• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Grand Theft Auto: Online |OT2| Life's A Beach

Tigress

Yuuuup. I'm never in public lobbies. I wanna cruise around and do my own fuckery, and if the GAF crew sends an invite I'm all game

Heh, I think I wouldn't mind playing in a lobby full of people like you. I don't mind other people in my lobby, but I wanna do my own thing and not feel pressured to do other stuff (in random lobbies even if some one appears to be friendly I always feel like if I don't get in the car or do what they want me to they'll just decide to shoot me anyways). But be neat to come across other people. Maybe even help them with whatever chaos they are trying to concoct (first time I was in GTA I thought I was going to help this guy get away from the cops, I was all prepared to start trying to get in their way and he decided it would be fun to start shooting me instead.. *sigh*).

Really, all I want is to cause chaos and help people cause chaos. I rarely want to cause chaos against people (can't we all just get aloooong? *whine* Well as long as you are a player and not an NPC *evilgrin*).

Forgive me crew...for I have been very spotty with my attendance here and in game as of late...do not mutiny PS3GTAGaf!

Life! It's a cruel thing. Been clearing outt the backlog, to make room for the upcoming release. That's when I have some free time to game. I'm logging on here and there to earn a little cash, and to prevent the dreaded stat droppage, but I really want to clear everything so I can really focus on GTA.

I miss Los Santos, and crewing it up ;_;

Staying topical...30 player lobbies will be buh-NANAS. Will be extremely chaotic. I am very excited to see the UI changes, and all the other very minor upgrades that might not get formally recognized, but will be able to be seen for those eagle eye players. For some reason, I am slightly hoping for a PS Companion app where cell phones/tablets become the in game phone. It'd likely take longer than actually "whipping it out" in game, but still...the little things!

On a side note, the iFruit for the Vita was updated the other day, still not super functional imo..

waypoetic

Banned
I haven't seen the "crew" online for a long time. Come november 18 and i'll be saying sayonara to the PS3 version and hellooooo mama to the PS4 version.

I haven't played this game in many, many months and am planning on playing it on the PS4 with a buddy of mine come November. Thing is, I remember us being constantly bullied by high-level players with rocket launchers. Should I expect a similar experience next month or has that stuff changed in any way through patching or something? I loved playing GTA V online but my friend got pretty pissed at times and I'm hoping Rockstar have somehow balanced things out a bit.

Tigress

I haven't played this game in many, many months and am planning on playing it on the PS4 with a buddy of mine come November. Thing is, I remember us being constantly bullied by high-level players with rocket launchers. Should I expect a similar experience next month or has that stuff changed in any way through patching or something? I loved playing GTA V online but my friend got pretty pissed at times and I'm hoping Rockstar have somehow balanced things out a bit.

Find players you like who don't do that. Do invite only servers. Join the GAF crew (I'll vouch for them).

Hey, if you like to do chaos with other players rather than against, I'd love to play with you (so here's one player that you might like playing with). Though I'm also waiting to play it on the PS4 (so it's fresh again).

And no, Rockstar really hasn't done anything to balance it out. Hell... I just wish they'd do a friendly server.

Future

Haha why don't people like the fear of the open world and who may or may not kill you. I personally liked the constant deathmatch idea. Some of the most fun moments to me was trying to make it home alive after Robbin shit..... Until of course I realized I can deposit shit from my phone. I actually wish they gave incentive to cause and stay safe from open world chaos.

Amazing this thread is still alive. Besides number of players does anyone think they will address any of the larger issues. I mean I haven't played since last year, but I remember crappy matchmaking, slow joining of games, getting booted and auto loading single player, etc. I'll be buying regardless but I'm curious if I should be hyped at all. I assume the heists are still a dream

Find players you like who don't do that. Do invite only servers. Join the GAF crew (I'll vouch for them).

Hey, if you like to do chaos with other players rather than against, I'd love to play with you (so here's one player that you might like playing with). Though I'm also waiting to play it on the PS4 (so it's fresh again).

And no, Rockstar really hasn't done anything to balance it out. Hell... I just wish they'd do a friendly server.

Sounds like a plan as I do prefer PvE in this game. My PSN ID is LARRY_SANDERS.

Haha why don't people like the fear of the open world and who may or may not kill you.

Because literally everyone I gave a chance to attacked me. Eventually you become the guy that attacks everyone as well, just to survive.

I know what you mean and I've enjoyed that feeling in other games, but I don't think it works very well in GTA V.

I guess I'd be satisfied if they just didn't force me to grind for the most basic weapons. It feels silly to not be able to buy weapons you earned enough money to buy.

Future

Because literally everyone I gave a chance to attacked me. Eventually you become the guy that attacks everyone as well, just to survive.

I know what you mean and I've enjoyed that feeling in other games, but I don't think it works very well in GTA V.

I guess I'd be satisfied if they just didn't force me to grind for the most basic weapons. It feels silly to not be able to buy weapons you earned enough money to buy.

Yeah everyone is gonna shoot you. I don't know. That lawlessness made the open world interesting to me. Especially since you don't have to be in there much (which is what I want them to fix)

I'd love some destiny style public events that can make players auto join teams and then be against the rest of the players to complete tasks. Then when the task is done, have a timer where the team effect is about to wear off and then everyone is trying to escape before getting double crossed.

Tigress

Haha why don't people like the fear of the open world and who may or may not kill you.=

Pretty much this. It's not who "may or may not kill you". It's, oh, look some one else who is going to shoot at you. Hell, I kinda used that for my own amusement once by getting a tank and rolling around and not shooting people just to get their reactions.

But you are guaranteed if you try to be helpful to some one they are just going to shoot you in your face. you see some one, better run or shoot them first.

If it was actually random and you had some people who were helpful and some not, that would be one thing and interesting. But that's not how it works in GTA. It's more like almost everyone is going to shoot you and maybe one person is helpful but usually by the time you find them you never find that out cause you're too busy shooting them first before they shoot you.

It's also why I'm sad to hear stories of DayZ cause it sounds like it is pretty much the same way (and I'd love a game where some people were helpful, some not, post apocalypse survival and you had to figure out who was who. But it sounds like DayZ has the same issue, you are gaurenteed people are there to shoot you or force you to do funny things before they shoot you).

Cool. I'll add you and message you who I am (it probably will be obvious from the PSN name ;) ).

^yeah it's the difference between liking the opportunity or freedom that people may attack you versus the certainty that they will

MMORPGs that have open world PvP are a good example of this. It's awesome where you have one where you can attack, kill, and loot people anywhere, but often people don't do this because of the community, the risk and reward, and in general the sense that sometimes it's better to do other things with the people you meet than to just gank them.

But in GTA V, it's mostly just pointless ganking :p

I'd love to see future iterations of GTAO for perhaps GTA VI where perhaps the world is even more like a MMO, more persistant, more risk and reward, more community and socializing, other activities to engage with people... where when you meet a new person, you're just as likely to go to a club, steal cars, manage a business, go boating, etc as just get ganked. I think the game needs a bigger map, no players showing up on radar, no world chat, and no game modes where you leave the open world -- those sort of things are why the general open world turns into a gankfest.

Either way it's still fun. But I think I can relate to what you're saying.

Wolfe

I feel you guys, don't get me wrong I love the occasional shooty bang bang as much as the next person but overall that's not the main reason I'm playing GTAO. I mean just today I jumped into the game and was speeding down to the merryweather dock but on the main road in my lane was another player. I wasn't interested in getting into a gun fight at the time so I attempted to blast by him only he managed to knick my car with his and spin me out at high speed. Since I wasn't interested in him I righted myself and continued on my way but I guess his PVP boner had already been popped so he chased after me. I got to the dock and saw that a buzzard was spawned so I hopped in and started it up, unfortunately the other dude was close enough behind me that he pulled up before I was able to lift off (and I could already see his arm sticking out of the window with a sticky bomb at the ready). Turns out he was so hard up to kill me that he pulled right up to the chopper and then proceeded to blow it (me) and himself up all at the same time.

When we respawned I blasted him in the face and waited for him to respawn again so I could kill him some more for extra payback but instead he left the lobby (wut?). Even though I keep coming back to public lobbies because I enjoy playing the game with other people (even if I'm not interacting with them directly most of the time), it does get tiring that 95% of the people I run into just wanna have a bullet fight.

Makes open world WoW PVP feel like a PVE server in comparison.

Yeah everyone is gonna shoot you. I don't know. That lawlessness made the open world interesting to me. Especially since you don't have to be in there much (which is what I want them to fix)

I'd love some destiny style public events that can make players auto join teams and then be against the rest of the players to complete tasks. Then when the task is done, have a timer where the team effect is about to wear off and then everyone is trying to escape before getting double crossed.

This is almost exactly how jobs were described with the previews of GTA Online in 2013. Almost every preview described the job where you needed to steal the jumbo jet from the hanger and fly it to safety. Rockstar clearly staged the job for whoever played it to make it seem much better than it was, because the way it was described was having some people arrive by chopper, others by car, and one by bike... Pulling up and working as a team to dispatch the enemies. There was also a hint that real humans would be on the other team, trying to protect the giant jet. And then, the jet is stolen, a gun fight ensues again at the landing strip, the reward is paid out, and then teammates flea for fear that they might get double-crossed by their former friends.

This, of course, never really happened. It was all staged by Rockstar for the preview or imaginatively dramatized by the reviewer.

Yeah, the way it was marketed was certainly not how it turned out and misleading with that stuff. Of course I foolishly expected most if not all of the jobs to take place in the actual "lobby" and not some closed off, instance version of the world that's dead beside the people who joined.

Wolfe

Yeah, the way it was marketed was certainly not how it turned out and misleading with that stuff. Of course I foolishly expected most if not all of the jobs to take place in the actual "lobby" and not some closed off, instance version of the world that's dead beside the people who joined.

It would be like if all of the quests in WoW were instanced along with the dungeons, granted the comparison is a bit off given the size of the game world and the fact that it's a FFA in GTA as opposed to two distinct factions. But still, would have been nice if the jobs were somehow incorporated into the public lobbies themselves.

It would be like if all of the quests in WoW were instanced along with the dungeons, granted the comparison is a bit off given the size of the game world and the fact that it's a FFA in GTA as opposed to two distinct factions. But still, would have been nice if the jobs were somehow incorporated into the public lobbies themselves.

Pretty much what I was getting at but I didn't want to invoke WoW since GTAO isn't on that scale but I it would've been better along with loose crook and cop sides to play. Griefers be damned. I was hoping for some sort of story too but it's all kind of aimless.

bud23

San Andreas Anniversary Weekend in GTA Online: Bonus RP + Featured Playlist Unlocks Throwback SA Radio Tees and More

EXCLUSIVE SAN ANDREAS RADIO STATION T-SHIRTS

Look to the skies all weekend for Crate Drops containing exclusive retro t-shirts of four classic radio stations from a time when FM was king. These tees will be up for grabs in Freemode sessions, along with an accompanying trove of weaponry and GTA$ in each Crate.

* Bounce FM
* K-DST
* K-JAH
* K-Rose

And for those who'd like to recapture that 90's west coast radio vibe, check out our compilations of these and other San Andreas radio stations (as well as other titles in the Grand Theft Auto legacy) available via Spotify and iTunes.
actual_1414073750.jpg

DOUBLE GTA$ AND RP FOR PLAYING THE SAN ANDREAS THROWBACK JOBS PLAYLIST
This weekend only, playing the "San Andreas Throwback Jobs" Featured Playlist will grant you Double RP and Double GTA$, regardless of whether you win or lose. To take advantage, simply launch GTAV and hit the "Featured Playlist" button on the launch screens, or access it via the "Playlists" section of the GTA Online Start Menu.
Hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng. I want them all!!

And more here

http://www.rockstargames.com/newswi...as-anniversary-weekend-in-gta-online-bonus-rp

I'd rather have the radio stations.
This.

But really, I'd rather have remastered GTA:SA on PS3. Or even smarter, Vita, because it's pretty much already done, with nop physical buttons even.

Sigh, pipe dreams. I'd even take the classic GTA games, it's crazy they are available on the JP PSN store, but they are not on EU or US PSN. Bullsnot.

Still, this weekend seems cool, I know I'll fire it up for a chance to win them shirts.

Mastah

2 crates and 2 Bounce FM shirts... Hopefully now with third I'll get something different.

edit: Nope, another Bounce FM top. Really Rockstar, really?

Ted

Got a couple of GT6 club races lined up over the weekend but if anyone from GAF is on I'll jump in when I'm done.

See y'all in LS.

Wolfe

2 crates and 2 Bounce FM shirts... Hopefully now with third I'll get something different.

edit: Nope, another Bounce FM top. Really Rockstar, really?

I wonder if the exploit/workaround that I was able to use for the beer hats would work for these shirts as well. Had to resort to that after getting so many dupes at the time, don't know why they don't have it set up so that you can't get dupes until you've gotten one of each.

I managed to snag a special crate about an hour ago and got the KDST shirt myself.

Edit: just got my second special crate, no t-shirt... awesome :p

Ted

They may be synchronised so every crate dropped across many lobbies is the same at any given time.

Jason, Razakin and I were in the same lobby last night and it did that freeze thing where suddenly you're in a lobby on your own. It happened to all three of us in rapid succession after initial notification of the crate but before it appeared on the map. We all stayed in our separate lobbies and each got a special crate and all contained the same item.

This could have just been that were still technically in the 'same' lobby though.

0_0.jpg

On an unrelated note there was some annoying guy in an armoured truck which just couldn't be destroyed. Is this a known glitch/mod menu function?

I put on five stickies at one time and no damage so I peppered him with rockets, 'nades and mini-gun fire but nothing led to successfully blowing up his truck. Even well placed headshots through the windscreen had no apparent effect...

Razakin

On an unrelated note there was some annoying guy in an armoured truck which just couldn't be destroyed. Is this a known glitch/mod menu function?

I put on five stickies at one time and no damage so I peppered him with rockets, 'nades and mini-gun fire but nothing led to successfully blowing up his truck. Even well placed headshots through the windscreen had no apparent effect...
Yeah, that guy was annoying, but oddly at same time you couldn't shoot me or kill me and vice versa when we tried to get that bounty off my head. Wonder if there was some modding/'hacking' going on or was it just the gang attack doing it so?

I kinda wish that Rockstar would put up those event only clothes and masks for sale, so annoying to miss on them if I'm not around to play the game.

Tigress

Yeah, that guy was annoying, but oddly at same time you couldn't shoot me or kill me and vice versa when we tried to get that bounty off my head. Wonder if there was some modding/'hacking' going on or was it just the gang attack doing it so?

I kinda wish that Rockstar would put up those event only clothes and masks for sale, so annoying to miss on them if I'm not around to play the game.

Yeah. I decided not to bother this time. I wasn't that in love with them and it's not worth sitting around hoping a special crate drops. At least I got my beer hat.

Wolfe

They may be synchronised so every crate dropped across many lobbies is the same at any given time.

Jason, Razakin and I were in the same lobby last night and it did that freeze thing where suddenly you're in a lobby on your own. It happened to all three of us in rapid succession after initial notification of the crate but before it appeared on the map. We all stayed in our separate lobbies and each got a special crate and all contained the same item.

This could have just been that were still technically in the 'same' lobby though.

No idea, I ended up getting 2 more special crates before I turned the game off and the third one had no shirt again but then the fourth had a shirt. None of those lobbies had any issues at the time as far as I was aware.

Edit: also my apologies for missing the game invite from Jason as I have my notifications turned off so half the time I don't notice new msgs until the next time I turn the system back on. I've been checking for them occasionally since that happened so that I don't miss it next time.

Yeah. I decided not to bother this time. I wasn't that in love with them and it's not worth sitting around hoping a special crate drops. At least I got my beer hat.

Rockstar seems to have gotten their spawns fixed up this time as every new lobby I entered had a special crate drop happen within so much time. Each time the crate dropped rather quickly after the green circle appeared but unfortunately more people seem to be going after them now so there's usually at least one other person chasing them down as well.

Out of the 5 special crates I saw drop I was able to snag 4 of them though, the fifth one being way too far up the map while someone else was already halfway there and in a helicopter so I had no chance.

On an unrelated note I kind of hate that I end up defaulting to voice chat on crew+friends only while in public lobbies. I prefer being able to hear what people are saying except that 95% of the time it ends up being people being completely obnoxious or groups of people verbally attacking each other while trying to sound "tough" in a video game. Rather irritating.

Wolfe

Well I managed to get maybe 8 special crates but between duplicate shirts and crates that didn't give me a shirt at all I only ended up with 3 of the 4 shirts.

I stopped caring about shirts with the event before this one, I'm never going to wear them anyway. I should've got on more for this one but the one time I was on and tried to do the playlist I didn't get into a group of others who were doing it and besides that it took several attempts to even get it to load.

Wolfe

I like two of the shirts that were available, sure overall most of the stuff I won't use but it's nice being able to at least have access to them given the limited availability. Of course this means the one I didn't get is one of the ones I wanted lol, oh well. I'm currently wearing the other one :p

Ted

I think this is worth further investigation as I'm pretty sure he could shoot me even within the Gang Attack boundaries whereas though I could aim at you I could not shoot.

Maybe something to do with the attack priority setting and how this operates in co-op situation?

bud23

[10/29/14] 2:00 PM - 9:00 PM ET / 6:00 PM - 1:00 AM GMT: Social Club / Rockstar Cloud Service Maintenance

In preparation for the November 18, 2014 launch of GTAV on PS4 and Xbox One, we will be performing maintenance on Wednesday, October 29, starting at 2:00 PM ET and lasting approximately 7 hours. The Social Club website and certain online features across most Rockstar games, including Grand Theft Auto Online, will be unavailable. Rockstargames.com and rockstargames.com/support will remain up. Please stay tuned to this page, which will be updated when the maintenance is finished. Apologies in advance for any inconvenience.

Halloween DLC?

Halloween DLC?
I really hope so.

Rockstar Game did a Black Friday sale event in November.
Holiday Gifts update in December.
Valentine’s Day Massacre Special update and event in February.
Independence Day Special update and event in July.

Why would they skip Heists Halloween?

#COBOKBYE

Neo Member
I don't get the complaints about the public lobbies. I want to see the carnage and chaos, but I don't want anyone getting in the way of me? Go in passive mode then. Or make a private lobby. Otherwise, be prepared to get got.

Wolfe

I don't get the complaints about the public lobbies. I want to see the carnage and chaos, but I don't want anyone getting in the way of me? Go in passive mode then. Or make a private lobby. Otherwise, be prepared to get got.

So no one is allowed to play online with strangers unless they want to partake in free roam death matches at all times?

Seems like a boring box to shove the whole of GTAO free roam into.

#COBOKBYE

Neo Member
So no one is allowed to play online with strangers unless they want to partake in free roam death matches at all times?

Seems like a boring box to shove the whole of GTAO free roam into.

No, but why not invite someone over to a private lobby. I go on doing my own thing, and if someone starts a war, then a war they'll get. If I don't feel like going at it, then I'll go passive, invite into a private lobby, run missions or just quit.

Only thing I remember from Halloween last year was finding the pumpkin patch in the north and teying furiously to stomp and kick them.

Edit:
I swear there was a pumpkin patch there...perhaps elsewhere on the property.
uKCvhi0.jpg

Top Bottom