• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Greece's new finance minister is Valve's former Steam Market economist

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rafy

yanis-varoufakis.jpg
The fate of the Eurozone economy could well be in the hands of a man who once monitored the sales of virtual goods via micro-transactions in video games Dota 2 and Counter-Strike.

Yanis Varoufakis was hired by Valve three years ago to oversee the Steam Market and its fledging economy, and now, as confirmed by Sky News political editor Faisal Islam on 27 January, he is Greece's new finance minister.

In his own words Varoufakis says he was hired by Valve "to forge narratives and empirical knowledge that (a) transcend the border separating the 'real' from the digital economies, and (b) bring together lessons from the political economy of our gamers' economies and from studying Valve's very special (and fascinating) internal management structure."

In a letter to the economist, Valve boss Gabe Newell likened creating a shared currency between real money and the Steam wallet to the problems faced with Greece with the Euro. Varoufakis was intrigued, taking on the consultancy role Newell offered, and now he will be taking his experiences at Valve into a position of incredible importance.

Looks like "The Lord and Savior, GabeN" gave the tools to this guy to save the Greek economy (j/k)

This has me actually very intrigued on what this dude is going to do next. i don't think asking war crimes reparations from Germany is very realistic but then again that was not his idea.

Source: http://www.ibtimes.co.uk/greeces-ne...-valves-former-steam-market-economist-1485336
Bankrupt if old.

EDIT: He was working on the micro-transactions marketplace not the actual store from what I understand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom