• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Business

Cape Ring reverse can give some pretty odd jumps iirc.

I don't now why they keep insisting on these jumps. They put all this effort on making both graphics and physics believable, you see the car suspension over load in corners and you think whoa that looks nice. 50 meters later there's a jump that makes your everyday road car take off and land like a WRC in Finland.

So I'm confused about two things:

1) I've recently discovered a load of videos on Youtube of cars flying hundreds of feet up in the air, tumbling down the road in spectacular fashion. Was this a glitch that has since been patched? In my many, many hours in GT5 I've never come across anything close to this behaviour?

2) Also, has the cosmetic damage been toned down since launch? I remember on launch day, people were posting pics of massively deformed cars, headlights on top of bonnets and that kind of thing, but again, I've never seen anything like that.

Flying cars +300ft in the air have had their BHP boosted with the save editor, I've tried it and the cars take off like a plane. It's also a quick and easy way to test the damage to its max.

ruttyboy

Flying cars +300ft in the air have had their BHP boosted with the save editor, I've tried it and the cars take off like a plane. It's also a quick and easy way to test the damage to its max.

I think most of the videos were pre-hack though, from nearer launch. Oh well, I'll put it down to me not crashing as much ;-)

Speaking of which, I discovered Online Shuffle races this weekend, they're brilliant! As I don't tune, when you're not competing against someone's specially tuned and prepared car three years in the making it's so much more fun/competitive.

One of the races though, the guy who was last came first in the standings, anyone ever come across a glitch like that or was he cheating somehow?

So, I watched the documentary "Senna" this weekend and during a scene highlighting an F1 race on the Monaco circuit, I suddenly got the itch to play some GT5.

Now, the last time I popped in my copy, I had to wait for the very lengthy install of Spec II. To avoid that again (I since erased that data to make HD space), I decided to pop into my local EBGames and trade my OG copy towards the XL version. I'm soooo glad I did!

I am blown away by this game and am truly starting to get the addiction that I felt with the PS2 GT games. It took them a while but Polyphony has finally delivered with GT5. I am so loving this!

Angst

So, I watched the documentary "Senna" this weekend and during a scene highlighting an F1 race on the Monaco circuit, I suddenly got the itch to play some GT5.

Now, the last time I popped in my copy, I had to wait for the very lengthy install of Spec II. To avoid that again (I since erased that data to make HD space), I decided to pop into my local EBGames and trade my OG copy towards the XL version. I'm soooo glad I did!

I am blown away by this game and am truly starting to get the addiction that I felt with the PS2 GT games. It took them a while but Polyphony has finally delivered with GT5. I am so loving this!
Glad to hear it! Now you know what to do - head over to the vs thread and join the heated debate!

Just kidding, don't go there if you value your sanity. ;-)

Niks

Hopefully you will join us in the NRL when GT6 comes around. Great fun.

Glad to hear it! Now you know what to do - head over to the vs thread and join the heated debate!

Just kidding, don't go there if you value your sanity. ;-)

I've been lurking - mostly for the lols. I never get into the debate thing. I enjoy both games for different reasons.

Hopefully you will join us in the NRL when GT6 comes around. Great fun.

May just do that!

By the way, I forgot to mention how astonished I am by the lighting in this game. The way they manage to get it just right is really quite the achievement. I'd love to see a documentary outlining Polyphony's approach to visual design. If anyone has a link to something like that - please let me know. :)

Angst

I've been lurking - mostly for the lols. I never get into the debate thing. I enjoy both games for different reasons.

May just do that!

By the way, I forgot to mention how astonished I am by the lighting in this game. The way they manage to get it just right is really quite the achievement. I'd love to see a documentary outlining Polophony's approach to visual design. If anyone has a link to something like that - please let me know. :)
Unfortunately PD doesn't share much about their development process. There's an old documentary about GT4, but I think that's it. Amar or someone else might know more.

Niks

Yeah, for me its a mixture of godly lighting and accurate materials.

I mean, glass behaves like glass, metal like metal, carbon, plastic, etc... no matter the lighting conditions (including night) they behave accurately..

I think on PS4 GT we will truly see what the lighting engine can do.

So, since we're in a down period in terms of news, does anyone want to speculate on the cover car? Or does Corvette pretty much have in the bag with the C7?

Khronico

So, since we're in a down period in terms of news, does anyone want to speculate on the cover car? Or does Corvette pretty much have in the bag with the C7?

lamborghini-veneno-02-copy-opt.jpg

I'm partial to the Veneno, but I doubt it will be on the cover.

amar212

Unfortunately PD doesn't share much about their development process. There's an old documentary about GT4, but I think that's it. Amar or someone else might know more.

Well, I know few details but not much.

I am happy to have a Japanese-only DVD release of 2002 documentary about developing GT3, called Attack Gran Turismo Special Video. It is very precious footage, especially because it shows how Polyphony approached to breaktgrough-process of creating physics-engine built around wheels (with Logitech back at the time), something that no other developer was doing at a time (and something that many developers are not doing even today).

Here is the DVD intro-sequence with Kaz driving his 996 911 GT3 at dawn at Tokyo >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbjihLI1FC0

There was also a GT4 Making of bonus-documentary DVD with initial copies of PAL release of GT4:prologue, but it mainly concentrates on testing the vehicles.

9TSF.jpg

As far as GT5 graphics/lightning/shaders engine is concerned, all we know is how PD is employing their own custom-built engine made 100% in-house.

Only thing we know for certain is how Polyphony is using what was then (during 2005-2008 GT5-engine initial development, used for both GT:HD and GT5:prologue) one of the two The Illuminate Labs plug-in products - either Turtle or Beast or both, we don't know that info - basically a middleware lightning plug-in for global illumination effects for PD's own proprietary lightning engine and help with some Maya rendering.

In the meantime (2010) The Illuminate Labs have been bought by Autodesk Company and now that particular solutions have been integrated into what is today an Autodesk Beast global illumination (GI) middleware.

Last time any mention of GT series using that solution was during Prologue development phase where Prologue screenshots were even used for print-advertising of The Illuminate Labs in specialized print.

However, since Autodesk bought The Illuminate Labs, Gran Turismo is nowhere to be seen on their official web nor it lists their solutions on the credits.

Worth noticing is how Illuminate Labs' solutions were backthen used also by EA, Blizzard, Epic, SQ and many more while today Autodesk Beast is one of the most common middleware solution in this gen.

Some examples from Autodesk's developer section using Autodesk solutions (size alert):

http://area.autodesk.com/userdata/image/showcase/h/7g9cb-73k85-k68e3-gsy33.jpg
http://area.autodesk.com/userdata/image/showcase/a/qpk27-5b2ec-ukar6-7z2d2.jpg
http://area.autodesk.com/userdata/image/showcase/p/r5g88-f2576-7aqvr-48tc6.jpg

Guy named Luis Nieves did this beautiful video of GT40 using Autodesk Maya plugin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktayh4vpC_U
>> please, watch this video in 720p in full-screen

However, what is in fact MOST FASCINATING about PD's work is actual EFFICIENCY of their engine. They can accomplish that GT5 looks like it looks (despite tearing and slowdowns, really) on hardware as PS3 - and that really is an damn accomplishment. I often copy/paste this description I've made 2 years ago about what GT5 engine is actually doing in real-time during gameplay (and it covers only "visible" parts of actual processes):

60fps/1240x1080p in real-time with everything that is going on during the race - 16 cars on track with scalable physics engine (up to 360Hz) and full-presence (no CPU "shadowing") of 15+1 vehicle AI, real-time HDR, real-time effects of flames and brakes, real-time particle effects (including progressive dirt accumulation on vehicles), real-time smoke, daytime/weather engine with full-HDR properties, real-time ambiance lighting with lens-flaring for both vehicles and surroundings, animated rain with physics properties, animated in-car drivers for all 16 vehicles, movable objects in cockpits, progressively animated vehicles (aerodynamic parts, suspensions and real-time crumble damage, wipers and aerodynamically influenced parts such as antennas, visible progressive dirt accumulation/removal on tyres), on-tracks physics (side-track objects with own physical properties, real-time wind simulation, real-time skid marks..), fully animated multi-team pit-crew AI with own sequences, real-time vehicle properties (mechanical damage, tyre and fuel), real-time track properties that influence vehicles and weather-engine (temperature, air humidity, track temperature, surface humidity..), real-time weather properties with own sub-engine (rain changes into light snow for instance on SSR7 track or clear weather changes to light snow and to blizzard on Chamonix..), ambiance effects (fireworks, etc.), real-time background saving of all race-data, parallel sub-engine for FFB HID devices, 7.1 PCM audio with real-time point-to-object spatiality, etc.)

They are magicians, anyone can say whatever he wants to, but truth is truth.

Double H

Likely the C7. I'd have the Acura NSX as a wildcard and the LaFerrari as a super wildcard (GTHDC's physical release featured the 599).

I am happy to have a Japanese-only DVD release of 2002 documentary about developing GT3, called Attack Gran Turismo Special Video. It is very precious footage, especially because it shows how Polyphony approached to breaktgrough-process of creating physics-engine built around wheels (with Logitech back at the time), something that no other developer was doing at a time (and something that many developers are not doing even today).
That DVD and the one with the GT4 The Bible made clever use of the DVD format's multiple camera angle feature. During the Time Trial chapter game footage was captured from all the available angles so you can switch between them in real time.

A month after GT4's Japanese release an episode of Japan's King Solomon's Palace featured Yamauchi. It covered the game in late development and as they struggled to hit (and miss) their early December release date. Sadly its YouTube and Niconico links are all dead.

http://www.tv-tokyo.co.jp/solomon/back/050130.htm
01.jpg
02.jpg
03.jpg
04.jpg
05.jpg

http://makinya.dyndns.org/blog/2005/01/post_18.html
050122_2300_GT4.jpg

http://successmoon.blogzine.jp/tech/2005/01/31/index.html
snap_img_02720.jpg
snap_img_02721.jpg
snap_img_02722.jpg
snap_img_02724.jpg
snap_img_02725.jpg

ruttyboy

That DVD and the one with the GT4 The Bible made clever use of the DVD format's multiple camera angle feature. During the Time Trial chapter game footage was captured from all the available angles so you can switch between them in real time.

I did not know that. Ever since the release of DVD I've always wanted one that has multiple angles, and now I find I've had one for years! Definitely going to try that tonight.

As for the cover car, I actually think they will put more than one car on the cover this time. They will probably have taken out the standards due to the retarded backlash so they might be wanting to emphasise that their premium car count is still high.

Well, I know few details but not much.

Here is the DVD intro-sequence with Kaz driving his 996 911 GT3 at dawn at Tokyo >> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbjihLI1FC0

There was also a GT4 Making of bonus-documentary DVD with initial copies of PAL release of GT4:prologue, but it mainly concentrates on testing the vehicles.

9TSF.jpg

As far as GT5 graphics/lightning/shaders engine is concerned, all we know is how PD is employing their own custom-built engine made 100% in-house.

Only thing we know for certain is how Polyphony is using what was then (during 2005-2008 GT5-engine initial development, used for both GT:HD and GT5:prologue) one of the two The Illuminate Labs plug-in products - either Turtle or Beast or both, we don't know that info - basically a middleware lightning plug-in for global illumination effects for PD's own proprietary lightning engine and help with some Maya rendering.

In the meantime (2010) The Illuminate Labs have been bought by Autodesk Company and now that particular solutions have been integrated into what is today an Autodesk Beast global illumination (GI) middleware.

Last time any mention of GT series using that solution was during Prologue development phase where Prologue screenshots were even used for print-advertising of The Illuminate Labs in specialized print.

However, since Autodesk bought The Illuminate Labs, Gran Turismo is nowhere to be seen on their official web nor it lists their solutions on the credits.

Worth noticing is how Illuminate Labs' solutions were backthen used also by EA, Blizzard, Epic, SQ and many more while today Autodesk Beast is one of the most common middleware solution in this gen.

Some examples from Autodesk's developer section using Autodesk solutions (size alert):

http://area.autodesk.com/userdata/image/showcase/h/7g9cb-73k85-k68e3-gsy33.jpg
http://area.autodesk.com/userdata/image/showcase/a/qpk27-5b2ec-ukar6-7z2d2.jpg
http://area.autodesk.com/userdata/image/showcase/p/r5g88-f2576-7aqvr-48tc6.jpg

Guy named Luis Nieves did this beautiful video of GT40 using Autodesk Maya plugin:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ktayh4vpC_U
>> please, watch this video in 720p in full-screen

However, what is in fact MOST FASCINATING about PD's work is actual EFFICIENCY of their engine. They can accomplish that GT5 looks like it looks (despite tearing and slowdowns, really) on hardware as PS3 - and that really is an damn accomplishment. I often copy/paste this description I've made 2 years ago about what GT5 engine is actually doing in real-time during gameplay (and it covers only "visible" parts of actual processes):

60fps/1240x1080p in real-time with everything that is going on during the race - 16 cars on track with scalable physics engine (up to 360Hz) and full-presence (no CPU "shadowing") of 15+1 vehicle AI, real-time HDR, real-time effects of flames and brakes, real-time particle effects (including progressive dirt accumulation on vehicles), real-time smoke, daytime/weather engine with full-HDR properties, real-time ambiance lighting with lens-flaring for both vehicles and surroundings, animated rain with physics properties, animated in-car drivers for all 16 vehicles, movable objects in cockpits, progressively animated vehicles (aerodynamic parts, suspensions and real-time crumble damage, wipers and aerodynamically influenced parts such as antennas, visible progressive dirt accumulation/removal on tyres), on-tracks physics (side-track objects with own physical properties, real-time wind simulation, real-time skid marks..), fully animated multi-team pit-crew AI with own sequences, real-time vehicle properties (mechanical damage, tyre and fuel), real-time track properties that influence vehicles and weather-engine (temperature, air humidity, track temperature, surface humidity..), real-time weather properties with own sub-engine (rain changes into light snow for instance on SSR7 track or clear weather changes to light snow and to blizzard on Chamonix..), ambiance effects (fireworks, etc.), real-time background saving of all race-data, parallel sub-engine for FFB HID devices, 7.1 PCM audio with real-time point-to-object spatiality, etc.)

They are magicians, anyone can say whatever he wants to, but truth is truth.

Wow! Great stuff - thanks for sharing.

lamborghini-veneno-02-copy-opt.jpg

I'm partial to the Veneno, but I doubt it will be on the cover.

Likely the C7. I'd have the Acura NSX as a wildcard and the LaFerrari as a super wildcard (GTHDC's physical release featured the 599).

Kaz was at Ferrari recently, so he might've been working something out. The Veneno would be interesting. I like it, but I do think that it's probably too over the top to get the cover. It even looks stranger than the X1. :p

I think the C7 right now is the frontrunner given PD and Corvettes co-marketing on it. But we're still months away from the rumored release and we don't know which cars will be unveiled between then and now. And they might use something even older.

Getting away from cover cars, my most wanted car for GT6 is the BAC Mono. That'll be my most wanted car in any future racing games. DriveClub has it, so that's going to be my go to car.

GT Academy on south america and i will have a serious break from my job.

That's huge if true. Brazilians are die hard auto racing fans, and we've been snubbed so far.

Interestingly Sony has an event scheduled in Brazil next week. Time for a GT announcement?

It's crazy how quickly GT has it's hooks in me again. It's to the point that I've dusted off my GTPSP and loving that as well - it really is a great companion piece to the whole experience. Particularly the ability to buy cars and transfer them into the GT5 Arcade garage. Being able to practice tracks anywhere, anytime is just great.

I'm by no means a car fanatic and normally am not one to get addicted to games but there is just something about these games that reels me in every time. It's a refreshingly "gaming" experience in a lot of ways. The ability to get lost in all the little options of things to do makes that much more immersive and feels less like a game and more like a real hobby. I'll pop it in just to maybe mess around with one of my new cars for a few minutes and I'll find myself, an hour or two later, watching GTTV, trying to create the most beautiful photo or reading through museum entries. I think I may have to seek help lol.

Western GT sites are getting their makeover

The official "Gran Turismo" website will soon be undergoing several changes. Please see the details below:

Relaunch Date:
May 8, 2013 GMT

List of Changes:
- A completely new look for the whole website;
- The URL address will change from "us.gran-turismo.com" to "www.gran-turismo.com";
- The "Gallery" section will be removed;(1)
- The Online related FAQ's for Gran Turismo 5 Prologue will be removed;
- The "Gran Turismo TV" programming introduction pages will be removed;(2)

We will of course continue to bring you the latest information regarding Gran Turismo after the site renewal.

Thank you for your continued support and please look forward to the relaunch of gran-turismo.com!

http://us.gran-turismo.com/us/news/d6944.html

Nearly there?

ruttyboy

The gran-turismo.com site change isn't a coincidence, expect news on the 8th/9th of may!

Nah, it's related, but it won't be linked that closely, the Asian ones changed a week or two back.

I think it's interesting that around the original rumoured date for the MS reveal we had two GT5 maintenance periods and a PS3 firmware update, all of which apparently did nothing (or close to) but weren't insubstantial (amar even said, "in form in which upates are usually coming").

Now the new MS date is the 21st the rumours say there will be a GT announcement a few days before that... Are Sony going to pull out GT6 as a spoiler for the Durango?

Djie

Neo Member
Nah, it's related, but it won't be linked that closely, the Asian ones changed a week or two back.

I think it's interesting that around the original rumoured date for the MS reveal we had two GT5 maintenance periods and a PS3 firmware update, all of which apparently did nothing (or close to) but weren't insubstantial (amar even said, "in form in which upates are usually coming").

Now the new MS date is the 21st the rumours say there will be a GT announcement a few days before that... Are Sony going to pull out GT6 as a spoiler for the Durango?

Expect DLC ;)

Mascot

Just a quick heads-up, UK-Gaf: GT5 Academy Edition is £9.99 delivered, brand new & sealed, from The Game Collection right now. Same-day dispatch. I've used them before and never been let down.

link

ruttyboy

Just a quick heads-up, UK-Gaf: GT5 Academy Edition is £9.99 delivered, brand new & sealed, from The Game Collection right now. Same-day dispatch. I've used them before and never been let down.

link

Hmmmm, stock clearing before major announcement?

I really shouldn't be doing this to myself, going to have a breakdown.

Hmmmm, stock clearing before major announcement?

I really shouldn't be doing this to myself, going to have a breakdown.

It seems like it's going to happen very soon. Jordan even posted another article today saying that the announcement is expected soon. And the article was just about stating the obvious, which is that the boxarts for GT6 are fake and the date is off since the 28th is Thanksgiving.

ruttyboy

It seems like it's going to happen very soon. Jordan even posted another article today saying that the announcement is expected soon. And the article was just about stating the obvious, which is that the boxarts for GT6 are fake and the date is off since the 28th is Thanksgiving.

I hope so...

I just ordered that Academy Edition anyway, I'm right in thinking that the 'Complete Pack' includes all those Touring Cars aren't I?

Mascot

I hope so...

I just ordered that Academy Edition anyway, I'm right in thinking that the 'Complete Pack' includes all those Touring Cars aren't I?

Yeah, I'd have ordered it myself if it included all of the DLC. I'd already bought the Spa pack so it didn't seem worth it, even at £10.

ruttyboy

Yeah, I'd have ordered it myself if it included all of the DLC. I'd already bought the Spa pack so it didn't seem worth it, even at £10.

Well, I have Spa too, but I know I can sell my old copy to my mate for a fiver so it would be rude not to really. Thanks for the tip.

pachuco

I live in Japan and I want to buy Spec II used. Will I still get all of the DLC or will I have to buy it? Usually these "GOTY" packs just have a download code in them.

I live in Japan and I want to buy Spec II used. Will I still get all of the DLC or will I have to buy it? Usually these "GOTY" packs just have a download code in them.

It comes with a voucher for the "Complete Pack" DLC. I'm not sure what that Complete Pack contains though. Only Japan got that iirc.

You need to ask if the voucher was used or not.

dubc35

From the gaming forum:

Fred Dutton, SCEE Blog Manager, has said that the company has “a busy week in the offing” and teases that there are “some intriguing game announcements planned”.

He made the comments on the official Blog, but didn’t return to the comments section to add anything further, frustratingly.

In previous years Sony has made several announcements in the weeks before E3 (which is next month) – titles revealed this way include LittleBigPlanet 2, MotorStorm Apocalypse and Infamous 2.

It’s assumed that a reveal for Gran Turismo 6 on PS3 is expected soon, but this could be talking about PlayStation Vita or even PlayStation 4 games, potentially to offset anything Microsoft have lined up.

Today’s a bank holiday, so all eyes on the rest of the week.

Source

Apologies if posted, tried searching but nothing popped up.

Amar, if you post your info here we all promise not to say anything. Seriously! :p

Amar posted this:

Google translate:

http://gtsurgeons.com/forum/index.php?topic=696.210

Of course it will, but no one has yet dared to tell the details :)

All will be known in a few days, I already wonder that still nothing concrete has been leaked. But there's no way for a couple of days but does not appear anywhere.

Of course, I * content * publication will probably know until this very day, I think the details no one knows except Kaze Japanese and SCE, the details will be published on the same day as the announcement. And it remains to be seen how much we really know about the content itself.

A little patience, companions, finely counts ;)

I personally think that this is what will be the absolute best solution for the long term, but let's wait for the official announcement.

What track and online options are concerned, there will be no fear, we will be satisfied unraveling and that's it.

A few days, a magazine has first dibs, it's got to be Famitsu. Does that mag get released on Wednesday?

GT websites relaunch on Wednesday, which means Wednesday is announcement day

dance2s3a4l.gif

Amar said:
Thank you all for the greatest GTVSFM thread anywhere on the internet.

One more time we need to highlight the importance of its originality and usability and make a plea to Norante to not to make some vague "sim megathread".

We are only days from next round and we need a new playground.

It will be glorious.

Oh, and and owe you the explanation about the *consistency*, I will do it, I promise.

Only days... next round... only days... next round...

4hIPohu.png

Goldrusher

What track and online options are concerned, there will be no fear, we will be satisfied unraveling and that's it.
There better not be a single GT4 track in the game.

Delay the game until 2015 if you must, but the classics need a remake.

trialmountaincircuitkxz2p.jpg

Eh, I wouldn't mind if GT4 upscaled exist. The more tracks the better. It's not like the GT4 tracks look offensive. They just aren't up to par with the tracks that are made for the PS3.

Top Bottom