• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Gears 6 to be 60fps (Coalition is using UE5)

GymWolf

Couldnt care less about 60 fps. Thats not what matters in 2024. Gaming studios need to think bigger than that. Give me physics based stuff not possible last gen. Give me AI not possible last gen. Give me game design not possible last gen.

60 fps was possible on the PS1. Who gives a shit. Utilize these consoles to give us what we've been lacking. Gears is a stale and boring franchise. The last one was 60 fps on the X1X. Didnt help one bit. Game came and went without any fanfare. Make it different. Make it feel next gen in ways we cant even imagine.

I know this isnt coming from Coalition, but this 60 fps or bust nonsense from gamers is missing the forest for the trees.
They have 2 routes:

Making the same game with updated graphic for the 7th time and make gears hardcore fanboy happy

Or, more risky, do a gow2018 overhaul and try to get new life in the franchise to catch both new people and old people.

Hopeully they do the latter because i can't play another old style gears with the fucking locusts as villains to save my life.

Last edited:

Lethal01

Couldnt care less about 60 fps. Thats not what matters in 2024. Gaming studios need to think bigger than that. Give me physics based stuff not possible last gen. Give me AI not possible last gen. Give me game design not possible last gen.

60 fps was possible on the PS1. Who gives a shit. Utilize these consoles to give us what we've been lacking. Gears is a stale and boring franchise. The last one was 60 fps on the X1X. Didnt help one bit. Game came and went without any fanfare. Make it different. Make it feel next gen in ways we cant even imagine.

I know this isnt coming from Coalition, but this 60 fps or bust nonsense from gamers is missing the forest for the trees.

Shooters need to be 60fps higher would be preferable

Oh thank you! That is really what MS needs right now. Not a graphical powerhouse to win people over, but a slightly smoother frame rate!

That'll sell consoles! Whatch out PlayStation!!!

What MS needs is good games and if you want a shooter to be worthwhile you make it 60fps at least.

Buggy Loop

"Don't worry" for console gamers is like 40 fps VRR as being an acclaimed feature so... much extrapolation to say it'll be 60 fps

rm082e

I couldn't disagree more when it comes to frame rate. After playing every game at 60 on the PC, I don't want any console games if they're going to run at 30. The only game I've suffered through 30fps is Bloodborne. Even then, I don't want to play it anymore because it's just so bad.

I'm all for the Performance and Quality modes. Use Quality to do all the bells and whistles and/or a higher resolution. But strip those things out and provide a rock solid 60fps for the Performance mode. Then we both get what we want.

As for using that GPU power to do new things, the PC is the cutting edge. Shit like PhysX, TressFX in Tomb Raider, all the ray tracing stuff we're seeing now - it's all there on the PC. Personally, I've never found any of it to contribute to gameplay in any way. Most of the time it just looks funky and makes the frame rate worse.

GymWolf

Season 5 Nbc GIF by The Office
55ef012b-b2bc-4572-ab15-e6ffab190f32_text.gif

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent

AI has been not of a concern since Xbox 360.

No developer is talking about or pushing intelligent AI in games.

Topher

Gold Member
I believe they worked with Epic on the engine heavily too. Didn’t they both create the Matrix demo?

Yes

makaveli60

So let’s forget technical progress and expect a slightly better looking Gears 5, wonderfl… this 60fps fetishism is not helping this already boring gen of consoles. Do you guys want to play lastgen games until the end of time just so you have 60 fps?

saintjules

His 4 year old son saw a black man and asked his parents why he was black. So he blasted his own son on social media for being a racist. All to earn some internet cred among his bubble.

Yeah was just hearing about this. Didn't find anything online - maybe deleted.

GametimeUK

Do you guys want to play lastgen games until the end of time just so you have 60 fps?

I don't want to play "next gen" games with last gens framerates. I think we can have some incredible looking games that also run at 60fps. I personally don't want anything better looking if it comes at the expense of performance.

We all have different tolerance levels, but 30fps honestly just looks broken to me now.

60fps is the bare minimum. If you are suggesting lower FPS for more fidelity and physics...that's just a ridiculously out of touch position to take.

He publicly shamed his own kid on Twitter for being racist. "Batman's black! You like Batman, don't you?"

Does anyone have links to this? It's so hilarious and pathetic of a grown man to do this.

Last edited:

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
I couldn't disagree more when it comes to frame rate. After playing every game at 60 on the PC,
Good. play this game on PC. It will be 60 fps. 120 fps. 240 fps.

problem solved.

lets not expect $399-499 consoles to run next gen games at 60 fps. it will come at a cost. be it in game design, or encounter design or simulations or graphics fidelity.

60fps is the bare minimum. If you are suggesting lower FPS for more fidelity and physics...that's just a ridiculously out of touch position to take.
yep. so out of touch, virtually every gen for the past 9 gens did this.

Lethal01

Does anyone have links to this? It's so hilarious and pathetic of a grown man to do this.

Yeah, just smack the dumb kid

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
I don't want to play "next gen" games with last gens framerates. I think we can have some incredible looking games that also run at 60fps. I personally don't want anything better looking if it comes at the expense of performance.

We all have different tolerance levels, but 30fps honestly just looks broken to me now.
Probably should go see a doctor then. 30fps is just fine.

Topher

Gold Member
So let’s forget technical progress and expect a slightly better looking Gears 5, wonderfl… this 60fps fetishism is not helping this already boring gen of consoles. Do you guys want to play lastgen games until the end of time just so you have 60 fps?

60fps is just as much a feature of a current gen game as anything else.

Probably should go see a doctor then. 30fps is just fine.

For you. For others it isn't. That's why options are good.

Last edited:

poodaddy

It's a shooter, controls and visual fidelity matter quite a lot for this, and besides that, there seems to be a massive overestimation of what halving the frame rate target will free up. There's no reason for it to not target 60, targeting 30 will not fundamentally change the experience like you're implying here. It would free up some CPU cycles, though not much, and the GPU cycles saved would just get immediately flipped towards higher resolutions so it wouldn't make a true, tangibly different experience, in my opinion, for the better. You're acting like somehow targeting 30 will make it automatically a better game or targeting 60 is somehow a net negative, and I just thoroughly disagree.

amigastar

I was critical when it comes to the UE5 but seeing Marvel 1943 Rise of Hydra i've changed my mind. UE5 games can look awesome.

Mobilemofo

Good, there is a likelihood that this means that it isn't open world and sticking to it's linear formula which I much prefer.

Despite Gears 5 not being a groundbreaking game, I had fun with it so am looking forward to this.
FUN is the keyword. Shit doesn't have to be original to be fun. Ms games will want those sweet sweet ps bucks i'd imagine so it's only a matter of time before they fold like a house made of soggy playing cards. 😅

Last edited:

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.

I agree with this IF you consider 60 fps as the minimum. I want nothing to do with ANY of those bells and whistles if it means we are stuck at 30 fps.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
Celebrating 60fps for shooting game of this caliber is rather sad.. this needs to be 120fps but thanks to the lovely zen2 CPU you will take 60 and be happy
60 is fine for consoles. 120 is nicer.

On PC I consider 90 to be the bare minimum I consider playable.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member

Then play games on PC where you have options. There should be only one vision from the developer on consoles. I think game visuals are held back by crybabies that think they need 60fps and developers too lazy to optimize right. But I think that laziness comes from have to optimize so many different visual options across different platforms.

Raven77

Shooters need to be 60fps higher would be preferable

What MS needs is good games and if you want a shooter to be worthwhile you make it 60fps at least.

Not one person has ever said, the gameplay is not great but it runs buttery smooth so I love the game...

Your own comment is actually in support of my stance. More time spent optimizing for a mostly pointless 60 FPS, is time, resources, and money that could be spent refining and adding to the game and enhancing the gameplay.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
As long as console games have options including a 60 fps (or even better a 120 fps mode too) that’s good with me. Just gimme a few options. Can’t be that hard. I don’t think the typical console gamer is looking for a million options and sliders like a PC game.

Topher

Gold Member
Then play games on PC where you have options. There should be only one vision from the developer on consoles. I think game visuals are held back by crybabies that think they need 60fps and developers too lazy to optimize right. But I think that laziness comes from have to optimize so many different visual options across different platforms.

Just as easy to say "buy a PC if you want higher rez". I think frame rates are held back by crybabies that need more pixels and developers too lazy.....blah blah blah. Really to turn that bullshit around on you since it works both ways.

Topher

Gold Member
Not one person has ever said, the gameplay is not great but it runs buttery smooth so I love the game...

Your own comment is actually in support of my stance. More time spent optimizing for a mostly pointless 60 FPS, is time, resources, and money that could be spent refining and adding to the game and enhancing the gameplay.

Where is this notion that higher frame rate comes at the expense of game play coming from? That doesn't make any sense. Lowering settings and resolution to get higher frame rates doesn't change the game play.

Z O N E

I mean, I kind of expected it to be.

This is The Coalition we're talking about. They're #2 when it comes to knowing how to fully utilise Unreal Engine.

FoxMcChief

Gold Member
Just as easy to say "buy a PC if you want higher rez". I think frame rates are held back by crybabies that need more pixels and developers too lazy.....blah blah blah. Really to turn that bullshit around on you since it works both ways.
I’d be fine with the reduced resolution, if that’s developers overall vision. Again, I think when you have options on consoles, overall everything suffers. I would rather the developer make one choice for each console, then build their game around that.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
It's a shooter, controls and visual fidelity matter quite a lot for this, and besides that, there seems to be a massive overestimation of what halving the frame rate target will free up. There's no reason for it to not target 60, targeting 30 will not fundamentally change the experience like you're implying here. It would free up some CPU cycles, though not much, and the GPU cycles saved would just get immediately flipped towards higher resolutions so it wouldn't make a true, tangibly different experience, in my opinion, for the better. You're acting like somehow targeting 30 will make it automatically a better game or targeting 60 is somehow a net negative, and I just thoroughly disagree.
So Gears 1 and Halo 3 shouldve targeted 60 fps on the 360?

Do you think they wouldve been the same game? Especially Halo 3 which features still the largest battles in the series to date.

Kataploom

Gold Member
I can easily say: Game is amazing but shit's only 30 fps so I have a hard time playing it now with all the buttery smooth titles I got on my PC.

That literally happens with TOTK. Which is a shame :(

Kataploom

Gold Member
wasting? have you seen some games recently
Well, then they shouldn't be wasting power on graphical features until it's feasible on consoles, that way they can boost resolution a little and keep a decent frame rate... The power gap needed to make a decent leap these days is just too much imo, then they (for some weird reason) decided it's time to raise resolution an absurd amount 🤦‍♂️

Topher

Gold Member
I’d be fine with the reduced resolution, if that’s developers overall vision. Again, I think when you have options on consoles, overall everything suffers. I would rather the developer make one choice for each console, then build their game around that.

If a developers "vision" for a game is based on resolution that dev doesn't have much of a vision in the first place. Most games are going to be on PC regardless so there was never a single "vision" for the game that set one resolution or setting in stone. Basically we are talking about not enabling a preset on console that already exists. So everything suffering because of more options doesn't fly. The options are already there. And if the developer's "vision" was for a perfect image quality game then that game wouldn't be on console at all. Every dev has to make compromises to reach a wide vareity of systems. Thankfully advancements in upscaling tech is making this less and less of an issue just like the silly excuses for not having options.

makaveli60

60fps was always possible, a design choice, not a feature of this gen. This fetishism with it is the feature of this gen. And I guess developers don’t mind it that much because this way they don’t need to sweat and make technical progress they just make a lastgen game, make it run at higher frames and call it a day.

Last edited:

poodaddy

So Gears 1 and Halo 3 shouldve targeted 60 fps on the 360?

Do you think they wouldve been the same game? Especially Halo 3 which features still the largest battles in the series to date.
In my opinion these aren't comparable, respectfully. That was before the sophisticated upscaling algorithms we currently enjoy were even a passing thought, and hitting that 720p resolution target was incredibly important for marketing purposes for the mere purpose of being called "HD." Now, on to specifically how I would feel about them being designed for 60 I'll say this: I never played through Gears and Halo 3 until they were available at 60 fps, as the first time I tried them I just felt they were too sluggish. Granted, I was already used to playing on PC, so perhaps that poisoned me against the experience, but when I tried them years later on a Series X, Master Chief Collection and Gears 1 with the remake and the 60 fps patch), I quite enjoyed them both.

Now, do I think they would have been the same game? That's an interesting question, and somewhat difficult to answer. Gears 1 yes, fundamentally I do believe it wouldn't have altered the design much to target 60. Halo 3....it probably would have heavily affected the amount of NPC'S, vehicles, and enemies on screen, making it feel perhaps a bit smaller in scale, but I do believe it would have still been mostly the same experience and that it would have controlled and "felt" better, purely on a personal level, but I acknowledge that both the CPU and GPU draw calls, not to mention memory, saved from targeting 30 were effectively utilized in that game.

Top Bottom