• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Gears 6 to be 60fps (Coalition is using UE5)

ManaByte

Renowned child-shamer insider on the other site Shinobi is claiming that Gears 6 is going to go for 60fps as opposed to a cinematic 30fps.

ixiLgsa.png

Original post.

Coalition is using UE5 for the game, and they're wizards with UE4 so maybe they found some optimization buried in it.

Chukhopops

The MP part would feel horrible at 30 fps so it makes sense.

Wouldn’t be surprised if SP had a 30 fps option to squeeze more graphical juice out of it - Gears 4 had one for example.

ChiefDada

Gold Member
This is great news, if true. I'm genuinely curious to see how a 1st party 60fps game with Coalition fidelity performs across Series X and S. And yes, I will be port begging for a PS5 Pro version.

Very interested to see what happens with Gears 6. I feel like more open world is the wrong way to take the series. But I have a massive soft spot for gears so will always give it a chance.

StueyDuck

I mean... there's plenty of games proving a performance/resolution is possible.

It's only been HB2 and starfield that have shat the bed.

This isn't really indicative of anything to be honest 🤷‍♂️

If it is really 60 fps then I am curious what Coalition were able to achieve. I guess without advanced lighting techniques? Because I don't see any hardware (aside 4090+) is capable of running it at 60 fps like.

Embearded

I hope they make it.
I have no interest in the game, but someone out there needs to prove to the rest of the developers that it can be done and releasing 720p raster games is not acceptable.

It's almost like the devs making their games 30FPS only are just lazy and untalented or something and it has nothing to do with the actual hardware

Darsxx82

The MP has to be 60fps, but not the SP.

Perhaps having to optimize for MP 60fps has helped them offer a performance mode. The question is how far the graphical cuts will go compared to the 30fps mode because there is no doubt that there will be some.

Personally I would prefer that the development of the campaign mode be done based on 30fps and push UE5 to the maximum (which is an evolving engine) on console (which has a limit) and that the 60fps mode be the extra.

The MP has to be 60fps, but not the SP.

Perhaps having to optimize for MP 60fps has helped them offer a performance mode. The question is how far the graphical cuts will go compared to the 30fps mode because there is no doubt that there will be some.

Personally I would prefer that the development of the campaign mode be done based on 30fps and push UE5 to the maximum (which is an evolving engine) on console (which has a limit) and that the 60fps mode be the extra.
The MP will probably go up to 120fps like Gears 5 does on Series X and S. There's no need to gimp the campaign with 30fps, The Coalition know what they are doing with UE.

Three

UE5 supports 60fps on consoles.
It has already been done, see Immortals of Aveum but it has an obvious cost.
Robocop Rouge City is UE5 60fps on console too. I have no doubt Coalition will put out a technically glorious looking game though. They're a talented studio.

Darsxx82

The MP will probably go up to 120fps like Gears 5 does on Series X and S. There's no need to gimp the campaign with 30fps, The Coalition know what they are doing with UE.

I highly doubt that will happen. In fact UE5 currently does not even have support for 120hz on console. Unless you use the Fornite formula where the 120hz mode is painful and does not use a single UE5 feature.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Couldnt care less about 60 fps. Thats not what matters in 2024. Gaming studios need to think bigger than that. Give me physics based stuff not possible last gen. Give me AI not possible last gen. Give me game design not possible last gen.

60 fps was possible on the PS1. Who gives a shit. Utilize these consoles to give us what we've been lacking. Gears is a stale and boring franchise. The last one was 60 fps on the X1X. Didnt help one bit. Game came and went without any fanfare. Make it different. Make it feel next gen in ways we cant even imagine.

I know this isnt coming from Coalition, but this 60 fps or bust nonsense from gamers is missing the forest for the trees.

Top Bottom