• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT Academy 2012: From Virtual to Reality

smiggyRT

Slight time improvement, i think switching to manual gears will make the difference or atleast help me control the slide easier.

EDOT - BOOM half a second right there, in to the 32s.

l2ounD

I've been trying to follow the top japanese ghost. So for that turn I brake a little before the rumble strip on the right and trail it to midway on the track, dropping to 2nd and letting go of the brake to slide the rear out a bit and pop it back to 3rd before hitting the throttle again. If I get that right I can touch the inside curb and full throttle out kinda quick on par with the ghost.

I use that method for the last turn too but I still lose some time to the ghost. But got in the 1:31.5s! ^^

Im thinking the cutoff will get a good chunk lower too, since there is still 10 days to go

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
1:36.539

That's pushing myself to the limit. TCS set to 7 seemed to help. But still... FUCK YOU POLYPHONY DIGITAL. Why the hell did you have to make the car requirement gold!? I don't think I'm going to get this last car at all. I either screw up somewhere or barely get there. My times are in the 1:37 range if that due to the car turning like a boat with the controller.

ruttyboy

1:36.539

That's pushing myself to the limit. TCS set to 7 seemed to help. But still... FUCK YOU POLYPHONY DIGITAL. Why the hell did you have to make the car requirement gold!? I don't think I'm going to get this last car at all. I either screw up somewhere or barely get there. My times are in the 1:37 range if that due to the car turning like a boat with the controller.

I don't understand why you think the requirement to get the car should be anything other than gold. The entire point of the academy (outside of the last round) is to learn how to get the gold times.

To put it another way, what reward should they offer for getting all the golds?

TheSeks

I don't understand why you think the requirement to get the car should be anything other than gold. The entire point of the academy (outside of the last round) is to learn how to get the gold times.

To put it another way, what reward should they offer for getting all the golds?

Useless shit I don't care about: the racing suits that me nor my army of Stigs are going to use.

Useless shit I don't care about: the racing suits that me nor my army of Stigs are going to use.

It's really lame of PD that they didn't cater to your special needs when making this Time Trial to select the best drivers for the Nissan Driving Academy. And the nerve on them to make it completly free, it's like they're teasing you on purpose Seks.

amar212

1:36.539.. due to the car turning like a boat with the controller.

I think you're making yourself a great harm for pushing the TCS to 7 and apparently braking too late.

Motegi is a very specific circuit with combination of laterally sloped high-speed turns and sections and low-speed U-turns.

If there is one track that requires "slow-in fast-out" rule, Motegi would be that one.

You should really ditch the TCS (maybe leave it on 1 if you have problems with the wheel spin on exits) and concentrate on mastering the usage of weightshift in your behalf. Proper braking points are crucial and mastering the weightshift (you need it to maintain the racing line - acceleration without going off-line - in both double-S at the beginning and two middle sloped sections) is the key.

It is not an easy test - far most demanding of all Academy - but it is really not particularly hard either. You should really just relax and start learning from your own ghost. You probably make few small mistakes on few points and you're not aware those are mistakes. Once you get it, you will win it no time.

Being on controller is not really a disadvantage but it helps if you know how to drive with accel/brake on the right-thumb where you can achieve greater precision in accel/brake.

Arcteryx

I think you're making yourself a great harm for pushing the TCS to 7 and apparently braking too late.

Motegi is a very specific circuit with combination of laterally sloped high-speed turns and sections and low-speed U-turns.

If there is one track that requires "slow-in fast-out" rule, Motegi would be that one.

You should really ditch the TCS (maybe leave it on 1 if you have problems with the wheel spin on exits) and concentrate on mastering the usage of weightshift in your behalf. Proper braking points are crucial and mastering the weightshift (you need it to maintain the racing line - acceleration without going off-line - in both double-S at the beginning and two middle sloped sections) is the key.

It is not an easy test - far most demanding of all Academy - but it is really not particularly hard either. You should really just relax and start learning from your own ghost. You probably make few small mistakes on few points and you're not aware those are mistakes. Once you get it, you will win it no time.

Being on controller is not really a disadvantage but it helps if you know how to drive with accel/brake on the right-thumb where you can achieve greater precision in accel/brake.

Yea, I'm not really having any issues with controller at all. It surely doesn't "turn like a boat"; turn off TCS and all that other gunk, it's only going to make it slower.

I turned on AS just for kicks because I saw some of the top times using it...and it definitely screws with the handling on controller, it's like it introduces input-lag or something, so definitely do NOT use it if you're already having issues with the DS.

smiggyRT

Took another couple tenths off, still losing far too much time through the fast right left turns at the end of sector 1 but at least im making progress.

andylsun

Spent another couple of hours on this tonight. Watched the fastest time in the world (1.30.9 - german guy) and it was useful.

I noticed in the options for steering wheels, the option for Power Steering. Are people running with it on or off? I've had it off, and turned it on, and that seems to help. Wheel mode is set to simulation and force feedback level set to 6.

ouchx100

So how are the picking winners from the last events? Are they picking from top times? I"m getting golds on these no problem ( first try / all assists off but abs on 1 / g27 / manual gearshifts ) with a little practice I could get pretty close to the top times I bet

ouchx100

So basically the top 32 ranks for event 8-5? Thats a small window but it will be fun to see how close I can get :p

I'm in america so I assume I can win if by some miracle I do make that small cut

ouchx100

haha yea I just got to the last event and looked at the times. I managed a 1.34 so far in about 7 laps I'll play a bit more tomorrow. Its hard to put the power down in that 370 without getting it sideways. Really gotta feather in throttle on the exit

smiggyRT

Down to 1:32.3xx, that guy's lap in 1:30.9xx was simply incredible.

Still have 8 tenths to find to reach the cut off :/

andylsun

Down to 1:32.3xx, that guy's lap in 1:30.9xx was simply incredible.

Still have 8 tenths to find to reach the cut off :/

I thought the 1.30.9 lap was surprisingly scrappy. The right hander before the tunnel (after the first set of S curves) he was at very low revs and bogging down. There was one other place where it looked like he lost time - I wonder if anyone will get in the 1.29's...

smiggyRT

I thought the 1.30.9 lap was surprisingly scrappy. The right hander before the tunnel (after the first set of S curves) he was at very low revs and bogging down. There was one other place where it looked like he lost time - I wonder if anyone will get in the 1.29's...

That's precisely why I thought it was incredible, how he managed to be so rough yet pump out that time.

paskowitz

Just got into the 31's. I was actually ahead of you, RounD, until the corner before the second bridge. I messed that one up and then went a tick slower on the final corner. My biggest problem is getting the car to rotate at the right point... and not too much. If I can get that down, there is no reason I should not be able to get to the mid 31's.

ouchx100

I managed to get down to mid 1.33 rank 5xx in about an hour of play. Turning on active steering really helped control the car through the corner after rotation then into power without a massive power slide. Now I'm wondering why I never knew about active steering until now :(

TheSeks

Fuck's sake. I've tried everything and get 1:36.600 or later. Never within the 1:35 time 8-5 wants. Fuck this shit. I'm giving up on this last car, hopefully that one is dupeable because fuck Polyphony for wanting you to pay $150 for the sake of getting an in-game car. :|

dubc35

Has anyone gotten gold and it not showed up? On 8-5 I ran a 1'35xxx (I think 1'36 was gold). Anyway I was under the gold time but it shows nothing. My time is logged and shows up against 'my friends' on the leaderboard but it doesn't show I have gold. wtf?

e* hmm, maybe bc that time was against a ghost, put down a 1'34.3 on lap 2 so all good now.

ruttyboy

Has anyone gotten gold and it not showed up? On 8-5 I ran a 1'35xxx (I think 1'36 was gold). Anyway I was under the gold time but it shows nothing. My time is logged and shows up against 'my friends' on the leaderboard but it doesn't show I have gold. wtf?

e* hmm, maybe bc that time was against a ghost, put down a 1'34.3 on lap 2 so all good now.

I had that problem on one of the earlier tests, I had to redo it before it would let me onto the next test.

Seks - I sent you a PM

I'm very disappointed in all of those using active steering :( Well, I guess I'm more disappointed in PD for allowing it to be used...

I'm also bitter that I'm moving house and can't play :(

So far 1:35:xx is my best. I have been trying with tcs on 1 and tcs off, haven't worked out which is best yet.

Does anyone use the Tyre load indicator and data logger to improve their times ,if so how?

Thanks in advance.

Arcteryx

Fuck's sake. I've tried everything and get 1:36.600 or later. Never within the 1:35 time 8-5 wants. Fuck this shit. I'm giving up on this last car, hopefully that one is dupeable because fuck Polyphony for wanting you to pay $150 for the sake of getting an in-game car. :|

You don't need a wheel to do it. Check the world leaderboards: last night there were 2 users using a controller in the world top10, and that's close to 5 seconds AHEAD of the gold time.

If you want it that badly, just spend some time running it slowly until you figure out both the car and the track; then start speeding your runs up.

andylsun

1.34.8 - gah.

I carefully watched my replays and looks like I still need to get the basics down. Not using the full width of the track into corners and missing the apex by turning in too early. Weight shift on the S sections is working better, which is something.

@Kaz_Yamauchi
Let’s see if the number of entries will reach 1 million. Pretty please? Come on in!

HDRl.jpg

thelastword

Banned
The guy in 1st place WW on 7-2 used the freaking D-pad oO

They should do a store front ad on PSN. But they won't, so it won't reach 1million.
Dont know why some of you guys doubt the controller. I've been playing GT with it from GT1 and this is where I feel comfortable, I feel that if i really want to race hard, I need to use the controller.

I do have a DFGT and i always put it down and go back to the controller for these tests, time trials, licenses you name it. On the flipside, I have not put in a good amount of hours with the wheel as a result as it's just feels weird to me and it feels like I'm wasting time when i could be doing much better with my controller. I guess i'm the only one who feels that way.

I don't doubt the controller, just the D-pad lol.

*edit*

Some of those are already outdated weekend_warrior hehe

And no I'm not complaining or asking for another update :p, I finished some of them like literally 15 mins ago so it's normal that they're not there yet.

Also, DAMN YOU ouchx100! +0'001 lol

Dont know why some of you guys doubt the controller. I've been playing GT with it from GT1 and this is where I feel comfortable, I feel that if i really want to race hard, I need to use the controller.

I do have a DFGT and i always put it down and go back to the controller for these tests, time trials, licenses you name it. On the flipside, I have not put in a good amount of hours with the wheel as a result as it's just feels weird to me and it feels like I'm wasting time when i could be doing much better with my controller. I guess i'm the only one who feels that way.

You're not. I bought a DFGT a few months ago but still use the controller when I'm actually trying to do good, like races and these tests.

I don't doubt the controller, just the D-pad lol.

*edit*

Some of those are already outdated weekend_warrior hehe

And no I'm not complaining or asking for another update :p, I finished some of them like literally 15 mins ago so it's normal that they're not there yet.

Also, DAMN YOU ouchx100! +0'001 lol

Yeah I noticed you were doing the round 8 tests while I was gathering all the info.

malyce

Finally ran a 31.3, it's so frustrating to throw away so many 31.1s and then beat your best time by a measly few hundreths.

paskowitz

1:31.7 getting closer. I can stay with a time in the 1:31.1 area until the second bridge. Then I loose a little bit. Then when I get to the second to last and last corner I loose the rest.

In a twist of events i will be home one day earlier from Rio + 20, and if Internet is working i will play GT academy for a day.

Pretty interesting to see how much i can get in one day.

I´m dying to play it, but i´ll have to wait some more.

Top Bottom