• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gregory Go Boom (Michael Cera)- Most Depressing "Comedy" Video Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh God I hope not. Rather I expect Cera to be see as an actor with range and get a role in a film playing something other than the awkward adolescent.
Hope you people aren't serious. The guy cannot act outside of creepy old man with a 7 year old's body that can pass for an awkward teenager.

Scott Pilgrim was an exception since it was close to the typecast.
people saying "how is this funny?" don't get it huh?
Not sure about others. I 'get it.' Still don't think it was amazing. *shrug*

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Liked it, a lot. Reminds me of a Todd Solondz film.
It sort of reminded me of a cross between that and one of those arty Kids In The Hall shorts.

Max@GC

the only funny thing about it is that he trolled youtube comedy week quite nicely...which is pretty awesome and therefore funny...best video imo.

bjb

Banned
Had it's moments - not bad. Feel like people who just completely don't 'get' this are big bang theory / how I met your mother fans.

newsguy

Thankfully I have a sixth sense for comedy and immediately fast forwarded to the end as soon as I sensed wierd shit. Terrible.

Barrage

Really original and memorable. Cera's character was fascinating, with the weird vocal tics and ending sentences a letter (or word) short. I'm glad I watched it, and have no desire to see it again. It's going to be odd, recommending my friends to watch this, but specifically when im not there.

Sanjuro

v0Z2zP6.gif

Thought it was a nice short film.

That's the one funny thing I've seen on comedy week. It was also a hugely depressing look into the marginalisation of the physically disabled and how that can have a hugely negative impact on their development as people. I thought it was a really good well acted short.

I liked it a lot. Obviously the "joke" is that it's not funny at all, but it was a masterstroke to throw in some odd statements by Cera's character that could initially be interpreted as a joke only to make the viewer ultimately feel bad for laughing.

Boem

Liked this a lot. Michael Cera often makes boring choices in which characters he plays in movies and he often plays pretty much the same character, but things like this show that he's actually quite a good actor. I can see why some people might not like it though.

I liked it a lot. Obviously the "joke" is that it's not funny at all, but it was a masterstroke to throw in some odd statements by Cera's character that could initially be interpreted as a joke only to make the viewer ultimately feel bad for laughing.

Of course it was funny! It was so awkward you could only laugh about the whole thing. Saying that the joke is that it wasn't a joke is just wrong.

GolazoDan

I kinda liked it. It wasn't laugh out loud funny but dark comedy rarely does. There's a few amusing lines that come about in the especially awkward moments. It was more interesting than funny, I suppose.

I like Michael Cera, hope he gets a few more roles where he gets to show his acting chops because he's very good. Weird saying that because a few years ago when he was getting all those roles where he played exactly the same character (George Michael but not written by Mitch Hurwitz, basically) I couldn't really stand him.

kyoya

I have to wonder if they might be shopping this short in an attempt to make it a full-length feature with Cera as the lead. I think the attempt at publicizing it as a comedy was intended to get more viewers and attention. Regardless, Cera really did a good job in this. It kind of reminded me of Gummo quite a bit.

I have a pretty fucked up sense of humor, and I didn't find this funny in the slightest.
From the beginning, you could see where this was going and it was played absolutely straight. Terrible.

Edit: Terrible as a comedy, that is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom