• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

Jesus christ people if you're going to quote a post with a lot of images or gifs you know you can delete them within the quote command.

EDIT: new page ^^

magawolaz

Yeah please don't quote a dozen, 4MB, uncompressed png screenshots lol. My connection can't handle it.

Also if you upload gifs to Imgur, Gfycat or Giphy, they get automatically converted to their video version if you have NeoGFY installed, which is a godsend.

It was more the fact they don't actually mention the beta as such, but just a general "soon".
Ah, interesting but I wouldn't expect a stealth release before E3. A guy on GTplanet who teased the last three announcement (Fittipaldi VGT, Tag Heuer announcement, beta) was hinting at a summer release though.

So, no confirmation of EU Beta, but the assumption is this week, with early access for PS+ members?, does this mean it will be a common or garden download, rather than a developer selection process?
Dunno, if it were available to all PS+ members the sign up page wouldn't make much sense. Also it wouldn't be fair because there are americans playing it without PS+...

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I'll definitely mention it haha. I would like to give the oval another go, maybe it was just a bad match. But yeah, i can can see oval races being...very interesting.

Yeah, let me know how that goes. I'm interested because I visualized all the people trying to go from High to low and back as they would in a Nascar race. I think it might take a ton of practice to keep from bashing in to cars from above/below on the fly if you're not used to doing it. That may sort itself as more and more players get used to it.

horkrux

It's really not that terrible, you're travelling at 100+ kph in these shots and they also have incredible density of foliage too. Shouldn't be that unexpected to have LOD adjustments in these situations.

They're not adjusting though. That's simply what you get.

granturismosportcloseb3sfs.png

How to annoy Mascot 101!

So, no confirmation of EU Beta, but the assumption is this week, with early access for PS+ members?, does this mean it will be a common or garden download, rather than a developer selection process?
I really wish Mods would start clamping down on this shit.

I see a tag for Mascot incoming ;D

----------------------------------

There is some tiny little desire in me to see some Assetto Corsa Nordschleife images for comparison, but only have that on PC and probably wouldn't have it in me to take the images for that - just don't care enough for graphics.

But how about some PHYSICS comparisons?

If somebody (I'm not in the Beta myself) makes a video of a car - preferably one that is in other games like FM6, Project CARS and Assetto Corso as well - braking from 161km/h (100mph) to Zero with ABS set to the lowest and gives me the link(with instruments visible in the video), I would calculate the braking distance. We could also compare acceleration times, but those are much easier to nail for a game since they depend less on grip, load and flex of the tire model.

Ezmyhcd.jpg

Thanks to Amar212 for sharing this, I didn't know this existed
If it's a production car and the used tire is somewhat realistic for that car, maybe we can also find the braking distance from a car magazine test online and compare it to that.

Somehow I already know that I'm the only one interested :eek:

Just wait until GTS launches. The Forza v. GT people come out of the woodwork like a plague. People who have played both franchises for a combined total of 2 hours, come out of school us all on the merits of tree and shrub fidelity and how it is the absolute most important thing in a racing game ever. The new wrench in the works is Driveclub fanboys too. I didn't think they would be so potent after one game especially when DC and GT are both under the Sony umbrella.

Just wait until GTS launches. The Forza v. GT people come out of the woodwork like a plague. People who have played both franchises for a combined total of 2 hours, come out of school us all on the merits of tree and shrub fidelity and how it is the absolute most important thing in a racing game ever. The new wrench in the works is Driveclub fanboys too. I didn't think they would be so potent after one game especially when DC and GT are both under the Sony umbrella.

I'm a huge DC fan, but even I can see that GT is shaping up to be something special. Two different kind of racers, one is pushing all kinds of crazy tech methods at 30FPS and small grid races, the other is going all out for 60FPS and larger grid size, the fact they are even comparable just shows how great Poly truly are.

shandy706

seems racing game trees are universally a bit shite. but these look worse than sport already imo, light simply isn't hitting them in a very natural way. they don't even look like they're affected by lighting conditions at all.

I agree, lighting foliage wise sucks in basically any sim released to date.

I'm just glad there are a few people that can actually follow the conversation, and understand what it is about. The "reactionary" posts are annoying. It's also hard to get people to talk about actual gameplay vs replays/gifs/photomode. Pre-rendered tracks vs real time TOD in a GT was a concern for some, but it looks PD is handling it well. LOD and asset resolution increases will help a lot.

BigEmil

What's the point your trying to make of putting PC Forza Horizon screenshots in another console game thread? If you want to make comparisons wouldn't it be reasonable with another console on the same caliber hardware as the PS4 which is the Xbox One isn't it of course beefier hardware can handle and add more to the visual quality on top and there's also another thread for that comparing all racers, also what he means by when he was talking about the lighting it seems the lighting is flat and unrealistic from what i can tell

They're not adjusting though. That's simply what you get.

granturismosportcloseb3sfs.png

It's Nurb thought there's so many trees. And the placement is trying to mimic the real world place, not just obscure by only putting trackside trees.
seems racing game trees are universally a bit shite. but these look worse than sport already imo, light simply isn't hitting them in a very natural way. they don't even look like they're affected by lighting conditions at all.

Of course whoever posted it won't mention that though. There's basically no lighting effects on the trees. And what's with the nuclear sun too? Doesn't even nearly approach the art design of GT Sport.

kvn

What's the point your trying to make of putting PC Forza screenshots in another console game thread? If you want to make comparisons wouldn't it be reasonable with another console on the same caliber hardware as the PS4 which is the Xbox One isn't it of course beefier hardware can handle and add more to the visual quality on top and there's also another thread for that comparing all racers, also what he means by when he was talking about the lighting it seems the lighting is flat and unrealistic from what i can tell

Your second sentence is fucking terrible.

2scoops

Yeah, let me know how that goes. I'm interested because I visualized all the people trying to go from High to low and back as they would in a Nascar race. I think it might take a ton of practice to keep from bashing in to cars from above/below on the fly if you're not used to doing it. That may sort itself as more and more players get used to it.

That's exactly what happened. Some went a little too low, clipped the inside line, spun, and then took everyone out. Some players seemed to give up after that, like the player i hit. I think the "ghosting" couldn't keep up with all the chaos. But like you said, I also think players will get used it in time.

I hope Sports will provide enough options to stay within specific racing series. I'm not really interested in doing anything nascar related.

The oval racing has always been a disaster in GT games. Their physics engine isn't built for it and they never bothered to break out separate tuning or even proper oval cars in any of their games. The NASCAR's in GT5 didn't even have oval setups. Same with rally racing in GT games, it was never done right because they just said lets make courses with less grip and call it a day. Unless you are going to model asymmetrical setups with the correct settings required for oval racing, and completely different tire models that are required for oval racing, don't even include those tracks in the game. It's just driving around in a circle with road cars, which is about as fun as watching paint dry.

I thought oval racing was boring as fuck until I played sims that properly model it. When you actually have the nice wide slip angles, viable high lines, and the right steering ratio and feel of an oval car, it is actually really damn fun. Even though you are only turning left over and over, sliding the car into the corner just right is pretty satisfying. It also made me love short track racing which I also used to think was stupid.

Got my CronusMAX and hooked up my G27. Works like a charm. FFB seems to be the exact same as GT6 with the G27. I am not sure if I am losing any FFB fidelity but if the game thinks I have a G29, then it should be no different than a G27 seeing as they are identical internal components.

The FFB still has that annoying floppy center where the weight flops in the FFB anytime you move your steering wheel across the center line. This is really annoying when counter steering or catching tank slappers as it adds a weird hitch and delay in the FFB weight. This has been present in Logitech wheels and GT since GT3. Maybe it is time to get that T300. It may just be a limitation of the G series wheels that GT FFB exacerbates.

Regardless, it still feels 100x better to drive with a wheel than controller. Surprisingly my qualifying speeds with the controller were about as fast as I could do with a wheel. The difference is I am way more consistent with a wheel. It is also easier to turn ABS and TC off when using a wheel.

Anyone in the beta and own a T300? Would be curious about impressions.

rashbeep

Banned
I think the foliage looks good, my qualms with the visuals are more to do with AA/AF and lack of detail in the distance.

Expecting that to improve in the final build on the Pro.

LOL. The online racing is so fucking bad in this game. They seriously have their work cut out for them. I finally got pole position in an easy race, Tokyo with GR.3 cars and 2nd place just straight up drives through my car. It is insane. How is this the state of their online racing after years of development and such a limited scope of users to account for? Fucking christ. Not included in this clip is how 20 seconds later my entire engine sound cuts out. Just full on mute for three seconds. I guess that is one way to fix the bad engine noises. The main focus of this game is online racing and this is what it is like playing against other people in your region with a 37ms ping. I have participated in probably a dozen betas in the last few years, and this is by far the most broken I have seen an essential component. Alphas have been more solid than this.

8t7oltv.gif

Darklor01

That's exactly what happened. Some went a little too low, clipped the inside line, spun, and then took everyone out. Some players seemed to give up after that, like the player i hit. I think the "ghosting" couldn't keep up with all the chaos. But like you said, I also think players will get used it in time.

Yep.

I'm an awful racer, and I use joypad only. There are reasons for it. Check out this race. Somewhere in the middle, they all jumbled into a crash scene and ruined the race. In the warmup. It was all smooth. Wonder what the hell happened.

https://youtu.be/W3PUwRmaZM0

Darklor01

LOL. The online racing is so fucking bad in this game. They seriously have their work cut out for them. I finally got pole position in an easy race, Tokyo with GR.3 cars and 2nd place just straight up drives through my car. It is insane. How is this the state of their online racing after years of development and such a limited scope of users to account for? Fucking christ. Not included in this clip is how 20 seconds later my entire engine sound cuts out. Just full on mute for three seconds. I guess that is one way to fix the bad engine noises. The main focus of this game is online racing and this is what it is like playing against other people in your region with a 37ms ping. I have participated in probably a dozen betas in the last few years, and this is by far the most broken I have seen an essential component. Alphas have been more solid than this.

8t7oltv.gif

I gotta be honest. I've not had this happen once. I had a person Ghost through me or, I got ghosted. One time out of the whole night I saw a car lag jump and then never again. It has been a smooth experience so far here.

I gotta be honest. I've not had this happen once. I had a person Ghost through me or, I got ghosted. One time out of the whole night I saw a car lag jump and then never again. It has been a smooth experience so far here.

I have had two smooth experiences but only because I was around no one after the first lap. No hyperbole, I played Grand Prix Legends online (using the 3rd party match making program) 17 years ago on dial up with 28 cars and it never did half the shit I have seen on this beta.

Consider yourself lucky if every race you join isn't non stop warping, low bit rate sounds or as I discovered tonight, cars that just drive through you.

Darklor01

I have had two smooth experiences but only because I was around no one after the first lap. No hyperbole, I played Grand Prix Legends online (using the 3rd party match making program) 17 years ago on dial up with 28 cars and it never did half the shit I have seen on this beta.

Consider yourself lucky if every race you join isn't non stop warping, low bit rate sounds or as I discovered tonight, cars that just drive through you.

I had cars Ghost through me, but for me, I figured I did something wrong and turned into a ghost, so the other cars went through me.

I guess .. perhaps I miss things sometimes. I'm guilty of that for sure. I know the audio hasn't cut out but that seems minor compared to the other things.

I'm going to rewatch the clip I linked earlier and see if I can spot things that are just wrong.

You can see in my clip 2nd place goes invisible in my rear view mirror and drives throug me and reappears unscathed. I was in 1st place and made no contact.

Yesterday the online games were super laggy for me even though I had 28ping. The other cars were flopping around the track from side to side and speeding up and disappearing and reappearing. SLOW DOWN and penalty time was showing most of the race even though I was driving perfectly. It was pretty bad, gave up trying and quit the second race.

Darklor01

You can see in my clip 2nd place goes invisible in my rear view mirror and drives throug me and reappears unscathed. I was in 1st place and made no contact.

Yep. I actually see it happening in my clip at a couple of points as well. Though maybe it was my poor driving and at a few points it was. Other times, they just went through me. I don't know. Maybe they're working on it. I'll submit a bug report.

Bit of a worry for an online only game (effectively), but it's still in Beta. It's not something they can launch with (just ask Evolution) so I'm assuming it'll get fixed before launch.

I was just thinking about it, and the game I've actually done the most online racing with is probably GTA Online, which I find very amusing. People jitter around occasionally, but Rockstar's netcode is surprisingly solid for the most part. Looking back, we had a lot more trouble in GT5 online races with warping, although expectations were very different back then (MP was more of a novelty and the SP was the main event) so it didn't really bother us.

Any insight for VR?
There is a menu section dedicated to it. That is all I can glean from the beta. Will be super intrigued how it runs on the Pro. If it is solid, and you own a wheel, could be huge for the console market. Seems like a hell of a lot of fun based on the Oculus and Vive vids you see for PC sims.

Yesterday the online games were super laggy for me even though I had 28ping. The other cars were flopping around the track from side to side and speeding up and disappearing and reappearing. SLOW DOWN and penalty time was showing most of the race even though I was driving perfectly. It was pretty bad, gave up trying and quit the second race.

Not really trying to defend it but with a small pool of players and no doubt plenty of non American, American psn accounts maybe there's just some shit connections going on.

You can also see the 4th ghosting through the 3rd in you rear view mirror. I would blame it on the people from Europe, middle east, etc who got into the beta using an american PSN account.

You can also see the 4th ghosting through the 3rd in you rear view mirror. I would blame it on the people from Europe, middle east, etc who got into the beta using an american PSN account.

If these are hosted races, then this is the worst possible way to deal with laggy players..giving them an advantage. I have also had way too many bad online experiences for it all to be chalked up to non US players. I match make with non US servers in other multiplayer games and it doesn't all fall apart like this. I know they can fix all this before release, but I expected more from PD the second they committed to an online focused GT. I would have assumed step one would have been nailing netcode and how to resolve latency issues.

This is not the ragged edge of experimentation or the testing of revolutionary new online systems. This is cars on a track. It has been perfected for over a decade by various games across various platforms.

If these are hosted races, then this is the worst possible way to deal with laggy players..giving them an advantage. I have also had way too many bad online experiences for it all to be chalked up to non US players. I match make with non US servers in other multiplayer games and it doesn't all fall apart like this. I know they can fix all this before release, but I expected more from PD the second they committed to an online focused GT. I would have assumed step one would
have been nailing netcode and how to resolve latency issues.

This is not the ragged edge of experimentation or the testing of revolutionary new online systems. This is cars on a track. It has been perfected for over a decade by various games across various platforms.

I have been watching a couple videos of online races and I think I get it now. It has nothing to do with lag. It's some kind of crash prevention system.

If two cars go into a corner with a speed differential of 15+ MPH, somebody has messed up. Either the car in front is going too slow, or the car behind is going too fast.

8t7oltv.gif

So how do they know who is right? They just let physics be the judge. They turn one car into a ghost and, if the driver in front is going too slow, he is going to be overtaken. If the driver behind is going too fast, he is going to drive through the car in front and crash against the wall or get the car out of the track.

It makes sense to me, but it will have to be well thought out if they don't want people exploiting it.

Solal

Sorry to bust people's bubble but...the sounds are still crap imo. I don't really understand all the praises GTS gets about its sounds.

Still the same poor synthetic engine noises....this time just backed by more wind sounds and admission sounds... but the engine sounds ? Still shitty to my ears.

In the Ferrari 458 GT3 video, you almost can't hear the mechanical noises of the engine... sounds more like an RC car than a racing monster.

And even compared to the competition, GTS sounds are still weak...

I can't believe we still don't have sounds that are just top of the class..or at least among the best.

Why PD still can't do better than that...and still get a pass?

Putty

Sorry to bust people's bubble but...the sounds are still crap imo. I don't really understand all the praises GTS gets about its sounds.

Still the same poor synthetic engine noises....this time just backed by more wind sounds and admission sounds... but the engine sounds ? Still shitty to my ears.

In the Ferrari 458 GT3 video, you almost can't hear the mechanical noises of the engine... sounds more like an RC car than a racing monster.

And even compared to the competition, GTS sounds are still weak...

I can't believe we still don't have sounds that are just top of the class..or at least among the best.

Why PD still can't do better than that...and still get a pass?

I love bubbles.

Darklor01

What? Is this GT6?

So far, the beta is a mixed bag graphically. Some tracks are really good, and some could seriously use adjustment.

I have no clue how old this build actually is to what they have now, but I'm hoping for improvements. Mostly, I want them to have rock solid netcode if this game is going to be online focused. For me, the visuals need to be good. I already love the cars. I guess we'll have to see how this all pans out.

So far, I have mixed impressions playing the beta in graphics and in gameplay.

Got my CronusMAX and hooked up my G27. Works like a charm. FFB seems to be the exact same as GT6 with the G27. I am not sure if I am losing any FFB fidelity but if the game thinks I have a G29, then it should be no different than a G27 seeing as they are identical internal components.

Oh man, what is it this year?
On paper this was supposed to be the greatest year for racing sims on consoles EVER with DiRT 4, GT Sport, Forza 7 and Project CARS 2.

Few weeks ago I see the nVidia 4k pCARS2 video with the hitchy-vibrating AMG GT3 that shows brake lock-up on the outside wheel in 2 corners - I'm thinking "this is the same crap with more cars and tracks and better weather and nicer graphics, thank god for Steam refunds".

For the guys who turn off all the assists anyway, DiRT 4 is going to be DiRT Rally plus a track generator and better tarmac and aero simulation, not worth 60 bucks for me.

GT Sport's physics seem to be about the same step from 6 as 6 was from 5 - not much at all, still very "GT", didn't even change the way they simulate FFB but Thrustmaster is making a super expensive (supposedly) direct drive wheel for this?? *head shaking in despair*

Haven't heard from Forza Motorsport 7, but I can feel a "peasant edition" incoming for non-Scorpio users as well as a PC version with crap frame-pacing. I hear they're gonna improve FFB, have hired a guy for this and were seeking advice from Fanatec to make the FFB better. This has my hopes up a little, but I see a trend - 2 trends actually: One with Forza over-promising on the sim side (claiming "torque vectoring", "chassis flex" and other BS that is definitely not simulated) for years and the other trend of racing games 2017 disappointing me before they're even out.

Mascot

Oh man, what is it this year?
On paper this was supposed to be the greatest year for racing sims on consoles EVER with DiRT 4, GT Sport, Forza 7 and Project CARS 2.

Few weeks ago I see the nVidia 4k pCARS2 video with the hitchy-vibrating AMG GT3 that shows brake lock-up on the outside wheel in 2 corners - I'm thinking "this is the same crap with more cars and tracks and better weather and nicer graphics, thank god for Steam refunds".

For the guys who turn off all the assists anyway, DiRT 4 is going to be DiRT Rally plus a track generator and better tarmac and aero simulation, not worth 60 bucks for me.

GT Sport's physics seem to be about the same step from 6 as 6 was from 5 - not much at all, still very "GT", didn't even change the way they simulate FFB but Thrustmaster is making a super expensive (supposedly) direct drive wheel for this?? *head shaking in despair*

Haven't heard from Forza Motorsport 7, but I can feel a "peasant edition" incoming for non-Scorpio users as well as a PC version with crap frame-pacing. I hear they're gonna improve FFB, have hired a guy for this and were seeking advice from Fanatec to make the FFB better. This has my hopes up a little, but I see a trend - 2 trends actually: One with Forza over-promising on the sim side (claiming "torque vectoring", "chassis flex" and other BS that is definitely not simulated) for years and the other trend of racing games 2017 disappointing me before they're even out.

That's the spirit!

:p

FrankWza

I liked this thread better when it was people in the beta showing some clips and pics and everyone else wanting to get in the beta.

Top Bottom