• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Former Valve employee says Steam was killing PC gaming, Epic Games is saving it

Yoda

Sensationalism bordering on bullshit: 30% is what they'd have given to retail back when Steam was just starting out, now that DD is either already or soon to be the main channel for delivering game content; something like the EGS was bound to come along to challenge it eventually. But Steam has an amazing platform, and got DD right years before other established players, and by and large resurrected PC gaming when all the pundits claimed consoles were the future. Saying it was killing PC gaming is a click-baity nonsense. It has its problems, but on balance it's a giant net positive for PC gaming.

And just so any other troll knows this EX-Valve guy has an axe to grind against Valve, he hated his time while employed at Valve and shits on them any chance he gets, so you will have to forgive me when i think his opinion about EGS is biased as fuck.

https://www.pcgamer.com/ex-valve-employee-describes-ruthless-industry-politics/
I knew the PCMR was a thing, but launcher fanboys is new to me. You get a bit extreme on this epic/steam topic, don't you think? It's all trolls, shills, and paid astroturfers that disagree with you. I feel like I'm getting a first hand view of the birth of new fanboyism.

angelic

Banned
For how little they do? I mean, like hosting developers games worlwide available for downloading and patching at any time of the day or night? Giving developers a place to communicate with their fans? To advertise their games? Giving access to the Valve network that powers games like CS:GO and Dota? Does Epic do this? NO? i thought so. Gamer's apologizing for Epic and China being evil douchebags is getting old at this point. Gabe should shut down Steam just to see the kind of shit PC gaming would be in if all that is left is places like Epic.

Other stores manage to do these things without taking 30%

Competition is good, monopoly is bad. It surprises me people don't see that.

Solomeena

Banned
I knew the PCMR was a thing, but launcher fanboys is new to me. You get a bit extreme on this epic/steam topic, don't you think? It's all trolls, shills, and paid astroturfers that disagree with you. I feel like I'm getting a first hand view of the birth of new fanboyism.

I and many other have given you the reasons why Epic is a terrible company for PC gaming and yet you refuse to listen to reason and all you bitch about is saying we are against it just because it is another launcher. Get the hell out of here, unplug your ears and stop shuttering your eyes and open them for once. All your argument boils down to is that pc pamers just don't want another launcher. Nevermind that Epic is half owned by China, Nevermind that EPIC is trying to divide and force gamers to choose how they want to game by bribing greedy developers. You might as well be an astroturfer because all you do is try to obfuscate the real truth as to why gamers are upset, get lost.

Solomeena

Banned

Yet again, Steam is not a monopoly. Yet again, 30 percent is a standard. Jesus do you trolls sound like a broken record with the same lies.

angelic

Banned
I and many other have given you the reasons why Epic is a terrible company for PC gaming and yet you refuse to listen to reason and all you bitch about is saying we are against it just because it is another launcher. Get the hell out of here, unplug your ears and stop shuttering your eyes and open them for once. All your argument boils down to is that pc pamers just don't want another launcher. Nevermind that Epic is half owned by China, Nevermind that EPIC is trying to divide and force gamers to choose how they want to game by bribing greedy developers. You might as well be an astroturfer because all you do is try to obfuscate the real truth as to why gamers are upset, get lost.

You just come across as a loony here, and rude with it.

#Phonepunk#

Banned
amazing how they were killing an industry, the same industry that is earning more money than the film and music industries combined.

really, without yet another storefront to buy games through, how would we have survived?

Try buying a PS4. PSN will make Steam look a marvel in comparison, under any possible metric. "Discoverability" included.

i dont buy consoles anymore. because console stores turned into steam lite. better curated yeah but there aren't many "console" games or so to speak for me to justify buying one.
99% of ps4 games are on steam. i could care less about consoles at this point

Last edited:

Solomeena

Banned
You just come across as a loony here, and rude with it.

How am i a loony if it is all true? You sound like you want this problem to go away, not surprising. You can't even give me an answer to my last reply to you about why Valve takes 30 percent and what they give to developers in return. Come at me with hard facts and not just your lies.

Sentenza

Steam is better, but 30% is horrendous. I don't see how anyone could argue Valve deserve that cut, especially for how little they do.
It's getting borderline surreal how everyone these days is singling out Steam for taking "a horrendous 30%" (which isn't even a 30% anymore, anyway) ignoring the fact that it has been for years the industry standard for digital stores that pretty much everyone else matches.
And that Valve quite frankly offers a better service than anyone else on the business for it.

Last edited:

Solomeena

Banned
It's getting borderline surreal how everyone these days is singling out Steam for taking "a horrendous 30%" (which isn't even a 30% anymore, anyway) ignoring the fact that it has been for years the industry standard for digital stores that pretty much everyone else matches.

It's not everyone, it is just a select few members here on GAF. Like angelic angelic and LuvOfThaGame LuvOfThaGame and a few other noteable people. They stick to the script they are given, 30 percent cut!!!! Monopoly!!!! PC gamers don't want another launcher, that is why they are mad!!!!

Sentenza

It's not everyone, it is just a select few members here on GAF.
Nope, there's also a good portion of the gaming press repeating this mantra.
And they are even harder to excuse for it than a couple of clueless gaffers, since ignorance is frankly inexcusable when this is supposed to be your field of work and area of expertise.

Solomeena

Banned
Nope, there's also a good portion of the gaming press repeating this mantra.
And they are even harder to excuse for it than a couple of clueless gaffers, since ignorance is frankly inexcusable when this is supposed to be your field of work and area of expertise.

I think we can agree that the "gaming press" and i use that term lightly is a joke. I have no doubt at all that Epic and Tencent gave them some cash incentives to write positive articles that praise their tactics and to shit on real gamers like per usual.

daveonezero

Banned

No I don't think so. There aren't other stores that do all this.

https://partner.steamgames.com

Steamworks is a free suite of tools available to any developer to use in their game or software on Steam. Here is a small sampling of the available features:
  • Matchmaking
  • Steam Inventory Service
  • Anti-cheat technology
  • In-game economy with microtransactions
  • Management of user-generated content
  • Per-User cloud storage

You can read all of the developer tools here. I don't think it is even close as to who offers the most services for developers and in turn the industry.

This isn't a comparison of just a store but a whole platform and even if it is 30% Steam has more to offer than any other store front.

https://partner.steamgames.com/doc/sdk

Last edited:
I think we can agree that the "gaming press" and i use that term lightly is a joke. I have no doubt at all that Epic and Tencent gave them some cash incentives to write positive articles that praise their tactics and to shit on real gamers like per usual.

I doubt they gave them cash incentives. I think it's more about power. A curated store is a store that the gaming press can exert power over. That's much more reasonable and sensible in approaching it. Some also look for a way into the gaming industry, using it for fronting themselves and their loyalty/similar interest with publishers.
They don't care about competition one bit, it's all a part of some cultural war they're waging. "So concerned for consumers", give me a break!

Sentenza

Sensationalism bordering on bullshit: 30% is what they'd have given to retail back when Steam was just starting out.
Nope, it used to be closer to 40-50% back then, and even above in some cases (a Russian publisher reported a 60% cut for retail).
It went down to 25-30% more recently since retail is not so preponderantly the biggest market anymore and it's shrinking constantly, so they can't be the ones dictating the rules.

Sentenza

The funny part of this statement is that both parts of it are almost comically wrong.
There isn't a single digital service matching what Valve is doing in terms of features 1:1 (especially liberty to generate free keys to sell elsewhere) AND most of them take a comparable 30% cut anyway.

Last edited:
EPIC is throwing money around and locking down exclusives. That isn't helping the PC community or creating healthy competition.

And that Valve quite frankly offers a better service than anyone else on the business for it.

but I mean sony microsoft and nintendo put a lot of money into the hardware. Steam gets to use windows and pcs for free

30% is unreasonable.

SonGoku

ITT anti-epic crybabies move the goal posts even farther back while trying to act like they are anything but lazy fanboys for a man that gives zero shits about them.
Imagine using ITT in 2019

I think you are smart enough to realize that creating and running a game store for a dev studio to just sell their own games just isn't financially feasible.
and even if you could theres the visibility issue
Only big pubs with recognizable brands can afford to do that.

Last edited:

Xisiqomelir

Killling the industry? Unsustainable? Lol no.

30% is high and ripe for competition to drive that percentage down, but it wasn’t killing the Indus or unsustainable. I wish people would stop the hyperbole, it only lessens the argument.

"Killing the industry" was hyperbole. Perhaps "stifling the industry" reads more accurately there.

If Epic successfully competes and Valve has to slash down from 30% to 25/20/15, then that in and of itself will prove 30% was unsustainable.

1) I'm not racist against the Chinese like you.
2) Divide and force? What? You use your PC of choice. You use your supported OS of choice. You click on a launcher to open a game. Hey. Here's a fucking light bulb of an idea. Discord or Xbox app built in Win10. Gives you all the comfy features of chat, friends lists, screenshots, video recording, streaming, and much more. Let me guess...too hard?
3) Bribing developers or paying them what they are owed because the industry, overall, shafts the gaming market with an absurd 30% cut. This includes MS, Nin, and Sony.
4) There you go again, labeling posters as astroturfers in a futile attempt to steer the conversation away from REAL posters opinions.

Hey, you hate Epic for some personal reasons. Great! The accusations need to stop, buddy.

Dada55000

This is one of the most bizarro world occurences I have ever witnessed. Epic is muscing in, undercutting, spending money to artificially boost themselves quickly and running a slander campaign against their competing business they're trying to muscle in on. It's flagrant, pathetic, transparent and disgusting. As obvious and stereotypical a dirty business move as has ever happened, to the point where I'm certain people in this very thread have seen children's movies with companies called 'Big Evil Ent.' doing this. "We're not evil, we're helping youuuuu"

And yet people are buying this bullshit hook line and sinker. How fucking dumb do you have to be to not see through this? "Aww, isn't Steam ebul exploiting devs, 30 % is so big a number, much biggerrer than 12% isn't it. WE GOOD GUYS. DEVS WE HELP DEVS ONLY FOR DEVS SAKE. NOT BSNS NO" It's juvenile, yet the white knights are coming out of the woodwork falling for this shit. I know ignorance is something one should expect, but to be this gullible and easy to exploit, and it's not just astroturfers, I wish it was, it's the self-righteous dumbfuck to whom uttering the phrase "for devs" makes him go full spastic crusader against Steam. Equipped with the great knowledge of 30>12=FUCKSTAEM.

Of course "devs" play a part in feeding this too. Publishers and high level management at studios are smart enough to jump on the opportunity for free dosh, hey it might even permanently force Steam to give them more money in the long run. Great con! Minimal risk, guaranteed benefit. But the lowly scumfuck nobody developer? They're just as ignorant as the white knights, but fucking think the world revolves around them so how dare someone other then them get moneees, the same ones that fucking hate the consumers for being consumers and not charity handouts with compliments. Fishing for sycophants that pander to their ego. Seems there's plenty of 'em. What a horrible horrible time we have to come. The fallout is going to squarly land on the consumer who doesn't give a fuck and didn't partake in the stupidity. It's amazing how it went from companies get 27 bucks per unit in stores, to getting 42 bucks per unit on Steam, to getting 53 bucks per unit on Epic, and the consumer is still paying 60 bucks, not a single cent of those savings trickled down to the buyer. Really makes the almonds go. Poor fucking devs indeed.

but I mean sony microsoft and nintendo put a lot of money into the hardware. Steam gets to use windows and pcs for free

30% is unreasonable.
Oh so suddenly it's fine to "rob poor wittle devs" 30% if they spend that shit on something?

Do you not realise how asinine that logic is? 30% is 30%, if that's your hang up, then how they spend it means jack fucking shit. "Yeah, it's highway robbery, but they spend it on the stock market instead of a Ferrari!" Consistency, please. Otherwise you're disingenous and a farce.

And that criticism specifically, they do all kinds of extraneous bullshit I couldn't give less of a fuck about, SteamOS, the failure box thing, the shitty controller and a myriad of other things. I'm no fan of how Steam operates and what they focus on, but come on that's just slanderous.
"Killing the industry" was hyperbole. Perhaps "stifling the industry" reads more accurately there.

If Epic successfully competes and Valve has to slash down from 30% to 25/20/15, then that in and of itself will prove 30% was unsustainable.
lol, yeah they prove they can undercut their opponents in a way that does lasting damage to business

they ain't stiffling shit, 30% was the reason for Steam getting popular with pubs to begin with, since it was fucking amazing compared to the 55% cut of the brick and mortar system at the time of the 360/PS3, which they put up with for decades mind in the prior gens, no fucking whinging about poor devs

you read that right the reason Steam became a popular with gamemakers was the 30% cut, because it meant despite PC games selling less units, they managed to stay close to, or at times outperform the revenue from a single console

oh wait suddenly it's horrible, and they're evil, why 12% gets us even more money! fuck steam!

you're being taken for a ride friend, and you're falling for it

ooh, how about this, 30-12 is 18 right? but 12-0 is 12, and that's 2/3s of 18, the amount by which it's less than Steam. that's horrible! they're still robbing devs! they should get 0%, they should just fund the store off of Fortnite! evil bandits the lot of 'em at Epic!

or if you wanna be a consumer advocate for the first time in your life say, go with 12%, but your game costs 50 instead of 60, devs get 2 dollars more, consumer pays 10 less! everyone wins, people might even wanna jump on the store more now, and more unit sales are what devs want after all! oh wait, that's evil too, God forbid you didn't care about devs ahead of yourself

Helios

Steam is better, but 30% is horrendous. I don't see how anyone could argue Valve deserve that cut, especially for how little they do.
What does Microsoft or Sony do for their 30% cut? If a better cut is what developers want, than why isn't everyone flooding the Discord store?

This is one of the most bizarro world occurences I have ever witnessed. Epic is muscing in, undercutting, spending money to artificially boost themselves quickly and running a slander campaign against their competing business they're trying to muscle in on. It's flagrant, pathetic, transparent and disgusting. As obvious and stereotypical a dirty business move as has ever happened, to the point where I'm certain people in this very thread have seen children's movies with companies called 'Big Evil Ent.' doing this. "We're not evil, we're helping youuuuu"

And yet people are buying this bullshit hook line and sinker. How fucking dumb do you have to be to not see through this? "Aww, isn't Steam ebul exploiting devs, 30 % is so big a number, much biggerrer than 12% isn't it. WE GOOD GUYS. DEVS WE HELP DEVS ONLY FOR DEVS SAKE. NOT BSNS NO" It's juvenile, yet the white knights are coming out of the woodwork falling for this shit. I know ignorance is something one should expect, but to be this gullible and easy to exploit, and it's not just astroturfers, I wish it was, it's the self-righteous dumbfuck to whom uttering the phrase "for devs" makes him go full spastic crusader against Steam. Equipped with the great knowledge of 30>12=FUCKSTAEM.

Of course "devs" play a part in feeding this too. Publishers and high level management at studios are smart enough to jump on the opportunity for free dosh, hey it might even permanently force Steam to give them more money in the long run. Great con! Minimal risk, guaranteed benefit. But the lowly scumfuck nobody developer? They're just as ignorant as the white knights, but fucking think the world revolves around them so how dare someone other then them get moneees, the same ones that fucking hate the consumers for being consumers and not charity handouts with compliments. Fishing for sycophants that pander to their ego. Seems there's plenty of 'em. What a horrible horrible time we have to come. The fallout is going to squarly land on the consumer who doesn't give a fuck and didn't partake in the stupidity. It's amazing how it went from companies get 27 bucks per unit in stores, to getting 42 bucks per unit on Steam, to getting 53 bucks per unit on Epic, and the consumer is still paying 60 bucks, not a single cent of those savings trickled down to the buyer. Really makes the almonds go. Poor fucking devs indeed.

Oh so suddenly it's fine to "rob poor wittle devs" 30% if they spend that shit on something?

Do you not realise how asinine that logic is? 30% is 30%, if that's your hang up, then how they spend it means jack fucking shit. "Yeah, it's highway robbery, but they spend it on the stock market instead of a Ferrari!" Consistency, please. Otherwise you're disingenous and a farce.

And that criticism specifically, they do all kinds of extraneous bullshit I couldn't give less of a fuck about, SteamOS, the failure box thing, the shitty controller and a myriad of other things. I'm no fan of how Steam operates and what they focus on, but come on that's just slanderous.

lol, yeah they prove they can undercut their opponents in a way that does lasting damage to business

they ain't stiffling shit, 30% was the reason for Steam getting popular with pubs to begin with, since it was fucking amazing compared to the 55% cut of the brick and mortar system at the time of the 360/PS3, which they put up with for decades mind in the prior gens, no fucking whinging about poor devs

you read that right the reason Steam became a popular with gamemakers was the 30% cut, because it meant despite PC games selling less units, they managed to stay close to, or at times outperform the revenue from a single console

oh wait suddenly it's horrible, and they're evil, why 12% gets us even more money! fuck steam!

you're being taken for a ride friend, and you're falling for it

ooh, how about this, 30-12 is 18 right? but 12-0 is 12, and that's 2/3s of 18, the amount by which it's less than Steam. that's horrible! they're still robbing devs! they should get 0%, they should just fund the store off of Fortnite! evil bandits the lot of 'em at Epic!

or if you wanna be a consumer advocate for the first time in your life say, go with 12%, but your game costs 50 instead of 60, devs get 2 dollars more, consumer pays 10 less! everyone wins, people might even wanna jump on the store more now, and more unit sales are what devs want after all! oh wait, that's evil too, God forbid you didn't care about devs ahead of yourself
never seen this much sewage come out of someone's mouth at once.

Solomeena

Banned
1) I'm not racist against the Chinese like you.
2) Divide and force? What? You use your PC of choice. You use your supported OS of choice. You click on a launcher to open a game. Hey. Here's a fucking light bulb of an idea. Discord or Xbox app built in Win10. Gives you all the comfy features of chat, friends lists, screenshots, video recording, streaming, and much more. Let me guess...too hard?
3) Bribing developers or paying them what they are owed because the industry, overall, shafts the gaming market with an absurd 30% cut. This includes MS, Nin, and Sony.
4) There you go again, labeling posters as astroturfers in a futile attempt to steer the conversation away from REAL posters opinions.

Hey, you hate Epic for some personal reasons. Great! The accusations need to stop, buddy.

Seriously, i am racist against the Chinese government? You have lost all credibility and just prove that you are not here to have a conversation but just to troll like i said you we're before. You are a piece of shit for bringing race into a gaming related thread, you are a terrible person.

Last edited:

Mattyp

Gold Member
Steam killed PC gaming the moment they introduced the world to always online DRM and digital only worthless games (monetary)

Last edited:

Kadayi

Banned

giphy.gif

You're confusing having a market majority with being a monopoly. They are not the same thing.

Monopoly Definition OED : -

1 The exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service. ‘the state's monopoly of radio and television broadcasting’

1.1 A company or group having exclusive control over a commodity or service. ‘passenger services were largely in the hands of state-owned monopolies’

1.2 A commodity or service in the exclusive control of a company or group. ‘electricity, gas, and water were considered to be natural monopolies’

1.3 The exclusive possession, control, or exercise of something. ‘men don't have a monopoly on unrequited love’

2 A board game in which players engage in simulated property and financial dealings using imitation money. It was invented in the US and the name was coined by Charles Darrowc.1935.

Steam would only qualify as a monopoly if it didn't allow developers to sell their games elsewhere and locked them into exclusivity agreements. It doesn't.

That Steam was the only player in town for a few years was because they were ahead of the competition in terms of creating a digital storefront. That again doesn't make them a Monopoly, it makes them a pioneer.

I agree. I would even say that Valve needed this for a long time. They need to get their shit together again and start communicating with people. This is their biggest issue they have to solve IMHO: Communcation. They are hilariously bad at it, especially as a platform holder/service provider.

But I still maintain my utopian vision of decoupling the games you buy from the fucking stores you buy them from. I still don't see why they need to be tied to some store account. I want the store to fuck off after I have bought the game.

That is why I pirate all my games onto my hard drives, then buy them from the stores later on. I don't even load these games I've bought through the online stores. I haven't even installed most of them.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
giphy.gif

You're confusing having a market majority with being a monopoly. They are not the same thing.

Monopoly Definition OED : -

1 The exclusive possession or control of the supply of or trade in a commodity or service. ‘the state's monopoly of radio and television broadcasting’

1.1 A company or group having exclusive control over a commodity or service. ‘passenger services were largely in the hands of state-owned monopolies’

1.2 A commodity or service in the exclusive control of a company or group. ‘electricity, gas, and water were considered to be natural monopolies’

1.3 The exclusive possession, control, or exercise of something. ‘men don't have a monopoly on unrequited love’

2 A board game in which players engage in simulated property and financial dealings using imitation money. It was invented in the US and the name was coined by Charles Darrowc.1935.

Steam would only qualify as a monopoly if it didn't allow developers to sell their games elsewhere and locked them into exclusivity agreements. It doesn't.

That Steam was the only player in town for a few years was because they were ahead of the competition in terms of creating a digital storefront. That again doesn't make them a Monopoly, it makes them a pioneer.

Sure, i can accept that, but now they're the establishment, and theyre lazy.

Consumers spend 100% of the money on games, and 100% bankroll the entire industry.

Alongside the Tech and IT sectors, they are the reason these distribution platforms and publishers exist. Consumers are the reason video games exist and devs exist to make them. As a consumer I don't give a monetary shit about devs and their studios-beyond the immediate cost price vs value of the software I'm purchasing access to.

Beyond this I want a snazzy, reliable digital platform with a flexible avenue for adding games to it. Steam ticks all the boxes. Devs using Epic store don't even pass the lower fee saving on to the consumer. They price their games the same as on steam. Fuck them.

Last edited:

Dontero

Banned
As a consumer I don't give a monetary shit about devs and their studios-beyond the immediate cost price vs value of the software I'm purchasing access to.

Well both Epic and devs also follow same kind of logic. Why should they care about someone wanting to buy something from their favorite store where Epic is not that store and devs get better business deal to work with Epic than Steam ?

It is not like Steam didn't see most of big publishers already leaving from Steam. Epic just did that for most of 3rd parties.

They should care because....consumers are where the money comes from. Your 'every man for himself' analogy fails in the face of my initial observation; Consumers are responsible for 100% of the industry profit and spending. Devs but especially publishers can't afford to say 'fuck off' to consumers. If it gets any more brazen, consumers will catch on. They will start to smell the insults emanating from Epic's ass.

Last edited:

KonradLaw

Well both Epic and devs also follow same kind of logic. Why should they care about someone wanting to buy something from their favorite store where Epic is not that store and devs get better business deal to work with Epic than Steam ?

It is not like Steam didn't see most of big publishers already leaving from Steam. Epic just did that for most of 3rd parties.
True, but I'm not sure any initative that's based solely on making gamers' experience worse will win in the end. It's funny, because Epic is bassicaly repeating what Microsoft did with UWP. Only that with UWP you at least have gotten games you wouldn't be able to have on PC. With Epic all that money is spent on keeping the games away from Steam, with no benefit to gamers themselves.

Dontero

Banned
True, but I'm not sure any initative that's based solely on making gamers' experience worse will win in the end. It's funny, because Epic is bassicaly repeating what Microsoft did with UWP. Only that with UWP you at least have gotten games you wouldn't be able to have on PC. With Epic all that money is spent on keeping the games away from Steam, with no benefit to gamers themselves.

Not true.

1. "worse" experience is not binary but fluid and it is not sum of all parts. Here is graphic i like to use as someone is parroting steam "features" in comparison to Epic:

ssdsd.png

As you can see from this funny play on this list Steam, Steam as a whole is better if you assign YES/NO and tally it up.
But we know it doesn't work like that.

If you store doesn't have game i want to play then it doesn't matter if it has 99 features.
So the "worse" here is Steam actually not Epic because Steam has less important games.

2. UWP is not Epic store because they never deal with any exclusivity outside of their own funded games. Also UWP problem was that it was tied to Windows and still is and people feared that Windows would not allow to install programs outside of Windows Store.

And Windows 10S DOES THAT.

this is where MS is using its monopoly over OS market to kill competition in other field much like Google does.

KonradLaw

Not true.

If you store doesn't have game i want to play then it doesn't matter if it has 99 features.
So the "worse" here is Steam actually not Epic because Steam has less important games.

2. UWP is not Epic store because they never deal with any exclusivity outside of their own funded games. Also UWP problem was that it was tied to Windows and still is and people feared that Windows would not allow to install programs outside of Windows Store.
Well, as time has shown the fear of MS closing down Windows turned out to be unfounded. So bassicaly it's the same thing as fears of Epic involvement with Chinese goverment.

If Epic wouldn't buy out those exclusives those games would be avaible on Steam. That would objectivelly be better, because you could buy from either Steam or Epic, whichever you prefer. So the exclusivity purchases have only downsides to gamers with no upsides.
Also. exclusives traditionally work by companies funding the development. At least in this scenario the audience gets something in return, as those projects wouldn't be avaible if they weren't exclusive to begin with. With Epic's aproach there's no such upside. They're paying to make your choices more limited as gamer.

Last edited:

klosos

Wait i just had a look at Epic games store vs Steam for price difference , there is no difference - Witness £29.99 on both , Watch dogs 2 is £49.99 on both. am sure when Epic first launched they spoke about passing on the savings to customers LOL that went by the roadside quick.

Ill stick to Steam and GOG , if a product doesn't release on those ill just miss out.

Last edited:

ROMhack

It's becoming like a comicbook - Steam is the bad guy; Epic is the good guy. Fact is Steam's infrastructure is still better for consumers, whereas Epic's financial model is better for developers.

I wonder why it's even happening. Is it greed? Should developers of AAA games be struggling, even with a 30% take? Isn't the userbase of Steam big enough to warrant that as a buy-in to the system?

If they are struggling then perhaps their margins are too narrow and maybe they'd benefit from dialling back a bit, either in terms of development costs or marketing budget. I sympathise far more with indie developers who have been abandoned by Steam over the past few years as the algorithms have creeped in (they used to promote them like mad).

Regardless, competition is good for Steam, I'm just not sure the love-in with Epic is good because it doesn't offer anything different for us consumers. The central tenet of Google is that any new product needs to be innovative to succeed. Epic are splashing the cash to save money for developers but moving to another system and juggling game services doesn't benefit ordinary people.

Last edited:

Solomeena

Banned
It's becoming like a comicbook - Steam is the bad guy; Epic is the good guy. Fact is Steam's infrastructure is still better for consumers, whereas Epic's financial model is better for developers.

I wonder why it's even happening. Is it greed? Should developers of AAA games be struggling, even with a 30% take? Isn't the userbase of Steam big enough to warrant that as a buy-in to the system?

If they are struggling then perhaps their margins are too narrow and maybe they'd benefit from dialling back a bit, either in terms of development costs or marketing budget. I sympathise far more with indie developers who have been abandoned by Steam over the past few years as the algorithms have creeped in (they used to promote them like mad).

Regardless, competition is good for Steam, I'm just not sure the love-in with Epic is good because it doesn't offer anything different for us consumers. The central tenet of Google is that any new product needs to be innovative to succeed. Epic are splashing the cash to save money for developers but moving to another system and juggling game services doesn't benefit ordinary people.

What it boils down to is that it is a massive cash grab by developers that comes at the cost of massively negative PR with the consumers, the ones who actually put bread on the table for developers. Developers are greedy, that is why despite the fact that Epic giving them boat loads of money to go exclusive to the Epic store and that developers keep 80 percent they are still keeping the prices the same, they are being greedy douchebags. I would rather quit being a PC gamer then watch Epic Games and China and greedy developers ruin my hobby, bunch of assholes.

Last edited:

Sentenza

but I mean sony microsoft and nintendo put a lot of money into the hardware.

Steam gets to use windows and pcs for free
30% is unreasonable.
1- That's irrelevant. They put money into the hardware because it's to their benefit, it's their very business model. Still, they offer a far more incomplete service than Valve does, overall.
2- Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo aren't and never were the only other services that take a 30% cut. Same was true for Apple Store, GoG, Gamergate, Impulse/Gamestop App, etc.
3- How is the market standard unreasonable? And for the record it's a standard that extends outside of the gaming industry too. Find someone who will sell your cars and guess how much they will take for themselves? Put your painting in an art gallery and guess what they will keep for each one they'll manage to sell?
I swear at times most of the people who think resellers don't do anything to get their own percentage sound like toddlers with no familiarity with the business world at large.

Steam killed PC gaming the moment they introduced the world to always online DRM and digital only worthless games (monetary)
This is hilarious.
Steam didn't introduce invasive DRM at all. If anything made a lot of publishers way more lenient toward it, in a age where every physical copy tended to come with digital cancer like Starforce, TAGES or SecuROM.
All these three systems declined massively in popularity precisely as Steam started to gain some traction.

Last edited:

angelic

Banned
Wait i just had a look at Epic games store vs Steam for price difference , there is no difference - Witness £29.99 on both , Watch dogs 2 is £49.99 on both. am sure when Epic first launched they spoke about passing on the savings to customers LOL that went by the roadside quick.

Ill stick to Steam and GOG , if a product doesn't release on those ill just miss out.

Jesus christ, 49.99 for WD2 would be robbery on day 1, never mind now.

mejin

Still, the fat god didn't say or do shit till now and I see lots of damage control every time to help him up. this isn't right. if it was a console manufacturer it would be in a really tough spot for all the silence.

ROMhack

What it boils down to is that it is a massive cash grab by developers that comes at the cost of massively negative PR with the consumers, the ones who actually put bread on the table for developers. Developers are greedy, that is why despite the fact that Epic giving them boat loads of money to go exclusive to the Epic store and that developers keep 80 percent they are still keeping the prices the same, they are being greedy douchebags. I would rather quit being a PC gamer then watch Epic Games and China and greedy developers ruin my hobby, bunch of assholes.

Yea,h I think they've really lost sight of the the idea that people used to pirate a lot on PC and Steam made games more accessible meaning they didn't. If it's not greed, it's definitely naivety because they're not offering a service that provides the typical consumer with anything more than what they've already got (e.g. a well-functioning infrastructure to play games and chat with others).

I wonder if their long-term business model is an attempt to break into the Chinese market.

Last edited:
Top Bottom