• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rumor: Gears 6 to be 60fps (Coalition is using UE5)

GymWolf

When I change settings on my PC, I don't reduce core aspects of the game. Only the visuals. Yeah, that's exactly how it works for devs. Not just going to dismiss an actual developers statements that say exactly that. Sorry, but none of us here are devs and anything we say is a complete guess.

But sure.....agree to disagree.
They can reduce the visuals to optimize here and there but texture on very high compared to ultra is a very low gain compared to cutting off characters, physics etc.

Just look at dogma2, you get double the framerate by killing all the ncps in a town.

At best we can agree that not all devs\engines\games genre are the same so not everyone develop games in the same way, but i'm absolutely sure that the most big, demanding games are made around a specific fps target and not something they address at the end when the game is almost ready.

If it would be as easy as you say, every game would have a performance mode, in any console, even on switch, just cut the graphic and voila, it's not that simple.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
They can reduce the visuals to optimize here and there but texture on very high compared to ultra is a very low gain compared to cutting off characters, physics etc.

Reducing resolution achieves the most gain. That is simply a fact that anyone with a PC can demonstrate. We are not talking about changing characters or physics. Just settings.

Just look at dogma2, you get double the framerate by killing all the ncps in a town.

At best we can agree that not all devs\engines are the same.

We both know Dogma 2 has a ton of issues. We are talking about high end PCs struggling with that game. It is an anomaly. Spider-man 2 has more NPCs than Dogma 2.

Agree on devs/engines. Also agree it would be nice to have input from more devs on the topic.

If it would be as easy as you say, every game would have a performance mode, in any console, even on switch, just cut the graphic and voila, it's not that simple.

As the tweet adamsapple adamsapple posted said, it is a choice.

MGSV was 60 fps on PS4.

Definitely an exception to the rule, but fair example.

Last edited:

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Oh thank you! That is really what MS needs right now. Not a graphical powerhouse to win people over, but a slightly smoother frame rate!

That'll sell consoles! Whatch out PlayStation!!!
60 fps is "slightly" smoother than 30fps. Are you deadass right now?

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
if you'd rather NOT see: "physics based stuff not possible last gen. AI not possible last gen. game design not possible last gen." all so we can achieve 60fps on consoles then im not the crazy one.
Are the 30fps games giving us insane physics we didn't see last generation? Redfall and Starfield are 30fps. Are they a major jump from la- of course you know they are fucking not, 30fps doesn't guarantee revolution and not as many devs as you think there are want to make interesting games like that especially considering that the scripted cinematic approach of later years generates far more money, popularity and sales

If you want to blame anyone for the lack of insane AI or physics revelations consider starting with yourself first considering how much you guys went crazy over scripted games like gow2018, ragnarok, uncharted and tlou2 which don't really innovate on the physics front and are Moreso innovators in graphics

64bitmodels

Reverse groomer.
Also a developer who is truly talented enough to make an amazing, revolutionary jump in physics would make it 60fps.

They clearly have the chops for insane physics revolution and advancement in games, surely halving the frame time is nothing for them.

It will be much more impressive seeing all those systems interlink and work together perfectly at a buttery smooth frame rate.

poodaddy

Also a developer who is truly talented enough to make an amazing, revolutionary jump in physics would make it 60fps.

They clearly have the chops for insane physics revolution and advancement in games, surely halving the frame time is nothing for them.

It will be much more impressive seeing all those systems interlink and work together perfectly at a buttery smooth frame rate.
Jason Sudeikis Yes GIF by Apple TV+

Carl Weathers Friendship GIF

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Ya don't think that's a problem? Or a stagnation?
Concern wasn’t the right word. It hasn’t been a priority or discussion point at all. Developers don’t give a shit and the average gamer needs yellow tape to know where to climb. You think intelligent AI is something they care about or 90% of the player base?

I’d love more intelligent and challenging AI but even the most brutal games don’t have smart AI. They just have high damage, high health pools, or small windows to damage them.

Some of the last smart encounters left are actually destiny raids. They don’t tell you like a WoW or 14 raid what to do every second of it making it trivial.

Personally more intelligent AI isn’t needed but more free form approaches and options on how they engage a player. When I think of ARPGs like Diablo , aside from bosses, all enemies melt and rarely do you fight them differently. It would be nice to see enemies have more than just rush player down and run forward AI attack patterns.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The First Descendant uses UE5 and was able to hit 60fps on consoles.

I played the PS5 beta version last year and it ran very smoothly on my PS5 though the game still ran at much higher framerates on my PC. The idea that UE5 games can't run at 60fps on consoles because games like Hellblade 2 are stuck at 30fps is a myth.

This comparison doesn't make sense.

Is it using Lumen, Nanite, virtual shadow maps or any of the taxing Unreal 5 features?

Godfall is also a UE5 game on both PS5/SX which targets 60 FPS but doesn't have any of those visually taxing features. That's primarily what sets them apart, HB2 is using all of those visually taxing features along with some really high quality post processing effects.

The only game that has been able to use those UE5 features at 60 FPS so far is Fortnite and I don't think we need to go into the visual complexity of fortnite vs something like a Hellblade 2, or even Godfall.

Last edited:

Is it using Lumen, Nanite, virtual shadow maps or any of the taxing Unreal 5 features?

Godfall is also a UE5 game on both PS5/SX which targets 60 FPS but doesn't have any of those visually taxing features. That's primarily what sets them apart, HB2 is using all of those visually taxing features along with some really high quality post processing effects.

The only game that has been able to use those UE5 features at 60 FPS so far is Fortnite and I don't think we need to go into the visual complexity of fortnite vs something like a Hellblade 2, or even Godfall.
You've proven my point though. I'm not talking about effects or quality of graphics here, I'm saying it's possible to get 60fps on UE5 games on consoles.

I don't see any reason why Gears 6 can't have a 60fps performance mode on the Series X with turned down settings.

adamsapple

You've proven my point though. I'm not talking about effects or quality of graphics here, I'm saying it's possible to get 60fps on UE5 games on consoles.

I don't see any reason why Gears 6 can't have a 60fps performance mode on the Series X with turned down settings.

I don't think that has ever been in question. Godfall was a launch game that was targeting 60. Again, hitting 60 isn't the problem. Hitting 60 with the bells and whistles is.

The engine itself wasn't optimized enough to hit 60 with those taxing features until the end of 2022 on a base level.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I don't think that has ever been in question. Godfall was a launch game that was targeting 60. Again, hitting 60 isn't the problem. Hitting 60 with the bells and whistles is.

All you are talking about here is settings. So create a preset that doesn't have all those bells and whistles toggled on for those who would rather play at higher frame rates.

Are all these features going to be on for Xbox Series S?

Last edited:

adamsapple

All you are talking about here is settings. So create a preset that doesn't have all those bells and whistles toggled on for those who would rather play at higher frame rates.

Gears is most likely going to have that. Hellblade 2, the developers probably didn't think it was necessary enough considering the kind of game, at least that's what that gamepro interview sounded like.

Are all these features going to be on for Xbox Series S?

I would guess so, it's not that the hardware there can't support it. It did everything in that Matrix demo as well.

I think it'll be interesting to see how the PC version of HB2 is, whether it has options to strip away all RT and how that impacts the game or if the game there requires mandatory RT like Metro Exodus EE.

Last edited:

The engine itself wasn't optimized enough to hit 60 with those taxing features until the end of 2022 on a base level.

All I know is that it would be in the best interest for them to get Gears 6 running at 60fps.

It's not an issue for me since I play all of MS' games on my PC but it will be a fucking joke if they release it without a performance mode and the excuse is that they are trying to get all the bells and whistles of the engine running. It should be mandatory that every MP shooter should at least have a 60fps option. Performance should take priority over pretty visuals in a multiplayer game.

Reporting that Gears 6 has a performance mode that hits 60fps on consoles shouldn't be news, it should be the expectation.

Last edited:

adamsapple

All I know is that it would be in the best interest for them to get Gears 6 running at 60fps.

I think that's a safe(r) bet than HB2 getting an unlocked performance mode, at this time.

Reporting that Gears 6 has a performance mode that hits 60fps on consoles shouldn't be news, it should be the expectation.

It's not really news tho lol, it's someones forum post.

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
I think it'll be interesting to see how the PC version of HB2 is, whether it has options to strip away all RT and how that impacts the game or if the game there requires mandatory RT like Metro Exodus EE.

HB2 won't have two different versions of the game like Metro Exodus. I doubt RT will be required. Lots of non-RT GPUS still out there. But I suppose we will have an idea when the system requirements are released.

Gordon Ramsay Cooking GIF by Masterchef

Top Bottom