• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

They don´t do stuff nobody else does anymore. Back in the day it was GT or just some shitty looking hard to understand and run PC sim. Everything in different these days, the market has spoken and GT6 was a colossal flop that they pretty much given up on it (except for the GT Vision thing that maybe a half dozen people care).

I agree with most of what you said (or at least understand it), but I think "colossal flop" is exaggerated. GT6 is still a million seller. And whenever I boot up GT6 and play some of the seasonal events and check out the latest VGT car, I see that a lot more than just handful people care. There are still tens of thousands of participants for those events. I think there even was news last year that stated that some VGT car was downloaded over a million times..?

Anyway, I agree that GT as a franchise has taken a hit, a big one even; that it split the fan base. But I believe it's still some way down to insignificance, and also that there's a chance that it might still recover.

paskowitz

I agree with most of what you said (or at least understand it), but I think "colossal flop" is exaggerated. GT6 is still a million seller. And whenever I boot up GT6 and play some of the seasonal events and check out the latest VGT car, I see that a lot more than just handful people care. There are still tens of thousands of participants for those events. I think there even was news last year that stated that some VGT car was downloaded over a million times..?

Anyway, I agree that GT as a franchise has taken a hit, a big one even; that it split the fan base. But I believe it's still some way down to insignificance, and also that there's a chance that it might still recover.

In comparison to other GT titles I would say it is safe to say that GT6 was a flop in terms of sales. Certainly in terms of critical and public perception.

I don't even think PD understands that having a car encyclopedia is not exactly a needed or novel idea in this day and age.

Jilt

I totally agree with Seattle6418!
GT6 has flopped. The ones who bought GT6, were the ones playing all the former GT products. The Vision GT cars might look nice, but driving them is horrid.
What GT is good at, is that there is something for everyone. So, there is still activity on the servers, true. When they come with a new game, like GT7, I am not buying untill I have tried it first. Something that would not have been an issue before GT6!!
his is a sound I hear in the community.

Me to, loving R3E, AC end PCars. Makes me wonder, Is GT7 coming even close to that?

IKizzLE

In terms of sales comparison of GT6 to the other five entries, it was a flop. No if's, ands and butts about it.

When you go from 15 million to 11 million to 10 million to 3 million max, that is a flop in any type of business.

It was a flop, but not a "colossal" one imo, that was the differentiation I wanted to make. Especially in terms of critical reception it could've flopped a lot harder (metascore went from 84 to 81), but the sales could also could've been worse.

It was a flop, but not a "colossal" one imo, that was the differentiation I wanted to make. Especially in terms of critical reception it could've flopped a lot harder (metascore went from 84 to 81), but the sales could also could've been worse.

It's hard to imagine that the sales could've been any worse for a GT main title. The game is still not listed on PD's homepage. I know this sounds silly, when the GT homepage features it broadly. But I imagine that the studio is proud of the units they've sold (rightfully so) and it seems weird to me, that they haven't updated the list in a long time (the HP itself has been updates, obviously).

http://www.polyphony.co.jp/english/list.html

Jedi2016

Well, let's put it this way: On launch day, I went by Best Buy to pick it up. They didn't have any on the shelf, so I asked an employee. He was surprised to hear that a new GT game was even releasing, he hadn't heard one word about it. Went in the back, and sure enough, they had about ten copies. He was actually reading the box when he brought it back to me. And this was the guy that ran the game department. I think that's less than zero marketing when your own retailers don't even know you're shipping a game to them.

I still own all six games (not counting prologues and such), but I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with them lately, and it hurts to think I may not buy the next one, and wondering where I'll go to get that particular fix that GT gave me.

paskowitz

Well, let's put it this way: On launch day, I went by Best Buy to pick it up. They didn't have any on the shelf, so I asked an employee. He was surprised to hear that a new GT game was even releasing, he hadn't heard one word about it. Went in the back, and sure enough, they had about ten copies. He was actually reading the box when he brought it back to me. And this was the guy that ran the game department. I think that's less than zero marketing when your own retailers don't even know you're shipping a game to them.

I still own all six games (not counting prologues and such), but I'm starting to get a bit frustrated with them lately, and it hurts to think I may not buy the next one, and wondering where I'll go to get that particular fix that GT gave me.

One blue mouse does not mean there are other blue mice.

That being said, compared to previous GT games the advertising budget was lower for GT6. GT5 has a pretty substantial marketing budget (bundles, TV ads, online, etc). GT6 had a much softer launch.

Niks

they can´t play the graphics card anymore because Pcars and such are beyond what they can do, they can´t play the physics card because an indie game like AC gives you stuff that GT hasn´t even dreamed so they are in a tough spot.

They kinda tried to play the "numbers" angle with GT5/6 to counter that. (standard cars and tracks) and track creator (lol)....
Im a standard cars detractor and I still cant believe how they got away with reusing past gens assets. Thats why its going to be so interesting to see what they come up with in GT7. All those gimmicks are not going to fly this time around.

except for the GT Vision thing that maybe a half dozen people care.

I disagree with this.
GT Vision cars is one of the few things PD did right with GT6. Its about the only thing keeping the GT brand relevant.

Dead Man

In comparison to other GT titles I would say it is safe to say that GT6 was a flop in terms of sales. Certainly in terms of critical and public perception.

I don't even think PD understands that having a car encyclopedia is not exactly a needed or novel idea in this day and age.
I would suggest it is pretty novel these days, and I can see the need, it is just not wanted. I love the car slection in GT, it's the only game series that includes a wide selection of affordable road cars, which is on of the reasons I fell in love with the first game. It is also not something that is available anywhere else. Driving race cars and hyper cars is fun, but I love banging a turbo in a little 90's hatchback and taking on M3's and the like.

Sadly, not many other games seem to take that approach. It is the one aspect of GT I haven't seen done better elsewhere.

I blame PD and Kaz for running the series off the rails. And I blame every other publisher for keeping me dependant on GT with their car selection. Grrr lol.

Jedi2016

I love the car slection in GT, it's the only game series that includes a wide selection of affordable road cars, which is on of the reasons I fell in love with the first game. It is also not something that is available anywhere else. Driving race cars and hyper cars is fun, but I love banging a turbo in a little 90's hatchback and taking on M3's and the like.
This. I get so much more mileage out of the normal cars than I do the hypercars. That's what keeps me coming back to GT over all the other games.

Dead Man

This. I get so much more mileage out of the normal cars than I do the hypercars. That's what keeps me coming back to GT over all the other games.

Yeah, it's really something I miss in other games. PCars,AC etc look like they will be brilliant, they are just not really what I'm after.

Hell, if PD would get rid of the rabbit chases, have full race weekends, fix the sounds and the interface, and include some race customization options without needing to be in arcade, I would probably forgive them all the rest of their stupidity just for the car selection.

Jilt

I am not suprised by this. The release of GT6 fell almost together with the release of the PS4. All the marketing of Sony went to that budget.

dubc35

Oh PD

SFpl1c5.jpg

RaijinFY

Now it´s all hit and miss, their priorities are all just plain wrong and the big thing is they are not the only ones in town. There´s people giving you the scale of a GT game in Forza, they can´t play the graphics card anymore because Pcars and such are beyond what they can do

Well at least on the graphics department let's wait until they release their game on PS4... because comparing a PS3 legacy production (basically a 2005 product) to others started on a PC environment isn't really fair.

So things seem to be lining up for an update early next week with the "4" days away comment from Alpine. Could this be the big one we're all waiting on? Doubt it. The new Daytona seasonal was a nice surprise for a Thursday night. I could get used to unannounced random seasonals.

I really believe that they just lost it and they won´t be able to ship a game in 2015 or 2016. The sim market has changed a lot and PC sims are much more friendly these days, not to mention they are coming to the consoles as well.

I had the same impression as Pask had when talking to Kazunori and translator san. It seems like they feel betrayed or just disconnected with their fan base.

It´s almost as if they expected loyalty or GT to be treated as a religion when in fact it´s just a product. Once something else gives you a better experience, you just move on.

Games like Assetto Corsa, Pcars and Raceroom are giving continuous slaps in their face and they keep acting like they can do no wrong.

I think it´s pretty clear what happened: back in 1998 they made us believe that a sim racer was possible. What they did was exactly what most of us wanted.

Technology kept evolving but their dreams didn´t. What they did was good enough on PS2, but the shortcomings were too much to be ignored in the PS3 era.

Now it´s all hit and miss, their priorities are all just plain wrong and the big thing is they are not the only ones in town. There´s people giving you the scale of a GT game in Forza, they can´t play the graphics card anymore because Pcars and such are beyond what they can do, they can´t play the physics card because an indie game like AC gives you stuff that GT hasn´t even dreamed so they are in a tough spot.

They don´t do stuff nobody else does anymore. Back in the day it was GT or just some shitty looking hard to understand and run PC sim. Everything in different these days, the market has spoken and GT6 was a colossal flop that they pretty much given up on it (except for the GT Vision thing that maybe a half dozen people care).

I think it´s a huge bummer because i don´t think they will get their mojo back. Most of their fanbase became way too hardcore for them and the casual players are also not interested on what they are giving.

We end up splitting, trying different sims and enjoying bits and bits of those games, but the idea of a game that has it all and does it all is finished because they never changed their approach.

They think it´s best to spend time modelling the inner parts of a headlamp and creating moon racers, and of course the market will adjust to this and respond in the only way it can: sales.

To be fair, we haven't seen what they can do on the PS4 yet. I think we need to wait and see what the true next-gen Gran Turismo looks like before we can say they've lost it.

dubc35

So things seem to be lining up for an update early next week with the "4" days away comment from Alpine. Could this be the big one we're all waiting on? Doubt it. The new Daytona seasonal was a nice surprise for a Thursday night. I could get used to unannounced random seasonals.
I enjoyed the Daytona event too...and I finished 14th (low pp car). I will definitely play it again.

March 2015 :(

Guess no January update and maybe, if we are very lucky, a small February update. :(

The blog mentions that this was unveiled at Alpine's 60th Anniversary celebration. So, it's quite possible that we'll see another car unveiled and released before March since they announcements seem to come fast and out of nowhere.

I'm still looking forward to Lamborghini's car the most. Simply because of what they did with the Egoista.

I think there was a trace of a third VGT in 1.15 but I was waiting until this month's update to be sure. Oh well

Aren't Nissan revealing their LeMans car next month?

TTG

Anyone else starting to feel like the Vision GT cars are a waste of resources and industry connections? Looking at every one of these premiers, it represents a relatively big commitment from the manufacturers and it boils down to what? I fire the game up, lap the car for 20 minutes and promptly shut it back off. It needs more than a hot lap event and, more importantly, it needs a game that's more than a mistimed incremental step forward in tech and scantily anything else.

What I mean is, GT6 is a good game, but hot laps with these cars aren't extending its life any and the whole endeavor is falling on deaf ears. Maybe a PR division at Renault sees the Autoblog article and thinks, "Job well done!" But it seems underwhelming from where I'm sitting.

benzy

Anyone else starting to feel like the Vision GT cars are a waste of resources and industry connections? Looking at every one of these premiers, it represents a relatively big commitment from the manufacturers and it boils down to what? I fire the game up, lap the car for 20 minutes and promptly shut it back off. It needs more than a hot lap event and, more importantly, it needs a game that's more than a mistimed incremental step forward in tech and scantily anything else.

What I mean is, GT6 is a good game, but hot laps with these cars aren't extending its life any and the whole endeavor is falling on deaf ears. Maybe a PR division at Renault sees the Autoblog article and thinks, "Job well done!" But it seems underwhelming from where I'm sitting.

I think the VGT project is still great for the manufacturers in providing a motive to engineer nonrestrictive designs that may help them with future production developments. Game-wise I never really expected special championships or anything more than just being able to drive them within the current game structure.

But yeah, I'm burnt out on GT6 too and even the VGT cars can't get me back into the game for long. I don't even think the course creator would do much for me either. I'm ready for them to just unveil and focus on GT7.

PD also takes way too long to release some of these VGT cars and updates, the modelling is already done, why wait until 2 more months to release the Alpine? One of the reasons why I keep going back to playing Driveclub is because there are new tracks, game updates, and cars releasing every single month since release.

AlphaSnake

...and that, kids, was the first time I sucked a dick for crack

I didn't like them from the start. Pointless toy cars that don't intrigue me one bit. I wanted more tracks and up to date REAL cars. Not this.

Niks

Vision GT was (is) a great idea.
Getting real world manufacturers to design one-of-a-kind dreamland cars and bring them to GT is incredible...the thing that SUCKS is that there's no community behind it or other track DLC to back it up. Again, it comes down to the fact that GT6 did not sell well.

Jilt

I find the fact that so few of them have interiors to be just ridiculous. What is the point of a spaceship without a cockpit?

I think the whole VGT series is a farce. It's a nice try to get the automotive companies involved and attached, but it seriously sucks driving these cars.
For me Gran Turismo 6 is SOOOO 2014.....

I didn't like them from the start. Pointless toy cars that don't intrigue me one bit. I wanted more tracks and up to date REAL cars. Not this.

My thoughts as well... i just keep watching my view and hopes for a racing sim getting further and further away from what Kazunori considers a priority. Highest of higs and lowest of lows, it´s a shame the series has become this.

Hmm, Lexus was blank in update 1.15 so maybe a Feb double or it and the Jordan will sandwich the Alpine? I wish they would just a mass dump the rest and then start releasing the bikes.

So it looks like we're getting paintable spoilers sometime soon. Any thoughts? I think I've painted two brake calipers ever. Once to see what it looks like and once because I forgot what it looked like. I'll probably paint more of the spoilers.

dubc35

So it looks like we're getting paintable spoilers sometime soon. Any thoughts? I think I've painted two brake calipers ever. Once to see what it looks like and once because I forgot what it looked like. I'll probably paint more of the spoilers.

About time! I've been clamoring for this for ages! /sarcasm

FFS, put a fork in the series, it's done.

paskowitz

So I sat down and played GT6 for about 3 hours today to examine the physics... they have not aged well. Mid slide oversteer is about the only thing that feels acceptable. Everything else... is just bad.

So I sat down and played GT6 for about 3 hours today to examine the physics... they have not aged well. Mid slide oversteer is about the only thing that feels acceptable. Everything else... is just bad.

The game is a year old. What has come out that is massively better than what it has been compared to back then?

I feel the same.

I don´t know, i can´t pinpoint exactly what´s so lacking, but one of the things is the horrible force feedback. Driving the BMW Z4 GT3 in both GT6 and Assetto Corsa i just can´t accept GT6 anymore due to the feedback, before other differences.

It´s very tough to explain the differences because on your average drive they both look familiar, the physics seem ok, but only when you push the car to the limits that you can see some differences.

I think GT6´s tire model is just bad, it struggles to provide a good transition of grip - no grip.

I feel like i´m treating this game badly but everytime i try to get into GT6 again i just can´t, there´s definitely something off and it´s a combination of little things. GT has always had the great redeeming quality of being great to drive around, even if the rest of the game sucked. Now i feel like that´s also slipping.

I don´t know what to expect anymore. Very few cars feel fun to drive. I guess we´ll just have to give the series a rest and come back with a fresh mind in 2017 or so once GT7 releases.

Jilt

I feel the same.

I don´t know, i can´t pinpoint exactly what´s so lacking, but one of the things is the horrible force feedback. Driving the BMW Z4 GT3 in both GT6 and Assetto Corsa i just can´t accept GT6 anymore due to the feedback, before other differences.

It´s very tough to explain the differences because on your average drive they both look familiar, the physics seem ok, but only when you push the car to the limits that you can see some differences.

I think GT6´s tire model is just bad, it struggles to provide a good transition of grip - no grip.

I feel like i´m treating this game badly but everytime i try to get into GT6 again i just can´t, there´s definitely something off and it´s a combination of little things. GT has always had the great redeeming quality of being great to drive around, even if the rest of the game sucked. Now i feel like that´s also slipping.

I don´t know what to expect anymore. Very few cars feel fun to drive. I guess we´ll just have to give the series a rest and come back with a fresh mind in 2017 or so once GT7 releases.

Dudes, you play way to much Project CARS and Assetto Corsa.
You can't blame Gran Turismo 6. It's built on an inferior console which is not up to the standards of the PC's you are using, nor the next generation consoles.
What you are missing in GT6 is exactly how I feel. My PS3 is disconnected......
How to describe it though, well, it is the whole package.
Not only is the FFB better in the other games, but it is the graphics, the sound, the feel, the nooks and crannies, details and stuff like that.

But be honest, it is not to be compared with AC, R3E, PCars and other next generation games.

GT6 is a pimped version of GT5 on a machine that was too slow and restricted to make that game on.

It is not fair to compare.....

It does however mean, that we all have to be very very critical on the next generation of the Gran Turismo series. If that is comparible to the now generation games we are talking about, the GT series have a reason to survive. Otherwise, it is doomed to fail.

EDIT: By the way, how serious a game developer are youy when the whole community shouts, better FFB, more RL tracks, better physics model, and you decide to deliver paintable wings and non existing non drivable cars....

Dudes, you play way to much Project CARS and Assetto Corsa.
You can't blame Gran Turismo 6. It's built on an inferior console which is not up to the standards of the PC's you are using, nor the next generation consoles.
What you are missing in GT6 is exactly how I feel. My PS3 is disconnected......
How to describe it though, well, it is the whole package.
Not only is the FFB better in the other games, but it is the graphics, the sound, the feel, the nooks and crannies, details and stuff like that.

But be honest, it is not to be compared with AC, R3E, PCars and other next generation games.

GT6 is a pimped version of GT5 on a machine that was too slow and restricted to make that game on.

It is not fair to compare.....

It does however mean, that we all have to be very very critical on the next generation of the Gran Turismo series. If that is comparible to the now generation games we are talking about, the GT series have a reason to survive. Otherwise, it is doomed to fail.

EDIT: By the way, how serious a game developer are youy when the whole community shouts, better FFB, more RL tracks, better physics model, and you decide to deliver paintable wings and non existing non drivable cars....

I´m yet to play Pcars because i didn´t join the crowdfunding (my PC wouldn´t run i thought, i now regret), but i do play the others. I think we can compare, they are all consumer products, you compare what´s out there on the market.

They are not going to release a game in 2015, and they are not going to release a game in 2016... in the meantime GT6 is what they have to offer. It´s going to be compared to whatever is on the market.

It was PD´s decision to have another go on the PS3 AFTER knowing that GT5 was way too ambitious for the PS3 and that they needed more hardware power to achieve their vision.

I went on a crusade against GT6 on PS3 because it was such a terrible idea that i couldn´t even understand. It meant having a proper next gen GT game only in 2017 at the earlyest. "But we don´t know for sure, they haven´t announced a release date".

Yeah, right, only the same fan who believed GT6 on PS3 was a good idea will believe that they can ship a game complex like GT this year or in 2016. Translator san himself told me in november at SEMA that they just started working on PS4.

I remember taking a lot of heat for being so against the idea of GT6 on PS3, i was too negative, user base, new features, blablabla. The market has spoken with the sales and the worst part of all of this is delaying and compromising GT7.

We can only compare to what´s out there in the market. Since people aren´t really playing GT it´s only natural that they´ve moved on to other things. It´s not fair to compare modern PC games to ancient PS3 tech, but what can we do? It was their choice.

The new suspension and tyre models didn't even make it in GT6, it was all lies.

Is this confirmed with the debug version?

The promises of a new model were nice, but after knowing that the physics are automatically generated it just feels hit and miss in most cases. Sounds are automatically generated, tires are a variable applied the same on each and every car and the driving physics are just a bunch of code that may or may not suit the car.

But hey, the inner outings of the headlamps of the Audi R8 are perfect!

The tires do not resemble the ones in real life, the physics are mathematically generated, the sounds are based on stretched samples, but authenticity! Just look at those headlamps!

Yeah, priorities...

It´s really a shame to realize that their vision is so disconnected with ours these days. It used to be really good back in the PS1/PS2 days. "oh, but the hardcore audience is maybe 1% of the userbase, so you´re not being fair".

I would accept this criticism if the sales were good. Since GT6 bombed everywhere, they are not pleasing the hardcore crowd neither the casuals. To say that the series is going downhill is being nice.

Niks

It was PD´s decision to have another go on the PS3 AFTER knowing that GT5 was way too ambitious for the PS3 and that they needed more hardware power to achieve their vision.

I went on a crusade against GT6 on PS3 because it was such a terrible idea that i couldn´t even understand. It meant having a proper next gen GT game only in 2017 at the earlyest. "But we don´t know for sure, they haven´t announced a release date".

Yeah, right, only the same fan who believed GT6 on PS3 was a good idea will believe that they can ship a game complex like GT this year or in 2016. Translator san himself told me in november at SEMA that they just started working on PS4.

I remember taking a lot of heat for being so against the idea of GT6 on PS3, i was too negative, user base, new features, blablabla. The market has spoken with the sales and the worst part of all of this is delaying and compromising GT7.

Preach it. It was a terrible, terrible decision.
The fact they decided to ship this game one week after the release of the PS4 speaks for itself.

hirokazu

It´s really a shame to realize that their vision is so disconnected with ours these days. It used to be really good back in the PS1/PS2 days. "oh, but the hardcore audience is maybe 1% of the userbase, so you´re not being fair".

I would accept this criticism if the sales were good. Since GT6 bombed everywhere, they are not pleasing the hardcore crowd neither the casuals. To say that the series is going downhill is being nice.

GT5/6 is neither fun, nor playable for casuals if that's who they were aiming for, LOL.

Top Bottom