• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

It's good to see how much opinions have changed on this game since the reveal. Looks like it was right move to delay the game until it was ready. I mean that is always the right move, but companies don't always do it...

DieH@rd

Banned
gts2mxu4x.gif

That moving crowd in the distance is such an excellent [and very rarely seen in sim games] touch.

It's good to see how much opinions have changed on this game since the reveal. Looks like it was right move to delay the game until it was ready. I mean that is always the right move, but companies don't always do it...

To be fair, even if it's GT, I don't think GT can afford another middling release.

GTS needs to be a rock-solid game that at the very least, gets the core of what makes GT great right and land on all four wheels.

To be fair, even if it's GT, I don't think GT can afford another middling release.

GTS needs to be a rock-solid game that at the very least, gets the core of what makes GT great right and land on all four wheels.
You're underestimating the gt brand. I think it will be an awesome game though

Solal

I think you are underestimating the damages made to the brand by GT5 and 6...

And the fact that there are very serious competitors on the market right now.

GT being the best car game (without even speaking about sim or not) is not as obvious as it used to be. (and if we believe in reviews, it's not even the case anymore...)

Gt not being above the competition is a real new situation: no dynamic TOD, no weather, no damages, only 170 cars... Beautiful graphics may be too little to convice players to jump in.

Especially with P cars 2 getting closer...

Still, I think GTS will make good numbers... but nowhere near GT5's (or 3 or 4...)

Just my 2 cents.

GT being the best car game (without even speaking about sim or not) is not as obvious as it used to be. (and if we believe in reviews, it's not even the case anymore...)

Gt not being above the competition is a real new situation: no dynamic TOD, no weather, no damages, only 170 cars... Beautiful graphics may be too little to convice players to jump in.

Still, I think GTS will make good numbers... but nowhere near GT5's (or 3 or 4...)

Just my 2 cents.
Not gonna happen with the sales of the PS4 and Europe still GT Crazy.

Arex

Sounds really good to me now <3

Anyway I think some of the trees still need updated shader or more planes.
Some of them looks really realistic, but some of them have these highlights on the sides that make them look really repetitive, or in some case you feel that it's like 2 crossed planes because of the harsh shadows. Could be lower LOD models at work there I suppose or something with the way they handle shadow on their trees.

I'm sure they're aware of these, and once they updated them trees it'd be even better than now as there are many parts in that Nurburgring that look really nice.
I hope they can add some trees swaying though, look a bit static now :)

I shopped some images to show some of these (too much time lol)

Just my 2 cents.
GT6 is sitting at 5M+ despite the circumstances around its release.

I think GTS will do fine in the long run.

horkrux

only 170 cars

That can only be from a fairly old statement. IIRC we don't know how many cars there are gonna be. They suggested it would be the amount you would expect from such a game, but it wasn't clarified how many would be available on release.

You're underestimating the gt brand. I think it will be an awesome game though

GT6 shows that even a bungled launch with extremely diluted marketing & missed foresight of how quickly the PS3 audience moved to the PS4 that GT will sell bucketload.

But there is definitely sales impact from that misstep.

Another misstep will only impact that further.

I'm not saying a GTS misstep will cause the franchise to die or even become a C-tier IP.

But if GTS is mishandled and not received well, I would not be surprised if it ends up being a 5-million sales franchise instead of a 8-10 million one, the same way other super-franchises (CoD/Halo/etc) fell from its franchise peaks, but still do really successful numbers.

I can understand the idea of feeling you miss out on cars you may want or some that are your favorites but PD really needs to try to future proof these cars as much as they can so they can stop remaking them over and over. Obviously tech and stuff getts better but they should be able to make very high end polygon models now that won't require re making them again even 10 years later.

Even though I think making all the parts of a car should be the ultimate treatment with real physics and destruction etc I think we are still at least 20 years from that in games though?

Putty

I can understand the idea of feeling you miss out on cars you may want or some that are your favorites but PD really needs to try to future proof these cars as much as they can so they can stop remaking them over and over. Obviously tech and stuff getts better but they should be able to make very high end polygon models now that won't require re making them again even 10 years later.

Even though I think making all the parts of a car should be the ultimate treatment with real physics and destruction etc I think we are still at least 20 years from that in games though?

Fair shout that, and i do think they will be future proofed, not just PD of course...

I reckon Sony wouldn't be THAT displeased if GTS "only" pulls 5m sales......Personally i'd wager it'll do 6.5m....7m..A touch more IF it reviews really well.......

xrnzaaas

Weren't the premium cars from GT5 and GT6 future proof? Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like PD's choice to redo some of them from scratch rather than work on improving the highest quality models which were absent in 5 and 6 or appeared only in photo modes.

Personally I'm glad they're doing a reboot for the car collection and especially that they're ditching the standard models that have their roots in the PS2 era. It'll be more interesting if they can continue expand the new database regularly. I mean look at the Forza series, Forza 5 started out with a little over 200 "brand new" cars and Forza 6 ended up with over 600 cars. They even had the time and resources to make Autovista available for each car.

cooldawn

Fair shout that, and i do think they will be future proofed, not just PD of course...

I reckon Sony wouldn't be THAT displeased if GTS "only" pulls 5m sales......Personally i'd wager it'll do 6.5m....7m..A touch more IF it reviews really well.......
We must also consider the type of experience Gran Turismo Sport is selling. It's an eSport focussed title so that will affect initial sales...

Weren't the premium cars from GT5 and GT6 future proof? Maybe I'm wrong but it seems like PD's choice to redo some of them from scratch rather than work on improving the highest quality models which were absent in 5 and 6 or appeared only in photo modes.

Personally I'm glad they're doing a reboot for the car collection and especially that they're ditching the standard models that have their roots in the PS2 era. It'll be more interesting if they can continue expand the new database regularly. I mean look at the Forza series, Forza 5 started out with a little over 200 "brand new" cars and Forza 6 ended up with over 600 cars. They even had the time and resources to make Autovista available for each car.
...and it'll initially affect the type of cars included in the game. As time goes on and the game receives numerous updates and new content it'll have a chance to steadily grow.

IIRC, cars in GT5 are highly detailed and could be used on PS4 i.e. supposed to be future-proof, however, tessellation happened. PD decided to remodel all cars for that purpose. I guess these new models will be future-proof unless some amazing new technology comes along to make them redundant.

Outrun

Yeah, I am looking at you ME Andromeda...

Glad this game is shaping up nicely.

Now wait a minute! Haven't you heard of alternative facts?

I am just trying to fit in with american gaffers!

;-)

Anyway: I ll check my facts before posting from now on.

Boo to me.
Naw it's ok. I thought there wasn't going to be any weather in GT Sports as well. We learn something new everyday.

I guess I should just shut up then...
As long as it's an honest mistake, no on-purpose bad interpretation of info and facts and not followed by a complete refusal to be corrected... no need to "shut up".
Damage has been a confusing topic with GT games anyway.

------------------------------------
Something else I'd like to discuss:

We're talking in a little bubble here and all of you can probably drive a lot better than the average player (as shown for example when you hear that SMS had drivers at their pCARS2 event to drive for the press-people if they thought their own driving would look to bad on video).

Now in previous GT-games, you didn't need to be particularly good at driving to see it through the career, you could almost enter an event with an overpowered car or better tires than the AI. Bronze medals in license tests (when they were still mandatory to advance) weren't very hard to get.

Do you think the lack of tuning, focus on online driving (and missing driving line as well) might dissuade more casual players from buying GTS... especially at full price?
I'm not saying "bad move, PD!", it's just that I could see this game being bought by maybe 20% less people (remember GT reaches a far wider audience than Project CARS or even Forza Motorsport usually), who know they aren't very good at racing sims, just because of the no-cheating-your-way-through-this difficulty, not even because of almost mandatory PS+ or online leagues on a schedule.

cooldawn

Something else I'd like to discuss:

We're talking in a little bubble here and all of you can probably drive a lot better than the average player (as shown for example when you hear that SMS had drivers at their pCARS2 event to drive for the press-people if they thought their own driving would look to bad on video).

Now in previous GT-games, you didn't need to be particularly good at driving to see it through the career, you could almost enter an event with an overpowered car or better tires than the AI. Bronze medals in license tests (when they were still mandatory to advance) weren't very hard to get.

Do you think the lack of tuning, focus on online driving (and missing driving line as well) might dissuade more casual players from buying GTS... especially at full price?
I'm not saying "bad move, PD!", it's just that I could see this game being bought by maybe 20% less people (remember GT reaches a far wider audience than Project CARS or even Forza Motorsport usually), who know they aren't very good at racing sims, just because of the no-cheating-your-way-through-this difficulty, not even because of almost mandatory PS+ or online leagues on a schedule.
Yes. It ties in with what I said a few posts up. An eSport game will need to grow so I think this release will suffer slower sales than full-on GT titles but it may gain traction over time.

Just my 2 cents.

GT5 damaged the brand? Lol, the game sold more than 10 million copies.

Hoo-doo

Banned
I hope they managed to snag some of that Driveclub weather tech. I don't care a whole lot about it being dynamic, but I feel no game comes close to realistic looking rainstorms like DC.

Putty

I hope they managed to snag some of that Driveclub weather tech. I don't care a whole lot about it being dynamic, but I feel no game comes close to realistic looking rainstorms like DC.

If it's not dynamic, and i very much doubt it i...i think it will still look pretty spectacular! I expect we've not seen it yet as it's still been worked on...Performance i imagine would be a problem but hopefully they find an elegant solution...

Was just thinking this. Sony certainly encourages tech sharing between studios but I imagine Kaz would be too stubborn and proud to use any DC tech :( It may also not dovetail with PD's engine.

I haven't played GT5 or GT6 yet, but I've been playing GT4 a lot lately(bloody fantastic game BTW) via PCSX2 emulator with my Bodnar DD wheel, and in all honesty I have to say I feel the force feedback is nothing short of AMAZING!!! It's even superior to iracing's FFB! "How can that be? You're mad!"...you may be saying to yourself, but trust me, the force feedback Polyphony Digital coded into this 13yr old game is very impressive!

Driving the Formula GT car on the Nordschleife, I can feel detail coming through my Bodnar wheel that I've never felt from most other sims. The bumps and curbs are VERY pronounced and refined. It delivers razor sharp effects and detail in a way that closely describes what Beano says he feels in his Lenze in IR.

I sincerely suggest you guys try out GT4 on PC via the emulator. Take a car out to the ring or to Le Sarthe in that game. I have a feeling you'll be pleasantly surprised at how much detail you'll feel. I'm quite frankly blown away. If GT4 can feel this good, I can only imagine how good the ffb will feel in GT Sport.

Interesting...thanks for the response. I'll definitely give it a try then. Hopefully there will be a demo of some sort.

Dang... all the expensive wheels.

How is the T150? I need to start saving for that now.

I have it and its great! I use it mainly on PC for Assetto Corsa, Dirt Rally, and occasionally Project Cars. It feels better than the Logitech's (imo smoother turning and more detailed FFB) in this price range and you can get it with a great set of peddles for a really good deal:
http://www.gamestop.com/accessories...-edition-racing-wheel-only-at-gamestop/131351

This is cheaper than buying the T150 and buying the peddles separately. The stock peddles that come with the regular T150 aren't good at all.

Dang... all the expensive wheels.

How is the T150? I need to start saving for that now.

The 150 is a solid wheel. The only real knock against it is that the pedals are just decent. It's really the cheapest good wheel that you're going to get now that there's really no entry level Logitech wheels like the DFGT. The other wheels are going to run you upwards of $400. And the high end GTS wheel is almost certainly going to be even more expensive than that

thrustmaster-gran-turwvuxv.jpg

thrustmaster-gtsport-8ludd.jpg

Top Bottom