• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Falls S2 |OT| Mysteries, tall gingers & endless sweaters (series finale 2/15)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ultimadrago

Nice episode! (Episode 4)
I can't get enough Bill.

Man, I hated that wait though. And is it me or do character designs like (Episode 4)
the puppet guy
and the boy band in the first season give off mad Fairly Oddparents vibes. It's the light blue pupils.

Five

Banned
Great episode, although I would have thought Stan would be more scared that
Mabel mentioned Dipper is possessed by a triangle.
Maybe he was scared, but had to cover it up because of the audience.

Shoot, hung out at the Destiny launch and forgot to watch the sock opera (didn't even buy the game). Anyone know of a way I can watch it or just hope for a rerun soon?

I don't think we're allowed to post it here, so I'll just say that it was also talked about on Reddit.

Toad.T

Banned
Just had this pop up in my feed while watching a unrelated video. Anybody know if there's a full, voiced version of it? (It's the series pilot)

Shoot, hung out at the Destiny launch and forgot to watch the sock opera (didn't even buy the game). Anyone know of a way I can watch it or just hope for a rerun soon?

Next replay on XD is Wed, 9/10 at 7:30p

So, I checked out the episode tonight, and was pleasantly surprised by the main theme of the episode. (Again, the season of deeper character arcs strikes again!)

I know that everyone was glad with the Wendy/Dipper thing being resolved in the "Into the Bunker..." but my main conflict with the series remained unresolved...until now.

I was shocked when
Bill Cipher, of all people (?) was the one that brought up the fact that Mabel can be a selfish little shit at times, especially when it comes to her constant crushes, (an ironic note, considering that Bill highlights every single time she had butt in on Dipper's 'Wendy-time') and moreso, Dipper doesn't argue back.

The thing that got me is that even when Dipper's fate was revealed, she persisted in her way, until again, "Bipper" calls her on her own bullshit. I don't know; part of me rolled my eyes, while the other part was like, "About fucking time!"

Some notes of interest:

1. Maybe i missed it, but was that
Gabe guy suppose to be the twins' age, or a lot older?
2. So, we're back to
the "giving-Wendy-only-two-lines-for-the-whole-show" bullshit, huh?
3. Speaking of, anyone else notice that
"Bipper" was totally eyeing her boobs while sitting in the car with her and Soos?"
4. Ok, so I don't get
Bill's plan. First, we're told that he needs the GF gang for something. Then, in this episode, he tells Dipper, "well, never mind, you're getting too close, I'm destroying the journal and laptop." Just seems too tangent..."
5. Kinda depressing that not one of those bastards noticed
something was up with Dipper in the first place. (Wendy didn't noticed all the weird pet names (Red/Toots) or even the fact he was talking to "himself" in Soos's car?)
6. Thought it was funny that
Dipper was hating on Mermando. Don't worry, Dip, he's probably a Subway Tuna Sub by now...
7. This was the second time that
Dipper has done something of Mordecai-level stupidity in his search for the truth. I wonder if this is going to be a reoccurring theme all season...

Just had this pop up in my feed while watching a unrelated video. Anybody know if there's a full, voiced version of it? (It's the series pilot)

Not yet. Rumor has it Hirsch is embarrassed of it...

Oops, sorry, I was referring to a set of regular figures that were previewed here a few weeks back.

Those are out in the Disney Parks or their online store already

Psxphile

"Bipper" was totally eyeing her boobs while sitting in the audience with her and Soos?"
Nope, because he didn't. However, the scene in the car where he's adjusting his seat belt definitely had him eerily staring forward instead of down... I'm going to chalk it up to animation error due to how lifeless it looked.

Putting his arm around Wendy in the audience later was totally on purpose, though. Including the shot of Wendy looking ticked. But considering how pretty much everyone was ignoring not-Dipper acting all OOC there probably won't be any repercussions for him in following episodes.

Also, have some more pilot footage:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1X1KxUl2Pxo

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0d2Xc0mucgU

I don't think the full thing exists online, only these snippets. Wiki thing.

Alex Hirsch stated that he hopes this pilot isn't ever fully shown to the public, because it's a mess and it would be like showing his awkward high school photos.

Nope, because he didn't. However, the scene in the car where he's adjusting his seat belt definitely had him eerily staring forward instead of down... I'm going to chalk it up to animation error due to how lifeless it looked.

Shit! My bad, named the wrong scene. Will edit above...

Still, it doesn't take that long
to put on a seat belt. And those eyes don't move a single time...

http://i.imgur.com/rdni4Zz.jpg

left unlinked for spoilers (?) but so people don't think we're crazy...

Putting his arm around Wendy in the audience later was totally on purpose, though. Including the shot of Wendy looking ticked. But considering how pretty much everyone was ignoring not-Dipper acting all OOC there probably won't be any repercussions for him in following episodes.

True, but after a second watch,
"Bipper" has an arm around both Wendy and Soos, and she doesn't appear pissed until after he makes the comment about Soos's death (it's funny, 'cause she's mad, but Soos looks totally delighted!)

GF is known for its continuity, so we'll see if it has any repercussions in the future...

PaulloDEC

Loved Sock Opera. I'm really enjoying
how much of a dick Bill is; I always worry during his scenes that they'll tone him back, but he remained pretty damn sinister here.

Nice to have an acknowledgement and follow-through on how much Dipper sacrifices for Mabel, too. It's the sort of thing lesser cartoons wouldn't cover, I think.

daydream

Banned
New episode was alright. More
Bill
is always appreciated but the writing continues to not feel as sharp as it could be.

Just caught up. So nice to see new episodes for this show.

I loved the little nod
to Statler and Waldorf
at the end of Sock Opera.

I've just caught up too.

Another solid episode :D There hasn't been one I dislike yet.

I loved the
Muppets
reference as well XD I also got a huge
Phantom of the Opera
vibe with
Bipper in the tuxedo near the end
:eek:

Bill is great as a villain, but the part where he unsummons the screaming disembodied head and the layers of its flesh slowly flay off into the aether was hardcore

Episode was pretty good. A certain bit made me wonder just how much this show can really get away with...

Though I must say, and this is my own humble opinion...
Mabel's obsessiveness with boys was funny as central parts in some earlier episodes, but as this one went on...I honestly got annoyed by it and her character. If it's a recurring theme, I wonder if my feelings will continue.

Ultimadrago

Mabel's obsessiveness with boys was funny as central parts in some earlier episodes, but as this one went on...I honestly got annoyed by it and her character. If it's a recurring theme, I wonder if my feelings will continue.

That's a very good point and I thank you for bringing it up because I forgot to. I felt the very same way about it. I still like the character and want to keep liking them, but that trait (or the intensity of it)...gotta go.

That's a very good point and I thank you for bringing it up because I forgot to. I felt the very same way about it. I still like the character and want to keep liking them, but that trait (or the intensity of it)...gotta go.

First, love your Legends avatar...

Second...

AbbfTiI.gif

Truthfully, GF-GAF and I have mentioned that fact several, several times. Heck, I wrote a big assed rant about it in the first season topic...

Ultimadrago

First, love your Legends avatar...

Second...

AbbfTiI.gif

Truthfully, GF-GAF and I have mentioned that fact several, several times. Heck, I wrote a big assed rant about it in the first season topic...

Hah, I like your avatar too!

And wow, that post is rather spot-on about the imbalance between
Mabel's desires (leaning on the idea that even the plot shows them favoritism)
and how Dipper gets the brunt of disappointment at the end of it. It also defines why Dipper is my favorite character of the show. As you said, I can see myself as a "Little Dipper" in a number of the situations he runs into.

Thanks to strong characterwriting, he has open flaws that have bitten back at him with weight.
However, similar implications don't apply to Mabel, which is why seeing her "Love at first sight" shtick overtake an episode yet again helps to serve more as an annoyance than much else.

Opto

Banned
Episode was pretty good. A certain bit made me wonder just how much this show can really get away with...

except this episode tackled just how bad Mabel's obsesses can get. the 2nd season is doing a good job of addressing the 1st seasons' norms and reassessing them.

Hamlet

Finally got around to watching the latest episode and what a great episode it was.
Bills return was great, loved the sheer joy he had in messing with Dippers body.
“Boy, these arms are durable!”
Loved just how eager Soos was to find out about the date of his death.
"Hey Soos want to hear the exact time and date of your death?"
"haha ok"
And this is a pretty neat little catch someone noticed that the federal agents were at the sock puppet show

Preview for the next episode is out Soos and the Real Girl

hateradio

The Most Dangerous Yes Man
Why are there so many spoilers? It's unlike most of the other TV threads I've gone. Just read that part in the OP. :p

As I was watching it, I realized that Bill is a huge metaphor for the devil, which is creepy for a kids show. I mean the thought came to me the last season, but it was more apparent here for some reason.

I actually like how they look and act a little older in these pilot clips.

Five

Banned
Why are there so many spoilers? It's unlike most of the other TV threads I've gone. Just read that part in the OP. :p

As I was watching it, I realized that Bill is a huge metaphor for the devil, which is creepy for a kids show. I mean the thought came to me the last season, but it was more apparent here for some reason.

I actually like how they look and act a little older in these pilot clips.

I agree. The animation's not as good, and Stan's design is significantly worse, but watching this clip makes me wish for a slightly aged up Mabel and Dipper.

Somewhat related, I can't be the only one who finds the
seemingly adult puppeteer flirting with Mabel
to be strange.

Psxphile

I agree. The animation's not as good, and Stan's design is significantly worse, but watching this clip makes me wish for a slightly aged up Mabel and Dipper.

Somewhat related, I can't be the only one who finds the
seemingly adult puppeteer flirting with Mabel
to be strange.

No way in hell that guy's an adult.

I can see aged-up/time-skipped Mabel and Dipper being an episode. Complete with the 'adulthood sucks, life was better when we were kids with less responsibilities' moral lesson. Perhaps a Bill-induced lucid dream that will somehow further his own plans.

Five

Banned
No way in hell that guy's an adult.

I can see aged-up/time-skipped Mabel and Dipper being an episode. Complete with the 'adulthood sucks, life was better when we were kids with less responsibilities' moral lesson. Perhaps a Bill-induced lucid dream that will somehow further his own plans.

I'll have to rewatch it. Maybe I pictured him as an adult because he reminded me of Lazlow Jones from GTAV:
lazlow-jones.jpg

You might be right about the "life was better" lesson. Stan has already talked about trying to protect the kids from what he knows. Maybe it could tie into that.

hateradio

I'm pretty sure both are acceptable.

And with said, as someone who just finished the previous season, what do the numbers mean at the end of the episodes?

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
What I thought would turn out to be a dumb episode about Mabel obsessing over another boy turned out to be another brilliant episode. Wow not a bad episode yet from S2. Bipper is best Dipper also, them cat eyes.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
I'm pretty sure both are acceptable.

And with said, as someone who just finished the previous season, what do the numbers mean at the end of the episodes?

Hooo boy. You might want to check out the GF wiki list of cryptograms, or the single episode links on there.

There's so much hidden stuff in this show, it's almost half of the fun.

Who around here was responsible for providing us all with 1080p screencaps for each episode last season? And where has this person gone?

Next replay on XD is Wed, 9/10 at 7:30p

So, I checked out the episode tonight, and was pleasantly surprised by the main theme of the episode. (Again, the season of deeper character arcs strikes again!)

I know that everyone was glad with the Wendy/Dipper thing being resolved in the "Into the Bunker..." but my main conflict with the series remained unresolved...until now.

I was shocked when
Bill Cipher, of all people (?) was the one that brought up the fact that Mabel can be a selfish little shit at times, especially when it comes to her constant crushes, (an ironic note, considering that Bill highlights every single time she had butt in on Dipper's 'Wendy-time') and moreso, Dipper doesn't argue back.

The thing that got me is that even when Dipper's fate was revealed, she persisted in her way, until again, "Bipper" calls her on her own bullshit. I don't know; part of me rolled my eyes, while the other part was like, "About fucking time!"

Some notes of interest:

1. Maybe i missed it, but was that
Gabe guy suppose to be the twins' age, or a lot older?
2. So, we're back to
the "giving-Wendy-only-two-lines-for-the-whole-show" bullshit, huh?
"Bipper" was totally eyeing her boobs while sitting in the car with her and Soos?"
4. Ok, so I don't get
Bill's plan. First, we're told that he needs the GF gang for something. Then, in this episode, he tells Dipper, "well, never mind, you're getting too close, I'm destroying the journal and laptop." Just seems too tangent..."
5. Kinda depressing that not one of those bastards noticed
something was up with Dipper in the first place. (Wendy didn't noticed all the weird pet names (Red/Toots) or even the fact he was talking to "himself" in Soos's car?)
6. Thought it was funny that
Dipper was hating on Mermando. Don't worry, Dip, he's probably a Subway Tuna Sub by now...
Dipper has done something of Mordecai-level stupidity in his search for the truth. I wonder if this is going to be a reoccurring theme all season...

Not yet. Rumor has it Hirsch is embarrassed of it...

Those are out in the Disney Parks or their online store already
Not on disneystore.com. You got my hopes up brah! :(

Not on disneystore.com. You got my hopes up brah! :(
Do you have a Disney store near you? I know for sure they stock vinylmation. Even then, getting a GF character is still a crap shoot. The boxes are blind so you don't know who you will get. It's one of the main reason why I have yet to buy into it.

If you really want Mabel, I found a few listings for her on ebay.

Do you have a Disney store near you? I know for sure they stock vinylmation. Even then, getting a GF character is still a crap shoot. The boxes are blind so you don't know who you will get. It's one of the main reason why I have yet to buy into it.

I might not be looking hard enough, but I've never seen Vinylmation at any Disney store in my area. I woudn't have nearly as much of it as I do if I didn't go to Downtown Disney as much as I do.

If you really want Mabel, I found a few listings for her on ebay.
Nah, it's not the vinylmatians. It's the normal Gravity figures. They were leaked at one point and the real ones were revealed last month or so.....

AniHawk

caught up on the last two episodes. really liked all the bill stuff, but i laughed about a minute straight at big henry. i can't believe they were allowed to get that dark.

Plot prediction: Soos establishes crush with computerized Waifu, Soos meets real girl and forms real relationship, Waifu gets jealous and must be stopped.

Wasn't this an episode of the Outer Limits once? (or something similar?)

I wonder if Paul Robertson's return to the series means we will see Rumble McSkirmish again?

I did. Disney used to stream the show online at a crazy high bitrate (higher than itunes) which is what they're captured from. I don't believe they do this anymore though

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6pDugHeoXg4

BJQzrJ7.png

When dipper was going through the floor.

1neVVYjh.jpg

One last detail; leaving unlinked cause it has spoilers for Sock Opera (about something I bitched about):

http://33.media.tumblr.com/3ca76dff80bce383cae58a55084137ee/tumblr_nbvg0aVs9v1qg6q36o1_1280.png

hateradio

Actually, this episode could have worked well if it were divided into two. They could have added a lot more creepy Bill stuff and made the ghost thing a little less lame.

NEO0MJ

Kinda late. Episode was great. Bill is such an awesomely creepy character.

Bill picked the perfect moment to pressure Dipper into agreeing with him. Dipper was frustrated, desperate, and short on time This was his one chance to get a significant quantity of important and uncryptic information about Gravity Falls and the Author of the journals. Plus, Bill manipulated him and planted the thought in his mind that he only wanted a sock puppet. Don't forget that Bill is master of the mind and probably doesn't need to actually enter your head in order to manipulate your thoughts.

So, this duo is our new time traveler.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom