• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Gears 6 to be 60fps (Coalition is using UE5)

Black_Stride

do not tempt fate do not contrain Wonder Woman's thighs do not do not
Gears would be stupid at 30.

I would rather they use UE3 than run it at 30 fps.
Only one Gears campaign has launched with 60fps.
All the others got 60fps through new hardware.
Gears 4 got 60fps with the One X
Gears 1 - 3 through FPS boost.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Paying $499 for hardware in 2020 and demanding 120 fps in a next gen only game.

For both consoles, Zen 2 was the best available AMD CPU generation that could make the Q4 2020 launch.

Any gamer who absolutely needs framerates > 60fps should be investing in a PC.
People act like Zen 2 is now a shit CPU. It's still a very capable CPU even for PC. It's not the best by any means and it was disappointing that Sony didn't (rumored) upgrade the CPU for the PS5 Pro. But it's hardly a dogshit CPU that some are now claiming it is.

OverHeat

« generous god »
People act like Zen 2 is now a shit CPU. It's still a very capable CPU even for PC. It's not the best by any means and it was disappointing that Sony didn't (rumored) upgrade the CPU for the PS5 Pro. But it's hardly a dogshit CPU that some are now claiming it is.
Zen 2 cpu ok, but mobile is dog shit

Topher

Gold Member
Hope it will be Xbox console 100% exclusive....Fuck those PS5 Pro retards (i have PS5, but really hate those people).

Come On Reaction GIF by MOODMAN

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
30 fps campaign quality mode -60 fps performancemode/60 fps mandatory multiplayer would be fine...If they make good use of UE5. Hope it will be Xbox console 100% exclusive....Fuck those PS5 Pro retards (i have PS5, but really hate those people).
It won't be. It will be on PC, too.

People tend to shit on Rod Ferguson, but he and Coalition did a thing that 343 wasn't able to do with Halo after Bungie left, which is make fun games. You can call the new Gears woke or whatever, but at least they did not retcon the entire plot after each game (My brother in Christ ,5 retconned 4, and Infinite then skipped plot points / retconned 5). The games were fun, and do not require to read a comic book or a prequel book. I love those two new games, and they have their faults, but my god the Xbox people need to look at whats been done to Halo and how the new GOW two games are and bless their gods.

Last edited:

Kydd BlaZe

Hivebusters was amazeballs. Such a shame that Microsoft didn't really push it as a system seller for the XSX. Really looking forward to Gears 6 though.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
30 fps campaign quality mode -60 fps performancemode/60 fps mandatory multiplayer would be fine...If they make good use of UE5. Hope it will be Xbox console 100% exclusive....Fuck those PS5 Pro retards (i have PS5, but really hate those people).

d3dff8eb-1516-4bce-b29b-c4a6e4774a22_text.gif

Games are not designed around frame rate. See below. Achieving 60fps is done first by lowering the resolution and then tweaking settings. This is exactly what PC gamers do all the time. And I am getting this from developers. Here is Remedy saying exactly what I am saying in their discussion with IGN this last year.

"When you start making a game, the first discussion isn't about the frame rate. It is about what kind of game you are going to make. And then, later down the line, it is what kind of game play will it have. Is it fast paced and all that which means you probably want a higher frame rate"

This just reads like frame-rate does dictate the kind of game being made, lowering resolution etc can help in GPU stressed scenarios but even that developer says they don't really have any tricks for CPU usage reduction.

-

Gears 5 had multiple open zones, which probably eat up more CPU, hence One X was able to do 60 FPS where One S wasn't (cause it's not just a better GPU there, it also had a 30% faster CPU).

The Coalition have been embedded in UE5 in so far as their work helps Epic with optimization, their 2021 Alpha Point demo was reportedly running at around ~46 FPS running at 1440p which was upscaled to 4K with UE5's impressive TSR, this is more than a whole year before Epic optimized UE5 enough that Lumen and Nanite could run at 60 FPS on console.

tl-dr I think The Coalition shouldn't / wouldn't have any issues hitting 60 FPS, if they're optimizing the shit out of it, they might even be able to get a 60+ fps unlocked mode in Multiplayer.

Xaeroxcore666

Neo Member
It won't be. It will be on PC, too.
Yes, but if they want to at least keep alive Xbox consoles for what is left for this generation, they should "force" someway people to buy the hardware....Otherwise people is gonna keep saying, why should i buy an Xbox, if i can play the same "exclusive" catalogue on PC day one and on gamepass? (i am one of those people, thats why current gen i have PS5, switch and PC) at least they gotta try make it console time exclusive and release for PC 1 year later.

Arcane0ne

For gears 6 i want a modernized arquitectural style,more agile controls,remove the "open world" zones,bring back JD as a protagonist and add more blood,flesh,guts,mutilated corpses and good multiplayer modes,full customizable characters for online,unlockables,skins,maps,weapons...

Topher

Gold Member
This just reads like frame-rate does dictate the kind of game being made, lowering resolution etc can help in GPU stressed scenarios but even that developer says they don't really have any tricks for CPU usage reduction.

What you underlined literally says frame rate being decided based on the type of game. Where does Remedy talk about CPU usage reduction at all? He says the CPU was "fine".

Yes, but if they want to at least keep alive Xbox consoles for what is left for this generation, they should "force" someway people to buy the hardware....Otherwise people is gonna keep saying, why should i buy an Xbox, if i can play the same "exclusive" catalogue on PC day one and on gamepass? (i am one of those people, thats why current gen i have PS5, switch and PC) at least they gotta try make it console time exclusive and release for PC 1 year later.

That ain't happening, thankfully. It will be day one on PC Game Pass and Steam. Phil Spencer has said countless times they don't want to "force" people to buy Xbox.

Don't necessarily disagree on anything you said about The Coalition. I'm expecting their games to be 60fps on Xbox.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I’ll be on pc so I’ll get good frames either way but I’m more worried about the direction of the franchise.

This is really make or break for them. No cliffy, no Rod, and new leadership. Left alone for many years to make what could be the end to the current gears story started with gears 1.

MP has changed drastically since gears 5. Monetizing, updating, and more.

I wish them a lot of luck… they’ll need it to try to bring new players in but keep OG fans there to have gnasher wars.

Pop

Do you want the game to make money or not...

Its that simple

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Rod killed Diablo.
Rod didn’t kill shit lol. The people working on it before he got brought in and had to paste together whatever the fuck they handed him, “killed” it.

They keep course correcting and fixing the issues. Rod is doing a fantastic job considering the dumpster fire he inherited.

Unless I have it wrong but I’m certain he came into the project lead role after game was mostly done.

Now if the expansion is total shit blame him for sure.

Last edited:

adamsapple

What you underlined literally says frame rate being decided based on the type of game. Where does Remedy talk about CPU usage reduction at all? He says the CPU was "fine"

Right, that's what I said as well. I don't think it's as easy as moving some sliders. Using Hellblade as an example, that is a much slower paced game where any fight you have will be 1 on 1 and the focal point of the game is exploring the environments, so at that point Ninja Theory opted to keep it at 30 to maximize the visual splendor.

Gears is a fast paced shooter so 60 FPS makes a lot more sense here. Is Coalition going to be able to achieve it while retaining a visual bar? I would like to see their attempt.

For reference, this was the last UE5 demo they created sometime early 2022.

Topher

Gold Member
Right, that's what I said as well. I don't think it's as easy as moving some sliders. Using Hellblade as an example, that is a much slower paced game where any fight you have will be 1 on 1 and the focal point of the game is exploring the environments, so at that point Ninja Theory opted to keep it at 30 to maximize the visual splendor.

Gears is a fast paced shooter so 60 FPS makes a lot more sense here. Is Coalition going to be able to achieve it while retaining a visual bar? I would like to see their attempt.

For reference, this was the last UE5 demo they created sometime early 2022.

"frame-rate does dictate the kind of game being made" is the opposite of "frame rate being decided based on the type of game". If that is what you meant to say then that's fine. I'd say a game where exploration is involved should have a performance option. Literally is adjusting settings and resolution. Hellblade 2 is going to run on Xbox Series S so that work is already being done. The Coalition is going to have to lower that "visual bar" for multiplayer so again we are not talking about any additional effort for a performance mode.

Last edited:

Zuzu

I would like to see what The Coalition can do if they attempted to maximise visual fidelity. That would require 30fps. But I also prefer the playability and visual fluidity of 60fps which does benefit the 3rd person shooter genre considerably.

They should make a Gears survival horror spinoff game and push visuals to the maximum in that.

Last edited:
The First Descendant uses UE5 and was able to hit 60fps on consoles.

I played the PS5 beta version last year and it ran very smoothly on my PS5 though the game still ran at much higher framerates on my PC. The idea that UE5 games can't run at 60fps on consoles because games like Hellblade 2 are stuck at 30fps is a myth.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Of course games are made around the framerate when the console is the baseline (so 99% of the case).

Gta6 would be a different game if it was made around 60 fps, that game is barely gonna be able to keep stable 30 fps like rdr2 did.

Why is this even a discussion?

makaveli60

Of course games are made around the framerate when the console is the baseline (so 99% of the case).

Gta6 would be a different game if it was made around 60 fps, that game is barely gonna be able to keep stable 30 fps like rdr2 did.

Right? It’s nuts. I guess it comes from closeminded pcmr types who know nothing about consoles, I can’t find any other logical reason for it.

GymWolf

Right? It’s nuts. I guess it comes from closeminded pcmr types who know nothing about consoles, I can’t find any other logical reason for it.
Topher Topher is a good dude and i don't think he is a pcmr.

Some people are just overly optimistic when it comes to these cheap 500 dollars boxes, and devs say everything and the opposite of everything all the damn time when they have a narrative to prove.

There is stuff that you can turn down and make the game super scalable, but some things are rooted in the core of the game and they can't be changed because they would make a game sensibly different.

Chukhopops

Gears 6? I thought they were done with the story of Gears now and that hardly anyone was playing it online.
Gears 5 was active online pretty much until the last content update in early 2022, I know because I was still playing the MP PVE modes and you’d get lobbies any time of the day. It only started to die after that.

As for the 60 fps discussion it’s frankly ridiculous, I can’t think of even a single MP shooter today that is limited to 30 fps on consoles. It would be a complete non-starter to have an online shooter running at that frame rate in 2025 or so, you can’t add that kind of latency in online play.

Dibils2k

i honestly dont get console gamers who cry about "60fps or nothing!"... go buy a fucking PC :messenger_tears_of_joy: then you get people going "well this game looks amazing and is 60fps!" ... yeah the game that plays like PS3 game still with environments so static you can drop a nuke and nothing changes

one of the Gears had the right idea where campaign was 30fps and MP was 60fps

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member

No, it isn't. Remedy devs confirmed that it isn't. This discussion is pure speculation on the matter. Remedy ain't speculating. They are stating flatly that frame rate isn't even discussed about a game until much later after the game design is done.

You are ignoring words of an actual dev and yet I'm the closed minded one?
Animated GIF

Topher Topher is a good dude and i don't think he is a pcmr.

Some people are just overly optimistic when it comes to these cheap 500 dollars boxes, and devs say everything and the opposite of everything all the damn time when they have a narrative to prove.

There is stuff that you can turn down and make the game super scalable, but some things are rooted in the core of the game and they can't be changed because they would make a game sensibly different.

Are you saying Remedy is lying about frame rate's roll in a game's design to prove some narrative? Come on man.

I appreciate the kind words though

Last edited:

adamsapple

Gears 6? I thought they were done with the story of Gears now and that hardly anyone was playing it online.

Did you by chance finished Gears 5? The story ends in a very blatant cliffhanger.

No, it isn't. Remedy devs confirmed that it isn't. This discussion is pure speculation on the matter. Remedy ain't speculating. They are stating flatly that frame rate isn't even discussed about a game until much later after the game design is done.

Are you saying Remedy is lying about frame rate's roll in a game's design to prove some narrative? Come on man.

I think you're putting too much stock into one developers words. The process is very likely not the same for others and different kind of engines.

Last edited:

Animated GIF

One would imagine that it's different for every studio, wasn't it 343i that made the decision every Halo after Halo 4 would be 60fps? I'm sure I read that.

All this 60fps rubbish will go out the window when GTA 6 is 30fps (even on the PS5 PRO) and when Naughty Dog show their next game. It's simply about the level of fidelity these developers are aiming for and the specs they have to work with. You can't have super detailed graphics running at 60fps on these consoles unfortunately (without cutbacks).

Topher

Gold Member
One would imagine that it's different for every studio, wasn't it 343i that made the decision every Halo after Halo 4 would be 60fps? I'm sure I read that.

Perhaps, but Halo is a known quantity. Not like 343 said they had to redesign the games for 60 fps.

I think you're putting too much stock into one developers words. The process is very likely not the same for others and different kind of engines.

Better one developer's actual words than a few dozen guesses. That's all I'm seeing posted here. As far as you know the process is very much the same for other developers and engines. If you want to quote other developer's takes on it then I'd certainly love to read them though.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Better one developer's actual words than a few dozen guesses. That's all I'm seeing posted here. As far as you know the process is very much the same. If you want to quote other developer's takes on it then I'd certainly love to read them though.

Sure, here's a few dev commenting on targeting 30 FPS and not just it being toggles.

Topher

Gold Member
Sure, here's a few dev commenting on targeting 30 FPS and not just it being toggles.

Thanks for the links. What I'm reading in those are developers saying basically what is in that tweet. 60fps requries compromises to visual fidelity. No argument with that at all. I've said as much numerous times. The only difficulty stated is achieving 60fps while maintaining the visual fidelity. No argument there either. Exactly as Remedy said. To achieve 60fps, involves "tweaking those settings like texture detail, shadow detail, quality of the lighting".

From the kotaku article:

"So [to make] all those lights [work] with this fidelity means, I think, until the end of this system most people won't have any clue how to make that run 60 and look like this."

Highlighted the key words there. So if the argument you are trying to make with all this is that achieving 60fps is extremely difficult if devs want to maintain the same visual quality then I'm not disagreeing one bit. That would definitely require more than just a few setting changes and resolution reduction. That's not what I'm saying. That's not what Remedy said. In fact, unless I'm missing it, I'm not seeing anything in these links that disagrees with Remedy.

That Cities: Skyline is a 30fps game is a bit obvious. It is a simulation and the dev correctly says that 60fps wouldn't benefit the game. So again, the type of game determines the frame rate. Not the other way around.

"The target is 30fps because of the nature of the game"

Good stuff.

Last edited:

GymWolf

Animated GIF

I'm sorry but you are not gonna convince me that many aspects of a game are free in the rendering budget just because remedy say so.

Number of npcs, number of enemies, how elaborate is their ia, physics, interaction with the scenario and many other things need to be considered when you make a game from nothing.

Days gone biggest selling point were the hordes, the game was made around a ps4 being capable of rendering 500 zombies without letting the framerate go into single digit, they designed the game around 30 fps, if it was at 60, the hordes would be have been smaller.

Remedy always do small ass games, not open worlds, so maybe in their case is simpler, but with games with a lot of shit going on at any given moment, you can't just ignore that stuff and think about the framerate like it's the last thing.

Topher

Gold Member
I'm sorry but you are not gonna convince me that many aspects of a game are free in the rendering budget just because remedy say so.

Number of npcs, number of enemies, how elaborate is their ia, physics, interaction with the scenario and many other things need to be considered when you make a game from nothing.

Days gone biggest selling point were the hordes, the game was made around a ps4 being capable of rendering 500 zombies without letting the framerate go into single digit, they designed the game around 30 fps, if it was at 60, the hordes would be have been smaller.

Remedy always do small ass games, not open worlds, so maybe in their case is simpler, but with games with a lot of shit going on at any given moment, you can't just ignore that stuff and think about the framerate like it's the last thing.

Days Gone wasn't going to be 60fps on PS4 no matter how many zombies were in the hordes my man. Last gen's CPU mess is one of the reasons this gen has consoles designed to get past 30fps limitations and plenty of games, such as Days Gone, received 60fps patches since. Even Remedy's "small ass" Control had frame rate limitations last gen. That's not the case this gen for most games. CPU bound games are obviously going to have more issues getting higher frame rates on console and other games, such as Cities:Skylines, simply do not need higher frame rates. Most games are not CPU bound so that brings us back to games like Gears where the trade off is simply reducing resolution and settings to get higher frames that are needed in faster paced games like that. In those games, you are not going to convince me that you are losing anything gameplay-wise for 60fps. Visual fidelity? Yep. But that's it.

GymWolf

Days Gone wasn't going to be 60fps on PS4 no matter how many zombies were in the hordes my man. Last gen's CPU mess is one of the reasons this gen has consoles designed to get past 30fps limitations and plenty of games, such as Days Gone, received 60fps patches since. Even Remedy's "small ass" Control had frame rate limitations last gen. That's not the case this gen for most games. CPU bound games are obviously going to have more issues getting higher frame rates on console and other games, such as Cities:Skylines, simply do not need higher frame rates. Most games are not CPU bound so that brings us back to games like Gears where the trade off is simply reducing resolution and settings to get higher frames that are needed in faster paced games like that. In those games, you are not going to convince me that you are losing anything gameplay-wise for 60fps. Visual fidelity? Yep. But that's it.
Agree to disagree, you can tone down some aspects, not core aspects of a game.

Rockstar doesn't make and balance a whole game around a certain number of npcs, enemies, police etc. On screen just to notice 6 month before release during the refinement phase that they can't do all of that at 60 fps so now they have to reduce core aspects of the game and all the fine balancement related those aspects, it is not how it work.

Sorry, i just can't see it no matter what remedy says.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Agree to disagree, you can tone down some aspects, not core aspects of a game.

Rockstar doesn't make and balance a whole game around a certain number of npcs, enemies, police etc. On screen just to notice 6 month before release during the refinement phase that they can't do all of that at 60 fps so now they have to reduce core aspects of the game and all the fine balancement related those aspects, it is not how it work.

When I change settings on my PC, I don't reduce core aspects of the game. Only the visuals. Yeah, that's exactly how it works for devs. Not just going to dismiss an actual developers statements that say exactly that. Sorry, but none of us here are devs and anything we say is a complete guess.

But sure.....agree to disagree.

Top Bottom