• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Green Day- ¡Uno!, ¡Dos!, ¡Tré! |OT| of One! Two! Three!

Status
Not open for further replies.
uno.png
dos.png
tre.png

Release Dates:
  • ¡Uno! - September 25 2012
  • ¡Dos! - November 13 2012
  • ¡Tré! - January 15 2012

Track Listing: ¡Uno!
1. Nuclear Family
2. Stay the Night
3. Carpe Diem
4. Let Yourself Go
5. Kill the DJ
6. Fell for You
7. Loss of Control
8. Troublemaker
9. Angel Blue
10. Sweet 16
11. Rusty James
12. Oh Love
Track Listing: ¡Dos!
1. See You Tonight
2. It's Fuck Time
3. Stop When the Red Light Flash
4. Lazy Bones
5. Wild One
6. Makeout Party
7. Drama Queen
8. Ashley
9. Baby Eyes
10. Lady Cobra
11. Nightlife (feat. Lady Cobra)
12. Wow, That's Loud
13. Amy
Track Listing: ¡Tré!
1. Brutal Love
2. Missing You
3. 8th Ave Serenade
4. Stray Heart
5. X-Kid
6. Sex, Drugs & Violence
7. Little Boy Named Train
8. Amanda
9. Walk Away
10. Dirty Rotten Bastards
11. 99 Revolutions
12. The Forgotten

The Singles
Oh Love- Official Video, Lyric Video
Kill The DJ- 1, Official Video
Let Yourself Go- Live Video
Nuclear Family- Official Video

About the Band
Punk revivalists with style, substance and hooks galore, Green Day have gone through two distinct identities. They were bratty, mischievous twentysomethings when they hit MTV in 1994, and with a green-haired, snaggle-toothed Billie Joe Armstrong ripping up the furniture, dancing with a monkey, and singing about the joys of masturbation, the raucous trio's major-label debut, Dookie, went triple-platinum. But Green Day became elder statesmen during the 2000s with American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown—a pair of epic, politically charged rock and roll operas that chronicled the confused reality of life in the first decade of the new millennium.

Friends since age 10, Billie Joe Armstrong and Mike Dirnt grew up in Rodeo, California. They formed their first real band, Sweet Children, at 14. When they were 17, the pair first recorded as Green Day, signing with the punk label Lookout and releasing the 1989 EP 1,000 Hours with drummer John Kiffmeyer. The next year, the group recorded its first full-length album, 39/Smooth, in a day. Two more EPs followed, with Kiffmeyer leaving to focus on his studies and Tre Cool, with whom Armstrong had played in a band called the Lookouts, taking over on drums for 1992's Kerplunk. With a solid fanbase built on the nurturing, all-ages hardcore scene in Berkeley, the group signed with Reprise in April 1993. Its 1994 release, Dookie, proclaimed the next generation of punk, hitting Number Four on the album chart, buoyed by the band's effervescent presence on MTV and at Lollapalooza and Woodstock 1004. The album won a 1994 Grammy Award for Best Alternative Music Performance and sold 10 million copies worldwide.

The 1995 follow-up Insomniac sold nearly 3 million copies and charted at Number Two, but failed to repeat the success of the band's major-label debut. Nimrod (Number 10, 1997) sold a million copies but won fresh exposure for the group, largely on the strength of the ballad "Good Riddance (Time of Your Life)." In 2000, Green Day released Warning (Number Four), a more introspective, even folk-influenced record that showed the group stretching artistically. Despite producing the radio hit "Minority," the album was a commercial letdown, selling fewer than a million copies. Two compilations followed: A best-of, International Superhits! (Number 40, 2001), and the B-sides round-up Shenanigans (Number 27, 2002).

It would be four years before Green Day returned with American Idiot, a fully-realized rock opera and great leap forward in the band's musical capabilities and cultural importance. Released four years into the administration of George W. Bush—the titular idiot—and two months before the 2004 ballot in which he won re-election, the album depicts an American dream thwarted. "Jesus of Suburbia," a nine-minute, five-part suite, is the centerpiece, moving seamlessly from thrash to balladry to delicate harmonies and country shuffles while maintaining a narrative. "Holiday," "Boulevard of Broken Dreams," and "Wake Me Up When September Ends" each reached the charts as hit singles while still fitting with the album's rich narrative. The band had learned to fuse its pop sensibilities with a propensity for album-length storytelling in a way that none of its contemporaries had.

Remarkably, the band returned five years later with an even more ambitious conceptual project, 21st Century Breakdown. Full of religious overtones, the 18-track epic tells the story of two young punk lovers, Christian and Gloria, adrift in the broken post-Bush era. Divided into three sections—"Heroes and Cons," "Charlatans and Saints," and "Horseshoes and Hand Grenades"—the mostly short, sharp songs attack Christian hypocrisy on "East Jesus Nowhere," government on "21 Guns," and parents, teachers, and everyone else our heroes have ever looked up to on "21st Century Breakdown": "We are the desperate in the decline/Raised by the bastards of 1969."

The beauty of 21st Century Breakdown—and Green Day's reinvention over a decade into its career—is their ambition and desire to push boundaries when few of their peers have done the same. It's one of the most remarkable transformations in rock and roll history.
Rolling Stone

About the Albums
What did you think Green Day needed to do next, after American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown? You couldn't do a third punk opera in a row.
People ask me all the time. Even my son asked me, "Dad, would you ever go back to playing songs like from [1994's] Dookie and [1992's] Kerplunk?" I love those records. I love the punk stuff I grew up on. But there are so many bands who make the mistake – "We're going back, old-school." Well, that's all you're doing. You already did it. So we're changing the guitar sound. We're not going with the big Marshall-amp thing. We wanted something punchier, more power pop – somewhere between AC/DC and the early Beatles.

There is a different density, from the operas, in the new mixes I've heard. There are not a lot of parts in there, but what goes on in the songs has dimension and thrust.
The last two records were studio albums. This one – we started rehearsing every day, constructing these songs together. It felt like we were all in a room jamming – everyone in the mix, throwing out ideas. If you listen to it, it feels grand. But it also feels like a garage band.

When did you realize you had three albums' worth of solid new songs instead of just one?
The songs just kept coming, kept coming. I'd go, "Maybe a double album? No, that's too much nowadays." Then more songs kept coming. And one day, I sprung it on the others: "Instead of Van Halen I, II and III, what if it's Green Day I, II and III and we all have our faces on each cover?"

Like the KISS solo albuns.
I've already heard that one. [Laughs] The last record got so serious. We wanted to make things more fun.
Rolling Stone

“Three albums, like this, it’s never been done before and proves how free we are as a band in our approach.”
The Green Day singer is in characteristically defiant mood.
And no wonder. The Californian trio are about to release THREE new studio albums, called ¡Uno!, ¡Dos! and ¡Tré! (“Yes an album named after me,” jokes drummer Tré Cool.) All will be released within four months, six weeks apart, and if there are any nerves about this tall order, they’re not on show today.
SFTW are at the Bren Events Center at Irvine University, California, where the band from Oakland are taking a break from rehearsals to chat.
They’ve been holed up in a nearby house for the past few weeks as they prepare for upcoming live shows across Europe including a surprise appearance at Reading Festival this weekend, to play their breakthrough 1994 album Dookie in full.
They’re off the booze and have been working out, looking healthy and lean.
“We have a mammoth task ahead,” says Billie Joe. “We usually have five weeks of rehearsals up to the release of an album but this time it’s ten weeks including promo and production as we have three records in one. We don’t make things easy for ourselves.”
Not that he seems fazed by what lies ahead. As a group of UK friends scream at a TV showing Mo Farah winning the 10,000 metres, Billie Joe, 40, continues to pose for a magazine cover shoot. It seems everything with Billie Joe is taken in his stride. There are no distractions.
“There was no planning for these albums,” Billie Joe tells me later from the band’s dressing room.
“We even took the three album cover photos of us on our iPhones.
“And it’s the first time we’ve got sex, love AND politics here. It’s what the whole record is about.
“The first record is back-to-basics power pop, classic Green Day. But done with a new sound. It’s like getting the party started. Then the next record is the party going wild and you’re deep into the hell of it. Then the third one is about love and reflection.
“We have songs on there like Oh Love, Wild One, Makeout Party and F**k Time which are about sex because sex is fun.
“We’ve hinted at it before in songs but now it’s just more direct. Instead of implying it, we say, ‘It’s f**k time’. You can’t be more direct than that!”
Green Day

Reviews- ¡Uno!
Rolling Stone- 4/5
Slant- 3/5
NME- 6/10
The Guardian- 3/5
The Independent- The most negative 3/5 review I have ever seen.
BBC
Spin- 7/10

¡Uno! Album Trailer
¡Dos! Album Trailer
¡Tré! Album Trailer

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Heard that song a little while ago, not really a fan. Constantly feels like it should be kicking in but never does.

Wasn't really a fan of AA or 21stCB, If they're moving away from that political stuff I'll check em out though. Still a huge fan of Dookie and Kerplunk.

I dug American Idiot, but couldn't stand most of 21st Century Breakdown and Oh Love is a pretty frigging boring song so I'm not feeling too confident about these.

Kauwn

Neo Member
It's been a while since I listened to green day, don't think much of those singles so far but I'll hold judgement for now. 3 albums though what is going on there.

Huge Green Day fan during High School; Kerplunk and Insomniac were spinning constantly in my Discman.

However, with Warning, American Idiot and 21st Century I completely lost interest. It all sounds the same now for me (so reading that quote about not wanting to sound the same by going back to their first sound made me laugh).

But I really love their side band The Network and Foxboro Hot Tubs. This should've been their new directions, it's a totally different sound. Their new stuff is boring as hell.

Yeah I'm not too sure about this. Three albums implies to me that they weren't focused enough to choose 12-18 of the best songs for one album. I'll be totally shocked if they really have three albums worth of quality material.

Dookie came out when I was in 5th grade, and Insomniac came out when I was in middle school. I loved them both, and Nimrod to a lesser extent. Warning only has a few good tracks. I LOVED American Idiot (came out my Freshmen year of college, perfect timing). 21CB feels like it should be awesome but it just flat out isn't.

will buy all three, even though I haven't really cared for the songs released so far.

Been a fan since Kerplunk, but honestly my favorite has been Warning, followed closely by Insomniac and Dookie (tied for 2nd)

Just watched the video for Let Yourself Go. Hey, at least they're finally letting Jason White play from not the very back of the stage. Song isn't half bad either actually.

stuminus3

Banned
I've really enjoyed Green Day over the years but I'm getting sick to death of hearing BJA go on about how releasing three albums is somehow revolutionary.

Billy Joe Armstrong said:
“Three albums, like this, it’s never been done before and proves how free we are as a band in our approach.”

Complete fucking nonsense bullshit. Ginger Wildheart did it earlier this year with no record label backing or even a fraction of the money that Green Day have for marketing etc, caused a few minor ripples in the UK music industry doing so too. And I can guarantee that 555% is a better trilogy of records than Green Day could ever pen. And he's doing it again already, in totally different styles.

AAequal

Banned
Three fucking albums?!

Is that good or bad?
There was a time when it wasn't that unusual for rock bands to release two albums a year. Not to mention it's still nothing unusual for Jazz bands. People like John Zorn just keep pumping out good music without time limits.

Medalion

Banned
Nothing I've seen or heard interests me

And I for one enjoyed their albums from Dookie up to American Idiot

Everything else, not for me

strafer

I love the new singles.

This album will be bought day one.

Ever since I heard Basket Case I've been in love with them.

jtb

Banned
Didn't like Oh Love. Did like Kill the DJ.

I'm not very hopeful for the quality, but I am pretty certain that the three albums will bomb.

Yep. Warning is easily my favorite GD album. I wish they had continued in that vein instead of making American Idiot/21st Century Breakdown.

While 21st Century Breakdown is probably my least favorite Green Day album(there are at least 3-5 tracks I really like though), I love American Idiot. With the exception of a few songs(Wake me up When September End for one) it has a lot of songs that I love, and consider some of their best as a band.

XxCGSxX

¡UNO! just leaked and it sounds GREAT! There's a couple of Warning and Foxboro Hot Tubs like songs, Can't wait till I get my Ultimate box set!!!

forrest

formerly nacire
I'm one of the few people around here who liked American Idiot and 21st Century Breakdown more than any of their previous entries. It just felt to me like they had actually matured musically into a better band. I'll be honest though, I've never been a huge punk fan, so they're transition to a more pop rock sound with the concept/rock opera approach to their latter albums just resonated more with my personal tastes.

I'm really looking forward to seeing what these new albums sound like.

First review I've seen of ¡Uno! from Rolling Stone- 4/5
Just when you thought Green Day didn't make albums like this anymore – 12 blasts of hook-savvy mosh-pit pop, cut hot and simple with no operatic agenda – singer-guitarist Billie Joe Armstrong, bassist Mike Dirnt and drummer Tré Cool do three at once and issue them in rapid-fire installments. It's lunacy, of course, in what now passes for the music business.

In fact, Green Day's triple play with longtime co-producer Rob Cavallo is the way things used to be. In 1964 alone, the Beatles put out two albums, three singles and two EPs in Britain; the next year, the Rolling Stones whipped out five singles and three LPs in the U.S. ¡Uno! is Green Day's first studio album in three years, but they deliver it like late-breaking news, with mid-Sixties-guitar clamor, '77 velocity and no breathing room. Every track is written like a single – the glam-Jam jolt of "Nuclear Family," the Cheap Trick-style zoom and vocal sunshine of "Fell for You" – then thrown at you like a grenade. From what I've heard so far of ¡Dos! and ¡Tré!, the same goes for them too.

After the Quadrophenia-like weight and worry of 2004's American Idiot and 2009's 21st Century Breakdown, ¡Uno! feels like plain relief. There are strong whiffs of Green Day's biggest seller, 1994's Dookie, in the honed buzz of Armstrong's and Jason White's guitars, Dirnt and Cool's airtight gallop, and Armstrong's lyric emphasis on girl troubles and starting the party that never stops. There is also a hipper, richer grip in the details. The martial clip of "Carpe Diem" is an exuberant throwback to the Mod-era Who. "Troublemaker" jumps like a dirty-glitter union of U2's "Vertigo" and the Knack's "My Sharona," and has a liquid-fuzz guitar break that starts like the drone in David Bowie's "Heroes" and ends with a vicious tremolo-bar spasm, as if Jeff Beck has taken over straight from the Yardbirds.

"Stay the Night" and "Let Yourself Go" are the kind of pop-smart here's-my-fucking-problem miniatures Armstrong was writing like second nature when he, Dirnt and Cool were too young to drink (legally) where they gigged. But Armstrong is 40 now, married and a dad, and a lot of this ruckus sounds designed to drown out the time bombs ticking in his head and the maddening static outside. In "Kill the DJ," Armstrong turns the avenging spirit of the Smiths' "Panic" ("Hang the DJ") on the noxious vapors of rabid talk radio, with more Taxi Driver in his threats and a catchy echo of the Clash's "The Magnificent Seven" in the charge. Despite the jolt of Slade in the chorus, "Loss of Control" isn't about sucking up every drop at the bar. It's a lonesome fury, spit out by a guy stranded in righteousness and stung by the betrayal. "Hey, isn't that old what's-his-face/That I see walking down the street," Armstrong sneers. "We never had anything in common/And I never liked you anyway."

"Where the hell is the old gang at?" Armstrong sings to the void in "Rusty James." Unlike most adult punks, though, he still has his original sidekicks, and their band in a new peak form. The action continues with ¡Dos! in November. Seven weeks with ¡Uno! will leave you in shape, and hungry, by then.

Ixion

Listened to the stream and I personally like all the songs except for the first two singles, 'Oh Love' and 'Kill The DJ'. 'Oh Love' is boring while 'Kill The DJ' has an annoying chorus, which is a shame because the rest of the song is cool.

Anywho, it's solid, fun, catchy rock. It also has the best guitar work of any Green Day album so far, which isn't saying much, but I'll take it. Overall, it's refreshing to hear a more care-free direction, even if it's not executed perfectly the entire time.

¡DOS! is supposed to be the Garage Rock album, so I'm assuming it will be even better.

Alpha_eX

Kill the DJ is the worst track Green Day have ever done. The album is weak, Oh Love is a terrible single and one song sounds like they've ripped off one of their own songs from American Idiot, can't remember the name though.

Very disappointing.

Ixion

The album is weak

By this, do you mean it's not hard-hitting, or are you just saying it's bad?

Because if it's the former, then I agree. I feel some of these songs would be better at a faster pace. 'Rusty James' is my favorite song from the album, but when Green Day was playing it at their secret live shows, it was faster. I still like it, but I'm disappointed that they slowed it down.

Ultima_5

The links in the OP don't sound promising.... If gaf really wants a new 90s punk album they should check out NOFX's latest release =p

I need another listen to get my head around it, but one thing's for damn sure; this album is a LOT closer to older Green Day than American Idiot/ 21st Century Breakdown.

Oh Love is a terrible single.

I don't like the concept of double albums or releasing several albums close together.

You can always make a better album by just releasing the best songs on one album.

Release the cut content later as a b-sides album.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom