everywhere during those events.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've been making some progress over the past week and now I've golded 57/60 of the license tests. The only ones remaining for me are:

IC-3
IA-2
IA-6

We've got a Kaz sighting

In the busiest weekend of GT Academy racing to date, every single one of the “Nismo Athletes” was involved in a top tier international race series – including Kazunori Yamauchi himself.

Yamauchi got procedings underway with a seat in the #28 Schulze Motorsport Nissan GT-R – alongside Michael and Tobias Schulze – for the 38th running of the DMV 4 Hour race at the Nürburgring. With over 200 cars entered – 20 in the Schulze’s SP9 class – in was a very busy race and the team completed 26 laps in 4hr 6 minutes to finish 10th in class.

http://www.gtplanet.net/academy-winners-back-on-track/

He's gone quiet on Facebook and Twitter recently.

rvy

Banned
Tried the two HDMI ranges:

Limited = white dots:

granturismo5_18elymf.jpg

Full = waves:

granturismo5_28nqnz.jpg

I'm getting this now, wtf.

dubc35

Isn't it part of the game? (ie can't be fixed unless the source code is changed)

edit, read Amar's post above Wax Free Vanilla's

Because HDMI range of RGB.

I am not near my console ATM but I vaguely remember it can be solved by changing either RGB Full Range (HDMI) to Limited or Full and/or something regarding Deep Color/Colour Output (HDMI).

You change something there and the "white dots pixelization" disappear pretty much (not in full).

IMO It has to do with the way how graphics engine at night tracks is handling HDR effects (read: lack of RAM lead to another magical shortcut, same as alpha-effects).

It is more prevalent at plasma screens (I am plasma owner) while many of my LCD-friends have never actually experienced it (at least they didn't know what I was talking about back at the time we were trying to *solve* that issue).

The problem is he said he was getting the problem "now", as in, it wasn't like that before. Implies something has changed.

Personally I never had it.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I've been updating it instead of reposting lol.
Now only 2 more to go: IC-3 & IA-6. (they seem to be the hardest ones)

ruttyboy

I've been updating it instead of reposting lol.
Now only 2 more to go: IC-3 & IA-6. (they seem to be the hardest ones)

Heh, I hated IC-3, IIRC it's one of those where you watch the replay of how to do it and the bloody demonstration doesn't make the gold time! In the end I think I had no option but to go on the grass.

I'm watching Pinks right now and it's really making me hope that they bring drag racing back for GT6. I believe that it was one of those features/modes that was on the table for GT5 but just didn't make the cut. So hopefully it'll make the cut this time.

dubc35

I'm watching Pinks right now and it's really making me hope that they bring drag racing back for GT6. I believe that it was one of those features/modes that was on the table for GT5 but just didn't make the cut. So hopefully it'll make the cut this time.

It's been on the table since GT2 hasn't it? Wasn't that the infamous last 1.8% of the game you couldn't complete?

It's been on the table since GT2 hasn't it? Wasn't that the infamous last 1.8% of the game you couldn't complete?

Well, GT4 had the Vegas Drag Strip. Of course you couldn't race two cars with basically defeats the purpose of drag racing. But it does seem like we could get the real thing with GT6

Many online rooms in GT5 are created by players who want to compete against each other in drag races. GT4, of course, featured a drag strip here in Las Vegas, but there is no specialized drag racing track in GT5. Will a formal drag racing mode ever appear in GT5 or return to the series in future games?

I think there is a good chance drag racing will be featured in future Gran Turismo versions, yes.

And I think I have said this before as well, but when I went to see the NHRA drag races, I really got to see how involved those races are, because within a few seconds you can win or lose the race.

So, for example, if you had a car break after three seconds, it’s not strong enough, but if you have one that lasted for ten seconds, it would be too slow to win the race, and I think that’s the gist of drag racing. So far I have found it difficult to incorporate that into the game.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turism...e-kazunori-yamauchis-2012-gtplanet-interview/

ruttyboy

I'm not being judgemental here, it's a genuine question, but can someone explain to me the appeal of drag racing? Both generally and especially in a game where most of the noise/spectacle is taken away. Doesn't it come down to 'press X, your car was/n't faster, you won/lost'.

Celcius

°Temp. member
I'm really looking forward to it. I can't wait to start racing the quarter mile and tweaking my gear ratios to get the fastest time possible.
Back in the day, Sega GT 2002 had it and it was lots of fun as well.

I'm not being judgemental here, it's a genuine question, but can someone explain to me the appeal of drag racing? Both generally and especially in a game where most of the noise/spectacle is taken away. Doesn't it come down to 'press X, your car was/n't faster, you won/lost'.

Well, in real life there are a variety of factors. Your tires catching grip, mechanical malfunctions, not being in the groove etc. Some of those could be worked into a game, but it'd take work. Proper shift points are the main thing that games can replicate easily. And as Kaz mentioned, those races last seconds. They're a very quick high. The fun in a game can just be had in taking the same cars and everyone racing them heads up without modifications, or taking the same cars with modifications where the only difference is in how each person tweaks something like their gear ratio.

Of course if you throw in pink slips you make things even more interesting. But that would require some sort of livery system so that cars become a lot more personal.

ruttyboy

Hmmm, thanks. I guess if everyone had a pedal setup you could compete on throttle control as you say, maybe the triggers too. Tweaking settings is something I've never really got into, so maybe that's why I don't get it.

I can actually see it being quite tense with mechanical malfunctions, but if they ever implemented that I can see (a certain type of) people whining no end about it when they lose and tantrums a-go-go.

I'll post this here since the topic in the main forum is all over the place

gran-turismo.com will soon be undergoing a site renewal. Details are as follows:

Renewal Date:
April 17, 2013

Contents and Services Ending in this Renewal:
- Gallery (Video images will still be available for viewing on the official YouTube channel)
- Download of press assets
- Online related FAQ's for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue
- Gran Turismo TV programming introduction pages
* Gran Turismo TV within Gran Turismo 5 will continue to be available.

Target renewal regions:
- Hong Kong, Japan, Korea, Singapore, Taiwan
**Site renewals for other regional sites will be notified at a later date.

And of course we will continue to bring you the latest information regarding Gran Turismo after the site renewal. Thank you for your continued support.

http://www.gran-turismo.com/sg/news/d21222.html

GT6 announcement incoming?

A quick rundown of some rumors and facts for GT6

Well, Jacob managed to chat with him for a bit asking about Gran Turismo series and it’s future. And the information he managed to get is very interesting. Lucas gave away that Gran Turismo 6 production is in progress and we will be very surprised how accurate and well-reproduced are all the tracks. Also, the amount of them will be simply jawdropping.

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turismo-6-rumored-to-include-large-number-of-tracks/

Bathurst scanned for GT6

http://www.gtplanet.net/bathurst-scanned-for-gt6/

Polyphony seen scanning Silverstone

http://www.gtplanet.net/silverstone-circuit-coming-to-the-gran-turismo-series/

Willow Springs appears in C7 unveiling video

http://www.gtplanet.net/willow-springs-raceway-appears-in-gran-turismo-5-video/

Seattle, Apricot Hill, Ginza and possibly a new photomode location appear in new NSX Concept trailer

http://www.gtplanet.net/gran-turism...pricot-hill-ginza-district-revealed-in-video/

Kaz on the next step for the series

The next step is exactly what you are experiencing here at GT Academy. Racing is a human drama and I would like to achieve that in the next game.

http://www.gtplanet.net/kazunori-yamauchi-hopes-to-acheive-human-drama-in-next-gran-turismo/

Then there are bunch of car rumors/reports. Too many to compile.

Djie

Neo Member
That post about Polyphony scanning Silverstone makes me laugh :)

I was there when they run the track, the equipement was used to shoot stock footage for the GT Academy TV show. If this was the way to scan a track in just 2 laps at 50mph..... I am worried about the quality of the track!

I truly would love to see the track, it would also make perfectly sense as the GT Academy finals are hosted at Silverstone. So I am still hoping, but I am missing the facts.

ruttyboy

It is a very strange decision on Sonys/PD part thats for sure.
I mean, if the game is released in June, then yeah sure. But to release it on the same month as the PS4 comes out?

Well, we don't know when either are coming out and it's a very sound business decision to service a user base of millions. As 'hardcore' gamers we have a bit of a skewed perspective on these things.

I'd be happy with it on PS3, PS4, both, it wouldn't matter, although recently I've been daydreaming about Citta di Aria a lot for some reason, if they got that track in proper HD I'd be over the moon.

Angst

If GT6 releases on the PS3 I'll buy it day one.

If GT6 releases on the PS4 I'll buy it day one and it will be the #1 reason for me to buy a PS4.

amar212

The platform info or something that contradicts the details I posted?

To be completely honest: first I heard GT6 will probably be a PS3 title, that was more then a year ago. Then, few months ago I got an almost straight assurance how GT6 is heading straight to PS4. Then first unofficial rumours about GT6 being actually a PS3 title appeared in public (those you linked and we discussed in last months). And now this.

I have no single idea what of above is true today. Maybe all of it :)

ruttyboy

To be completely honest: first I heard GT6 will probably be a PS3 title, that was more then a year ago. Then, few months ago I got an almost straight assurance how GT6 is heading straight to PS4. Then first unofficial rumours about GT6 being actually a PS3 title appeared in public (those you linked and we discussed in last months). And now this.

I have no single idea what of above is true today. Maybe all of it :)

If you don't mind me asking amar, who are your sources, obviously I don't expect names, but are these people from the media, within Sony Europe, PD themselves?

Cross-gen would be amazing, which is what the mixed messaging is saying to me at the moment :)

The new GT site is up

http://www.gran-turismo.com/

It's much cleaner and faster than the old site (you can compare them since the western sites are still in the old format). The old site image (the on you see before you click on a location) has been changed from GTPSP's cover to a simple shot of a track corner.

amar212

I can't disclose it Rutt, hope you understand.

But yes, crossgen would be amazing, although it is probably a bit far fetched expectation. But you never know.

Top Bottom