• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Graphical Fidelity I Expect This Gen

H . R . 2

an hour in and hot damn, The Callisto Protocol is gorgeous. great use of volumetric lighting, amazing texture work, facial animations, etc. and surprisingly optimised
and as for gameplay, I don't get the criticism. it may not be as varied or sophisticated as TLOU2, but CP's dodging system is every bit as smooth.
the combat seems fine. maybe I should play more but so far at least I can say this easily rivals TLOU2, Horizon FW in terms of detailed character models
just beautiful. especially the lighting and the atmosphere. this was the closest experience to Doom 3 in terms of Cosmic Horror

9OJrNER.jpg

Rb239Im.jpg

sorry about the low-res screens

665pLFV.jpg
captured on PC, Ultra 1440, RTX off, 1080GTX

Last edited:
Df said its mostly around 1440p.

There might be some res drops during but i wouldn’t worry too much. It will be 1440p the vast majority of the time.

A 900p game would show on YouTube as a bluury shimmering mess. Hb2 simply isn’t that.

OK ...df hinted that the iq may be questionable tho. It could be 1440p upscaled from something lower. It's impossible to tell from YouTube the true image until it's released and being played by us. We'll see. Game has the potential to be "that game" but 1140p doesn't inspire confidence. Too many console games in 1440p that look blurry this gen!

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
an hour in and hot damn, The Callisto Protocol is gorgeous. great use of volumetric lighting, amazing texture work, facial animations, etc. and surprisingly optimised
and as for gameplay, I don't get the criticism. it may not be as varied or sophisticated as TLOU2, but CP's dodging system is every bit as smooth.
the combat seems fine. maybe I should play more but so far at least I can say this easily rivals TLOU2, Horizon FW in terms of detailed character models
just beautiful. especially the lighting and the atmosphere. this was the closest experience to Doom 3 in terms of Cosmic Horror

9OJrNER.jpg

Rb239Im.jpg

665pLFV.jpg
Wait till you finish it. It’s beyond terrible.
Graphics are good. Mostly just faces

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes

9OJrNER.jpg

Rb239Im.jpg

665pLFV.jpg
Gameplay is fine. dont listen to rofif. hes in every callisto thread and ignores many users who like you and I found the game very fun to play.

And id highly recommend you get this game on PS5 to enjoy the rt effects. without rt, the game loses its next gen sheen.

the ps5 version's performance mode disables rt and even though rt is mostly just reflections and shadows, it completely changes the look of the game, even the lighting. DF actually found that the rt reflections were so advanced that they were reflecting light on non-metallic walls from light sources across the room.

P,S One big tip on combat. upgrade the force push and melee upgrade trees first. ignore the weapon unlocks and upgrades until you have fully maxed out melee damage, force damage, and other melee and force skills. it will make combat so much more dynamic and fun when you have melee + biotic + guns at your disposal.

Wait till you finish it. It’s beyond terrible.
Graphics are good. Mostly just faces

The game was good. People just wanted Dead Space 4 and couldn't wrap their heads around the fact that you need to focus on melee and not on guns. Also I made this comment in one of the older CP threads, people even in reviews mentioned the constant vent climbing animations...I played GOW Ragnarok and there is at least TWICE as much squeezing through a stupid rock animation then there are vents in CP yet nobody ever mentions that. It didn't help that DS Remake came out at the same time too so instead of treating it as a different game they made a direct comparison. It wasnt some 10/10 title but neither did it deserve to be burried as some shovelware.

Last edited:

CamHostage

I’m hella late, but it turns out face rigs that impress me most are all 3Lateral, including Horizon: Forbidden West AND Death Stranding 2. I did not know that.

And now that includes Hellblade 2 and 1946.

Insomniac has worked with them too! Why are they going with Ziva for Wolverine over 3Lateral, who could deliver the Hellblade 2 results they’re looking for?

Insomniac has worked with a variety of tech service providers, including both Ziva and 3Lateral. Different projects have different demands (and different bidding prices, or different availability schedule for booking,) and tech moves fast, so good companies do it both ways, they find reliable partners to make what they need but they also shop around for other providers to see what's out there.

BTW, another company which has also worked with both Ziva and 3Lateral is Ninja Theory. Yep, Hellblade 2 trained its giant ogre model on Ziva's FX system for body motion. So it's not just a matter of one company that Hellblade 2 is "going with". Wolverine can do whatever's needed too.

New-Project-17-1536x864.jpg

Don't get hung up, BTW, on 3Lateral being some sole savior for next-gen character graphics... you've probably already played a many games in the past 10 years that has been touched by 3Lateral work, some good and some eh. Hellblade 2 used their services, but so did Hellblade 1 seven years ago. They've been employed for God of War, Insomniac titles, all the Dark Pictures Anthology games, the old VR games Blood & Truth and Batman Arkham VR, Anthem, Ryse, GTA5, DMC5, some of the CoDs, the shitty Crime Boss: Rockay City, even Fortnite. Not every studio used all the same services 3Lateral offers, and MetaHuman is their cumulative project of the latest of their technology, but this is a tool in progress over what you've seen before, not a breakthrough you've never seen before. And 3Lateral isn't the only company in this business doing this and they may not necessarily be the only ones capable of this level of facial fidelity in game use (although more on that in a sec...)

Also, just because a studio uses 3Lateral or MetaHuman doesn't mean that it will automatically have the best faces because it's this super-impressive, ultra-next-gen, magically perfect face rig. Quality and skill are still factors, and MetaHumans have their limitations. You may see some of these limitations as more and more MetaHumans get plugged into games, and also you will see MetaHumans of wildly varying degrees of quality. (When Gears 5 developer The Coalition evaluated MetaHuman for future projects, they determined that aspects of it were very well done for general use but that their own modeling and motion systems would still have to be built, using parts of MetaHuman maybe, in order to get what they need for their games. This was a few years ago, maybe things have changed, but either way, MetaHuman isn't the only or even necessarily best way to make a game character.) 3Lateral and MetaHuman was never a completed "product", something that you just took "the rig" for your game and got amazing game characters; it's a technology framework to create characters using ML-trained facial databanks and other technology and assets, and unless you're using the off-the-shelf general models, there's work involved. Don't get me wrong, what 3Lateral offers game developers is f***ing awesome when used well, but it can also output generic junk if a developer can't harness it well.

...Some bad news here, btw: we may never know if Ziva's VFX Face Trainer would have competed with or offered different qualities compared to 3Lateral and MetaHuman because Ziva is toast. Unity acquired the company in 2022, but this catastrophic market slump (and other Unity issues...) have led the parent company to kill Ziva's technology suite. The tool may survive though an acquisition partner, but right now, it's inactive. It's a shame, the competition could have been good for both services...

Last edited:

mrqs

They expanded way too fast after the success of Crysis 1 went to their head. Along many dumb decisions.

• 2011 Crysis 2 costed a fortune and had the lowest grossed margin of the series
  • 2013 Crysis 3 sales did not meet expectations
  • 2013 Microsoft exclusives
    • Warface, do you even recall it? I didn't. Free to play online. Again, probably money thrown in the wind
    • Ryse, mixed reviews, ~1.3M units in sales. okay I guess but not what you expect from a big exclusive.
  • 2014 mobile
    • Deal with DeNA (kiss of death) for The collectables (69 metacritic)
  • At this point in 2014 some devs are complaining to not being paid and that the company is in a bad spot.
  • 2015 Amazon
    • Cryengine licensed to Amazon, yay?
  • 2016 VR
    • The Climb & Robinson the journey... VR is a niche market
    • Oh shit, Amazon released Lumberyard, a copy of cryengine. Why pay a license now.
    • CIG (Star Citizen) switched from cryengine to Lumberyard. Crytek tries to sue CIG with an action claiming that CIG had to use cryengine and not allowed to move away from it (LOL). Dismissed in court
    • Crytek tries a 2nd time, that CIG violated the GLA by promoting other game engines (Star engine & Lumberyard). Which again, CIG is not competing with Cryengine as they don't sell a license to it. Again, dismissed in court
    • 3rd time? Yup. Claimed copyright infringement for removing crytek trademark for the game engine... thing is CIG is no longer using cryengine... dismissed
    • 4th? You better believe, something will stick right? Ex Crytek employee was the now CIG attorney, they claimed conflict of interest, they withdrew it themselves..
    • 5th... seeking damages, dismissed
    • 6th Breach of contract for snippets of cryengine in the video series bugsmashers... dropped
    • 7th Failure to provide bug fixes and optimizations. CIG was required to provide any bug fixes and optimizations to crytek when using CryEngine. Crytek claimed they didn't. CIG brought the receipts that they did... Crytek realizes they're a fucking fool and dropped the claim
    • 8th Crytek claims CIG shared source code with Faceware, but themselves admit they have zero evidence in support of its claim 🤦‍♂️ Dropped
    • 9th and last fucking one... Loss of benefits as CIG dropped the engine to Lumberyard and it would be a loss of money source from CIG promoting cryengine... even though there's nothing in GLA obligating CIG to promote CryEngine... dismissed.
  • Then massive studio closures. After Crytek had not paid many studios for months, including the Frankfurt studio. Five studio closed.
The head of the studio was a dumbass clearly.

So from Single player non exclusives to Microsoft deal, to mobile, to VR, to giving the engine away to then spending huge money in court for everything to be dismissed.

Great timeline. Had no idea of all these lawsuits!

winjer

Gold Member

It's just a tech demo, with great graphics, but mediocre gameplay.

CGNoire

Only big issue is they fucked up the main characters face and the atmosphere in a lot of spots

tumblr_nkmyz2nSav1tbue3fo1_500.gif

OG good

Remake dead

JHaWNYq.gif

They sucked the Japenese right out of it.

Yep and removed smoke haze making some enviroments seem smaller. But nothing touche what they did to wander. Turning him from a determined youth into an uncanny emotionless robot.

Last edited:

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
Man, saw CIVIL WAR in IMAX last night, and holy fuck, the sound design was some of the best i've ever heard in film. Incredible stuff.
Beautiful movie from a technical standpoint, with god -tier combat scenes near the end of the film.
Got me hungry for a new, grounded, War game with a serious story and top tier visuals and sound.
No one is doing that in the AAA space.

Last edited:

mrMUR_96

9OJrNER.jpg

Rb239Im.jpg

665pLFV.jpg
The game looks so much better with RT on, played it on PS5 and it looked amazing on that. Massive disagree about the dodging animation though, TLO2's combat animation is so much better, really hope more games embrace motion-matching for their animation, makes a big difference. Kind of mixed on the game overall, combat is a bit weak and repetitive, but I do feel it go too much hate and could be greatly improved upon in a sequel.

SlimySnake

Sounds like 90% of modern "AAA" games that try and be more movie than game.
Nope. there are like 5 cutscenes in the game after the opening. 95% of the game is combat encounters and going through survival horror levels. This aint the order which is 60% unskippable cutscenes, 20% walking and 20% combat.

Combat is fun and punchy. It's not doing anything completely original but its not bad by any means and its definitely a game thats trying to be a gamey game like dead space rather than trying to be a movie game like Order, Hellblade or TLOU.

GnL1NAt.gif

I saw some people complaining that this game has backtracking even though there is almost none of it while the DS remake definitely did due to its metroidvania style level design, but this is a linear as fuck game where you only move forward. Others were like half of the game is you traversing vents which is simply not true. Now im reading that its a cinematic movie game. come on.

If anything, i liked that it was a short focused linear game with no bullshit walking or climbing sections, no long cutscenes that drag on and on for "character development". Its a simple game with like 2 scenes with exposition and the rest is all action. And no the action is not dog shit either like gymwolf said. you have a great aresenal of melee, force and weapon abilities at your disposal. Each fleshed out with its own skill tree with with lots of opportunities for environmental takedowns. i dont know why people like tlou2 dodge but not here. So many shooters just have you just shoot at people. hell, DS remake is basically that. You get a few weapons and you spend the rest of the game shooting off limbs. The force abilities in that game are so half baked its shocking. But everyone loves that.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Nope. there are like 5 cutscenes in the game after the opening. 95% of the game is combat encounters and going through survival horror levels. This aint the order which is 60% unskippable cutscenes, 20% walking and 20% combat.

Combat is fun and punchy. It's not doing anything completely original but its not bad by any means and its definitely a game thats trying to be a gamey game like dead space rather than trying to be a movie game like Order, Hellblade or TLOU.

GnL1NAt.gif

I saw some people complaining that this game has backtracking even though there is almost none of it while the DS remake definitely did due to its metroidvania style level design, but this is a linear as fuck game where you only move forward. Others were like half of the game is you traversing vents which is simply not true. Now im reading that its a cinematic movie game. come on.

If anything, i liked that it was a short focused linear game with no bullshit walking or climbing sections, no long cutscenes that drag on and on for "character development". Its a simple game with like 2 scenes with exposition and the rest is all action. And no the action is not dog shit either like gymwolf said. you have a great aresenal of melee, force and weapon abilities at your disposal. Each fleshed out with its own skill tree with with lots of opportunities for environmental takedowns. i dont know why people like tlou2 dodge but not here. So many shooters just have you just shoot at people. hell, DS remake is basically that. You get a few weapons and you spend the rest of the game shooting off limbs. The force abilities in that game are so half baked its shocking. But everyone loves that.
I don't understand it. have you played a different game?
There are ton of slow walk sections, crawling through vents and back through vents.... crawling and crawling and crawling.
And the combat is shite. You dodge left, right, hit. And that;s it. That's the whole game. It's always left right hit. always.
There is a boss in the game too... repeated 5 times.

Combat is not fun. It is the worst combat I've seen in a game of this type. It is truly despicable. Guns feel good. I give it that.
But the levels, corridors and never ending crawling... and yes - there is some backtracking.
And the story is awful. It makes no sense and doesn't end.
I hated this game so much, I felt offended by the end and sold it lol :p
Even if I loved the graphics.
It's not even an outlier opinion

"
these rooms and hallways is separated by a 30+ second vent crawling sequence where you never get attacked.
"

DS remake is 10x of a game than this is.
Like I get it, I like forspoken and I am sure I will be reminded of it in a few seconds here... but forspoken got hell of a gameplay especially compared to CP.

CP has it's place in this thread because it looks insance. But nothing else.

Bilu

Can this be considered state-of-the-art graphics? It's simply incredible what a LOD mod can do in a graphically simple game.

SlimySnake

I don't understand it. have you played a different game?
There are ton of slow walk sections, crawling through vents and back through vents.... crawling and crawling and crawling.
And the combat is shite. You dodge left, right, hit. And that;s it. That's the whole game. It's always left right hit. always.
There is a boss in the game too... repeated 5 times.

Combat is not fun. It is the worst combat I've seen in a game of this type. It is truly despicable. Guns feel good. I give it that.
But the levels, corridors and never ending crawling... and yes - there is some backtracking.
And the story is awful. It makes no sense and doesn't end.
I hated this game so much, I felt offended by the end and sold it lol :p
Even if I loved the graphics.
It's not even an outlier opinion

"
these rooms and hallways is separated by a 30+ second vent crawling sequence where you never get attacked.
"

DS remake is 10x of a game than this is.
Like I get it, I like forspoken and I am sure I will be reminded of it in a few seconds here... but forspoken got hell of a gameplay especially compared to CP.

CP has it's place in this thread because it looks insance. But nothing else.

there are walking sections and then there are walking sections. the walking sections in TLOU and most sony games where you simply just walk alongside NPCs at snails pace and do fucking nothing else other than collecting flowers for the sake of character development is not the same as walking through a level where nothing happens. Every game in the history of video games has those levels. In survival horror games, they are used to build atmosphere and scares. When you are walking through them for the first time, you dont know where the enemy will come from. just look at RE4. Arguably the best survival horror game of all time, and has plenty of areas with no combat. no game has a combat encounter in every room or hallway. that would be idiotic.

there are like 10 vents in the game. who cares. they make you backtrack once in the game, and thats not even a real backtracking sequence because you literally go from one room to the next to toggle a switch and then back to the same room. if thats backtracking, every single game has backtracking.

the fact that you think the combat is dodge left and right is proof you never really gave the game a shot because there are so many different abilities that you get compared to other games in the genre like TLOU2, Dead Space and RE4. Full melee moveset, all kinds of different guns, and a full jedi move set.

i think you just might have an irrational hatred for the game. there is nothing here thats completely offensive. At worst it's mediocre in terms of storytelling and level design but the way people talk about this game is like its the order or ryse or something.

Last edited:

JCreasy

Insomniac has worked with a variety of tech service providers, including both Ziva and 3Lateral. Different projects have different demands (and different bidding prices, or different availability schedule for booking,) and tech moves fast, so good companies do it both ways, they find reliable partners to make what they need but they also shop around for other providers to see what's out there.

BTW, another company which has also worked with both Ziva and 3Lateral is Ninja Theory. Yep, Hellblade 2 trained its giant ogre model on Ziva's FX system for body motion. So it's not just a matter of one company that Hellblade 2 is "going with". Wolverine can do whatever's needed too.

New-Project-17-1536x864.jpg

Don't get hung up, BTW, on 3Lateral being some sole savior for next-gen character graphics... you've probably already played a many games in the past 10 years that has been touched by 3Lateral work, some good and some eh. Hellblade 2 used their services, but so did Hellblade 1 seven years ago. They've been employed for God of War, Insomniac titles, all the Dark Pictures Anthology games, the old VR games Blood & Truth and Batman Arkham VR, Anthem, Ryse, GTA5, DMC5, some of the CoDs, the shitty Crime Boss: Rockay City, even Fortnite. Not every studio used all the same services 3Lateral offers, and MetaHuman is their cumulative project of the latest of their technology, but this is a tool in progress over what you've seen before, not a breakthrough you've never seen before. And 3Lateral isn't the only company in this business doing this and they may not necessarily be the only ones capable of this level of facial fidelity in game use (although more on that in a sec...)

Also, just because a studio uses 3Lateral or MetaHuman doesn't mean that it will automatically have the best faces because it's this super-impressive, ultra-next-gen, magically perfect face rig. Quality and skill are still factors, and MetaHumans have their limitations. You may see some of these limitations as more and more MetaHumans get plugged into games, and also you will see MetaHumans of wildly varying degrees of quality. (When Gears 5 developer The Coalition evaluated MetaHuman for future projects, they determined that aspects of it were very well done for general use but that their own modeling and motion systems would still have to be built, using parts of MetaHuman maybe, in order to get what they need for their games. This was a few years ago, maybe things have changed, but either way, MetaHuman isn't the only or even necessarily best way to make a game character.) 3Lateral and MetaHuman was never a completed "product", something that you just took "the rig" for your game and got amazing game characters; it's a technology framework to create characters using ML-trained facial databanks and other technology and assets, and unless you're using the off-the-shelf general models, there's work involved. Don't get me wrong, what 3Lateral offers game developers is f***ing awesome when used well, but it can also output generic junk if a developer can't harness it well.

...Some bad news here, btw: we may never know if Ziva's VFX Face Trainer would have competed with or offered different qualities compared to 3Lateral and MetaHuman because Ziva is toast. Unity acquired the company in 2022, but this catastrophic market slump (and other Unity issues...) have led the parent company to kill Ziva's technology suite. The tool may survive though an acquisition partner, but right now, it's inactive. It's a shame, the competition could have been good for both services...

This might be the best follow-up response I have ever received on Gaf. Thank you so much!

With respect to 3Lateral, I was specifically talking about their ML rig used in 1946 (and I suspect they may be using the same kind of rig for Hellblade 2). The panel they participated in at GDC gave a brief explainer as to why what we're seeing in the trailer looks so good -- what makes it different from the generic output you mentioned above. And you actually touch on this a bit in your response. They're essentially creating a custom trained rig for a specific actor, if I understand it correctly. The actor does a series of expressions for a rig that was scanned and mapped to their face specifically. Basically, only that actor can use that rig (this is, of course, a departure from the Guerrilla Studios implementation, in where they scanned the face of a Norwegian actress, but they're using Ashly Burch for all the performance capture that animates that face).

I think what you're saying is that at one point, Ziva might have been completely capable of offering this exact service given that they were also using machine learning to train rigs. You say this is what was used for the Ogre we see in Hellblade 2. Sad to hear that Ziva is no more.

I guess what I was trying to say was that we know from the leaks that Insomniac was chasing a level of fidelity they saw in Hellblade 2. I think it's fair to assume they were talking about the facial fidelity. When I think about what really sets Hellblade 2 apart, it's those facial animations blended with photorealistic materials. That's what makes everybody say "wow." Maybe there are other vendors that could help them achieve that for Wolverine, but we KNOW that 3Lateral has nailed it with their ML rigs. And now that Ziva has dissolved, I gotta imagine 3Lateral is still among the best.

I hear what you're saying. 3Lateral alone doesn't make characters look "wow." There are other contributing factors, including the capabilities of the teams leveraging what they provide. I get that. The point I'm making is that I've seen 3Lateral's services contribute to the best gen 9 character models we've seen so far: Hellblade 2 and 1946. It would seem the shortest route to Insomniac's goal, in this case, would be to get on 3Lateral's calendar. Their implementation, when leveraged correctly, gets groundbreaking results.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
there are walking sections and then there are walking sections. the walking sections in TLOU and most sony games where you simply just walk alongside NPCs at snails pace and do fucking nothing else other than collecting flowers for the sake of character development is not the same as walking through a level where nothing happens. Every game in the history of video games has those levels. In survival horror games, they are used to build atmosphere and scares. When you are walking through them for the first time, you dont know where the enemy will come from. just look at RE4. Arguably the best survival horror game of all time, and has plenty of areas with no combat. no game has a combat encounter in every room or hallway. that would be idiotic.

there are like 10 vents in the game. who cares. they make you backtrack once in the game, and thats not even a real backtracking sequence because you literally go from one room to the next to toggle a switch and then back to the same room. if thats backtracking, every single game has backtracking.

the fact that you think the combat is dodge left and right is proof you never really gave the game a shot because there are so many different abilities that you get compared to other games in the genre like TLOU2, Dead Space and RE4. Full melee moveset, all kinds of different guns, and a full jedi move set.

i think you just might have an irrational hatred for the game. there is nothing here thats completely offensive. At worst it's mediocre in terms of storytelling and level design but the way people talk about this game is like its the order or ryse or something.
But cpnis 8 hours long and those other games with slow walking sections are 3x as long.
Truth is, the vents in cp are obnoxious and boring. And the bad combat doesn’t save the game. 10 vents? Then why everyone complaints about constant crawling

I am not hating on the game because it has no combat areas or slow walking sections. I am hating the game because it’s monotonous vent after vent and left right dodge fights. And then game ends.

SlimySnake

But cpnis 8 hours long and those other games with slow walking sections are 3x as long.
Truth is, the vents in cp are obnoxious and boring. And the bad combat doesn’t save the game. 10 vents? Then why everyone complaints about constant crawling

I am not hating on the game because it has no combat areas or slow walking sections. I am hating the game because it’s monotonous vent after vent and left right dodge fights. And then game ends.
i have only seen you complain about the vents. there have been multiple threads on gaf about this game and its very rare to see that complaint pop up. there

and its not left right dodge fights. you just played that way because you refuse to use other items at your disposal.

This is on max difficulty early on in the game before you get access to most of the weapons, melee abilities that let you auto target weakpoints for a one hit kill after a stun, and jedi abilities that let you send enemies flying into walls for a one hit kill. Oh and the guy dodges twice during the whole encounter.

This is by far the most visceral combat system for a TPS ive played since TLOU2. Incredible gore, sound design, and animations.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
i have only seen you complain about the vents. there have been multiple threads on gaf about this game and its very rare to see that complaint pop up. there

and its not left right dodge fights. you just played that way because you refuse to use other items at your disposal.

This is on max difficulty early on in the game before you get access to most of the weapons, melee abilities that let you auto target weakpoints for a one hit kill after a stun, and jedi abilities that let you send enemies flying into walls for a one hit kill. Oh and the guy dodges twice during the whole encounter.

This is by far the most visceral combat system for a TPS ive played since TLOU2. Incredible gore, sound design, and animations.

yeah I used that ability. I finished the game.
I cannot disagree with you on these anymore. Let's not break this thread

JCreasy

Mocapping and face scanning a bunch of Hollywood actors doesn't make a game good- sometimes quite the opposite.

True. But just like anything, when implemented well, it can add a rich immersive element to the experience. And generally, the studios we talk about here are looking to do that.

Punctuating an emotional beat with an expert performance from a skilled actor can have the same impact in games that it has in any film or TV episode. It's been proven successful many times. That’s why all this tech has been dedicated to finally clearing the uncanny valley and making performance capture as photorealistic as possible.

The good news is that there will always be developers out there that prefer a stylized approach and we'll get games from them too. One doesn't cancel out the other.

Last edited:
The game looks so much better with RT on, played it on PS5 and it looked amazing on that. Massive disagree about the dodging animation though, TLO2's combat animation is so much better, really hope more games embrace motion-matching for their animation, makes a big difference. Kind of mixed on the game overall, combat is a bit weak and repetitive, but I do feel it go too much hate and could be greatly improved upon in a sequel.

Imagine if they made the dodge timing based I stead of "hold left, right or back, no timing necessary". Just give it the same dodge that LoU2 has! That would've transformed the entire combat and made for a much more enjoyable game.

The dodge system they have takes 0 skill once you realize all u have to do is hold a direction ..

GnL1NAt.gif

LoU2 dodge has a risk vs reward. You need to have proper timing which equates to fun. Callisto there's no timing or risk involved.

One thing to add is Callisto is linear in the worst way. There's literally no branching paths or backtracking required. Nothing to figure out. Dead Space is kinda the same because you press r stick in and it always tells you exactly where to go. Btw I like both games, just saying the devs fucked up the game design with dodging and that extreme linearity.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Imagine if they made the dodge timing based I stead of "hold left, right or back, no timing necessary". Just give it the same dodge that LoU2 has! That would've transformed the entire combat and made for a much more enjoyable game.

The dodge system they have takes 0 skill once you realize all u have to do is hold a direction ..
But tlou2 is literally what you are describing here. You press L1 and she dodges for you. Its more involved here because you have to switch directions after each dodge and enemies continue attacking unlike in TLOU2 where after just one dodge, ellie can counter and well, thats the end of that melee fight.

And there is a timing thing for perfect dodge which slows down time and gives you a damage boost. You don’t have to hold it. you can tap the left or right stick at the start of the attack. id use the heavy melee attack after the slowdown which would either send them flying or open them up for a critical gunshot which is a one hit kill after you unlock the skill to target their weakpoints. there is nothing like that in tlou2 and i consider that the best Third person shooter/melee system since MGS5.

A lot of people dont realize that you can block in the game too. There is a whole skill tree for blocking too. So you dont even have to dodge.

LoU2 dodge has a risk vs reward. You need to have proper timing which equates to fun. Callisto there's no timing or risk involved.

One thing to add is Callisto is linear in the worst way. There's literally no branching paths or backtracking required. Nothing to figure out. Dead Space is kinda the same because you press r stick in and it always tells you exactly where to go. Btw I like both games, just saying the devs fucked up the game design with dodging and that extreme linearity.
I can understand the complaints about linear and mostly safe level design. I'm personally a metroidvania guy myself so i typically enjoy Dead Space style level design more, but the combat and encounters in ds remake were so lame, I kinda checked out around 6 hours in and never finished the game. Callisto I beat three times in a row despite it being linear as fuck. However, if someone wants to criticize that aspect of the game and give it a 5 or a 6, I would have no problems with it. I gave it a 7 myself and would rate it alongside games like ratchet, horizon fw, days gone, mass effect andromeda, ff16, so not bad, not great, just good with some flaws. its definitely full grade below great games like star wars, spiderman 2, GoT, GOW ragnorak, returnal all of which id rate 8-8.5.

I just take issue with how some people act like its one of the worst games ever made while making up shit about it having backtracking or it being a movie game. HB2 is coming out soon and people will see what a real movie game looks like.

Last edited:

DanielG165

Just started Horizon Forbidden West tonight on PC, and I honestly wish I hadn’t played Avatar before the PC port of the former came out. FW certainly looks really good still, but Frontiers of Pandora is on another level as far as density, foliage, and textures imo. It also runs better too, despite being entirely current gen, and I was playing it at 4K DLSS quality, near max settings. FW kind of struggles to stay at 60fps at 1440, DLSS dynamic. I know the latter of the two is a couple years old now, but I’m not yet blown away by it like I was with Avatar.

It’s still super early, though, so we’ll see. Not a bad looking game by any means, and the facial work is some of the best in the business thus far. I may just need more time with it, but for now, Avatar is the prettier game to my eyes.

SlimySnake

True. But just like anything, when implemented well, it can add a rich immersive element to the experience. And generally, the studios we talk about here are looking to do that.

Punctuating an emotional beat with an expert performance from a skilled actor can have the same impact in games that it has in any film or TV episode. It's been proven successful many times. That’s why all this tech has been dedicated to finally clearing the uncanny valley and making performance capture as photorealistic as possible.

The good news is that there will always be developers out there that prefer a stylized approach and we'll get games from them too. One doesn't cancel out the other.
Literally every major studio does mocap and face scans. I find it hilarious that the things callisto does right are being used to diss it.

Almost every third party is using hollywood actors nowadays for both facial capture and mocap. The only difference between sony and third party studios that hire hollywood talent is that sony hires no name people for face models so they dont have to pay them much, and then have voice actors do the mocapping. Aloy, Dina, Abby, MJ are all face scanned. Id rather have hollywood talent do the mocapping so that the raw facial animations are applied 1:1 to the face instead of having a bunch of animators taking facial capture data of an actress who looks nothing like the face model or the ingame character and hack it in.

1943, Death Stranding and Callisto did it right. ND and GG animators did a phenomenal job with hand key'ing in the facial animations but this is the best way to go about capturing facial data and removing the middle man animators altogether.

kojima is using metahuman tech for this next game. looks phenomenal. and the game is going to be phenomenal, but some people will dismiss it because they used hollywood actors and actual next gen facial capture tech because why praise people who actually put in the effort into cutscenes and production values.

LLyBXWo.gif

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Just started Horizon Forbidden West tonight on PC, and I honestly wish I hadn’t played Avatar before the PC port of the former came out. FW certainly looks really good still, but Frontiers of Pandora is on another level as far as density, foliage, and textures imo. It also runs better too, despite being entirely current gen, and I was playing it at 4K DLSS quality, near max settings. FW kind of struggles to stay at 60fps at 1440, DLSS dynamic. I know the latter of the two is a couple years old now, but I’m not yet blown away by it like I was with Avatar.

It’s still super early, though, so we’ll see. Not a bad looking game by any means, and the facial work is some of the best in the business thus far. I may just need more time with it, but for now, Avatar is the prettier game to my eyes.
lol I brought this up when the port was first announced. That they will now be overshadowed by Avatar. Good to see the cutscenes still holding up because that shows that really went above and beyond with it.

Sony games just dont perform well on PC. I was just in another thread where chiefdada posted a ratchet RTX 3080 benchmark where the game struggled to run at 1080p 60 fps lmao. meanwhile the ps5 was running the game at upto 50 fps at native 4k. So this 1.6-2x more powerful GPU is being outperformed by 2-3x. granted it is likely running rt shadows which the ps5 doesnt have but 1080p 60 fps is still really bad for a 3080.

HFW has some very ugly looking areas and the first tutorial area isnt the best either. It really shines when you get to the forest and beach areas and looks really off in the desert areas. But id say 70% of the time the game looks phenomenal so just keep going and ignore the fugly areas as an aberration. Avatar will still beat its forest areas in terms of density, draw distance and lighting but the cinematography here is still beautiful. You are in for a treat.

Last edited:

DanielG165

lol I brought this up when the port was first announced. That they will now be overshadowed by Avatar. Good to see the cutscenes still holding up because that shows that really went above and beyond with it.

Sony games just dont perform well on PC. I was just in another thread where chiefdada posted a ratchet RTX 3080 benchmark where the game struggled to run at 1080p 60 fps lmao. meanwhile the ps5 was running the game at upto 50 fps at native 4k. So this 1.6-2x more powerful GPU is being outperformed by 2-3x. granted it is likely running rt shadows which the ps5 doesnt have but 1080p 60 fps is still really bad for a 3080.

HFW has some very ugly looking areas and the first tutorial area isnt the best either. It really shines when you get to the forest and beach areas and looks really off in the desert areas. But id say 70% of the time the game looks phenomenal so just keep going and ignore the fugly areas as an aberration. Avatar will still beat its forest areas in terms of density, draw distance and lighting but the cinematography here is still beautiful. You are in for a treat.
Thanks for this. I’m certainly looking forward to playing more sometime tomorrow and getting deeper into areas where the game can really shine. I’ll probably have to switch DLSS over to performance in order to have a stable frame rate, as right now it’ll be incredibly smooth, then absolutely tank for a few seconds. Hopefully there will be some patches made in the near future, as I remember Zero Dawn having performance issues on PC at launch also.

Honestly, both Spider-Man remastered, and God of War run really well for me, as was Zero Dawn, but Rift Apart and now FW are both wonky, with the former running better than Forbidden West, but choking near the end of the game. You’re right, though; it seems like the more graphically ambitious a Sony game is, the less likely it’ll run well/stable on PC lol. Makes me wonder how GoT will run, and the likes of Ragnarok when it inevitably comes.

It’s just funny and amazing to have a massive, open world, current gen only Ubisoft game with the best visual fidelity on the market thus far in Avatar, run better and put less stress on my PC than a two year old Sony exclusive.

SlimySnake

Thanks for this. I’m certainly looking forward to playing more sometime tomorrow and getting deeper into areas where the game can really shine. I’ll probably have to switch DLSS over to performance in order to have a stable frame rate, as right now it’ll be incredibly smooth, then absolutely tank for a few seconds. Hopefully there will be some patches made in the near future, as I remember Zero Dawn having performance issues on PC at launch also.

Honestly, both Spider-Man remastered, and God of War run really well for me, as was Zero Dawn, but Rift Apart and now FW are both wonky, with the former running better than Forbidden West, but choking near the end of the game. You’re right, though; it seems like the more graphically ambitious a Sony game is, the less likely it’ll run well/stable on PC lol. Makes me wonder how GoT will run, and the likes of Ragnarok when it inevitably comes.

It’s just funny and amazing to have a massive, open world, current gen only Ubisoft game with the best visual fidelity on the market thus far in Avatar, run better and put less stress on my PC than a two year old Sony exclusive.
yeah, avatar is an insanely polished game. probably the only game aside from FF16 on PS5 that ran perfect for me since day one. No bugs, expected performance from my 3080, no CPU bottlenecks. no vram issues on my 10GB card. crazy that it came from ubisoft in a year that was arguably the worst for PC ports since the ps360 days and managed to look better than all the other buggy unoptimized cross gen trash out there.

Last edited:

JCreasy

Literally every major studio does mocap and face scans. I find it hilarious that the things callisto does right are being used to diss it.

Almost every third party is using hollywood actors nowadays for both facial capture and mocap. The only difference between sony and third party studios that hire hollywood talent is that sony hires no name people for face models so they dont have to pay them much, and then have voice actors do the mocapping. Aloy, Dina, Abby, MJ are all face scanned. Id rather have hollywood talent do the mocapping so that the raw facial animations are applied 1:1 to the face instead of having a bunch of animators taking facial capture data of an actress who looks nothing like the face model or the ingame character and hack it in.

1943, Death Stranding and Callisto did it right. ND and GG animators did a phenomenal job with hand key'ing in the facial animations but this is the best way to go about capturing facial data and removing the middle man animators altogether.

kojima is using metahuman tech for this next game. looks phenomenal. and the game is going to be phenomenal, but some people will dismiss it because they used hollywood actors and actual next gen facial capture tech because why praise people who actually put in the effort into cutscenes and production values.

LLyBXWo.gif

I don’t ever think I caught the swallow after the drag on the cigarette before.

Fucking SUPERB!

And the glance.

Incredible.

I want ALL OF THIS in the games I play.

CamHostage

With respect to 3Lateral, I was specifically talking about their ML rig used in 1946 (and I suspect they may be using the same kind of rig for Hellblade 2). The panel they participated in at GDC gave a brief explainer as to why what we're seeing in the trailer looks so good -- what makes it different from the generic output you mentioned above.

Hmm, I'll try to follow up, but there's some overlapping and jumps to conclusions that's confusing me a bit... are you talking about the face motion capture gear rig, or the digital rig for outputting the characters?

The facial rig that 3Lateral uses (which I believe is actually built by Cubic Motion, who has now become 3Lateral's partner at Epic) is state-of-the-art and proprietary... but it's also not that different from what other studios use/experiment with in mocap. It's a camera or two mounted on a helmet, and it watches your face, sometimes with markers, nowadays hopefully not, to record facial performance. (If you want to get into it, there's a $250 device by professional studio Rokoko which just mounts on an iPhone and gets useable results; it even can integrate into a MetaHuman.)

The digital rig is, largely, Epic's MetaHuman system. MetaHuman is the culmination of all the years 3Lateral spent building a face recreation framework (with physics-based animation and ML deforming), which led to them being bought by Epic in 2019. Much of their technology and creation system was condensed into a single turnkey character creation system for both professional and amateur designers called MetaHuman. All of 3Lateral's digital character experience is infused into MetaHuman, but that doesn't doesn't mean that for example Aloy is a MetaHuman, despite shared DNA in the process of her creation. There are different parts of the 3Lateral service system to utilize or replace per project/developer.

Even with MetaHuman characters though, the model rig is just the beginning of the process. Actors get scanned, then they still need to be modeled (both to apply the scan data to the model rig but also to modify the unwanted or incongruent aspects of the scan,) then they still need to be textured (even though the scan captured the real person, PBR and subsurface scattering depth and wrinkles and even blood flow maps need to be laid into the texture, plus skin just needs to be retouched despite the fact that it's captured from the real character,) then they still need to be rigged for motion (because eyes move differently and teeth may stretch the mouth and just whatever generic aspect the model starts with is not going to be good enough to actually work for character needs,) and then the model still needs to be animated (because once it can move its eyes and flap its gums and do all the things that the mocap character captured, you then have to have it act out the scene, and a photorealistic character still often needs to reprocess the mocap data in order to actually get into all the positions and make all the expressions that the actor gives in their performance.) Even with all the impressive capacity of the MetaHuman system, it still takes skill, budget, time, and reworking to make it look as elite as Hellblade 2 or Marvel 1943.

They're essentially creating a custom trained rig for a specific actor, if I understand it correctly. The actor does a series of expressions for a rig that was scanned and mapped to their face specifically. Basically, only that actor can use that rig (this is, of course, a departure from the Guerrilla Studios implementation, in where they scanned the face of a Norwegian actress, but they're using Ashly Burch for all the performance capture that animates that face).

Maybe you could point to the part of the Epic presentation where they talked about this, but not that I know of?

Neither the capture cams or the digital model rig would be wholly unique to only one performer, though both would also be customized for each use. There's "one MetaHuman", in that there's eyes and a mouth and skin that moves how we know these things to move, but then that just serves as the underlying structure and foundation of movement for everything you customize and attach from a scan to make a character look unique or like a person. And there can be aspects of the MetaHuman rig rerigged specifically for a performer's personality and body, so say Stallone was made into a MetaHuman, you would build the affects of Bell's Palsy scarring into the MetaHuman's range of expression and mouth quirks, but you would still start with the same mannequin.

You can take data intended for one MetaHuman and do some work to assign it to a different model. It's just mocap data and audio, you might need to retrain or might have other issues of incompatibilities but the basics in the model are still there, even if the MetaHuman isn't human...

I think what you're saying is that at one point, Ziva might have been completely capable of offering this exact service given that they were also using machine learning to train rigs. You say this is what was used for the Ogre we see in Hellblade 2. Sad to hear that Ziva is no more.

The Ogre in Hellblade 2 is a different toolset at Ziva; it was their Ziva VFX body deformation sim system. They took a standard body shape, changed factors on its gravity and body mass to account for it being many times bigger and heavier than a normal human, added drippy and droopy bits of flesh and gristle, did hand-made animation of that model to approximate how they want it to perform, then fed it into a machine-learning system to crunch all the data of how all the muscles would move and how the fat would shift and how the dangling flesh would contract or swing with every little move of its massive bulk, and the result is a realistic ogre that can act out a scene in realtime. Some of these same systems are in their Face Trainer (and the ogre's face was I assume using performance capture mixed with

I guess what I was trying to say was that we know from the leaks that Insomniac was chasing a level of fidelity they saw in Hellblade 2. I think it's fair to assume they were talking about the facial fidelity.

They were talking shop for producers. It's not that they saw Hellblade 2 and thought, Oh shit, we need that or else we'll suck. (Also, they have "that" already; they've worked with the same companies that NT does.) They were setting a standard of conversation for the project, so that everybody involved in the production and management knew the goal (and also have an idea of budget and studios to prepare the project for, since they have insight into what it cost and who did the work to achieve those Hellblade results.)

When I think about what really sets Hellblade 2 apart, it's those facial animations blended with photorealistic materials. That's what makes everybody say "wow." Maybe there are other vendors that could help them achieve that for Wolverine, but we KNOW that 3Lateral has nailed it with their ML rigs. And now that Ziva has dissolved, I gotta imagine 3Lateral is still among the best.

Among the best, sure. Probably the best overall, particularly in the interactive field. (There's a reason Epic bought them.) But there are a bazillion companies on the market doing all kinds of bits of work that is advanced and good for developers, and most of them fly totally off the public's radar. You yourself said you have never heard of 3Lateral until just now. There are lots of companies out there doing work you will never know about on products you still will enjoy. (Probably also 3Lateral has sub-subcontractor studios doing some of the work on the photographic materials or animation resolving or other detail work, so some of the work you are wowed by could be by someone outside 3Lateral.)

I hear what you're saying. 3Lateral alone doesn't make characters look "wow." There are other contributing factors, including the capabilities of the teams leveraging what they provide. I get that. The point I'm making is that I've seen 3Lateral's services contribute to the best gen 9 character models we've seen so far: Hellblade 2 and 1946...Their implementation, when leveraged correctly, gets groundbreaking results.

Eh, but what I'm saying is that the best results come from the best talent funded by the best warchest so they can go out and get the best subcontract service providers in the field while spend the most time working on the product. 3Lateral already has a rolodex of masters (Insomniac, Kojima Productions, Ninja Theory, Guerrilla, Capcom, Sony Santa Monica, Epic of course, Andy Serkis even, but it's bit of a Chicken-or-the-Egg situation. Did the best-looking games ever made come from great developers gestating their creation using 3Lateral's tech, or did 3Lateral's tech elevate itself because great developers used it to hatch the best-looking games ever made? It's a little of both, but it's not a matter of like ILM or Bust.

Also, as far as MetaHumans... I'm going to timestamp this and see if the prediction comes true, but I do think it's possible that we'll get a little sick of or used to "the look of MetaHumans", the way we have some other Unreal Engine tools. (I feel like I can spot Nanite artifacts already in fast motion, though I don't know if that's just errors from it being early implementation or if micropolygon tessellation will always have some slight tell to its shift... or if I'm just a kook imagining problems.) Maybe the flexibility will be so robust that there won't be visible patterns, but I have a feeling we are over time going to be able to tell a MetaHuman from a different character model/performance base. And if that happens, we're going to appreciate the studios which didn't just use "the best" as if MetaHuman was an industry standard. But we'll see about that...

Last edited:

JCreasy

Maybe you could point to the part of the Epic presentation where they talked about this, but not that I know of?

Neither the capture cams or the digital model rig would be wholly unique to only one performer, though both would also be customized for each use.

Best Friends Friend GIF by PermissionIO

You’re officially my favorite Gaffer.

I’m going to dig into everything else you have here tomorrow because it’s awesome.

Here is the panel I was talking about where Marko Brkovic from 3Lateral discusses the 4D ML rig being custom for the performer. Scrub to 51:31.

The whole panel is awesome, but this particular section where Marko discusses how the highest fidelity rig works goes into detail about how the trained rig can only work with the performer it’s mapped to.

Marko’s entire section begins at 40:22. He talks all about the various systems they provide.

Last edited:

Hollywood actors just bloat the budget.

CamHostage

Here is the panel I was talking about where Marko Brkovic from 3Lateral discusses the 4D ML rig being custom for the performer. Scrub to 51:31.

The whole panel is awesome, but this particular section where Marko discusses how the highest fidelity rig works goes into detail about how the trained rig can only work with the performer it’s mapped to.

Oh, sure, this sounds like what I was talking about Stallone being a modifying performer for the model. The Rigging and Animation process take the base model and add in specifics from the actor; the machine is trained on the performance of the actor to capture details about how they move and the way they make sounds (and the sounds they make), and then adjusts the rig for what the performer will be doing with it. How they smile, how they blink when upset, how they curl their lips when mad, how their mouth moves when they make a "Pih" or "Oh" sound, all that little stuff that the generic model may not have in its databanks, whether or not it has the muscle range to do those actions. When a figure is customized to a performer, an animated face based on Anne Hathaway performs differently than a reserved face based on Gal Gadot; switch them, and you have a total disconnect (and maybe even some motions that the rig doesn't understand since it was added specifically for an actor based on training or animation, like their way of rolling Rs or popping their eyes.)

So in Marvel 1943, that's not just a MetaHuman with a Khary Payton skin; it's Khary Payton's MetaHuman.

When you see mocap, it seems an A-to-Z done process, -- the computer sees your face, and so it replicates that face with a rig that just mimics you exactly. But there's a ton in between that A and Z, and the computer needs to know how your face gets from still to squinted to stretched; it can do it generically, just hitting the poses and tweening the difference, and that's good enough for people fooling around or for flat characters, but if you want it to really act like you, you want it to know you.

Last edited:

Flabagast

When can we hope to get a first look at Witcher 5 ? This year or the next ?

I guess it will be the best looking game bar GTA6 when it is shown

SlimySnake

When can we hope to get a first look at Witcher 5 ? This year or the next ?

I guess it will be the best looking game bar GTA6 when it is shown
they said that they are still in pre-production lol

but apparently 300 devs have been working on it for the past 3 years so who knows. they are also switching engines so that might have also cost them some time. my guess is vga 2024.

After cyberpunk 2 most probably.
No The Witcher 4 "Project Sirius" is their next game and CD Projekt said to not expect the game before 2025. Right now most of the studio is on The Witcher :
hLimsxp.png

CD Projekt said that the game will enter into full-production this year, so at best it will release in 2026.

They are building a new studio in Boston who will be working on the sequel of Cyberpunk, it's really far away.

My bad you were talking about The Witcher 5 🤣

Last edited:
Top Bottom