• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 6 |OT| Moon Rover The Castle

Watevaman

I see why they said the Mazda was inspired in shape by the 787B. It's absolutely gorgeous.

edit: can't even test it, because PSN is down for maintenance

Ding-Ding

Anyone else really letting GT6 slide, if they have brought themselves a PS4?

I even find that the daily login bonus is playing against GT6 now. I forget to boot the game up and keep the multiplier going, yet don’t want to race for the normal amount of credits. So I seem to be going around in circles. Login one day, forget the next and never go racing.

Though now I am mainly playing Driveclub for my driving fix (it’s really the arcade replacement I have been looking for since PGR went down the toilet). I can’t help but think about GT7 whilst playing it. Tech aside, just going through the car line-up I can’t help but feel they will really add to GT7 (if included). They will really fill in gaps that are missing in GT6’s line-up. Should make for some interesting competition between makes/models.

I just hope the cars are to PD’s standard (sure look it). Also, has anyone done comparisons between GT6’s and Driveclubs cars that appear in both games? I notice some differences in certain models (quickly looking), but they seem minor alterations.

Reason why, I still would find it stupid if Driveclubs cars were built from the ground up by Evo staff, when PD have a model with the main work already done. Especially as Evo only seem to have 5 car modellers on staff

benzy

Evo models all of their cars from scratch. They use CAD data and don't scan the cars like Polyphony do. The exteriors don't seem to be that big of a difference but the in-game cockpits in DC are a lot more detailed in terms of materials, textures, and shaders than in GT6. I doubt Evo and Polyphony are going to share car models in the future though. PD is pretty stuck up for wanting to create the models to their liking and prefer to have one of their own model the car out of pride and craftsmanship.

I do think there's a chance they might be sharing some tech as it's typical of Sony first party studios. DC's physics-based raindrops looks really similar to the GT5 weather trailer before the rain effects were downgraded and low-res in the final game. Obviously they've added some improvements and additions like the rain drops actually puddling up and fusing together. These are the only 2 games with these effects, both Sony studios, and no PC racing dev has even tried to attempt the same thing even though they have much more hardware power to play with.

tmchot.gif

jahplo.gif

Ding-Ding

Interesting that Evo use CAD data. However, wouldn't that negate the very reasons why PD didn't like outsourcing, because of the accuracy of the content received back?

It would be difficult for PD to argue that, if manufactures CAD data were used for Driveclub's cars. I would also think it would be easier for PD to control the quality of the content, with Evo being another Sony internal studio (before it would have to have been outsourced to a 3rd party).

Anyway, regardless of how PD "feels", I doubt Sony would be happy with two internal studio's creating the same content just because one of them studio's doesn't want to share their toys

ShamePain

Banned
Interesting that Evo use CAD data. However, wouldn't that negate the very reasons why PD didn't like outsourcing, because of the accuracy of the content received back?

It would be difficult for PD to argue that, if manufactures CAD data were used for Driveclub's cars. I would also think it would be easier for PD to control the quality of the content, with Evo being another Sony internal studio (before it would have to have been outsourced to a 3rd party).

Anyway, regardless of how PD "feels", I doubt Sony would be happy with two internal studio's creating the same content just because one of them studio's doesn't want to share their toys

Gran Turismo is Sony's biggest franchise, I think they just let Kaz do whatever the hell he wants.

Did they ever add the 0-60 test from gran turismo 5? I havent played since last year and I remember missing that feature.

Not yet. Strange really. You'd figure Kaz would be more concerned about tuning. As it stands you can run full course time trials but there are only 8 save slots so you either have to erase and lose data to save a current time or keep a paper log once you use those slots.

dubc35

Looks interesting. I still need to try out the Mazda. It's nice some of these are starting to look different from one another.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
Does GAF have an online club? Are they more on the competitive or casual side? I just came back to this game after a year so sorry if it's been said before.

MGR

19th September 2013
11 weeks till GT6 release

Kazonuri Yamuchi said:
“Yes. In regards to the course maker, it is cutting it really close as to whether or not it will make it in time for day one or not for GT6. It’s definitely going to be there, but whether or not it will be available from day one I’m just not really sure right now."

1 year, 3 months later...

Not knocking the free updates, but I really struggle to care about the VGT cars.I would infinitely prefer to have some classic real life race car DLC delivered on a regular basis.
Would kill for an ATCC Group C set.

7HkDMeh.jpg

amar212

19th September 2013
11 weeks till GT6 release

1 year, 3 months later...

Not knocking the free updates, but I really struggle to care about the VGT cars.I would infinitely prefer to have some classic real life race car DLC delivered on a regular basis.
Would kill for an ATCC Group C set.

7HkDMeh.jpg

I have NO SINGLE evidence for the following, but it really seems to me that majority of studio has jumped on the PS4 development.

No way that it takes 50 modelers to model only VGT cars, besides we know it is one person per car, so we should be getting at least 50 cars during past 6 months.

Also, I am honestly expecting both Course Maker and B-Spec to land in GT6 at some point, but I think that full and advanced version of both will come with GT7.

benzy

I've given up on the course maker on ps3 completely. It's taken them way too long by now for me to even care anymore.

offshore

Was it ever clear what form course maker in GT6 was going take? If it was meant to be like GT5's, just with bigger environments, then there's no interest there for me, as GT5's CM was pretty pointless.

Expecting a V-Rally 2-type editor is probably too much, but there's got to be more control in the next CM, otherwise I just don't see what the point is.

Watevaman

Was it ever clear what form course maker in GT6 was going take? If it was meant to be like GT5's, just with bigger environments, then there's no interest there for me, as GT5's CM was pretty pointless.

Expecting a V-Rally 2-type editor is probably too much, but there's got to be more control in the next CM, otherwise I just don't see what the point is.

Originally there was mention of a GPS course creator, where you could drive a road and import the coordinates into your game or something. I honestly don't think that'll show if the course maker even gets included in GT6, but maybe it's a possibility if they're already working on GT7.

magawolaz

Does GAF have an online club? Are they more on the competitive or casual side? I just came back to this game after a year so sorry if it's been said before.
I'd be down for some time trials a la GTplanet.
I better avoid races since last time I accidentally rear-ended Risk Breaker and I still remember him being mad at me
(soooo sorry about that, RB)

It wasn't exactly clear but it was meant to be large area(s) based on real terrain data, they showed a picture of Andalucia as an example. My guess it would have been similar to GT5 except letting you move the nodes around manually instead of them being randomly generated. Sierra looks like it could have been an example of this system that never made it any further.

Niks

I have NO SINGLE evidence for the following, but it really seems to me that majority of studio has jumped on the PS4 development.

Let's pray and hope that is indeed the case. No sense to invest resources and time to a game that bombed.

Hopefully we'll get an announcement or trailer at E3.

Let's pray and hope that is indeed the case. No sense to invest resources and time to a game that bombed.

Hopefully we'll get an announcement or trailer at E3.

I could only forgive them, if they manage to get full G27 support with FFB into the game.
If not, then they'll suck forever for misleading the fans with their false advertising for GT6 and Sony should close the studio and Kaz should go to hell for it and Translator-san should work for Xbox Japan. Punish them all!

MGR

No way that it takes 50 modelers to model only VGT cars, besides we know it is one person per car, so we should be getting at least 50 cars during past 6 months.

Also, I am honestly expecting both Course Maker and B-Spec to land in GT6 at some point, but I think that full and advanced version of both will come with GT7.

I'd say its almost a certainty that the majority of the dev team are working on the PS4 now, but that doesn't excuse them from not finishing the game they promised over a year ago.

They really have screwed themselves with this because they have to deliver B-Spec and a course maker but they'll still get chastised for how ridiculous long it's taken and at this point the vast majority of people won't give a shit about it. Such a waste.

*edit

And this is what they should have been doing on a regular basis instead of VGT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq2hrqE5Ms8

Dead Man

I'd say its almost a certainty that the majority of the dev team are working on the PS4 now, but that doesn't excuse them from not finishing the game they promised over a year ago.

They really have screwed themselves with this because they have to deliver B-Spec and a course maker but they'll still get chastised for how ridiculous long it's taken and at this point the vast majority of people won't give a shit about it. Such a waste.

*edit

And this is what they should have been doing on a regular basis instead of VGT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cq2hrqE5Ms8

Indeed. With the game still unfinished I expect Kaz to be head down, arse up, but they don't seem to give a fuck. Not a great way to get consumers on side, and certainly not a great way to give me any fucking confidence that 7 will be either finished at release, or supported after release.

Glad I bought 6 used, and really not looking forward to 7 at this rate. :( Makes me sad and angry all at once.

MGR

Indeed. With the game still unfinished I expect Kaz to be head down, arse up, but they don't seem to give a fuck.

Not a single one.

Even Jordan @ GT Planet officially gave up on Kaz's Q&A

NOTICE: This forum has been closed for new posts or questions due to a lack of responses from Kazunori Yamauchi.
http://www.gtplanet.net/forum/threads/note-kazunori-q-a-forum-now-closed-for-posting.309297/

Poor bastard. All those years of work and support for the Gran Turismo series and this is how he's treated.

hirokazu

No doubt they've lost a good of fan goodwill with GT5 and GT6.

With GT5 they tried to put in too many features and ended up with delay after delay with a release product that feels like it aspired to do more, but never did.

But that's probably better than releasing a half-finished product with an IOU promise of adding in the rest of it later, as they did with GT6 (no doubt to avoid another GT5 situation). People bought up on that promise but it doesn't seem like PD are really putting many resources into fulfilling it, unfortunately.

It's sad, but they probably won't see the damage they've done to their own brand unless people stop buying their games. Too bad we'll probably believe the hype again when GT7 rolls around. >_>

With GT5 they tried to put in too many features and ended up with delay after delay with a release product that feels like it aspired to do more, but never did.

But that's probably better than releasing a half-finished product with an IOU promise of adding in the rest of it later, as they did with GT6 (no doubt to avoid another GT5 situation). People bought up on that promise but it doesn't seem like PD are really putting many resources into fulfilling it, unfortunately.

It's sad, but they probably won't see the damage they've done to their own brand unless people stop buying their games. Too bad we'll probably believe the hype again when GT7 rolls around. >_>
GT5 with all it's faults was still a great game, 6 is easily the worst GT game, but I really feel 7 will return the series to it's former glory.

dubc35

Just like everyone felt that they learned their lesson with GT5 and would knock it out of the park with 6?

PD had a solid reputation of making good odd numbered games and great even numbered games. We all drank the PD kool-aid for 6 thinking it would be the 4 of the ps3 gen. It was obviously not up to the billing.

Dead Man

Just like everyone felt that they learned their lesson with GT5 and would knock it out of the park with 6?

Funny thing is that from a consumer standpoint they seem to be getting worse since the release of 6, not better. Yeah, VGT, but still no B Spec, no course maker, and now bailing out of the one communication channel they did open. It's okay to not communicate if your product is great. When it's not, and it isn't even fucking finished is when it becomes vital to regain consumer confidence. Utterly baffling that Sony allows this shit to continue.

dubc35

Funny thing is that from a consumer standpoint they seem to be getting worse since the release of 6, not better. Yeah, VGT, but still no B Spec, no course maker, and now bailing out of the one communication channel they did open. It's okay to not communicate if your product is great. When it's not, and it isn't even fucking finished is when it becomes vital to regain consumer confidence. Utterly baffling that Sony allows this shit to continue.

I'm convinced Kaz has a "no fucks given" clause as long as he makes a profit quota.

paskowitz

I think Kaz actually resents the fact that the overall fans of GT do not share his exact vision for the franchise and dislike him, and the franchise a result. I think this makes him "shun" the GT community in a way. He has an uncompromising vision for the franchise and there is no room for anything different in his mind.

I had a chance to observe and briefly converse with him at the Jalopnik Film Festival and he struck me as a savant. Not autistic (Elon Musk-esk) but just on a different plane of thought. IDK if this sounds crazy, but this is just the way I saw it.

Niks

I think Kaz actually resents the fact that the overall fans of GT do not share his exact vision for the franchise and dislike him, and the franchise a result. I think this makes him "shun" the GT community in a way. He has an uncompromising vision for the franchise and there is no room for anything different in his mind.

I had a chance to observe and briefly converse with him at the Jalopnik Film Festival and he struck me as a savant. Not autistic (Elon Musk-esk) but just on a different plane of thought. IDK if this sounds crazy, but this is just the way I saw it.

Yeah I agree with this theory. It reminds me of when he was confronted about the sounds and he replied that the sounds were real. Maybe he doesn't like to be questioned and what he says goes and that's that.
Thats why I was kinda glad GT6 was kind of a flop.. as I thought it would have made Kaz realize that he has to appeal to the people that buy your product. (even if that means skewing your vision a little).

GT7 will show us if its true. (so far not likely)

offshore

Anyone following the GT7 Livery Editor thread on GTP, talking about what they'd like to see from a potential livery editor in 7? It's very funny.

You've unlocked the rectangle!
"Would you like to use the rectangle now?"

"Yes". " No".
"Yes" Are You Sure?

"Yes". "No"

laugh8hkz5.gif
laugh8hkz5.gif
laugh8hkz5.gif

And yet it's both sad, because you can completely believe this happening...

amar212

My personal impression of him as well.

Motoko

Well, my opinion is that Kaz lost his mind a bit. I mean, he's got involved in to much "side" things and lost the focus on the game.

b-spec and course maker are already in game, you can see both in memory when playing any one of the sierra rally events, and the creator of the gt6 editor said this months ago:

I was looking at using the b-spec stuff to make a highly skilled AI drive my car for some of the tougher challenges since AI is a controller type that has skill settings.

maybe all the shit ai complaints forced them to delay and overhaul the ai before releasing b-spec in fulll? no usable course maker though

fucking imbeciles

gt5 course maker with the missing themes and p2p option should have been included day one, then replaced once the new version was ready in all its gps glory

Yeah I agree with this theory. It reminds me of when he was confronted about the sounds and he replied that the sounds were real. Maybe he doesn't like to be questioned and what he says goes and that's that.
Thats why I was kinda glad GT6 was kind of a flop.. as I thought it would have made Kaz realize that he has to appeal to the people that buy your product. (even if that means skewing your vision a little).

GT7 will show us if its true. (so far not likely)

Well, PD as a whole does seem to be involved with the community a lot more than they ever have been. The recent PitStop update mentioned that they sent staff from PD to the recent Red Bull GT6 tournament to make sure everything was running popular. And they seem to constantly bring YAM23 (probably the most famous GT player) everywhere. They're also in contact with Jordan from GTplanet and they're keeping eye on that input page there.

For better or worse, GT7 will likely be a game built with a lot of player input in mind.

dubc35

I've been playing GT6 a bit lately. If they would have released it with the online portion I think it would have helped a ton. At it's core it's a good game, but the lack of heavily used features (online, course maker) at launch really doomed it.

Well, PD as a whole does seem to be involved with the community a lot more than they ever have been. The recent PitStop update mentioned that they sent staff from PD to the recent Red Bull GT6 tournament to make sure everything was running popular. And they seem to constantly bring YAM23 (probably the most famous GT player) everywhere. They're also in contact with Jordan from GTplanet and they're keeping eye on that input page there.

For better or worse, GT7 will likely be a game built with a lot of player input in mind.

I think the GTP/PD relationship has sailed. They shut down that part of the forum due to no response from Kaz. Didn't someone post that in here? I thought I saw it.

MGR

When you're previous community engagement is zero then I guess this statement is true. But what have they actually delivered.....?

- 3 part mini series spread over 5 weeks regarding their sound design which eventually amounted to "Making sounds is hard, we don't know how to make it better, maybe we should get help?"
- The half-assed reddit AMA
but good luck getting an answer

They obviously engaged with Jordan at GTplanet back in May 2014 and offered the Q&A opportunity. So Jordan goes to the effort to set up the separate Q&A forum (with voting options etc) and moderate the restless GTplanet natives while the PD radio silence continued and over 7 months later Kaz leaves him with nothing more than a big fuck you. This sort of thing is unforgivable.

Surely somebody in senior management working at PD should be tapping Kaz on the shoulder and pulling him back on course. It's like the co-pilots are too scared to say anything while watching the captain unwittingly steer the plane into the ground.

No way. GT5 was freaking amazing at the time and still is.

Am I the only one who feels like we're on the verge of a huge announcement? PD's been way too quiet here lately

I expect GT7 to be out in 2016....so announcement this year?

I half expect a GT6 spec II PS4 release before we see a GT7. Seeing as the whole online experience has been lack luster I'm ready for a course maker and some solo time. Give me a new VGT every once in a while and I can get another 18 months out of GT6 with a course maker.

I really believe that they just lost it and they won´t be able to ship a game in 2015 or 2016. The sim market has changed a lot and PC sims are much more friendly these days, not to mention they are coming to the consoles as well.

I had the same impression as Pask had when talking to Kazunori and translator san. It seems like they feel betrayed or just disconnected with their fan base.

It´s almost as if they expected loyalty or GT to be treated as a religion when in fact it´s just a product. Once something else gives you a better experience, you just move on.

Games like Assetto Corsa, Pcars and Raceroom are giving continuous slaps in their face and they keep acting like they can do no wrong.

I think it´s pretty clear what happened: back in 1998 they made us believe that a sim racer was possible. What they did was exactly what most of us wanted.

Technology kept evolving but their dreams didn´t. What they did was good enough on PS2, but the shortcomings were too much to be ignored in the PS3 era.

Now it´s all hit and miss, their priorities are all just plain wrong and the big thing is they are not the only ones in town. There´s people giving you the scale of a GT game in Forza, they can´t play the graphics card anymore because Pcars and such are beyond what they can do, they can´t play the physics card because an indie game like AC gives you stuff that GT hasn´t even dreamed so they are in a tough spot.

They don´t do stuff nobody else does anymore. Back in the day it was GT or just some shitty looking hard to understand and run PC sim. Everything in different these days, the market has spoken and GT6 was a colossal flop that they pretty much given up on it (except for the GT Vision thing that maybe a half dozen people care).

I think it´s a huge bummer because i don´t think they will get their mojo back. Most of their fanbase became way too hardcore for them and the casual players are also not interested on what they are giving.

We end up splitting, trying different sims and enjoying bits and bits of those games, but the idea of a game that has it all and does it all is finished because they never changed their approach.

They think it´s best to spend time modelling the inner parts of a headlamp and creating moon racers, and of course the market will adjust to this and respond in the only way it can: sales.

Top Bottom