• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Beta Thread

hesido

I don't think it will ever be accurate: thats a leading computational science field and implementing such calculations in a game engine would break all costs.

NEON_A00_1M_5_CARS_02.gif

All thats needed is something that looks realistic. Even making it look realistic would require a ton of effort that I think many racing developers simply do not see worth it at this point in time.

I don't think it needs to be accurate at all. Just should look convincing for big crashes. I remember a CodeMasters game did this quite well, waaay back. I personally don't need forensic level detail. Then again, with hundreds of cars, they need to pre-can all those deformations, probably precomputing standard crashes at multiple directions, and mixing those with varying percentages.

So, not gonna happen.

IISANDERII

Holy shit, the GR3 class on Dragon Trail is so much fucking fun! That track is made for that class of cars.
GT-R's as far as the eye can see. I qualified 6th in my little Alfa Romeo but just kept getting bumped all over the place and it effects the little Alfa much more because it has such tenuous grip on the road. They really need to fix this.

Patrick S.

Banned
I'm fine with the visual damage level in pCars. My only pet annoyance is when things lake badges or rear lights get stretched like chewing gum. Those things break apart, and don't behave like cookie dough. Just make them out of three or four parts that can fall off as needed.

Calling bs on this. I've seen all games, from iRacing to pCars have problems with collision dynamics. A lot of the problems are similar: transferring momentum, how is direction changed when colliding with barriers and how much speed is lost.

Its a genre wide issue.

At no point did I claim some one is killing it in crash and collision dynamics, just that GT is well behind. GT has had the same base system since PS2 era. I can still punt cars in GTS exactly the same as I did in GT3. There is just now a time penalty system. No one is perfect, but GT remains pretty shitty. They still can't even model cars lifting off the ground correctly, like at Flugplatz on the Ring, let alone in high energy impacts that would cause cars to roll or flip. There is a lot of GT6 in GTS. And there was a lot of GT5 in GT6... you get the idea. There is some old baggage in GT, and collision physics is definitely one of them. I really could give a shit about rendering visual damage. Scrapes and minor dents is fine.

I just did the qualifying for the N300 @Nordschleife.
The Lancer is fun on that track and the braking distance seems normal there compared to Willow or Brands [I know that it doesn't make sense]. Went almost no toe-in and camber in the rear, AYC off, front diff to lowest possible rear diff higher, then 360° hard lock on my T500. It's stupid how forgiving the tire physics are, but so much fun(!!) in that car/track combo!!

That was also my daily workout, but when I exited, I didn't get a new car and they race wasn't listed anymore, instead it's N300 @Brands Hatch today again?!??

It seems like they thought it's Saturday already at PD then corrected that while I was driving: The N300@Nordschleife event was supposed to be 5pm and N300@Brands is now 7pm like every other Monday-Friday event.

Unknown?

At no point did I claim some one is killing it in crash and collision dynamics, just that GT is well behind. GT has had the same base system since PS2 era. I can still punt cars in GTS exactly the same as I did in GT3. There is just now a time penalty system. No one is perfect, but GT remains pretty shitty. They still can't even model cars lifting off the ground correctly, like at Flugplatz on the Ring, let alone in high energy impacts that would cause cars to roll or flip. There is a lot of GT6 in GTS. And there was a lot of GT5 in GT6... you get the idea. There is some old baggage in GT, and collision physics is definitely one of them. I really could give a shit about rendering visual damage. Scrapes and minor dents is fine.

As far as physics go GT6 blew GT5 out of the water. Much more realistic and cars actually had body roll where as GT5 in a fast corner the suspension wasn't visible at all. Unless you're just talking collisions and that but as far as driving physics GT6 was all new and much better.

As far as physics go GT6 blew GT5 out of the water. Much more realistic and cars actually had body roll where as GT5 in a fast corner the suspension wasn't visible at all. Unless you're just talking collisions and that but as far as driving physics GT6 was all new and much better.

In this instance I was specifically talking about collision physics. But yeah, suspension was a nice overhaul between GT5 and GT6. I was hoping for more of that now that we jumped a hardware gen and this is a much more focused down GT release. Full aero overhaul and new racing tire model would be very welcomed. Those two things have dragged down the LM/GT1/GR.3 cars for ages. GT's engine was built around production cars and it still shows. Production cars feel so much better even in GTS than race trim cars. Sports tires, no aero and stock parts ftw.

If you told me that was real, I'd believe it.

Is it really that impressive when its just a replay? We don't play the game from that angle but if the game offered that sense of awesome whilst playing it in one's preferred view, then I could understand the positive vibes.

Not taking away from your comment though - looks real as fuck lol! Just wished the game whilst playing wowed me as much :-(

?Maybe it will after all its only a beta...

Is it really that impressive when its just a replay? We don't play the game from that angle but if the game offered that sense of awesome whilst playing it in one's preferred view, then I could understand the positive vibes.

Not taking away from your comment though - looks real as fuck lol! Just wished the game whilst playing wowed me as much :-(

The gameplay camera is generally going to have to ensure it's giving a proper view of the car/course. I think it being a lot less stuck to the tail of the car when turning would help. If you're driving and use the manual camera, you do get some impressive visuals.

The gameplay camera is generally going to have to ensure it's giving a proper view of the car/course. I think it being a lot less stuck to the tail of the car when turning would help. If you're driving and use the manual camera, you do get some impressive visuals.

I watched some footage earlier and overall I was impressed by the visuals somewhat. Not sure if 'quite' what I want in terms of quality though. Will judge more on Official Release of full game before I make my mind up.

Funny thing is a lot of people complain that GT always has tyres that screech too much but after looking at Project Cars, I quite like the tire screech as it seems to give more feedback even though its unrealistic. I hope Project Cars 2 gives us an option to increase this because at the moment, I'm leaning towards this and thinking of giving GT a miss (which is unbelievable for me).

The game can never look like that while you're playing. Replays allow the lighting engine to really shine because you're seeing it from all angles instead of a more stationary camera. In reality, GT's replays don't really add much that isn't already there during the gameplay. The most significant thing that they do is add motion blur, which is why the framerate drops to 30fps. But the car models, textures, lighting etc. all remain the same. There's no trickery in the sense that they're swapping in some ultra settings for the replays to make everything look so much better.

benzy

Racing in gameplay angles can also look just as impressive. I don't see the logic in why it would be less impressive just because it's from a replay angle though, it's still in-game graphics like the gameplay.

rvfbni.gif

AndyD

aka andydumi
Racing in gameplay angles can also look just as impressive. I don't see the logic in why it would be less impressive just because it's from a replay angle though, it's still in-game graphics like the gameplay.

rvfbni.gif
Indeed. I think during gameplay seeing the other cars do their thing around the track is incredibly immersive and impressive.
But at the end of the day while driving your focus is on doing well, not enjoying the sights. When watching trackside it's all about enjoying.

Mascot

Had one absolutely epic Gr4 race at Dragon Trail last night - clean, well-fought and exciting.

The next two were ridiculous bash-fests with many players ignoring track placement and abusing the ghosting to gain places, which sometimes worked and sometimes didn't.

Ho hum. Literally very hit and miss.

UltSeer1

Banned
I don't think this game is going to be very good, I think PolyPhonies have realized that they just can't compete with Turn 10 and when Forza 7 comes out it's most likely going to crush this game badly. I predict GTS getting a 74 on Metacritic.

I don't think this game is going to be very good, I think PolyPhonies have realized that they just can't compete with Turn 10 and when Forza 7 comes out it's most likely going to crush this game badly. I predict GTS getting a 74 on Metacritic.

O...kay?

So, on topic, has anyone else from EU gotten a code recently?

I reaaally want to try this :(

kvn

You will last long.

mcrommert

Banned
Man you can argue with polyphony for taking too long but this game looks beautiful... Certain gifs look real while others look obviously not... It's strange

danowat

Banned

Polyphonies? is that a thing? damn.........

Firstly, have you played GTS, secondly, Forza 7 is an unknown quantity, it hasn't even been announced yet.

cooldawn

Keep the visual damage as rudimentary as you like. Best efforts at modelling mechanical damage is what matters. Maybe we will finally be able to blow an engine or lose gears in GT.
Gran Turismo has had mechanical damage but not to that extent i.e. could always limp back to the pits. Maybe they could introduce mechanical failures through progression, the more you advance the more challenging the risk is.

...I can still punt cars in GTS exactly the same as I did in GT3...There is some old baggage in GT, and collision physics is definitely one of them.
I'd agree. Car-to-car contact need to be drastically improved.

GT6's physics did feel better but everything else was worse. GT6 was a pretty lame game in the franchise i.e. no real step forward across the board unlike GT4 to GT5.

Bless.

Polyphonies? is that a thing? damn.........

Firstly, have you played GTS, secondly, Forza 7 is an unknown quantity, it hasn't even been announced yet.
GT v Forza thread(s) are going to explode this year.

It's the depth and atmosphere of the background. The car looks so placed in the world.
No developer comes close to Polyphony with this. Cars have always looked natural and in place.

You want to Visit PD, don't you.
And so he should.

Top Bottom