• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gran Turismo Sport Previews

danowat

Banned
Not when it's getting worse. No. Why should I?
Think back on your comment the next time you don't like the evolution of a game serie, be that FF, GTA, Zelda, whatever is your passion.

Worse is subjective, if you're into solo, then yeah, it looks worse, but if you're into competitive online racing, it's much, much better.

bombshell

This thread in the second half unsurprisingly has turned out exactly like expected.

"Why are publishers so risk averse, churning out endless stale sequel after stale sequel?"

*Publisher makes a new game in a franchise with a fresh, new goal*

"Why are you not making your racing game following the exact same template of 'How to Make a Great Racing Game in 2005'?"

The fresh, new goal? Making sure exciting online racing can be enjoyed by everyone.

"Yes, but everytime I've raced online I might as well have played Destruction Derby"

The goal is achieved by several parts.

- Actually teach players how to race properly, how to behave properly, how to follow correct race lines and in the process actually make them faster racing drivers.
- Ensure people online behave properly and match them against players of similar Sportsmanship Rating.
- Rank people online by their racing skills and match them against players of similar Driver Rating.
- Have a proper flag system governing the race rules.

The goal would not be achieved by throwing people into endless races against braindead AI opponents with allowance of bumper car overtaking. If you still want to do such races you can create them in the custom offline race creator that is in the game.

If Forza continues to deliver the full package on a bi-yearly basis, you can bet this game will be criticized for it's content.

The full package is that with or without an actual racing rule governed online suite?

Single player content is ridiculously thin yet the development time has been just as long as any main line GT game and probably cost equal or more to make it.

Is it actually thin?

It might be because I like offline content to actually challenge me to do better that I'm seeing loads of content in the GT Sport campaign that others aren't seeing. Those ~250 events that also has race scenarios and are not just license tests? Yeah, they will take a long time to master.

Fredrik

I'm sorry, I didn't know you're from the future. I'll think before I speak next time.
Just be thankful that you're clearly not affected by this change, don't try twisting it into something everybody should be okay with. I don't even have PS+. Stripped away SP content which was the roots of the serie is not easily accepted. Hopefully they can add it as DLC or are already working on GT7 for a surprise launch not too far off.

Fredrik

Worse is subjective, if you're into solo, then yeah, it looks worse, but if you're into competitive online racing, it's much, much better.
I understand that but I don't even have PS+ so I'm kind of getting sidestepped by PD this time. :(

Razgreez

I thought all the mode was already aware but no .. there will be no GT7
GT sport is GT7

If GT7 is X and GTS is Y

If X = Null (does not exist)
And X = Y

Result: Y = Null

It's quite simple really. GTS does not exist XD

Let's rather accept that GTS is GTS. And GT7 may or may not exist now or in the future

Mohonky

xPb5EVD.jpg

Nxn3oOM.jpg

5xabOml.jpg

So good!

So much time seems to be spent by Polyphony on frivolous shit like this photomode crap I dont even know they keep making these games.

When you have titles like Project Cars, Asseta Corsa, Forza etc all looking like they do and have solid mechanics and content, what is the point of GT anymore? It looks amazing in gifs and thats about the extent of it.

Neith

Banned
Well the campaign in GT5 was boring as all hell and took me out of the series. I preordered this just to see what they have accomplished in the years since. I don't care about campaigns if the racing is good and fair.

amar212

So much time seems to be spent by Bungie on frivolous shit like this Crucible crap I dont even know they keep making these games.

When you have titles like Call of Duty, Battlefield, Halo etc all looking like they do and have solid mechanics and content, what is the point of Destiny anymore? It looks amazing in gifs and thats about the extent of it.

Get the point? No? I thought so.

Sebmugi

So much time seems to be spent by Polyphony on frivolous shit like this photomode crap I dont even know they keep making these games.

When you have titles like Project Cars, Asseta Corsa, Forza etc all looking like they do and have solid mechanics and content, what is the point of GT anymore? It looks amazing in gifs and thats about the extent of it.

I think it's better so .. why do what other games do already very well .. it must have a different view from other developers .. ;)
To take a good time with superb modeling of cars are part of the pleasure of car ..

KORNdoggy

Overwatch isn't a franchise that had meaty SP offerings before.

and GTS isnt GT7 *shrugs*

i look at it like forza and forza horizon. are my expectations completely unchanged playing both of those titles? is my desire to play a sim racer met while i drive around a hotwheels loop-de-loop in horizon? do i enjoy the open world freedom while track racing in forza 6?

the answer is no. they're different games. GTS is a MP and motorsport focused spin-off. GTS may get sequels of it's own in the future that remain MP focused. but this isn't the mainline car catalog collection racer.

people would do better to wait for GT7 if they want GT7, instead of wishing GTS was something it never set out to be. you'd think that would be common sense by now, but apparently not. lol

Xater

Ill be turning to Forza 7 for the campaign content and the online leagues (missed out on the gaf league for Forza 6). I know that's not a possibility for some people, but there's also PCars2, AC and the new F1 game. Regardless of your tastes, this year is a great year for racing fans - there will be something out there that will cater to people's needs.

What are people thinking about the livery editor in GT? Could it rival that of Forza's? If there's a fully functioning import image feature that would be so good.

Sadly I no longer have an Xbox One around or I'd do the same. Didn't care much for the first Project Cars. Their career didn't grab me and on a technical level it was a mixed bag on PS4.

and GTS isnt GT7 *shrugs*

i look at it like forza and forza horizon. are my expectations completely unchanged playing both of those titles? is my desire to play a sim racer met while i drive around a hotwheels loop-de-loop in horizon? do i enjoy the open world freedom while track racing in forza 6?

the answer is no. they're different games. GTS is a MP and motorsport focused spin-off. GTS may get sequels of it's own in the future that remain MP focused. but this isn't the mainline car catalog collection racer.

people would do better to wait for GT7 if they want GT7, instead of wishing GTS was something it never set out to be. you'd think that would be common sense by now, but apparently not. lol

It would be less of a deal if PD didn't take forever to put a game out. At this pace we might get a full game on PS5. You have fun, for me they have shit the bed. Their games don't exist in a vacuum and they have at this point better competition.

blastprocessor

The Amiga Brotherhood
Are we 100% sure the campaign are just tests??

Please tell me that's not the case as I've pre-ordered. Online is not priority for me.

KORNdoggy

It would be less of a deal if PD didn't take forever to put a game out..

i don't want them releasing games every other year like forza, it's a detriment. racers are very small incremental update titles anyway, so seeing a new one roll by every 2 years hurts them more than benefits them imo and i honestly see that sort of release shedule as the reason the racing genre is in decline, people just got sick of them. i mean, yes you get more of something you apparently enjoy, but franchise fatigue is a thing, look at AC and COD. i don't want GT to be that, i like that we've only had 6 mainline titles in the span of 20 years. as i said earlier, it makes it an event, not a boring expectation. sony can still announce GT titles at things like E3 with applause and surprise. is that true for forza in any way? not really.

they played the very first test in each catagory. there are hundreds of the things. i can't imagine there at 250 challenges to knock over cones, but reality is we don't know.

danowat

Banned

Please tell me that's not the case as I've pre-ordered. Online is not priority for me.

They still haven't show one section of the campaign, racing etiquette, one would assume that there will be some in there, but what they have shown is pretty much limited to tests, and missions, not (many) 'proper' races.

bombshell

If you compare the solo content to the mainline series, then yes, you can argue it's thin.

But there in lies the biggest issue, comparing it to a mainline GT game.

What is thinness determined by other than the time it takes to complete? If you're a completionist this campaign looks like it will take a lot of time to gold everything.

This thread in the second half unsurprisingly has turned out exactly like expected.

"Why are publishers so risk averse, churning out endless stale sequel after stale sequel?"

*Publisher makes a new game in a franchise with a fresh, new goal*

"Why are you not making your racing game following the exact same template of 'How to Make a Great Racing Game in 2005'?"

The fresh, new goal? Making sure exciting online racing can be enjoyed by everyone.

"Yes, but everytime I've raced online I might as well have played Destruction Derby"

The goal is achieved by several parts.

- Actually teach players how to race properly, how to behave properly, how to follow correct race lines and in the process actually make them faster racing drivers.
- Ensure people online behave properly and match them against players of similar Sportsmanship Rating.
- Rank people online by their racing skills and match them against players of similar Driver Rating.
- Have a proper flag system governing the race rules.

The goal would not be achieved by throwing people into endless races against braindead AI opponents with allowance of bumper car overtaking. If you still want to do such races you can create them in the custom offline race creator that is in the game.
If all of this works as intended I may not be afraid to go online...for once.

Not Drake

To be fair I would go in the "Sport" direction years ago. I love GT, played hundreds of hours of GT5 and GT6 alone and even I saw GT needed focus. This looks like a step in a right direction. I hope it works out for them. Beta was excellent so now I just wish to jump in on the full game.

Mr E.

If you compare the solo content to the mainline series, then yes, you can argue it's thin.

But there in lies the biggest issue, comparing it to a mainline GT game.
It will cost a mainline GT price tho, actually more with the PSN price hike.

Tfault

In this preview by Red Book they mention 145 test in the driving school.
Within these are way more options, such as the driving school (with 145 tests, complete with tutorial videos)

They certainly heap praise on GT Sport

So many lies in some of these posts. You can complain about the new direction SP campaign is going but saying its barebones is evidently false. There are hundreds of events and challenges.

Implementing a championship type event would not take long at all considering there is an arcade mode: you know the mode where you can race on any track with AI in whatever conditions you please.

The only notable thing missing is the garage progression in SP.

Mohasus

Ill be turning to Forza 7 for the campaign content and the online leagues (missed out on the gaf league for Forza 6). I know that's not a possibility for some people, but there's also PCars2, AC and the new F1 game. Regardless of your tastes*, this year is a great year for racing fans - there will be something out there that will cater to people's needs*.

Yay simulator galore, can't wait to race in Nurburgring for the 645378291st time in my life. At least GT has some fictional tracks to spice things up. Too bad the online focus ended up killing GTS for me.

Gaenor

Banned
i don't want them releasing games every other year like forza, it's a detriment. racers are very small incremental update titles anyway, so seeing a new one roll by every 2 years hurts them more than benefits them imo and i honestly see that sort of release shedule as the reason the racing genre is in decline, people just got sick of them. i mean, yes you get more of something you apparently enjoy, but franchise fatigue is a thing, look at AC and COD. i don't want GT to be that, i like that we've only had 6 mainline titles in the span of 20 years. as i said earlier, it makes it an event, not a boring expectation. sony can still announce GT titles at things like E3 with applause and surprise. is that true for forza in any way? not really.

Seems to me that you're more interested in how the game will sell, how many applauses it gets on trade shows and how of an "event" a GT game is, when in reality it will lack in content compared to its competitor and will probably not get as well-received. Not surprised though.

The reactions would be quite different (or more tamed at least) if people wouldn't have to wait years and years for a sequel that'll include the stuff they want. Heck, it might not even be on the PS4 !

bombshell

In this preview by Red Book they mention 145 test in the driving school.

They certainly heap praise on GT Sport

Thanks for linking, that was an enjoyable read. He certainly put high praise on what he played and they're a car enthusiast website or something, right?

His impressions of the music lol

Just mute it in the menus, unless you love wailing J-rock guitar riffs and schmaltzy ballads. Turns out the Polyphony Digital's music composition room doubles as a smoking room. It's possible they were inhaling some pretty powerful fumes in there.

KdotIX

Yay simulator galore, can't wait to race in Nurburgring for the 645378291st time in my life. At least GT has some fictional tracks to spice things up. Too bad the online focus ended up killing GTS for me.

Help me understand this post.

You're saying that other games with sizeable SP content will have you racing the same real world tracks over and over again, but also say that the online focus of GTS has killed your interest to race on their fictional tracks (which are better)?

You know, original GT Games of the past with SP content had you racing Trail Mountain, Apricot Hill and High Speed Ring for "645378291" times as well, right?

You do know that Forza has notable fictional tracks too, right?

Xater

So many lies in some of these posts. You can complain about the new direction SP campaign is going but saying its barebones is evidently false. There are hundreds of events and challenges.

Too bad all of that looks like shit I have no interest in doing. If I could have skipped the license tests in GT games I would have. Zero fun.

IISANDERII

That's my problem. I just don't enjoy playing online. This is the SFV situation all over, it really makes me genuinely sad, can't really see myself enjoy this game as it is, I just have to hope the response is as chilly as with SFV so they add a campaign mode later on. PD need to cater to their original fans too, and this isn't a prologue GT, they've had 4 years to work on this, after 4 years I think they could've found the time to add a campaign mode too. But I should've read up on the info I guess, I've been googling now and it's not really news, I've just not payed attention to PD's focus this time.
I'm an original fan and I feel very well catered to.

Anyone else finding the environments(not the cars) extremely dull and artificial? I cannot not compare this to games such as Forza or Driveclub and I think it doesn't look impressive at all....

KORNdoggy

goalposts.jpg

Fanboy tries to defend studio and fails. News at 11.

am i wrong? do devs not have a tendency to exaggerate on what their games offer, even down to how long they take to complete "oh, yeah, our game is about 12 hours long" *completes it in 6 hours*

PR wants to PR. it's not that surprising. they have a game that for the first time is lacking a sequential numbering. people are obviously asking questions. what better way to ease peoples minds than claim it's just GT7 with a different name. content and gameplay focus tells a different story though. it's a competitive motor racing online focused spin off.

magawolaz

Project Cars and Assetto Corsa are the farthest things from games with solid mechanics and content, like, ever.

Anyone else finding the environments(not the cars) extremely dull and artificial? I cannot not compare this to games such as Forza or Driveclub and I think it doesn't look impressive at all....

Looks fine to me, racing sims always have a certain look to the backgrounds, more natural / realistic, unlike something like DriveClub or Forza Horizon which are more stylised and can look better when compared directly.

I know the game focus on online races, but what's the structure for races? Do they set a timed racing events with determined course, time of day and car class like in Driveclub? So people just pick the online event they want and got match making to people in your class level?

Too bad all of that looks like shit I have no interest in doing. If I could have skipped the license tests in GT games I would have. Zero fun.

No one cares about your arbitrary standards. Those aren't just license tests either. There is a sufficient amount of SP content, just delivered in a different way. If you miss championships so much go play in arcade mode.

I know the game focus on online races, but what's the structure for races? Do they set a timed racing events with determined course, time of day and car class like in Driveclub? So people just pick the online event they want and got match making to people in your class level?

Iirc there is designated race events as well as open lobbies

bombshell

There's that which is what was tested in the beta and also normal public and private lobbies where you can set up online sessions of your preference.

Can you play those timed events, but with cpu ai? Seems very simple to implement, and if you can do that, that's basically infinite single player content for me.

Hmmm...I think a lot of crow will be eaten personally.

- Casual gamers make up the bulk of sales less critical
- Scapes has potential to be very popular
- If online is fun (no bumping, manners) replay value is high
- Graphically GTS is at the top of the genre again
- A SP teaching you to drive might bode well with casuals
- it's still a polished new Gran Turismo
- Sometime changes are received well

I'm not sure reviewers will be so critical of the change of direction. It is called GTSport lol. Racing online is kinda the campaign if I understand it right. You will have races for people with D-level driving skills, C, B, A, etc...you increase your skill, you qualify for more races. So much focus is placed on not bumping and crashing other cars, that if you play like that, you will be matched up with others who do the same. I dunno, I'm not a car enthusiast, but this just doesn't seem to be a bad change for me. Cautiously optimistic.

MaDKaT

No one cares about your arbitrary standards. Those aren't just license tests either. There is a sufficient amount of SP content, just delivered in a different way. If you miss championships so much go play in arcade mode.

The SP content is a glorified version of Prologue. Just license tests and missions. Easily the worst parts of GT.

Yjynx

Do some people here actually play the beta....? I know there were some vocal poster even on the beta thread and that's fine, criticism is absolutely normal. But some poster here seemingly never even play the game or even watch the video?

PS: Do people forgotten how GT5 getting burned for being called samey and boring? How the campaign called copy pasted? I don't see many people defended it much back then.....

Single player focused on teaching you how to play is a big appeal for me. I always want to play racing sim, but just so bad at it. I hope the learning curve is good and if they can make it so you can feel that youre getting better, than I'll be satisfied.

Top Bottom