• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Previews

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
GT Sport will look pretty weak with Forza 7 coming out a couple of weeks before.

Then you have the PSN+ cost. Wonder how many GT players want to turn GT Sparse into a £90 120 euro game fi they don't play other games online much if at all.

I'll be buying GTS for offline driving and photo mode.

So, you're saying this game isn't for you? OK.

img_6781-png.663651

Signing contracts with your chosen manufacturer.

BGXBFSu_WPkg.jpg

If people think PD is going to give this kind of credits for license tests then lmao
Looks like races are in.

20170726144830-1280x720.jpg

032.jpg

Call it what you want. We pretty much know what's in the game.

So you agree with me then, unless you deem GT1/GT3 spin offs lol

This is going to be a big fuck up. How do you spend 4 years making a game and forget to include a campaign mode. This is a racing game. All you need to do is name some random events and set up some random races. Absolutely bizarre.

Sony shut down the wrong racing studio.

before we get totally out of hand here, the game has trophy competitions, random events and multi-race championships in the online mode.

I would not buy this game if you don't have online. But if polyphony can nail the online experience, a lot of people will get a close to traditional GT experience.

Tomeru

Which is even worse. You already have people trying to defend this game saying "it's a spinoff game, wait for GT7".

What is there to "defend" against? It's just bickering with little to no substence.

They tookthe offline career mode; where *everyone* complained about staleness and stupid AI, and made it online; where staleness and stupid AI are reolaced with *human* AI and it's accompanied innovative organization.

If that not an Evolution (I even dare say a revolution) for console racers?

Do some of you WANT to race against brain dead AI? Doing the same fucking sunday cup again? Do you fear human competition, or is that concept so foreign?

I'm sad for those without online, but that is not a good reason to not try change. This game will live and die by it's online connectivity, and I only have my buddys' testimony to go by - and he likes it. So do I. And so are many many more!

And those who'd like to see this fail: get out of your parents basement please. Seriously. Get out if you still can.

What is there to "defend" against? It's just bickering with little to no substence.

They tookthe offline career mode; where *everyone* complained about staleness and stupid AI, and made it online; where staleness and stupid AI are reolaced with *human* AI and it's accompanied innovative organization.

Do some of you WANT to race against brain dead AI? Doing the same fucking sunday cup again? Do you fear human competition, or is that concept so foreign?

I'm sad for those without online, but that is not a good reason to not try change. This game will live and die by it's online connectivity, and I only have my buddys' testimony to go by - and he likes it. So do I. And so are many many more!

And those who'd like to see this fail: get out of your parents basement please. Seriously. Get out if you still can.

I'm in agreement with everything you said except this. I agree that wanting a game to fail because it doesn't meet your needs/wants is childish. So is telling people to get out of their parent's basement. I once got banned for wanting a Nintendo game to fail. Looking back, I deserved it.

Overall, I feel people need to make peace with what GTS is and move on if they aren't happy with it. Every GTS thread here has been just filled with people constantly bashing the game. The unveiling was loaded with comments about how there graphics were terrible. Later preview threads were loaded with a bunch of people complaining about physics. And later on again about sounds. And all through this.. there has been a steady dose of complaints regarding the SP modes of GTS. This isn't going to change in a few months. It's time to make peace and seek out the games you folks want elsewhere.

Shin-Ra

Which is even worse. You already have people trying to defend this game saying "it's a spinoff game, wait for GT7".
Have you played the game?

Mind boggling how everyone here assumes the entire contents of a game, how it'll be received, it's sales figures and critical reception from previews. Sounds just like the Horizon thread calling out "Bomba, Ubisoft gimmick game".

Seriously what are you guys even talking about with this lack of content crap? The campaign is the online races. You earn credits, new cars, and improve all your stats by racing in the infamous "Sunday cups" just like older titles, now it's just against real life opponents instead of AI.

I'm not saying everyone should get on board with that, but it's just a different developmental shift in design. You either like
It or you don't. Comments like this just don't make any sense to me and I would be insulted if I was a dev

"4 years to make this"
"Content light"
"SP gutted"
"Shell of a game"

Wtf are you guys even talking about? It's just not the change you wanted. I could see myself playing this for years just like Mario Kart.

Just feel like I'm in bizarre land, every update gets me more hyped for the game, and even the most cynical people over at GT planet are more positive than here lol.

Gestault

That's a good overview. Even the PSU presenter politely moves things along when the rep starts talking about how the first set of single-player missions are how to use the gas and brake buttons, lol.

Circuit Experience sounds cool. It's a turn-by-turn tutorial for specific tracks. They mention too that you'll unlock cars as you hit different threshholds with medals in the training events.

farisr

Ah the good old, "AI, who even wants to play against that!? Git gud noob and play against some real people."
Sooo, you can earn credits in Arcade mode races:

https://youtu.be/6hMpGzU2z84?t=9m4s

Watch for 30 seconds on from the timestamp until he has selected track and car. There's your endless offline race opportunities for those wanting that!
And the good old this mode = this mode, when it really doesn't. ("for those who want arcade mode, there's survival mode")

Yeah guys, this situation is totally not mirroring the Street Fighter V situation and posts that were made in defense of that at launch. Nope, not at all.

Fredrik

even the most cynical people over at GT planet are more positive than here lol.
Eh...
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...le-player-scapes-and-social-functions.357855/
It's the same everywhere. Maybe you do live in bizarro world if you think everyone who loves GT are going to jump in on online multiplayer? lots of people will stay offline, especially now that online is a pay service, and lots of people will obviously be disappointed if the offline content isn't as meaty as they hope for just as with any game doing a transition like this.
But it is what it is. It's not going to change now. At this point we can only hope that PD hear the complaints and add a career mode through DLC.

Eh...
https://www.gtplanet.net/forum/thre...le-player-scapes-and-social-functions.357855/
It's the same everywhere. Maybe you do live in bizarro world if you think everyone who loves GT are going to jump in on online multiplayer? lots of people will stay offline, especially now that online is a pay service, and lots of people will obviously be disappointed if the offline content isn't as meaty as they hope for just as with any game doing a transition like this.
But it is what it is. It's not going to change now. At this point we can only hope that PD hear the complaints and add a career mode through DLC.
my point is that place is super specific and detailed but there was still some positivity, especially during the beta and how things slowly kept improving.

I'm actually one of the ones who was dissappointed by the changes and thought of GT as Pokecars lol. I just don't get the constant complaining though and writing it off as some trash GT game. I'll give it a shot, sounds like it could be dope, and if it's not, sales will likely reflect that and they will try something new again.

Each to their own though. For me, I got tired of playing AI in cup races by GT5. Campaign is now against real players, seems to be a good rating system so you won't be playing against bumper car fools online, and they are actually putting enough content in the SP to where you do 'get gud' and MP isn't even a thought.

Easier said than done of course, but I'm willing to give it a shot.

MaDKaT

snip...

and even the most cynical people over at GT planet are more positive than here lol.

Are you on GTPlanet? It is getting panned there and all over by fans and cynics alike. I for one was a huge fan. It really pains me that this is the first GT that Im going to sit out on considering the lengths I went through for past GT games. Rig builds may still be on IGN and GTPlanet. I applaud the efforts for Online. GT has needed that for a long time. But there is no doubt PD is thumbing their noses at older fans who enjoyed the offline.

GT planet always is a harsh critic simply because they care so much about GT. They will still pretty much all buy it though xD

Not everyone is going to like that vision, especially considering how the GT formula has always been the same until this point.

Well, the whole point was to change it up with this title, hence not being numbered. I do agree garage progression and campaign mode would be ideal additions. Its good to have both and PD can easily do it.

Still I know online is going to so much fun. My best GT5 memories were online.

Fox Mulder

Honestly, I've just hated online racing. I've played racing games for decades and online racing is more often shit unless you're something really hardcore like iracing.

Console racing opens you up to fucking morons, cheaters, and trolls. Forza is god awful online. GT is a huge franchise that sells to more than just hardcore pro drivers sitting on a couch.

GT planet always is a harsh critic simply because they care so much about GT. They will still pretty much all buy it though xD

Well, the whole point was to change it up with this title, hence not being numbered. I do agree garage progression and campaign mode would be ideal additions. Its good to have both and PD can easily do it.

Still I know online is going to so much fun. My best GT5 memories were online.

I think most of the complainers are die-hard GT fans, that's why they're so angry it's changing haha.

And yes I know but I never enjoyed online racing in GT, too much bumper cars and bad connections, though I'm willing to try again with dedicated servers. I really hope they add more offline stuff after release though.

I also can't believe I'm going to play a GT game without an oldschool skyline, supra, NSX or RX7, it's almost blasphemy!

Are you on GTPlanet? It is getting panned there and all over by fans and cynics alike. I for one was a huge fan. It really pains me that this is the first GT that Im going to sit out on considering the lengths I went through for past GT games. Rig builds may still be on IGN and GTPlanet. I applaud the efforts for Online. GT has needed that for a long time. But there is no doubt PD is thumbing their noses at older fans who enjoyed the offline.
I am...I'm saying GAF is worse. Thread I visited were a lot of car enthusiasts.

But I digress this isn't a debate I'm willing to continue, I've said my peace on it.

I'm open to change and willing to see how it goes. I could not live my life like some of you (even on lighter stuff like entertainment) and be dismissal of everything that's different, and as you say "be pained by a new direction". I just can't relate. I will try the new layout of the game for myself and not draw conclusions from previews and other people playing it.

Hmm without PS+ I just don't think I will get my monies worth out of this game sadly. Love GT games but I will probably have to pass. The campaign video was just...boring.

MBS

Banned
I used to be a hardcore fan of the series but sadly, GT series is irrelevent and a shell of it's former shelf after GT5. The lack of a fully-fledged GT7 indicates a lack of confidence from their side and there's absolutely no excuses on that when Turn-10 drops a full title every 2 years that gets critically acclaimed each time.

Having ultra super premium cars and interiors, shiny photo modes and another 100hrs of driving schools is not a selling point for me anymore, sorry.

MaDKaT

I think most of the complainers are die-hard GT fans, that's why they're so angry it's changing haha.

..snip

This is me. Sure I wasn't day one when GT1 launched but damn if I wasn't fanatical before GT2's release. Bought every game(all PD's games), demo(Prius racing for the win), show disc(GT2000 anyone?) and imports with different content. Downloaded every demo and academy game(PS3). Built multiple rigs and bought various wheels (didnt own a desktop so no PC games). Defended tooth an nail against every competitor game on PC and console alike to argue nothing but pros (sigh....my ign days). Things certainly got ugly with the release of Prologue. Used every excuse in the world about how GT was ok not keeping pace with the competition but damn, this game is my breaking point. Sadly, Ill probably still pick up the game eventually(used/collection) but it is really hard not to be dumbstruck at the direction taken.

Tomeru

Ah the good old, "AI, who even wants to play against that!? Git gud noob and play against some real people."And the good old this mode = this mode, when it really doesn't.

1st; how proper of to drop the word before AI to make an irrelevant point.

2nd; thanks for missing my point. (Stealth edit)

And for the last part of th quote: ofcourse its not the same mode. Its a much improved and engaging version of it.

Console racing opens you up to fucking morons, cheaters, and trolls. Forza is god awful online. GT is a huge franchise that sells to more than just hardcore pro drivers sitting on a couch.

Peoples begaviour online is the wrong reason to not go online with your game. A good dev develops tools to handle that. We'll have to see how it turns out (I think most impressions from the beta were positive regarding that), but condeming it before its even out? I heard ppl trash mmos because of griefers time om end, only to discover that most of those claims are exaggerated. Have some faith in ppl and in devs who want their games to work.

Niks

Been fan of the series pretty much since the beginning (GT1), and I can't care less about the FIA stuff.

However, as long as we can create, custom lobbies and clubs to race on, I'm good.

The GAF races we had on GT5 we're legendary and tons of fun.

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Well lets just say I'm divided on this game:

On one hand, these days it's hard for me to play single player racing games anymore, after spending so much time with iRacing(and to a lesser extend various Codemasters games online). Once iracing got its hooks in me, I really struggled to get through a single player game regardless of what kind of career it had. Hell, I had to find motivation to tackle GT4 being super late to the party and settling for playing it emulated.

With that having been said, there's a part of me that longs for the day when there was no online at all, and we were forced to sink our time into the single player game. I really miss the good ole days of GT1, GT2 and GT3. A poster by the name of moparmanmike has summed up perfectly why the single player component in today's racing sims/games get quite boring after just a few days.

*sigh* I was afraid of this. With this trend that's been going on with racing games lately (all cars and tracks unlocked from the start, no way to earn money, no way to mod vehicles, no sense of progression or reason to even play the single player = NO FUN!) I was hoping, in fact I was sure that there would be NO WAY PD would fall into that trap.

All of the things that made gran turismo gran turismo, has been missing out of so many racing games this gen (Project Cars, Assetto Corsa, Race Room, Drive Club etc), and it seems its gonna be missing from gran turismo this time around itself. A big part of the fun was car collecting, and starting at the bottom of the barrel. Then working your way to the top. A nobody(the driver) with a crappy $5k car that you win little small races with, hop up, and win more to get money to buy that next car. Rinse and repeat. It was the "RPG" element so to speak that made it fun.

Now it seems like the "campaign" is becoming nothing more then a multiplayer trainer. I agree multiplayer is a big part of any game now, but still, don't take away a big part of what draws your fanbase for the past 20 years!

This summarizes exactly why I've become disenchanted with today's racing games containing a so called "career campaign" mode. They need to bring back the RPG progression element. Buying a new game having the fastest cars in the world available to you from day 1 gets boring REAL fast and is the wrong way to approach the single player component. Let's see what Turn 10 brings to the table with F7.

The beta made me a believer. I don't like online, but the format works a treat. The typical chase the rabbit career mode races were getting old tbh. They need to have seasonal events though.

The beta made me a believer. I don't like online, but the format works a treat. The typical chase the rabbit career mode races were getting old tbh. They need to have seasonal events though.
I think they do...

They really need to show the online race cups already, tired of piecing together everything from screengrabs

This summarizes exactly why I've become disenchanted with today's racing games containing a so called "career campaign" mode. They need to bring back the RPG progression element. Buying a new game having the fastest cars in the world available to you from day 1 gets boring REAL fast and is the wrong way to approach the single player component. Let's see what Turn 10 brings to the table with F7.

Totally agree, loved having to start with an MX5 or something in the old GT games, it feels SO much more rewarding when you finally get a decent car, usually an R32 skyline or Mk3 Supra TT for me :p

I have a bad feeling about F7 in that regard though, it seems those games get more and more generous as they go forward, heck in FM 6 I started with a Impreza 22B!

And yes I know but I never enjoyed online racing in GT, too much bumper cars and bad connections, though I'm willing to try again with dedicated servers. I really hope they add more offline stuff after release though.

I also can't believe I'm going to play a GT game without an oldschool skyline, supra, NSX or RX7, it's almost blasphemy!

I think a lot of people defending the decisions are also die-hard GT fans ;)
The GT community is massive, and there has always been contentious issues. I think the beta showed some promise on stable races and you can always trust GT GAF.

One of the best things online is just driving in a free lobby. Yeah, I hope they see the reactions and re evaluate the career mode.

GenericUser

I don't get the hate.

traditional GT was: play the game, find a cup that gives you a shitton of money, grind that cup forver. Buy good car, race the higher tier cups, win. Buy an ever pricier car, win everyting.

If GT Sport delivers on the "driving is for everyone" front (a competitive online racing game that even normal players can enjoy) I think this is a good thing and something that no one else done at this point in time.

MaDKaT

I don't get the hate.

traditional GT was: play the game, find a cup that gives you a shitton of money, grind that cup forver. Buy good car, race the higher tier cups, win. Buy an ever pricier car, win everyting.

If GT Sport delivers on the "driving is for everyone" front (a competitive online racing game that even normal players can enjoy) I think this is a good thing and something that no one else done at this point in time.

Problem is the online. The focus cuts people who cant get online, or, like the beta, are cut out when they cant find time for specific event windows.

Unknown?

Problem is the online. The focus cuts people who cant get online, or, like the beta, are cut out when they cant find time for specific event windows.
Poor ass argument though. It obviously has its strengths as online gaming is massive. Specific times are only sport mode, there's another mode for races at any time.

thelastword

Banned
I don't get the hate.

I dont think there's any hate to worry about, the people who were always critical about GT and probably never intended to buy it are the same persons saying it looks dull and they'll buy it when it hits bargain bins....GT will launch and it will sell millions, nothing to stand in it's way tbh...

Top Bottom