• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

GymWolf

you and me both. I had an ox spawn in front of me in Dragons Dogma 2 last night. i couldnt move. i thought the game was glitched at first. then i stepped back and realized i was inside an invisible oxcart lol.

Btw, i saw a seagul spawn in front of me in horizon FW last night. literally in front me. So this is an issue other games suffer from.

It all just makes me appreciate Spiderman 2 more. Their NPC variety is off the charts and not only are there a lot of them but they also have probably the most dense traffic system in a game outside of the Matrix demo.

Just look at those NPCs in the distance. It would be hilarious if Spiderman 2 ages better than Horizon 2 after all the shit we gave it. FF16 already has.

JWIiy8B.gif

P.S i think starfield, Dragons Dogma 2 and star wars all have NPCs you can interact with. I wonder if thats the reason why they are so heavy on the CPU.
You know that i'm never gonna praise Set dressing npcs that you can barely interact with.

Npcs inside villages in horizon have the same problem, they look grat from afar, you have a lot of models doing different things and shit and if i don't praise them, i'm not gonna praise sp2 npcs neither.

If gta6 manage to do what the trailer show, the npcs in sp2 are gonna look even less impressive, because not only the variety absolutely smash what you see in sp2, but the interaction are gonna be light years better.

So again what sp2 does is unimpressive as fuck, gta6 run on a ps5, not on a ps8, let's not even talk about all the other interactions that gta6 has that sp2 miss between cars, animals etc.

Even watch dogs2 smash sp2 in terms of npcs quality and what you do with them, hell all the latest ac games have better ncps interaction and simulation than sp2.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
You know that i'm never gonna praise Set dressing npcs that you can barely interact with.

Npcs inside villages in horizon have the same problem, they look grat from afar, you have a lot of models doing different things and shit and if i don't praise them, i'm not gonna praise sp2 npcs neither.

If gta6 manage to do what the trailer show, the npcs in sp2 are gonna look even less impressive, because not only the variety absolutely smash what you see in sp2, but the interaction are gonna be light years better.

So again what sp2 does is unimpressive as fuck, gta6 run on a ps5, not on a ps8, let's not even talk about all the other interactions that gta6 has that sp2 miss between cars, animals etc.

Even watch dogs2 smash sp2 in terms of npcs quality and what you do with them, hell all the latest ac games have better ncps interaction and simulation than sp2.
i wish there was more interaction with them, especially Infamous 2 where they could get sucked into your tornadoes. it was hilarious and spiderman 2 shouldve had something like that to give the open world a more interactive feel to it. But i suspect Marvel probably didnt want any civilian deaths in the game. but in terms of set dressing, its as good as they come. E

I think Infamous did it better than Watch Dogs, GTA5, RDR2 combined. i thought RDR2 was kinda disappointing because everyone carried a gun and as soon as you killed someone, the entire town turned against you like Skyrim.

We can compare GTA6 to Spiderman 2 when it comes out. Right now all we have seen is set dressing.

Last edited:

GymWolf

i wish there was more interaction with them, especially Infamous 2 where they could get sucked into your tornadoes. it was hilarious and spiderman 2 shouldve had something like that to give the open world a more interactive feel to it. But i suspect Marvel probably didnt want any civilian deaths in the game. but in terms of set dressing, its as good as they come. E

I think Infamous did it better than Watch Dogs, GTA5, RDR2 combined. i thought RDR2 was kinda disappointing because everyone carried a gun and as soon as you killed someone, the entire town turned against you like Skyrim.

We can compare GTA6 to Spiderman 2 when it comes out. Right now all we have seen is set dressing.
Nani thefuck what? You don't need to see anything else to know that gta is not about set dressing, you can pick a car and run over all the people on the beach, you pick a gun and cause chaos inside that nightclub, you can pick a rocket launcher and destroy all the cars in a street, you don't need to play the game to know that all of that is gonna be possible, so yeah, sp2 and gta6 run on the the same hardware but one has ps2 npcs tech, the other at the very, very worse is gonna have gta5\rdr2 level of interactions but with mindblowing npcs variety, unparalleled care for microdetails and first class animations.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Nani thefuck what? You don't need to see anything else to know that gta is not about set dressing, you can pick a car and run over all the people on the beach, you pick a gun and cause chaos inside that nightclub, you can pick a rocket launcher and destroy all the cars in a street, you don't need to play the game to know that all of that is gonna be possible, so yeah, sp2 and gta6 run on the the same hardware but one has ps2 npcs tech, the other at the very, very worse is gonna have gta5\rdr2 level of interactions but with mindblowing npcs variety, unparalleled care for microdetails and first class animations.
Of course, that was in GTA3. If you are happy with basic running over people and shooting at them until they die great.

GymWolf

Of course, that was in GTA3. If you are happy with basic running over people and shooting at them until they die great.
No no no, you don't get to use my tactic after telling me that i can't, gta3 didn't had the fidelity, physics, animations, scope adn many other things that gta6 has, so it's not the same thing.

Also, what do you expect people should do when a crazy dude start running over people or shooting in a club? Stopping you to ask if your driving license is updated? At best they can make all the animations, directions changes, interactions with thh ground or obstacles or other npcs more precise to make it look more realistic, rdr2 was already more believable than gta5 and i have no doubt that gta6 is gonna be even better but still not perfect.

It is still way more that sp2 does, and you have to calculate hit reactions, ragdoll, gore etc, car deformations, explosions, it's not only much more advanced but also heavier to run, sp2 npcs just crouch and scream and maybe run a couple of meters (not even sire about that) and the cars do fucking nothing, they are super basic.

Last edited:

IDWhite

you and me both. I had an ox spawn in front of me in Dragons Dogma 2 last night. i couldnt move. i thought the game was glitched at first. then i stepped back and realized i was inside an invisible oxcart lol.

Btw, i saw a seagul spawn in front of me in horizon FW last night. literally in front me. So this is an issue other games suffer from.

It all just makes me appreciate Spiderman 2 more. Their NPC variety is off the charts and not only are there a lot of them but they also have probably the most dense traffic system in a game outside of the Matrix demo.

Just look at those NPCs in the distance. It would be hilarious if Spiderman 2 ages better than Horizon 2 after all the shit we gave it. FF16 already has.

JWIiy8B.gif

P.S i think starfield, Dragons Dogma 2 and star wars all have NPCs you can interact with. I wonder if thats the reason why they are so heavy on the CPU.

Spiderman 2 has a good amount of Ps4 assets and limited interaction out of scripted sequences, that along with the incredible optimization give the team at Insomniac the CPU and GPU time to bump up the NPC and vehicle density an draw distances. They have the best RT reflections on Ps5 right now and insane draw distances from some things.

Horizon FW has to render an animate a lot of natural environments which are more expensive in comparison of urban environments like Spiderman 2. On top of that they put more detail on models, they have dynamic time of day, weather, and one of the best cloud rendering tech on the industry.

In the end it is a matter of choosing what to dedicate more resources to. So when some people say that Ubisoft has subpar facial animation or character rendering in comparison to other open world games they don't take into account that those Ubi games (like the AC titles) have things like parkour and climbing systems on almost every surface or building, more complex NPCs routines and path finding, cloth simulation, fire propagation, bigger worlds...

I think a lot of people are gonna be really impressed when we finally see AC Red and others will continue to not see the whole perspective.

SlimySnake

No no no, you don't get to use my tactic after telling me that i can't, gta3 didn't had the fidelity, physics, animations, scope adn many other things that gta6 has, so it's not the same thing.

Also, what do you expect people should do when a crazy dude start running over people or shooting in a club? Stopping you to ask if your driving license is updated? At best they can make all the animations, directions changes, interactions with teh ground or obstacles more precise to make it look more realistic, rdr2 was already more believable than gta5 and i have no doubt that gta6 is gonna be even better.

It is still way more that sp2 does, and you have to calculate hit reactions, ragdoll, gore etc, car deformations, explosions, it's not only much more advanced but also heavier to run, sp2 npcs just crouch and scream and maybe run a couple of meters and the cars do fucking nothing, they are super basic.
The point is that we dont know what other improvements they have in store for us. Hence why i said, lets wait and see.

the original watch dogs trailer had some great little moments sprinkled in. When the big accident happens, you see a woman stuck in a car getting shot and her husband starts crying, you had NPCs on the streets checking up on victims, and while i understand that it was all scripted, there is clearly more in terms of simulations you can add to the world instead of just adding fleeing animations for mass shootings.

GymWolf

The point is that we dont know what other improvements they have in store for us. Hence why i said, lets wait and see.

the original watch dogs trailer had some great little moments sprinkled in. When the big accident happens, you see a woman stuck in a car getting shot and her husband starts crying, you had NPCs on the streets checking up on victims, and while i understand that it was all scripted, there is clearly more in terms of simulations you can add to the world instead of just adding fleeing animations for mass shootings.
And my point was that you can already tell what game has set dress npcs and what games does not because sony open world games usually all have set dressing npcs and rockstar games are all about interaction with the world.

Last game with actual interactive npcs was infamous 3 that was already dumbed down compared to infamous 1 interactions (both cars and npcs).

I would love to see all those new interactions between npcs but iwhat care the most, are the collision between npcs and obstacles, for too much time we have seen npcs sliding between each other and not having the right collision\weight, euphoria make rockstar games better in this sense but we are still far from actual realistic interactions between npcs when they are all close to each other.

I can't even imagine how hard is to make believable npcs with thousands of unique animation and a realistic not silly looking skeletal systems in such a gigantic game with so many variables.
But if rockstar can't, nobody can.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

And my point was that you can already tell what game has set dress npcs and what games does not because sony open world games usually all have set dressing npcs and rockstar games are all about interaction with the world.

Last game with actual interactive npcs was infamous 3 that was already dumbed down compared to infamous 1 interactions (both cars and npcs).

I would love to see all those new interactions between npcs but i care for the most, is the collision between npcs and obstacles, for too much time we have seen npcs sliding between each other and not having the right collision\weight, euphoria make rockstar games better in this sense but we are still far from actual realistic interactions between npcs when they are all close to each other.

I can't even imagine how hard is to make believable npcs with thousands of unique animations in such a gigantic game with so many variables.
But if rockstar can't, nobody can.
This looks pretty good.

battlefieldAztec.gif

GymWolf

This looks pretty good.

battlefieldAztec.gif
They still look like videogamey ass interactions\animations.

Impressive for the numbers etc. But they look like robots more than humans, the way they turn, when they make contact and move, too erratic and unnatural, not enough weight in their movement and not nearly enough animations to cover all the momentum change and variables.

I think euphoria based npcs are still the best, but far from perfect, they still glitch a lot, but sometimes you push them or shoot at them and they have almost life like reactions when they fall down, how they cross their feet and go down like potato sacks, no other game does that, not tlou2 nor anything.

Another game that nails how characters interact with the scenario is dying light 1, the zombies are still today the most realistic moving zombies ever made, the way they fall down from roofs or when they try to surpass an obstacle at waist height is still impressive today, no idea how they fucked up so much in the sequel.

Last edited:

Audiophile

What's making Outlaws appear better is the liveliness of some of those exterior shots paired with sound design. But then that's what impressed in the Watch_Dogs reveal, so I wouldn't be surprised if the world ends up feeling static and dead in the final game. Hopeful Ubi prove use wrong this time around.

Really feel like their foray into full 'next-gen' -- with Outlaws, AC: Red (and the new unified Anvil Pipeline with RTGI & Microgeometry) -- is their lost shot for me. They haven't wowed me in terms of an end product since the PS360 gen and the flawed Unity on PS4.

SlimySnake

What's making Outlaws appear better is the liveliness of some of those exterior shots paired with sound design. But then that's what impressed in the Watch_Dogs reveal, so I wouldn't be surprised if the world ends up feeling static and dead in the final game. Hopeful Ubi prove use wrong this time around.

Really feel like their foray into full 'next-gen' -- with Outlaws, AC: Red (and the new unified Anvil Pipeline with RTGI & Microgeometry) -- is their lost shot for me. They haven't wowed me in terms of an end product since the PS360 gen and the flawed Unity on PS4.
not even Avatar?

origins was superb in terms of draw distance and photogrammetry. Back in 2007, I thought no game could wow me after Horizon, but origins had the cinematography, the draw distance and some of the most amazing city architecture id ever seen. Alexandria and Cyprus were just awe inspiring.

i do think valhalla, mirage and odyssey were missteps due to their art direction, and legion too was underwhelming. Great RT implementation though.

DNUo3TlWsAAWfXk
DOkbWSlUMAEUow6

CGNoire

High quality animations? Discussions between characters have been looked stiffer than my dick after a session with stellar blade for a while now in their ac games.

They used to have good cutscenes and npcs chatting but not recently.

And their ingame combat animations have been glitchy and not the best for a while aswell, for honor was the last one with decent animations.
I havent played there recent games. I just thought it looked pretty good in cutscenes for the reveal. Your 100% spot on about there post unity ingame jank. Thats undeniable.

CGNoire

Do you think DD2 surpasses the promise of Deep Down, graphically?

The color tone/color grading helps. Capcom gets it.

This is why I worry about the MGS 3 Delta remake. While in a technical sense it looks nicer, I get the sense that the remake team doesn't quite get it.

F28tEfpaoAUuNit
Yep there breaking the golden rule of Remakes. Never change the color pallette. Never change the time of day.

Xtib81

not even Avatar?

origins was superb in terms of draw distance and photogrammetry. Back in 2007, I thought no game could wow me after Horizon, but origins had the cinematography, the draw distance and some of the most amazing city architecture id ever seen. Alexandria and Cyprus were just awe inspiring.

i do think valhalla, mirage and odyssey were missteps due to their art direction, and legion too was underwhelming. Great RT implementation though.

DNUo3TlWsAAWfXk
DOkbWSlUMAEUow6
Considering how shitty draw distance was in their previous games, especially in Unity, that was mind blowing. Disscovering Egypt in this game was amazing.
I really hope AC red will be a big step up compared to Valhalla/mirage.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Yep there breaking the golden rule of Remakes. Never change the color pallette. Never change the time of day.
I think BP did it right. For both DS and SOTC. they kept the time of day the same, just changing the color palette a bit while enhancing them with modern day lighting, effects and atmosphere.

I dont know why its cloudy in these areas. The first level of the game is literally set at sunrise. I think the very first line of the game is 'sunrise', and thats when he makes the halo jump. the brownish lighting of the first few levels is supposed to mimick the golden hour lighting. Not sure why they decided to add rain. if anything the lighting is taking away detail from all the UE5 quality assets. Alan Wake 2 does some phenomenal golden hour lighting and that wouldve looked phenomenal here in the opening area they demo'd in the reveal trailer.

NwCvHd9.gif

I think the rain first arrives when you fight the end in a sniper battle.
I havent played there recent games. I just thought it looked pretty good in cutscenes for the reveal. Your 100% spot on about there post unity ingame jank. Thats undeniable.
AC unity has some of the best player animations in a game outside of maybe RDR2 and TLOU2. ubisoft used to be kings of animation. They threw all of that away after Unity. All because it became a meme after they themselves rushed it out at launch. I dont think that team made another AC game after that. It did so many things right. From interiors to character models, insane hair and lighting. Insane amount of NPCs. I love Black Flags and Origins, but that Unity team was the most talented of the bunch and they were effectively turned into a support studio for the trash Syndicate/Odyssey studio and the ok but not as talented Black Flags team. And why? because it was buggy at launch. Come on. Every game is buggy at launch nowadays. I think that was the first game that was memed on social media like that. And just never recovered. Today the game is a cult hit on youtube amassing hundreds of thousands of view per video showing off the stealth systems and traditional assassins creed gameplay set in arguably the best AC setting since AC2.

God i hate this industry at times.

Last edited:

Xtib81

AC unity has some of the best player animations in a game outside of maybe RDR2 and TLOU2. ubisoft used to be kings of animation. They threw all of that away after Unity. All because it became a meme after they themselves rushed it out at launch. I dont think that team made another AC game after that. It did so many things right. From interiors to character models, insane hair and lighting. Insane amount of NPCs. I love Black Flags and Origins, but that Unity team was the most talented of the bunch and they were effectively turned into a support studio for the trash Syndicate/Odyssey studio and the ok but not as talented Black Flags team. And why? because it was buggy at launch. Come on. Every game is buggy at launch nowadays. I think that was the first game that was memed on social media like that. And just never recovered. Today the game is a cult hit on youtube amassing hundreds of thousands of view per video showing off the stealth systems and traditional assassins creed gameplay set in arguably the best AC setting since AC2.

God i hate this industry at times.
I always felt like Unity was too ambitious for its time. It would have done wonders a generation of consoles later. Maybe we'll get a remake someday.

H . R . 2

I always felt like Unity was too ambitious for its time. It would have done wonders a generation of consoles later. Maybe we'll get a remake someday.
in terms of visuals and animations, it hasn't been topped yet by any other Ubi game.

they always learn the wrong lesson from their flops.

• AC Unity was buggy? > dial everything back and downgrade the visuals
  • people want more challenge in Origins ? add a ton of level gating and grind to make it worth the normies' while, divide the fanbase with the inclusion of pseudo-RPG elements, remember to include fantasy
  • people want the classic AC experience in Valhalla? make one-hit assassinations available as an afterthought / a menu option , add more fantastical elements , because !
  • do people want more realism and agency in Ghost Recon? let them just free roam a large empty map
  • Skull and Bones? of course, don't include any of Black Flag's charmm make it a decade-long struggle, and a GAAS to boot, advertise it as AAAA, let It sink, abandon ship
  • do people want BG&E2? delay it to oblivion and reboot it as many times as you can, put it on ice. focus on Just Dance and Mario/Rabbids
  • new IP? sure, launch a series of lazy, cookie-cutter GAAS titles nobody asked for in the first place
  • a new Splinter Cell? sure , make it VR, wait a few years, reboot it, no, make it a remake, keep people waiting and maybe disappoint !
  • do they want a tactical Rainbow Six single player game in 3rd person like Vegas? make it first-person and multiplayer, downgrade the visuals so that it is as childish and playable as CS, don't forget diversity and super abilities
  • WD 1 was too bleak and serious? make WD2 and 3 about a bunch of teenage weirdos and revolutionists and let all that potential go to waste
  • a new 3rd person shooter ,The Division? great, make it an RPG, make stats and numbers pop, keep all the enemies and encounters the same, waste the visuals and the setting, leave servers empty because of level-gating, make a second one and sell it at $2 a month after release, make it GAAS and F2P
  • forget about what made FC1,2,3 great, make it all about towers and hunting, petting and dressing disabled animals, rinse and repeat the "the tried and tested" antagonist formula
  • need innovations? in with the NFTs and out with the budget for upgrading SnowDrop
  • a new dark and gritty Prince of Persia? Remake the original. cancel the project, make it a 2D platformer, include almost nothing of the Persian Culture. Plan a new rogue-like entry
sorry about the long rant but
I hate Ubisoft with a Passion
They used to lead the industry, now they are just f#cking it

Last edited:

Xtib81

in terms of visuals and animations, it hasn't been topped yet by any other Ubi game.

they always learn the wrong lessons from their flops.

• people want more challenge in Origins ? add a ton of level gating and grind to make it worth the normies' while, remember to include fantasy
  • people want the classic AC experience in Valhalla? make one-hit assassinations available as an afterthought / a menu option , add more fantastical elements , because !
  • do people want more realism and agency in Ghost Recon? let them just free roam a large empty map
  • Skull and Bones? of course, don't include any of Black Flag's charmm make it a decade-long struggle, and a GAAS to boot, advertise it as AAAA, let It sink, abandon ship
  • do people want BG&E2? delay it to oblivion and reboot it as many times as you can, put it on ice. focus on Just Dance and Mario/Rabbids
  • new IP? sure, launch a series of lazy, cookie-cutter GAAS titles nobody asked for in the first place
  • a new Splinter Cell? sure , make it VR, wait a few years, reboot it, no, make it a remake, keep people waiting and maybe disappoint !
  • do they want a tactical Rainbow Six single player game in 3rd person like Vegas? make it first-person and multiplayer, downgrade the visuals so that it is as childish and playable as CS, don't forget diversity and super abilities
  • WD 1 was too bleak and serious? make WD2 and 3 about a bunch of teenage weirdos and revolutionists and let all that potential go to waste
  • a new 3rd person shooter ,The Division? great, make it an RPG, make stats and numbers pop, keep all the enemies and encounters the same, waste the visuals and the setting, leave servers empty because of level-gating, make a second one and sell it at $2 a month after release, make it GAAS and F2P
  • need innovations? in with the NFTs and out with the budget for upgrading SnowDrop
  • a new dark and gritty Prince of Persia? Remake the original. cancel the project, make it a 2D platformer, include almost nothing of the Persian Culture. Plan a new rogue-like entry
It's baffling how they have so many great IPs, yet they are a B-tier publisher at best. 10 years ago, they were in a very advantageous position at the beginning of old gen, yet they fucked up everything they could ^^

SlimySnake

I think we should be celebrating these flawed but ambitious games instead of safe sequels like GOW and Horizon FW. I think AC unity was the perfect end of year 1 game like GTA3, Uncharted Drake Fortune, Gears of War, etc. I just think we have gone away from it.

P.S For some reason youtube recommended me a video of GTA4 and it looked like dog shit. ran at 20 fps and just a blurred Vaseline smeared crap. The guy said that he captured it from his SD CRT tv feed. Thats how most people played the game back then but we all understood that next gen shit came at a cost. We got the amazing physics, NPC interactions and way better visuals compared to san andreas and we were happy with that. MGS4 came out a few months later and had its own issues namely the loading between setpieces and chapter installs. But we all kind of understood that we needed that. I see this 30 fps and 60 fps debate nowadays and its frustrating because gamers are much more knowledgeable today but value the wrong things.

SlimySnake

they always learn the wrong lesson from their flops.

• people want more challenge in Origins ? add a ton of level gating and grind to make it worth the normies' while, divide the fanbase with the inclusion of pseudo-RPG elements, remember to include fantasy
  • forget about what made FC1,2,3 great, make it all about towers and hunting, petting and dressing disabled animals, rinse and repeat the "the tried and tested" antagonist formula
I would add Avatar to this list. They took on a movie cinematic IP then took all the cinematic elements away by making it first person. unlike indiana jones, even the cutscenes are first person. In the trailers up leading up launch, they kept showing third person cutscenes of the lead and big battles that were not in the final game.

Also, Far Cry. I loved Far Cry 3. It was my GOTY in 2012 and every game after that slowly removed all the great combat moves, and turned it into just another ubisoft game.

Ubisoft has a rare talent of taking something good and then stripping it of all its potential. I am glad the prince of persia game flopped. dont make a 2d indie game that looks like it was made on the ps2. even brothers which was made on UE5 from a no name studio has better visuals.

i hope they turn the page with Star Wars and AC6, but i agree with pretty much everything you said.

I would add Avatar to this list. They took on a movie cinematic IP then took all the cinematic elements away by making it first person. unlike indiana jones, even the cutscenes are first person. In the trailers up leading up launch, they kept showing third person cutscenes of the lead and big battles that were not in the final game.

Also, Far Cry. I loved Far Cry 3. It was my GOTY in 2012 and every game after that slowly removed all the great combat moves, and turned it into just another ubisoft game.

Ubisoft has a rare talent of taking something good and then stripping it of all its potential. I am glad the prince of persia game flopped. dont make a 2d indie game that looks like it was made on the ps2. even brothers which was made on UE5 from a no name studio has better visuals.

i hope they turn the page with Star Wars and AC6, but i agree with pretty much everything you said.
Ubisoft used to be so good

SlimySnake

Star Wars outlaws trailer today in a couple of hours. Apparently the game comes out in August. Earlier than i expected. That means AC6 is their big holiday game this year.

This will most likely be cutscenes but i would like to see some gameplay snippets like there were in the Avatar story trailer. Massive actually showed the 60 fps console footage for their Avatar story trailer. lets see if there was a downgrade.

GymWolf

Star Wars outlaws trailer today in a couple of hours. Apparently the game comes out in August. Earlier than i expected. That means AC6 is their big holiday game this year.

This will most likely be cutscenes but i would like to see some gameplay snippets like there were in the Avatar story trailer. Massive actually showed the 60 fps console footage for their Avatar story trailer. lets see if there was a downgrade.
I'm more curious to see ac red, any chance of some gameplay for that?

SlimySnake

its funny. I wouldnt even put Ryse, Infamous, Shadowfall or the order in my top 10 or even top 20 graphics of last gen. Even if we disregard all the cross gen games released after 2020.

These are great looking games that have stood the test of time, but by the end of the gen, we had devs who had taken graphics to another level.

Not counting cross gen PS4 games on PS5, here is my top 20 for last gen. in no particular order. All games i think that look way better than Ryse.

• TLOU2
  • RDR2
  • Horizon ZD
  • Anthem
  • Uncharted 4
  • Batman AK
  • Detroit
  • Death Stranding
  • GOW 2018
  • AC Unity
  • Days Gone
  • RE2
  • Control
  • AC Origins
  • GT Sports
  • Witcher 3
  • Until Dawn
  • Spiderman
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • DriveClub
And since 2020, id replace at least half of these games with current gen titles.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Small downgrade. Mostly in volumetric effects and cutscenes dont look as good but other than that, it didnt get your typical Ubisoft downgrade.

Her character model can definitely be better.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
Dammit the GI has definitely been downgraded and that is what appealed to me the most with the reveal trailer. And all character models look mediocre. Materials look pretty good but many studios seem to do a great job with PBR nowadays so it's less special.

As of now, it's a wait and see. I won't be playing any new games until the PS5 Pro comes out anyway.

mrqs

Small downgrade. Mostly in volumetric effects and cutscenes dont look as good but other than that, it didnt get your typical Ubisoft downgrade.

Her character model can definitely be better.
I think my biggest problem is with shadowing and some textures. The lack of those volumetric effects really shows too, looks a bit flat.

O9XFxq5.png

And this is in-engine, no specific platform mentioned. I can imagine that it'll look a low-res FSR-filled mess on consoles, but I hope I'm wrong.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

I think my biggest problem is with shadowing and some textures. The lack of those volumetric effects really shows too, looks a bit flat.

O9XFxq5.png

And this is in-engine, no specific platform mentioned. I can imagine that it'll look a low-res FSR-filled mess on consoles, but I hope I'm wrong.

Yeah, the shadows on her face look really bad.

SlimySnake

Dammit the GI has definitely been downgraded and that is what appealed to me the most with the reveal trailer. And all character models look mediocre. Materials look pretty good but many studios seem to do a great job with PBR nowadays so it's less special.

As of now, it's a wait and see. I won't be playing any new games until the PS5 Pro comes out anyway.
Its a shame but maybe this is console footage and the PC unobtanium setting will look closer to the first trailer.

H . R . 2

its funny. I wouldnt even put Ryse, Infamous, Shadowfall or the order in my top 10 or even top 20 graphics of last gen. Even if we disregard all the cross gen games released after 2020.

These are great looking games that have stood the test of time, but by the end of the gen, we had devs who had taken graphics to another level.

Not counting cross gen PS4 games on PS5, here is my top 20 for last gen. in no particular order. All games i think that look way better than Ryse.

• TLOU2
  • RDR2
  • Horizon ZD
  • Anthem
  • Uncharted 4
  • Batman AK
  • Detroit
  • Death Stranding
  • GOW 2018
  • AC Unity
  • Days Gone
  • RE2
  • Control
  • AC Origins
  • GT Sports
  • Witcher 3
  • Until Dawn
  • Spiderman
  • Ghost of Tsushima
  • DriveClub
And since 2020, id replace at least half of these games with current gen titles.
The Order: 1886? that's one of the top 5 most technically advanced games we had last gen

setoman

I dont know. i dont care to have this downgrade conversation all over again. i went through this already with you guys before starfield and avatar came out. i kept telling you that its too late to downgrade those games from their e3 presentations but you wouldnt believe me. then the games came out and looked even better than the console footage shown at last E3s.
And this SlimySnake is why I still have downgrade conversation. SWO went from a current-gen game to a run of the mill last gen looking ubisoft game. Completely disgusting downgrade.

the overall visual fidelity will be very close to this.

giphy.gif
Heck the downgraded version looks worse than Jedi Survivor

Last edited:
Top Bottom