• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Granblue Fantasy Project Re:Link announced - Action RPG, Platinum Games [UPDATE]

Mechazawa

SAO is on Crunchy, means it's officially licensed in the west. GBF isn't. Why would they release a spin off of a property that doesn't even really exist in the west? I mean, they did add english language the the client, but it's still only officially available in japan.

On the other hand, a large budget, console, action RPG developed by a company whose design ethos for the past decade has revolved around appealing to both japanese and western gamers, doesn't sound like the business decisions of people trying to double down on the japanese crowd.

salromano

How many games can they possibly work on at once!

Also I imagine this is the PS4 game they(Cygames) teased ages ago.

I wonder. They opened a studio in Osaka specifically for PS4 development. Platinum is also in Osaka though so it could very well be a collaborative effort between the Osaka studio and Platinum. Though it's kind of weird that they didn't mention the platform outright.

duckroll

Square Enix x Planinum Games = Akihiko Yoshida
Cygames x Platinum Games = Hideo Minaba

Wow. Who would have thought we would be seeing Platinum Games developing action RPGs by god-tier character designers instead of edgelords. :)

zeopower6

What is this? All I know is Rage of Bahamut, these are the same people right? That was a fun show

Big turn based mobile RPG in Japan with a loooot of fans. Getting an anime next year (from the studio that does SAO) with manga/light novel adaptations as well, I think.

Where is the platform confirmation?

I don't think there is any unless some other articles were put up. Apparently "building a PC to test the game" was mentioned.

Oregano

I wonder. They opened a studio in Osaka specifically for PS4 development. Platinum is also in Osaka though so it could very well be a collaborative effort between the Osaka studio and Platinum. Though it's kind of weird that they didn't mention the platform outright.

I think that's surprisingly common with JP announcements. Etrian Odyssey 5 was announced without a platform which caused all kinds of speculation but it still ended up being 3DS. I'm not sure any other platform would be up to the task looking at the graphics for this.

Granblue seems really popular. I've always assumed it was just a generic gatcha game? Why is it so popular?

1. In terms of production values, every character has at least two artworks (very good art I might add) and the music is also great. For example, some boss battles for events get a complete new track just for them.

2. Characters get a lot of flavour in the way of:

- Voice acting with high profile voice actors (this is actually a big reason why it's popular)
- Battle/Special attack dialouge
- Character quests that are fully voiced and quite long
- Events in which some random SSR characters can appear and do some fun things like trying to catch a giant fish!

It makes it so that even a bad SSR roll still has some value to it, and while there are other games like Chain Chronicle that also do those kind of things. I do feel that Granblue basically blows everything out of the water when it comes to this. Quite impressive since the cast is (mostly) completely original.

3. Good collabs with popular franchises. We've seen Street Fighter, Idolm@ster and Tales of... appear for example. All the events get a completely original story and you can get characters like Ryu to use in your team.

4. The gameplay-cycle goes on longer than your average Mobage. Even if you're fully dedicated, it will probably take at least half a year of playing before you're capped out. I don't think other mobage can really compete with that.

5. There are also some cool Granblue related things that happen outside of the game, Music singles sung by the characters and fun streams for example.

chrono01

Oh man, I'm so excited for this. Granblue Fantasy has some great characters and design. If it carries over into this, it would be a very...very good thing.

I know it's probably likely that this will get a release outside of Japan (eventually). I really hope it does, as I would be instantly on it.

salromano

I think that's surprisingly common with JP announcements. Etrian Odyssey 5 was announced without a platform which caused all kinds of speculation but it still ended up being 3DS. I'm not sure any other platform would be up to the task looking at the graphics for this.

I wouldn't say it's common. Etrian Odyssey V was a pretty rare case. Nothing else comes to mind that didn't get a platform announcement outright, other than 5pb.'s visual novels. I don't doubt it's a PlayStation 4 game. It'd just be nice if they said it from the get-go.

Came out of nowhere honestly. o_O

Must be one of their annual projects, after easing up on Activision's licensed deals (still expecting another Transformers game from the same team). This new approach of them allocating staff related to game design alone, while the IP owners have a say in direction/QA and sound, seems interesting. Must be some lucrative deals.

Also, Minaba & Uematsu are still with this franchise I see.

Moskalova

I wouldn't say it's common. Etrian Odyssey V was a pretty rare case. Nothing else comes to mind that didn't get a platform announcement outright, other than 5pb.'s visual novels. I don't doubt it's a PlayStation 4 game. It'd just be nice if they said it from the get-go.

Maybe Famitsu or Dengeki have exclusive interview with announcement of the platform :p

Oregano

*shrugs* I would say there's been other stuff but nothing comes to mind right now so you're possibly/probably right.

Came out of nowhere honestly. o_O

Must be one of their annual projects, after easing up on Activision's licensed deals (still expecting another Transformers game from the same team). This new approach of them allocating staff related to game design alone, while the IP owners have a say in direction/QA and sound, seems interesting. Must be some lucrative deals.

Also, Minaba & Uematsu are still with this franchise I see.

well minaba kind of works for cygames.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
i thought this was some dumb generic mobile game based on in game transactions that had a lot of fetishist illustrations for otaku to draw NSFW art about.

But it seems based on this trailer its gotten pretty huge and intricate!? And there's a story?? Might have to buy this game if its on PS4

Riposte

Time to start caring about this Granblue Fantasy thing people are always posting about on my twitter feed.

i thought this was some dumb generic mobile game based on in game transactions that had a lot of fetishist illustrations for otaku to draw NSFW art about.

But it seems based on this trailer its gotten pretty huge and intricate!? And there's a story?? Might have to buy this game if its on PS4

You make it sound like Fate/Stay.

demidar

Granblue is one of the bigger mobages destroying Japan =_=

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
You make it sound like Fate/Stay.

You mean Grand Order? :p That's not Fate Stay Night. That's FateXMobile, which is pretty different <3

Granblue is one of the bigger mobages destroying Japan =_=

I noticed, but i never paid any attention to it despite seeing it in various..places, because of the aforementioned assumptions

Some Nobody

Could be NX.

Fixed. The trailer literally shows combat--how's mobile even running something like this without exploding.

Seriously though, PS4? Might not be a bad bet.

Looks good. I want to say I need to see some cities or something before I got overly invested but right now I really, really want this game.

Jay Sosa

Oh man.

Oh man oh man oh man. Looks right up my alley. And coming from platinum games combat should be excellent.

could 2017 finally be the year of the JRPG? With Persona 5 and this it just might be.

muahaha

Could be NX.

Did you even watch the trailer? No way the NX will be able to pull this off.

muahaha²

Woot, a fully realized Granblue JRPG? I'm so in!

Kataline seems like the main character in the game? She's kinda badass though.

ggx2ac

Just saw footage of the mobile game. Okay, it's as someone described earlier for a turn-based RPG game.

This will be action though and depending on the platforms it's releasing, it could be a million seller for Platinum Games.

This is just going off of other mobile to game console releases like Puzzle and Dragons Z and Monster Strike for 3DS.

Shirke

This certainly came out of nowhere, but not unwelcome. I got hooked on Granblue when the english patch came out a few months ago, and I'm looking forward to what exactly this game is. The combat animations look nice and I hope that Platinum games can at least bring out their Transformers Devastation level effort and make this a nice game. Plus Catalina, Io, Percival and Ferry look fun to play, and I hope that they can include all the story characters along with all the other characters that dominate the popularity polls.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member
for anyone interested in the Grandblue mobile game now...

it's in english. you can download it for example from the japanese apple store and play in english

Oregano

Just saw footage of the mobile game. Okay, it's as someone described earlier for a turn-based RPG game.

This will be action though and depending on the platforms it's releasing, it could be a million seller for Platinum Games.

This is just going off of other mobile to game console releases like Puzzle and Dragons Z and Monster Strike for 3DS.

It's definitely not a 3DS game so that would be really difficult at best.

Top Bottom