• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

Wanted to randomly say that I love having a qualifying session for everything. Having it open up 24 hours before the first race is also extremely convenient. In the final release I'm assuming there are just going to be more "sport" events on more tracks and with more cars, more frequently. Qualifying matters! A lot! This is infinitely better than any randomized grid. Even on, say, a 5 lap race of any of the road circuits, you can forget about a win or podium if you start at the back without any time set. Rewarding effort and talent indirectly like this is awesome.

benzy

Wow, I'm not sure I could play with an FOV like that. Even sitting directly in front of a 80" TV couldn't save that one.
Haven't play a GT game with its original FOV in a long time, but this looks worse than Forza, holy moley. Not even talking about the dash, but how distant the second corner after the karussel looks like. I know how far that should look like.

The FOV for the M6 GT3 cockpit is kind of worse than other cars. If they stretch it back and make everything look warped so you get a wider FOV, the windshield will look really small and you'll get most of the cockpit filling up the screen though. Game needs a dash cam like DriveClub.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i6h-doHILy8

rxoqqj.gif

But yeah, bumper cam is the way to go. Wish they would let us turn off the rear-view mirror in bumper cam during gameplay though. Like in the replays.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-b-ToU6jFZk

ooepjn.gif

Patrick S.

Banned
I can't get over the silly position of the driver's hands on the wheel. Who the hell drives like that? PD really need to change this to a normal position.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
I can't get over the silly position of the driver's hands on the wheel. Who the hell drives like that? PD really need to change this to a normal position.

Looks like that is the Hand position for that steering wheel to hit the paddle shifters optimally. I have no clue for real though.

No one holds a wheel with their thumbs resting on the wheel and not around it. The paddle shifting animation is also really bad and over exaggerated. I really hope you can turn off arms and wheel. They look so goofy.

The FOV for the M6 GT3 cockpit is kind of worse than other cars. If they stretch it back and make everything look warped so you get a wider FOV, the windshield will look really small and you'll get most of the cockpit filling up the screen though. Game needs a dash cam like DriveClub.
No, as I said, it's not the cockpit or how small the dash is, that's bad, sure, but I can live with that... but how far far FAR the second corner after Karussel looks is really awful, with that FOV it looks like it's a km away, dass he road looks tiny and super narrow in the distance.

Btw. Codemasters have said that there won't be FOV options in the console version of DiRT 4 because of "performance issues", just on PC FOV options will be there.
First, I don't understand that, second, I'd take bad performance or lower resultion over wrong and even bad FOV any day. I still believe devs only do that to make it look fast, because with correct FOV, a 16:9 aspect ratio and without putting your face directly onto your TV, 160mph doeslook slow, driving a car in real life with a viewing window as small and far away as most living room TVs does look slow, most people don't understand that and now I have to suffer these distorted distances in basically every racing game on consoles because of those ignorants.

The Stig

No one holds a wheel with their thumbs resting on the wheel and not around it. The paddle shifting animation is also really bad and over exaggerated. I really hope you can turn off arms and wheel. They look so goofy.

the thumbs thing is general good practice. ask a driving instructor, racing or otherwise. if your thumbs are wrapped around the wheel in an accident you could break them.

the thumbs thing is general good practice. ask a driving instructor, racing or otherwise. if your thumbs are wrapped around the wheel in an accident you could break them.

Broken thumbs is more of an airbag thing. With racing it's hands off the wheel and to your chest so you don't break your wrists.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Tonight I had a The tale of two cities version of online races in consecutive Bands Hatch races. The fist, I finished second to last after bashed about the track. The SR for these racers were in the 13-18 range, I was 10. In this race, the racers were all over the place and bashing into everyone. They even pinned me into the grass around a turn causing all of us to lose SR. By the end of the race the whole board had red SR numbers and I dropped 3 points from being hit, not the other way around.

In the second race, the top SR was 8. I finished 6th, which, for me is good. Everyone in this one raced clean and we all advanced in SR nicely.

Crazy how the second race withower SR numbers by a chunk behaved properly, not the other way around.

Still enjoying the beta, there is a lot I hope is different in the final game. Was fun to see the Japanese flags of PD staff racing tonight.

Mascot

This should be a given in 2017, but I fear PD will be stubbornly pushing their own artistic vision here. Personally, having on-screen arms/steering wheel when my own arms/steering wheel are right there in front of me looks ridiculous. I'd have to avoid cockpit view if the option to disable them isn't there, and that means I'd probably largely end up avoiding GTS and playing a different racer with sensible options. Yep, it's enough of a deal breaker for me.

This should be a given in 2017, but I fear PD will be stubbornly pushing their own artistic vision here. Personally, having on-screen arms/steering wheel when my own arms/steering wheel are right there in front of me looks ridiculous. I'd have to avoid cockpit view if the option to disable them isn't there, and that means I'd probably largely end up avoiding GTS and playing a different racer with sensible options. Yep, it's enough of a deal breaker for me.
I need an onscreen wheel that shows the same position as my irl wheel. Must be something about my wheel still being 2 feet away from the screen and I have a good feeling that my inputs are interpreted correctly at every moment. My guess is that more sim racers are like me and want the onscreen wheel (but not a laggy one with wrong DoR like in Forza or GT and not one that adds artificial wheel shake like pCARS1). That iRacing just mocapped new arm animations shows that people want that. But even if only 5% of players are like you and want to turn off the onscreen wheel off(I think it's a lot more but still not a majority), it should be very easy for devs to implement an option that just turns that 3D object off, there is no excuse for not offering the option.

PD will always prioritize Kaz's vision over player choice. We still can't adjust brake/accelerator sensitivity or linearity. Absolute bog standard option in every sim racer on consoles and PC. GT still doesn't have this.

Agremont

PD will always prioritize Kaz's vision over player choice. We still can't adjust brake/accelerator sensitivity or linearity. Absolute bog standard option in every sim racer on consoles and PC. GT still doesn't have this.

Or like the lack of drivetrain simulation because apparently it's too hard to simulate. Absolute BS.

cooldawn

Next you'll want a FPS without any legs!

MouldyK

Wait, so things where I need to adjust the sensitivity on the Brake Pedal of the GT920 on Forza because I can only reach 20% Brake because of whatever is inside the GT920 Brake Pedal...would be impossible on GTS?

That's dumb.

Figured this would be a good place to ask.

Is the T150 a good wheel? I don't really want to spend over $200 before tax/shipping.

Also whats the best stand/seat thats not super expensive?

I was looking at the Playseat Challenge but I use a Poang from Ikea for my gaming and if I could just find a nice stand that was cheaper I would prefer that.

Figured this would be a good place to ask.

Is the T150 a good wheel? I don't really want to spend over $200 before tax/shipping.

Also whats the best stand/seat thats not super expensive?

I was looking at the Playseat Challenge but I use a Poang from Ikea for my gaming and if I could just find a nice stand that was cheaper I would prefer that.

The 150 is the absolute best wheel that you're going to find under $200. However, if you're willing to pay a bit extra i'd suggest you go with this version

http://www.gamestop.com/accessories...-edition-racing-wheel-only-at-gamestop/131351

It fixes the only real flaw with the 150, which is that the pedals aren't so great. But they'll get the job done if you go with the standard model.

Wait, so things where I need to adjust the sensitivity on the Brake Pedal of the GT920 on Forza because I can only reach 20% Brake because of whatever is inside the GT920 Brake Pedal...would be impossible on GTS?

That's dumb.

No brake mods allowed! Even if you don't have a wheel, being able to move the point of threshold braking further down the L2 pull would be nice.

Mobius 1

Looks like that is the Hand position for that steering wheel to hit the paddle shifters optimally. I have no clue for real though.

It looks silly, but you can't completely dismiss it since Senna did that sometimes.

-hadouken

^ Cool and all, tho from my perspective these fantasy tracks (and VGT cars for that matter) don't represent a smart use of precious dev time.

new track in Polyphony Digital’s upcoming racer. ^^

https://www.gtplanet.net/new-gt-spo...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

El capitan is back !! or not ;)

Yaaaassss. I still pray for Seattle every night.

^ Cool and all, tho from my perspective these fantasy tracks (and VGT cars for that matter) don't represent a smart use of precious dev time.

Boo! A lot of GT fantasy tracks are amazing. Certainly more during GT3 and GT4. And they should actually be cheaper to make than real life tracks.

Sebmugi

Yes the fictitious circuits are an integral part of the soul of a GT and they are among the most beautiful ever created <3
Races in town leading Hong Kong, New York, Opéra de Paris, Seoul Central, Circuit de Seattle, Citta di Aria, Côte d'Azur, George V Paris... XP

Stillmatic

Ordered a GIMX thanks to some comments in this thread. I thought all hope was lost, I can't wait to use my DFGT again.

Won't get it in time for beta though, but all good. &#128077;

Looks fine to me. Not perfect, but compared to perfect 10 implementation, it's like an 8. I mean it has to wrap over hundreds of differently sized and sometimes shaped wheels.

Also the FOV complainers need to go fight the traditional sense-of-speed complainers to see who gets to bug Polyphony about their cause, as both are in direct opposition.

Also interior camera distance complainers - there is the option to move closer to the windshield in GT, stop fretting, the beta still has almost no typical options.

I feel sorry for Polyphony, the amount of blinkered feedback they must get on non-issues. Stop distracting them!

Business

Specially baffling considering Kaz himself doesn't hold the wheel like that either. But that's Gran Turismo, baffling is common.

Cars, I completely agree with, but the fantasy tracks in GT games are a staple and some of the most fun tracks to race on.

Visually I'd love something tropical like Tahiti in GT2.

I'm also not a big fan of 'walled' tracks, dude to how incredibly un-punishing it is to hit a wall. I'm not even talking about damage here. Currently they basically just nudge you back on track with minimal slow down, they should, at least slow you way down and have a really jarring impact noise.

Been playing the beta. So this beta version currently has no advantage on the pro?

I feel the LoD is a little too agressive in the beta. I hope the final version will be less so. At least on ps4pro.

I will take better filtering and less LoD popin over 4K or supersampling.

Also man the driver aids are really over bearing at the defaults! At first I was like what did they do to GT! This feels so mushy and not responsive! Then I realized it was practically driving the car for me. Turned those off...

amar212

Yes the fictitious circuits are an integral part of the soul of a GT and they are among the most beautiful ever created <3
Races in town leading Hong Kong, New York, Opéra de Paris, Seoul Central, Circuit de Seattle, Citta di Aria, Côte d'Azur, George V Paris... XP

I agree with the sentiment. "Original" and "City" tracks were amazing during GT1-GT4 era.

However, all Original and City tracks from GT5 and GT6 are plain... plain.

In the same time, SMS created most amazing fictional tracks during past gen for NFS: Shift games, TDU: Ferrari and PCARS.

Visually I'd love something tropical like Tahiti in GT2.

I'm also not a big fan of 'walled' tracks, dude to how incredibly un-punishing it is to hit a wall. I'm not even talking about damage here. Currently they basically just nudge you back on track with minimal slow down, they should, at least slow you way down and have a really jarring impact noise.

Well, hitting a wall docks your sportsmanship points. For a certain kind of player that can feel very punishing.

It is not good practice, because you have less grip on the wheel if you hold it this way, particularly in a race car without power assistance (where steering torque is very high). The wheel could more easily slip from your hands, meaning you have less control and you're more prone to accidents in the first place. It makes no sense to compromise your grip in the entire time you drive a car, just for that split second before an accident.

Looks fine to me. Not perfect, but compared to perfect 10 implementation, it's like an 8.
It's completely incorrect! It's a zero.

I mean it has to wrap over hundreds of differently sized and sometimes shaped wheels.
Not an excuse. Every other sim gets it right, or at least, more reasonable than this. And PD themselves fixed some of the worst offenders from GT5 in GT6. They are going backwards again.

Top Bottom