• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Coalition - tech test in UE5

Status
Not open for further replies.

cormack12

Gold Member
thank you
b31b6fe4a32e777f7e3595a6c4f51f78.gif

Darsxx82

A project of The Coalition different from Gears is already necessary.

It is clear that Gears 6 should come out first (and it will surely look exceptional in UE5), but I hope that they are already incubating a new IP and let the Gears franchise rest.

PS. I already know the rumors about a second "minor" TC project, but I want a AAA project with the maximum possible production values.

CamHostage

Looks really nice, the lighting is super active and the character model looks great. The Landscape demo also has a nice look to it, with a more weather-worn feel to it than most Quixel kitbash projects.

Still... this is what I expected (or at least was hoping) the Alpha Point demo was going to be last year.

Almost a year ago, The Coalition were Epic's guest at a GDC 2021 conference presentation, and they brought two demos as a showcase and lecture subject. One was a small section of a temple that led up to a fire effect, and the second was a character demo (using the same beardy model shown in the new demo they have here.) It was nice design and they had a great talk about the experience working with UE5, but the Alpha Point demo was small (not even the scale of just one room from Epic's own Valley of the Ancients demo) and short, and the character model was just a head (and had already integrated some parts of MetaHumans, which is interesting that they kept going because they kind of dismissed MetaHuman as not really being right for their level of production, which is still a little bit the case that they only use eyes and some of the rig but it seems they invested more.) By the time Coalition showed its work, there were already more visually appealing UE5 Early Access projects done by indie designers at home (though not as professionally produced; these UE5 EA projects were largely just cramming together available assets and playing with lighting, not usually producing unique assets or effects, but still, the indies had more exciting things to watch at the time.)

It's great that The Coalition has had and has shown all this experience with UE5 (they were one of the first to get their hands on UE5 in November of 2020, and did some prep work in UE4 that previous Fall in anticipation of having pre-Early Access access,) these demos and also their involvement in Matrix Awakens is getting them in good shape to make games with UE5. Still, I want them making games on UE5 already, I hope some of these demos are parts of a project they're actually working on.

Last edited:

Kacho

I wish MS would let these guys do something else. Gears 5 was excellent on a technical level and looked amazing but I just don’t care about Gears anymore. They are a very talented studio.
I thought they were rumored to be working on a new IP.

Agreed though. Gears needs to be retired. If you aren't going to embrace the testosterone laced broness the series is known for why even bother? No one cares about conflicted Kait or her non-sexually threatening friends. The gameplay is stale as fuck too.

Isn’t that Fortnite? That’s already unreal 5
Yea, technically... but I'm looking for something that implements and shows off all the new tricks of the engine. Fortnite benefited from it, but probably on the back end and we wouldn't be able to "see" it per se at least not as an entire package, unless they release an update that overhauls the entire look/art style of the game... that would be kinda crazy.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Yea, technically... but I'm looking for something that implements and shows off all the new tricks of the engine. Fortnite benefited from it, but probably on the back end and we wouldn't be able to "see" it per se.

Yeah agreed although i hope as the engine grows and last gen consoles get phased out we may see more bells and whistles of the engine in Fortnite to even with its simplistic graphics

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
Remember the days of Unreal5 demo and people saying it couldn’t run on Xbox lol. This engine gonna be amazing for developers On all consoles

Lol, then you didn't understand it. Nobody ever said that UE5 wouldn't run on Xbox? Did you missed the Matrix Demo or something? Why still starting this kind of nonsense? Does the first demo still hurt people or something jeezz?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Lol, then you didn't understand it. Nobody ever said that UE5 wouldn't run on Xbox? Did you missed the Matrix Demo or something? Why still starting this kind of nonsense? Does the first demo still hurt people or something jeezz?

Coarse i understood it, its just funny to think back befor the consoles launched dont you think.

Yeah agreed although i hope as the engine grows and last gen consoles get phased out we may see more bells and whistles of the engine in Fortnite to even with its simplistic graphics
Agreed. I think an overhaul of Fortnite, keeping the same art style, would be massive. I usually don't like the term "simplistic" just cause it sounds negative, but I think games with that kind of art style will benefit immensely.

Last edited:

Dr Bass

Demo looks good, but things are starting to not look like the leap that the very first demo felt like. Partially because we are seeing things like Horizon FW, Forza Horizon 5, and the Unreal Matrix demo. Just continually showing demos in the same engine after that big reveal feels a bit anti climactic.

Time to start showing real games in production.

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
Agreed. I think an overhaul of Fortnite, keeping the same art style, would be massive. I usually don't like the term "simplistic" just cause it sounds negative, but I think games with that kind of art style will benefit immensely.

Yeah wasnt meaning simplistic in a bad way, i just think they can do a lot with the art style and ramp up more effects and stuff

Fredrik

Looks amazing! 👌

I wish MS would let these guys do something else. Gears 5 was excellent on a technical level and looked amazing but I just don’t care about Gears anymore. They are a very talented studio.
I liked Gears 5 a lot, the action was great and Jack gameplay made it more strategic, it’s one of my fav Gears games, really liked some of the new enemies too.

It needed more stuff on the open maps though, as most games, and more enemy variety, again as most games, sigh.

The choice was not smart. It’s just a cheap way to add emotions that’ll only complicate their next game. Feels like it’s a 50/50 split among gamers but the devs clearly wanted to erase JD, and now they need to have two story lines going forward or has to start fresh with an all new cast. Bad idea.

Snake29

RSI Employee of the Year
You must of missed a lot of the posts back then when they said a lot of the features couldnt be run on Xbox because of the SSD in the PS5 and yes they said the demo couldn’t be run. This isnt console warring its just funny when you look back at what was said at the time

I missed nothing, and i say it again. Nobody ever said UE5 was exclusive for the PS5. That demo was build for the PS5, and we've never seen it running on the Xbox, so yes we don't know this same demo would run. In the meantime, we have been playing the Matrix demo and you still go back butthurt for the first demo?

I think you misunderstood the whole conversation. UE5 is scalable, doesn't mean the performance will be the same on every platform, just check The Matrix demo.

Don't start making a fool of yourself, to bring this up again.

Akuji

This is probably the last gen we See demos like that. It looks incredible but i dont take anything from it. What Do they wanna Show? All i can Do is judge the art because when it Comes to the technical stuff ive seen so much awesome stuff that this is only another Thing. The Face reveal is like the nathan drake showing on ps4. Sure it Was never in that quality ingame on ps4 but this probably wont either. If so then the game will wow me not this tech Demo....

jose4gg

Doesnt look as good as the Epic demos. Are they using nanite?

Character models and especially the environments look fairly cross gen compared to the Matrix and the first two UE5 demos.

I was going to say this, there are some weird artifacts in the lightning and in the assets that don't look quite as good as the first epic demo or the one released on PC.

kingfey

Banned
Can someone explain to me as non-tech guy, how this improves next gen games?

Can it make next gen games, much better than what we have now?

Last edited:

phil_t98

#SonyToo
I missed nothing, and i say it again. Nobody ever said UE5 was exclusive for the PS5. That demo was build for the PS5, and we've never seen it running on the Xbox, so yes we don't know this same demo would run. In the meantime, we have been playing the Matrix demo and you still go back butthurt for the first demo?

I think you misunderstood the whole conversation. UE5 is scalable, doesn't mean the performance will be the same on every platform, just check The Matrix demo.

not at all and like I said the posts about features of Unreal 5 and the demo not being able to run on the xbox was immense. the thread will still be here if you want to go look at it

and I aint the one warring I just said its funny to think back on before you got offended

Last edited:
This isn't a tech demo... it's a tech test.

There's actually a big difference there... This wasn't meant to be a massive showcase for UE5... it's meant for The Coalition to internally test things.

CamHostage

Doesnt look as good as the Epic demos. Are they using nanite?

Character models and especially the environments look fairly cross gen compared to the Matrix and the first two UE5 demos.

If Alpha Point is anything to go on, they're making all the assets, rather than kitbashing Quixel Megascans and existing models. The point of their demos seems to have been to do it all for real, not just to get up-and-running anything you can get running on the engine (Epic has already done that work.) These demos weren't made to maximize the engine, they're just putting to work some of its new functions and capabilities within their current work experience in a small-scale demo (although I'm still kind of wary that The Coalition is still making demos, I'd hope they were knee-deep in a game production by now) so that they have a handle on what's ahead in their next actual game.

But also, Matrix and the two UE5 demos were all 20-30+GBs of raw assets (Matrix was 30GB compressed to the game app, it's 85GB of uncompressed/uncompiled material on the asset store and that's without the Matrix intro or playable action scene.) That's a ton of materials for only small portions of "games". Actual games will need to fit lots more than that on a 50GB BD, or 100-200GB of a download (even pushing 100GB is extreme, these consoles have 2/3s to even 1/2 a TB onboard storage right now.) UE5 is going to do great things for games, but the idea that we're waiting for a miracle and that everything is "cross-gen" until the great UE5 hope comes along and ushers in "true next-gen", that's probably a misunderstanding of what to expect.

Last edited:

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
Meh. Not overly impressed.

First scene is super basic, 2nd scene is yet another rocky landscape... the thing that Nanite does really well because as we saw with the Matrix demo it works great provided the geometry is totally static... and the third thing is just a cinematic. So not neccessarily real-time.

kingfey

Banned

You must have been sleeping for a long time then.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom