• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

DavidDesu

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-KB7MTNsoqs

Nurburgring footage...

Fan bloody tastic! Engine sounding fab...Ambient reverb just needs knocking down a peg as nothing really in the environment for the sound to bounce off as prominent as this....For the city tracks absolutely...

THAT lighting!!

Youtube compression aside, you can see when the camera is low to the ground, the textures looks ace....

And once again....PD and replays.....Simply unmatched....

Holeee shit. Watching on my phone at 720p, when it cut to the first on board with those sounds and visuals.. genuinely had a moment of thinking it was real footage. Like absolutely real. Utterly incredible.

Putty

Holeee shit. Watching on my phone at 720p, when it cut to the first on board with those sounds and visuals.. genuinely had a moment of thinking it was real footage. Like absolutely real. Utterly incredible.

Yep....Shitty compression...720p.....Can just imagine what it'l look like first hand...Audio in this is a huge step up for PD...

One thing i didn't notice as well in general with the beta and more so this as there's only one car to focus on... which i've noticed on other racers is a lack of "phasing" when the engine samples get crossfaded...Super smooth...no hiccups....Impressive stuff so far...

Nurburgring footage...

Fan bloody tastic! Engine sounding fab...Ambient reverb just needs knocking down a peg as nothing really in the environment for the sound to bounce off as prominent as this....For the city tracks absolutely...

THAT lighting!!

Youtube compression aside, you can see when the camera is low to the ground, the textures looks ace....

That bumper cam looks great. Trackside detail is very impressive. I really hope this is one of the tracks that makes the VR mode but I have a feeling it is most likely the one track that will get cut.

magawolaz

Sound diffusion and doppler effect are kind of wrong in that video, at least listening with headphones. Which is weird because they were okay in GT6 (biggest issues were the tire screech, poor audio samples and missing sound effects).
Looks absolutely incredible though.

And lol at saying it looks like all other current-gen racers, and then proceeding to post Forza PC maxed-out screens. The fact that GTS still looks more realistic really shows that a god art direction does half of the job.

https://imgur.com/a/Fl949#mK0DR1v

WnJGn1F.png

jNzTkXJ.png

xTplPod.png
Those hills are lovely. Like holy shit.

BigEmil

Any less compressed Elgato 60 Game Capture videos out yet? So far most been recorded via PS4 DVR which compresses it heavily

Mascot

Wasn't that very same M6 Nurb video doing the rounds about a week ago? I'm sure it was already discussed and GIFfed.

shandy706

The guy in charge of replays should contract himself out for big money, lol. Those things are on point.

I came back on the previous page and did exactly what I said I would for anyone that is interested. I'm one person that doesn't mind being told "prove it" and then actually doing it.

Any news on an "open" beta?

The trees look so much better on Nurburgring than Brands Hatch.

Yes way better. The trees were always the one thing that took you out of it but they look actually fine on nurburgring.

I noticed that too. I wonder if Brands Hatch has a lot of placeholder as far as foliage. The tree line shouldn't be big and stretching across the whole view on that hill for example (in the shot in my previous post).

JamboGT

Wasn't that very same M6 Nurb video doing the rounds about a week ago? I'm sure it was already discussed and GIFfed.

Is actually a new one, though it is the same car and looks pretty much the same, think the driving is better in this one.

jet1911

Nurburgring footage...

THAT lighting!!

The echo is all kind of wrong. Sounds like the car is in a big cave or a giant tunnel, not out in the open. Other than that everything else is faaaaaaaaaantastic.

Putty

The echo is all kind of wrong. Sounds like the car is in a big cave or a giant tunnel, not out in the open. Other than that everything else is faaaaaaaaaantastic.

Yes, it's easy to dial back as well....Willow Springs you wouldn't hear any reverb...if anything you would get a very late reflections due the the mountains in the background but would be barely audible given the distance away....Tokyo....built up tracks, then of course it'd be more prominent...

Hopefully the technical side of the audio implementation is an ever improving process as the engine sounds clearly are...

Hopefully that's just a case of tweaking the audio processing rather than a fault at the recording source.

Nurburgring footage...

THAT lighting!!

Those off-track details are simply amazing. The surrounding hills (not only the Nurburg itself), the trees, roads, buildings, everything you'll find in real life you can see in this video, too. Well done, PD.

If anyone is interested in how car sound with FMOD (used by Forza and Assetto Corsa for example and probably by many more racing games with average to good car sound) is made, here is a video of a well known AC sound modder doing sound for the Ferrari FXX K in FMOD and Adobe Audition without access to the car or any dyno recordings of the sound.

https://youtu.be/1g_f0L7rLiY?t=17m50s

If you watch from 17:50 up ~22:10 you'll have a good picture of that stuff works.

Nurburgring footage...

THAT lighting!!

Eh... I have to say I'm disappointed with trackside foliage and geometry yet again. I'm not sure what I expect out of a GT game at this point - this happens to me essentially with every release - but I just thought by the time we hit the PS4, we'd be seeing something more closely approximating lifelike. Still excited, but was hoping for more than that. I realize this is not the essential element to GT for most people, and I get what the series does right. It's just always bothered me.

Agreed with the bumper cam looking great.

shandy706

Those off-track details are simply amazing. The surrounding hills (not only the Nurburg itself), the trees, roads, buildings, everything you'll find in real life you can see in this video, too. Well done, PD.

I can't wait to see the finished tracks. There's a ways to go (outside of those trees....those trees look fantastic) detail wise.

This is what makes me think Brands Hatch isn't done. Things like the pits in GT:S on that track, there's a flyover/replay of that section, are missing the details from other racers. Glad to see PD having the hardware to add all this stuff in now.

Eh... I have to say I'm disappointed with trackside foliage and geometry yet again. I'm not sure what I expect out of a GT game at this point - this happens to me essentially with every release - but I just thought by the time we hit the PS4, we'd be seeing something more closely approximating lifelike. Still excited, but was hoping for more than that. I realize this is not the essential element to GT for most people, and I get what the series does right. It's just always bothered me.

Agreed with the bumper cam looking great.

This is what happens when you play a lot of racers on newer hardware between GT releases, haha. I know what you mean. It's usually telling who has and who hasn't played other games across multiple systems. They go "that's absolutely amazing"...while I sit here and go...."other racers already do that"..."but it doesn't even have grass"..."where is the tire racks and equipment in the pits".... (shrug)

That lighting on the car bodies though...PD is so good at it. I keep just staring at the cars.

JamboGT

The other thing to take into account is this is the tourist version of the Nordschleife, there will likely be the 24 hour version as well with crowds, flags, BBQs, pits etcs like in GT5 and 6.

No one does replays like PD, nobody.

Cars look great, lighting looks like its real, sounds are improving nicely.

The track details seem somewhat bland like the grass and trees??? It just stands out cuz everything else is sublime

shandy706

The people walking around is an excellent touch. Most sim racers completely miss a detail like this.

Forza Horizon 3 having people walking the streets/stairs/shops looks great in motion and in replays. Glad to see PD making it a norm in sims. Everyone standing around annoys me in other sims.

Looks so last gen....Newer racers do so much more....

Grow up. It looks dumb saying that if something else does actually do something more or has already set a certain standard...you know that, right?

I expect PD to be the best when they get to new hardware, you don't expect them to be the best? It's an expectation, not an attack on a precious game.

Edit* Also on topic, body roll/stiffness looks incredible too there. Car movement helps a ton with good replays.

Putty

The people walking around is an excellent touch. Most sim racers completely miss a detail like this.

Forza Horizon 3 having people walking the streets/stairs/shops looks great in motion and in replays. Glad to see PD making it a norm in sims. Everyone standing around annoys me in other sims.

Grow up. It looks dumb saying that if something else does actually do something more or has already set a certain standard...you know that, right?

I expect PD to be the best when they get to new hardware, you don't expect them to be the best? It's an expectation, not an attack on a precious game.

Just my opinion brah...

BigEmil

It's funny how you kinda changed your stances ever since you got called out on your bs

No one does replays like PD, nobody.

Cars look great, lighting looks like its real, sounds are improving nicely.

The track details seem somewhat bland like the grass and trees??? It just stands out cuz everything else is sublime
It actually looks like grass that's why it looks strange in a game.

Irl grass doesn't have random ass tufts sticking out like flowers and bushes. Like do people not go outside? It's way more uniform in length when groomed like on a trackside.

And Lol at the people calling it worse than Forza what a joke. By far the best art and techniques for realistic sky and trees and background hands down.

dugdug

Banned
This has to be coming out soon right?

Played the Brands Hatch a few times and I kinda *need* the full game in my life right now.

shandy706

It's funny how you kinda changed your stances ever since you got called out on your bs

What are you talking about? What BS?

Did you go to my post on the previous page?

I've always said lighting, replays, etc are excellent. I said track detail, and other graphic details are on par or behind other games in the beta, but could change. I even backed it all up with in game captures ;)

My "stance" hasn't changed in any way.

And people will tell your are full of shit.

Why don't you try to break that silly circle?

I guess those people are just hard headed? Haha

I'm not going to quit posting because of a few that get upset if anything critical is said while they ignore the positive.

I've always said lighting, replays, etc are excellent. I said track detail, and other graphic details are on par or behind other games in the beta, but could change. I even backed it all up with in game captures ;)

My stance hasn't changed in any way.

And people will tell your are full of shit.

Why don't you try to break that silly circle?

This has to be coming out soon right?

Played the Brands Hatch a few times and I kinda *need* the full game in my life right now.

It's almost certainly going to be some time in the second half of the year. Apparently the guy who knew about the beta and other stuff recently has said it'll be released around September or so.

Loudninja

It's almost certainly going to be some time in the second half of the year. Apparently the guy who knew about the beta and other stuff recently has said it'll be released around September or so.

If ti Sep that is going to be a crazy month of Destiny 2 comes out as well.

shandy706

. Cars look so well planted on the road.

This is one of my biggest criticisms of Forza Motorsport. The game feels great, but sometimes the cars look disconnected in movement. It's not always there, and sometimes looks good, but there are moments where it looks off a lot in replays.

And you're not hard headed, hm? I showed you a video on previous page. One game clearly looks better, even if, like you said, video is "bad".

I think there's a disconnect between what I actually said, and what you think I'm saying. Language barrier maybe?

Conduit

Banned

My "stance" hasn't changed in any way.

I guess those people are just hard headed? Haha

And you're not hard headed, hm? I showed you a video on previous page. One game clearly looks better, even if, like you said, video is "bad".

Hey, sorry to derail a bit, but a few post back you mentioned using a ChronosMax for your wheel and I'm wondering how your experiences have been with it. I did a bunch of googling after reading your post it it seems awesome.

I have a friend on the edge, but we're both wondering things like, how much, if any, input lag is introduced in process. Also, does this basically make Fanatec wheels compatible with all ps4 games?

Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom