• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 5 Spec II |OT| - We Love DLC!

Watevaman

weather is important dude this is racing

It's very important but it's not done well enough in GT5. Half of the detriments of weather occur in aspects other than physics. Blinding spray from the car in front of you, the strength of the sun reflected off a wet surface, fog and thick rain lowering visibility. GT5 only really does the surface physics and pretty much ends it at that. pCARS is in alpha and the visual aspects of its weather are leaps and bounds ahead of GT and what PD should be aiming for.

People will probably disagree. But I'd like PD to drop 1080p mode and concentrate on making a rock solid 720p, with no tearing or frame-dropping (Also ditch 3D)

Dibbz

It's very important but it's not done well enough in GT5. Half of the detriments of weather occur in aspects other than physics. Blinding spray from the car in front of you, the strength of the sun reflected off a wet surface, fog and thick rain lowering visibility. GT5 only really does the surface physics and pretty much ends it at that. pCARS is in alpha and the visual aspects of its weather are leaps and bounds ahead of GT and what PD should be aiming for.

GT5 has problems with the rain/weather but come on it does a pretty good job in recreating the lack of visibility due to spray from ahead.

gt5-rain_audi0uxp.gif

What time do the updates for gran-turismo.com generally occur?

I don't think that there is any set time for usual updates. But if they're going to tease GT6 then i'd expect it to be around noon. That's usually when companies announce or release info for games that they tease.

saladine1

Now Jordan seems to be hinting that we might hear something tomorrow when the website updates

http://www.gtplanet.net/official-gr...-may-8th-as-sony-hints-at-game-announcements/

And some details from an insider in the main gaming section

- All cars are premium
- Some new feature dealing with the tracks that's very cool

Wasn't that coming from a guy in this thread?
Or was it the other one?

Anyway, so we are expecting the reveal to happen on Sony's website?
I would've loved to actually see it announced at an event of some sort.

Off topic, but has there been any NFS news lately?
It's pretty quiet on that front..

ruttyboy

We are expecting PS4 images/footage with this GT6 announcement, aren't we? Not just PS3 stuff?

Depends who you are.

I would have said not a chance, except (see my conspiracy theory earlier in the thread) the timing of it seems to be a spoiler for the Durango, and awesome as a PS3 GT6 would be on its own terms, I don't think they would bother trying to match it up to PGR5/FM5 if they didn't have something PS4 related.

ruttyboy

why next week ?

A few reasons, it gives them time to make sure the website is working properly, it's much closer to the Xbox conference and, well, because Amar said so.

EDIT: Hmm, looking back at what he said, it's conceivable that he could have been including the week we were in at the time, so three weeks would indeed be this week. We'll see soon enough I guess :)

I guess they're saving the announcement for Friday, announcement trailer featuring all the 2013 F1 cars to coincide with the start of the European leg of the F1 season.

LOL! :(

dubc35

Unbelievable. With all the good hype PD is building with next week they roll out a 950pp Formula GT seasonal with...you guessed it SRF forced on. Some stubborn people.

ruttyboy

Oh man, after all the GT6 hype, I got a bump back to earth last night. My Academy Edition arrived so I excitedly entered the DLC code, waited for the various keys to download and activate, then I had to boot up GT5 and go to the DLC menu and install them all again, THEN I discovered I had nearly 30 cars waiting in the car exchange from the DLC. Took about 20 minutes of mindless button mashing to transfer them all to my garage...

Anyway, got it done and took my old copy of GT5 round to my friend's along with my old Driving Force Pro wheel for him to have a go (he recently got a PS3). Took about an hour to download and install all the patches (even using the Academy disc) and when we finally got it going I found myself automatically explaining all the retarded design decisions. At one point I actually said, "I do like this game, honestly."

Here's hoping GT6 can sort all this nonsense out.

ruttyboy

Click on car exchange

Click on car ticket

Confirm you want to use car ticket

Wait for car and music to load

Watch animation of car coming out of darkness

Click to confirm the message that you now have the car in your garage

Click to confirm the message that you have a new paint chip

Click to exit out of screen

Click to confirm exit out of screen

Wait for main menu to load

REPEAT 30 TIMES :(

I may have got the order of some of those wrong but it all adds up.

rvy

Banned
Why do that? You can redeem all tickets if you press square and see miniatures of the cars popping in your screen instead.

ruttyboy

WHAT?! Oh for fuck's sake...

EDIT: Where do you press square? I did try in the item list but it only gave me the option to delete.

Click on car exchange

Click on car ticket

Confirm you want to use car ticket

Wait for car and music to load

Watch animation of car coming out of darkness

Click to confirm the message that you now have the car in your garage

Click to confirm the message that you have a new paint chip

Click to exit out of screen

Click to confirm exit out of screen

Wait for main menu to load

REPEAT 30 TIMES :(

I may have got the order of some of those wrong but it all adds up.

Erm, wasn't there an option added to redeem all at once?

Angst

WHAT?! Oh for fuck's sake...

EDIT: Where do you press square? I did try in the item list but it only gave me the option to delete.
It says Receive all tickets in the delivery window. You still have to wait while the game builds thumbnails for all cars.

ruttyboy

It says Receive all tickets in the delivery window. You still have to wait while the game builds thumbnails for all cars.

Thanks, I shall of course be trapping my hands in a door when I get home for being so stupid... how did I miss that update?

So i was playing online last night and this was after some new experiences in PC sims over the last weekend.

I see how people can acuse GT5 of having dumbed down physics. Tuning and racing slicks ruin everything.

Don´t get me wrong, i love both, but it completely turns those "street car 600pp nurb" races into a joke, because there´s nothing realistic about a souped up 458 Italia with racing tires.

That´s something they have to change, because unrealistic tuning kills their entire work into building a realitic simulator.

Angst

So i was playing online last night and this was after some new experiences in PC sims over the last weekend.

I see how people can acuse GT5 of having dumbed down physics. Tuning and racing slicks ruin everything.

Don´t get me wrong, i love both, but it completely turns those "street car 600pp nurb" races into a joke, because there´s nothing realistic about a souped up 458 Italia with racing tires.

That´s something they have to change, because unrealistic tuning kills their entire work into building a realitic simulator.
Yeah, I've come to appreciate stock tyres plus stock tuning more and more after amar insisted we use it when we raced together after the spec ii launch.

Is it tire physics that are unrealistic, or that nobody would realistically put a $2000 set of racing slicks on a 400hp car? We used to allow racing softs for our ~500pp NRL league until Amar set us straight, maybe they should just limit the racing tires to the racing cars.

Top Bottom