• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo 7 - SPEC II 1.40 Update coming on Wednesday | PS5 & PS4 Games

Musilla

JftvTAb.gif

JftvIHu.gif

Chronicle

I don't know what it is about GT but it always looks like the cars are slow. Not sure how Forza looks but I really liked driveclub because of the sense of speed. GT looks like the cars are chugging around the track. It looks too clean.

Senua

Same.

Literally no idea what campaign you are talking about.

Do a series of increasing difficult races and then redo.

That's my memory of gt1 - gt5.

Pretty sure there's even a video after you finish the series events in gt7 although it's been a while so maybe not.
Well yes if we're that vague it's identical, like saying we drive the cars around the track.

The Cafe mode just seems like an endlessly looping tutorial mode, which is what I hoped it was at first. A neat little way to get you into a few different cars before sending you off into the big open career mode of old GT, choosing whichever car you wanted and entering into the events it was permitted in (usually lots). But nope, that's basically your whole career mode. it's the same thing over and over. Drive this car for a few races, since and repeat. There are also so little of them, it just feels rushed and very limited in scope. No bonding with your car, taking it through multiple series as it evolves as you upgrade. I have replayed GT4 countless times trying to take my starter car as far as possible, all this stuff just lost. Definitely not the carpg freedom of old.

There have been a shit load of complaints of fan sites like GTplanet about the career mode so hopefully PD take note, they have done in the past. Maybe a nostalgia GT mode or something can be added

Last edited:

Dcr1d3r

Jeez....i Gotta finish off Cyberpunk before I can fully immerse myself into GT VR....this update looks epic tho!!

jm89

A plethora of new challenges, including 'Weekly Challenges', will be added, evolving the way to experience 'World Circuits.'

The 'World Circuits' pavilion, where you can take on many different races around Europe, the Americas, and Asia will greatly evolve. In Spec II, there will be five 'Standard' level and two 'Expert' level races added, plus the 'Arcade Race' will evolve into the 'Quick Race' and made easier to use. Also, in addition to the standard AI drivers, on the PS5 version it will be possible to race against 'Gran Turismo Sophy,' the prototype racing AI agent for which development is still ongoing. There will be a new 'Event Directory' menu that will allow you to easily search for and join races from a list, and there will be a new 'Weekly Challenges' feature that awards you prizes for clearing all of the races contained within. The Weekly Challenges menu will appear after watching the ending movie, and the events will change to a new set every week.
vince-vince-mcmahon.gif

This is exactly what I wanted to keep me playing.

Nemesisuuu

Would be nice if they tweaked game economy, custom races - it's travesty that you get something like 40 000 credits for 30 minutes race with hardest settings.

TurboSpeed

Fantastic! Really looking forward to trying the snow track! It´s been a great year for car games with this update Forza and WRC lets Goooo!! :messenger_sunglasses:

Hudo

Is the new opening already on Youtube? I quite like the GT openings and the Spec II openings are top notch.

I still enjoy the GT5 Spec II opening with Nikolai Kapustin's Toccatina from his 8 concert etudes.

Aenima

Great update, curious to see how the weekly challeges will work. Pretty much only thing im doing now in GT7 is the online time trials that are added, so new single player content that refreshes every week with rewards is great for what i want from the game.

Does 50 new challenges mean even more Cafe menu pages? I can't keep up!!!
I think they are the new licences.

The only cafe menus being added are 3 new collector menus. (the get this 3 especific cars in ur garage to get a reward)

ShakenG

Damn it, gona have to call sis to reschedule her wedding.. 🤣
But seriously, what great timing.. 😒
This all looks and sounds incredible.

Aenima

1698845408765-png.1299607

Seems like you finally can sort races in events instead of tracks! Seems like they really did some work on this update! :)
This is something i wish they had since launch. Im really happy to see it finally being implemented.

Only thing missing for me now is a B-Spec mode where i can be the "coach" and give instructions to AI drivers to see them race and try win the races. Would be great if implemented with Sophy AI.

Very nice update indeed!

Now all they need to do is add a proper campaign mode and we're golden
Word. I bought the game at release. Sold it two weeks later. The cafe system is awful. It hands you free cars, which you basically only use in the cafe. I had like 40 cars for free and didn’t give a shit about any of them. Even Gran Turismo on PS1 was more intriguing.

Also, every race was essentially a time trial. You have a rolling start from last place, and all the other cars except first place drive like shit and are just obstacles.

It also showed 19 AI's drivers on track in the trailer.
Is this true? The wording of the announcement made me think it was only 1v1 with AI. Can we have a full set of AI racers?

Last edited:
The trailer for the Sophy integration is on the first page of this thread, showing just that.
I guess the only indication is the icons? Didn’t see it explicitly stated anywhere.

Apparently, it’s only in quick race. Too bad. I hate the obstacle course that is the current campaign.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
That trailer was better than launch trailer lol.
I still dont have the game because I dont care for racing games... especially realistic ones. But I must get it for graphics in the future

Con-Z-epT

Live from NeoGAF, it's Friday Night!
I guess the only indication is the icons? Didn’t see it explicitly stated anywhere.

Apparently, it’s only in quick race. Too bad. I hate the obstacle course that is the current campaign.
Yes I get that from the icons since it only shows the Sophy ones no matter your position. Still a possibility to not have a full Sophy roster. We will see tomorrow.

It's also limited to 9 tracks as of now.

CamHostage

I don't know what it is about GT but it always looks like the cars are slow. Not sure how Forza looks but I really liked driveclub because of the sense of speed. GT looks like the cars are chugging around the track. It looks too clean.

Do you mean in trailers, or do you play GT?

Sim'ish racing games tend to be more about the driving (and the cars) than pure speed. They do more realistic TV-style presentation and don't tend to add gaudy effects like speed blur or thrill cams, and also don't usually show a lot of bumping and fighting for position. (The first DriveClub trailer I pulled up, for instance, had ridgeline racing, with the racers pushing at each other on the cliffs. Whereas even when/if there are those types of courses in a GT, they'd probably be played as time trials rather than races, albeit even DriveClub I believe has impenetrable barriers to protect from going off a cliff.)

DriveClub tried to straddle the difference a bit (and it's kind of a shame it didn't go farther into the "fun racer" vein since PlayStation already has GT and DriveClub struggled to establish an identity.) The cameras are a little bit tighter in placement and FOV with more bump and speed force effects, the designed tracks tend more narrow than the often-real-world GT/Forza tracks, there's 12 cars on track in a given race (8 in VR,) and just generally everything about it emphasizes the speed and competitive nature of the races, while sim-style racers tend to train players to focus on the abilities of the cars and the slight improvements one could make next time by driving cleaner. Both are fun, it's just a different style of racing focus.

There's still plenty of speed in GT or Forza or games like these if you use a supercar, but you're usually racing at manageable speeds, so long as you maintain your line and deceleration/acceleration.

Last edited:

Turk1993

GAFs #1 source for car graphic comparisons
Wait, i just read that Sophy is not available for every track and car in all modes. Its better than nothing and a very solid update for ai but i thought it would replace the current ai entirely.

"the new GT Sophy mode is part of the World Circuits menu. Nine of the game’s tracks will now feature a new selection within “Quick Race” (which replaces “Arcade Race”) that will allow you to pick a race with GT Sophy.

The game will select which cars Sophy will drive based on the vehicle you’ve chosen, and it’ll be able to use more than 340 of the cars in the game for the race. Interestingly, PD notes that this will allow players to race against Sophy with almost 95% of the cars in the game — meaning that around 20 cars aren’t eligible for these events, although we’re not yet sure which."

I realized that I still have my Wheelstand Pro from the last driving wheel I owned. That sealed the deal. I just ordered a copy of GT7 and the Thrustmaster T300RS for delivery tomorrow. I owned this driving wheel back with GT Sport, so I know it is damn good.

Now, I need to resist buying a PSVR.

DJ12

Well yes if we're that vague it's identical, like saying we drive the cars around the track.

The Cafe mode just seems like an endlessly looping tutorial mode, which is what I hoped it was at first. A neat little way to get you into a few different cars before sending you off into the big open career mode of old GT, choosing whichever car you wanted and entering into the events it was permitted in (usually lots). But nope, that's basically your whole career mode. it's the same thing over and over. Drive this car for a few races, since and repeat. There are also so little of them, it just feels rushed and very limited in scope. No bonding with your car, taking it through multiple series as it evolves as you upgrade. I have replayed GT4 countless times trying to take my starter car as far as possible, all this stuff just lost. Definitely not the carpg freedom of old.

There have been a shit load of complaints of fan sites like GTplanet about the career mode so hopefully PD take note, they have done in the past. Maybe a nostalgia GT mode or something can be added
So you don't like cafe modes which loads of people don't, but the "campaign" is essentially the same as all the previous games as they had the same structure.

So still not got a clue what you or others are moaning about. What was there remains with something most think is shit added on top

Senua

I think that 190e is dying for one of your FM vs GT7 comparisons! I think I know what'll win lol

So you don't like cafe modes which loads of people don't, but the "campaign" is essentially the same as all the previous games as they had the same structure.

So still not got a clue what you or others are moaning about. What was there remains with something most think is shit added on top

Did I miss something? Have we played different games? The cafe modes basically IS the career. Same structure? Because they call events sunday cup etc? It's completely different as I explained in my post

This post at GTplanet is good too

Last edited:

Aenima

I think that 190e is dying for one of your FM vs GT7 comparisons! I think I know what'll win lol

Did I miss something? Have we played different games? The cafe modes basically IS the career. Same structure? Because they call events sunday cup etc? It's completely different as I explained in my post

This post at GTplanet is good too

The entire game is the career mode. GT Cafe works as an introduction to what you can do in the various game modes. Your carreer is recorded in ur GT Profile. After you finish the cafe menus and see the credits, you unlock more single player races outside the cafe, so the single player career keeps going, is just not structured as the old GT games.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Can I enable all assists for one player in split screen and none for the other ? My son and I could play this and have some fun with me letting him win a race or two

Top Bottom