• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gregory Go Boom (Michael Cera)- Most Depressing "Comedy" Video Ever?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Deleted member 1235

Unconfirmed Member
Thats a hard watch. I watched all of it, but it's a hard watch.

this, I checked out the first 2 minutes. then put it on pause and am coming back. I think it might be genius. not sure it's a comedy though .I did laugh at "GAS!"

double jump

you haven't lived until a random little kid ask you "how do you make love".
wasn't lol funny but I found humor in it. im a fan darker stuff in general though.love the music and the way it was shot.

Downhome

I loved it and thought it was amazing. I was very impressed with Cera here since it was so different than anything else I've ever seen from him, and confirms my previous thoughts on him being able to eventually expand his repertoire. It wouldn't shock me if some indie studio saw this and decided to expand it to a full length feature.

Dali

I loved it and thought it was amazing. I was very impressed with Cera here since it was so different than anything else I've ever seen from him, and confirms my previous thoughts on him being able to eventually expand his repertoire. It wouldn't shock me if some indie studio saw this and decided to expand it to a full length feature.

Oh God I hope not. Rather I expect Cera to be see as an actor with range and get a role in a film playing something other than the awkward adolescent.

Ok, that was awesome. Definitely left an impression. It's definitely a black comedy, more angsty (a bit Funny Games with the red text and metal music) than a Todd Solondz which would be more subdued.

^^ Definitely got a Napolean Dynamite vibe.

megamerican

It reminded me of a dead serious, evolved (or devolved?), version of Napoleon Dynamite.

Yeah, i was thinking this is Napoleon Dynamite as done by Lars Von Trier.

What happened to Cera? Did he become like a vegetarian or something? I swear he looked manlier when he was in his teens on AD.

seat

I thought it was very memorable. Reminded me a lot of something from Todd Solondz.

Also, Brett Gelman is always fantastic. Don't care what any of you say.

thats supposed to be funny? is that some tim and eric styled funny? because that shit didnt evoke a smile at all

That was nothing like Tim and Eric, you buffoon.

katkombat

Banned
I watched it Wednesday night I think or Thursday maybe? It's dark. I think I laughed like once and at the end when
he catches himself on fire
I was like....what the fuck did I just spend 17 minutes watching?

Pretty funny, but it played too frequently on the depressed and demented side for me.
Also, that soundtrack. Grating, yet somehow fitting.

Suite Pee

Willing to learn
I love all the anti-comedy they're including in Comedy Week.

And this is definitely Tim and Eric's work. It's a JASH video.

It's not comedy, it ran for a bit too long, and it tried too hard to be awkward, but overall I liked it. There were some nice shots, and I enjoy it when a film doesn't have a happy ending just for the sake of having one.

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
Certainly wasn't unintentionally funny and didn't appear to be intentionally funny, was this associated with comedy week by accident?

Bread

Banned
Cera has a really good feel for the camera, I think he has a future as a director. I'm basing this off of his other short film, where he has his boss sing the background track for some song, I haven't seen this one yet.

rjc571

Banned
That wasn't dark comedy. They never attempted to derive any humor from the disturbia of the plot/setting/characters.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
That was great. Girl was pretty damn cute too.

vikki

I watched about 5 minutes, got bored, then shut it off. After reading some comments i finished the video. I didn't find it very disturbing. Overall it was just meh.

It has the same non funny approach that Tim and Eric does.

I think Tim & Eric is funny and I don't think this is very funny. If this was trying to be anything like T&E then it failed, but I don't think it was trying to be like T&E.

Wow. I just don't know what to think about this. Definitely bizarre. Memorable. Kinda jarring. Definitely the sort of anti-funny joke kinda thing they were doing for Comedy Week.

Ending spoiler:
Also, it was pretty obvious what was gonna happen. Especially when he bought a can of gas. I thought it would be more of an explosion, with the name, though.

Mariolee

Also just watched the Brazzaville Teen-Ager directed by Cera, and I thought that was much better. Though that may be because I could really relate his relationship with his dad with my own.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom