• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto IV thread of hype and stray bullets

Status
Not open for further replies.

andthebeatgoeson

Scopebob Sniperpants said:
IMHO, the packages are one of the most annoyingly difficult things to collect. I'd rather have them missing in the next installment of GTA.

For one, these "packages" are an increasing trend among game developers and are a definitive sign of lazy game design. It's a poor attempt at increasing the "gameplay" hours and doesn't add a significant amount of actual "gameplay". I understand that many people can validate this game mechanic as an "exploration reward system", yet that's just ignorant. How many games utilize this "FIND ALL THE x AND GET ACHIEVEMENT POINTS!"?
- Jak & Daxter games, Crackdown, Halo3, (seriously, lets get a running count. How many am I missing?)

It's bullshit.

I absolutely hate having to go online to find a map/guide to get the last 5 or 6 packages that I couldn't find.

If Rockstar was to make it a challange, then I'd be interested. As if, in order for me to collect a package, I had to take out someone specific and steal the package. They could have placed just 25-50 packages around the city and that would be equal to the 500 you have to collect in Crackdown. You assassinate the person, you pick up the package. That's it. No more of this insanity. "Let me climb onto a rooftop and then fall onto an air vent to get a package" bullshit.
I agree. It was fine in 3 and VC since you got so many cool weapons at your base but it's annoying now. The game doesn't need anything else to push your total time above 100 hours. Give us an in-game way of tracking them. Make it so you have to shoot somebody to get them. But I hate tracking them with GameFAQs. Yeah, you don't need them but some missions become 10x easier if you have the right weapon.

Overall, I feel like GTAIII had the right amount of extras. San Andreas was just massive and highlighted a good portion of gameplay that Rockstar won't get right. The controls on various vehicles is just broken but they highlight them in different ways (motorcycle stunt school, flight school and insane jumps). Yeah, nothing you have to play but they could reign some of this stuff in.

Now, when we get this bloated monster that was delayed for 6 months to pack more stuff in that doesn't really enhance the game and just highlights Rockstar's inadequacys (why the fuck did I have to hear my stomach rumble every 20 minutes in SA?), you have to wonder is it worth it for all this extra crap? Do we need randomly placed packages all over the city? More importantly, is there a better way about doing all of this? At the end of the day, I kinda like all the extra stuff. But when it becomes more of a hassle and hasn't changed in 10 years over 6 different iterations of GTA, I wonder WTF are they doing? Trying to move the game forward or just holding on for dear life on the precious tit of GTA?

kylej

Banned
skinnyrattler said:
Now, when we get this bloated monster that was delayed for 6 months to pack more stuff in that doesn't really enhance the game and just highlights Rockstar's inadequacys (why the fuck did I have to hear my stomach rumble every 20 minutes in SA?), you have to wonder is it worth it for all this extra crap?

huh? GTA IV was delayed due to technical problems.

BlueTsunami

there is joy in sucking dick
I actually like hunting for packages. If anything, make the prizes you get for finding them unique....like AGILITY ORBS

kylej said:
huh? GTA IV was delayed due to technical problems.

I dont doubt that GTA IV needed more work but in the back of my mind I have always felt a big part of the decision was to wait for a larger PS3 userbase.

I just wanted to say that this game is holy shit wow amazing goddamn space ace neutron omega holy shit wow i can't fucking fathom half the fucking shit that's already been unveiled and thats with taking a rather healthy I understand that in game said feature will more or less be completely underhwelming but still hot damn holy shit wow. I mean, seriously.

BakedPigeon said:
I dont doubt that GTA IV needed more work but in the back of my mind I have always felt a big part of the decision was to wait for a larger PS3 userbase.

I really doubt that would be a serious consideration in deciding the release date. I have no idea what the sales figures are, but how much (approximately) will the PS3's install base increased by between October and the end of April?

MaizeRage25 said:
I really doubt that would be a serious consideration in deciding the release date. I have no idea what the sales figures are, but how much (approximately) will the PS3's install base increased by between October and the end of April?

I also doubt that was the deliberate reason but I guarantee it may have has some influence.

There has been roughly 1.3 million PS3's sold in the US since october till now. Plus the 360's userbase has expanded greatly. Rockstar is going to rake in a lot of money come april 29th.....

Rockstar doesn't bank on initial sales alone. The idea that the PS3 version is going to sell more in April/May than the >1m it would have for the holiday if the game was release at the original date is absurd. Nobody delays past Christmas unless it's a necessity, marketing strategies be damned.

IMHO, the packages are one of the most annoyingly difficult things to collect. I'd rather have them missing in the next installment of GTA.

For one, these "packages" are an increasing trend among game developers and are a definitive sign of lazy game design. It's a poor attempt at increasing the "gameplay" hours and doesn't add a significant amount of actual "gameplay". I understand that many people can validate this game mechanic as an "exploration reward system", yet that's just ignorant. How many games utilize this "FIND ALL THE x AND GET ACHIEVEMENT POINTS!"?
- Jak & Daxter games, Crackdown, Halo3, (seriously, lets get a running count. How many am I missing?)

It's bullshit.
Dude. There was hundreds of hours of gameplay without the packages. Don't look for them if you don't like them.

Himuro said:
Rockstar said they were going to reveal only a very small percent of the game's features too. :)

Here's hoping for some kind of free roaming co-op like Crackdown. Oh man, just thinking about it gives me goosebumps.

speculawyer said:
Dude. There was hundreds of hours of gameplay without the packages. Don't look for them if you don't like them.

The problem with GTA4's potential package system is that they are going to influence the achievement points ranking, and most likely the 100% completion stat. So if I don't complete them, I'm missing out on god knows how many achievement points. They add nothing to game and become nothing more then a chore. Btw, I had a Big Labowski flashback when you called me dude.

Grimm, I never played crackdown multiplayer. How is it? Feel like giving it another go tonight?

Grimm, I never played crackdown multiplayer. How is it? Feel like giving it another go tonight?

Sorry, tonight isn't good as I'm going to bed in a bit. I'll be up for some tomorrow if you want. My GT is "GrimmJob".

dejay

Banned
Packages were cool in III and a not bad in VC, but the insane amount you had to collect in SA was ridiculous, particularly considering the little reward you got for them.

HolyStar said:
Dude, that game had so many unfinished promises it wasn't even funny.

Part of my reasons why I dislike the game so much. I mean, I played it a lot but I have this eternal disappointment in it.

dejay said:
Packages were cool in III and a not bad in VC, but the insane amount you had to collect in SA was ridiculous, particularly considering the little reward you got for them.

thank the lord, that IV only has one city.

HolyStar

Banned
Madman said:
If a game is a guarenteed or near guarenteed hit, a demo can potentially hurt sales of the game.

Please tell me how? I here people say shit like this all the time, but they never explain why.

Madman

HolyStar said:
Please tell me how? I here people say shit like this all the time, but they never explain why.
The game might not live up to people's expectations, or people may just play the demo over and over instead of buying the game(such as people that casually play and don't care about a full game).

Odrion

Banned
Did I just read that people are wanting the hidden packages to be removed from the GTA series?

Well, you're wrong, idiots.

newsguy

I relate a package in the GTA universe to the clap. You find it when you least expect it, but you're NEVER looking for it.

Core407

Banned
blindrocket said:
I thought that hunting for Nirnroot in Oblivion was fun. But packages in GTA is not as fun, for some reason.

Because Ninroots had known locations. Mainly you wound find them around the shores of rivers, streams, etc. Also - for me, I would find ninroot as a secondary type of thing, going place to place - doing missions and if I ran into a ninroot, I'd just pick it up. I need to pick up Oblivion for the PS3 and put in 100 more hours. I have no doubts it is still as accessible as before. Going around and picking flowers was just so relaxing. Awesome game!

gray_fox224

This makes me shake my head.

Gamestop's GTA IV blurb said:
Welcome to the land of opportunity. As Russian immigrant Niko Bellic, you've come to America seeking the good life. After learning the Liberty City GameStop is not hiring, you decide the quickest way to the good life involves some of those "questionable" methods that have made the Grand Theft Auto franchise famous.

Odrion said:
Did I just read that people are wanting the hidden packages to be removed from the GTA series?

Well, you're wrong, idiots.

As long as the packages are like 3 and VC where you get rewards as you collect, they're great. If they're like in SA where you don't get anything until you collect every one, they're worthless shit designed to sell strategy guides and Rockstar might as well not even bother.

Edit: wow, I just read the rest of the page. Idiots is right. Wah wah I hate collecting packages but I can't get 100% without them! I find it hard to care when developers don't cater to your OCD.

Teknoman

BobJustBob said:
As long as the packages are like 3 and VC where you get rewards as you collect, they're great. If they're like in SA where you don't get anything until you collect every one, they're worthless shit designed to sell strategy guides and Rockstar might as well not even bother.

Edit: wow, I just read the rest of the page. Idiots is right. Wah wah I hate collecting packages but I can't get 100% without them! I find it hard to care when developers don't cater to your OCD.

I'm siding with the collect stuff = unlock stuff to use during the game. I really dont like collecting things just for completion sake. If they're gonna make you go out of your way to find obscure hidden objects, at least give something for each incremental amount.

kylej

Banned
:D

505293907_gta_iv.jpg

158833908_gta_iv.jpg

4468632519780.jpg

the new Comet (red car on the left) is so hot.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Stabby McSter said:
hoooollyyyy shiiitttt where are those from

Best Buy.

Typically, Rockstar gives retailers exclusive media. Lots of GTA fans are refreshing retail sites like mad right now.

ZeroTolerance said:
Holy fuck...man..that looks sick...whoa....

Can anyone confirm/debunk this piece of news floating on the net ?

GTA IV: Exclusive DLC only contains additional missions + the PS3 version and the 360 version look the same

I just can't seem to make sense out of it after reading it with the source been French and all..or whatever the hell it is.

looking the same is subjective though....hell Assassin's Creed looks the same on 360 and PS3 for the most part....they sure as hell don't run the same though

and for the most part that article is just referencing what other outlets have stated anyways

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom