• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT Academy 2012: From Virtual to Reality

Another GT Academy winner showing great results at the real thing. Gets pole position on his first race ever at the Nurburgring.

gt_academy_mardenborough_pole.jpg

The car:
gt_academy_mardenborough_nurburgring.jpg

http://www.gtplanet.net/jann-mardenborough-on-pole-at-the-nurburgring/

ruttyboy

Concentrated on a few sessions and got 2nd place spots behind RounD. Those milliseconds are tough man

:( Not good news for me, I've been taking bloody DIY courses most evenings so I haven't had much time to concentrate on rounds 3 and 4.

I have to say though Kaze, as much as RounD clearly wasn't trying in the first two rounds and his times now are crazy unbeatable, I'm more impressed by yourself as you use a controller!

I have decided that my chances of winning are less than zero but in the mean time I am going to concentrate on beating miky_magawolaz who seems to be always just above or below me on the list :)

Can we have a top 20?

Kaze13

I should probably start trying. Club Sport Wheel arrives on Friday... after that it is on.

I tried my G27 finally and I reached my top times quickly and consistently but still unable to beat my fastest times. I think I need to focus on using it all the time now.

paskowitz

I will be honest, I am not that great at qualifying laps. I react better with other cars around me. I think the ClubSport V2 pedals are probably going to help me the most. Braking is such an important part of getting a top time. That and getting a good exit.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
How are you supposed to get past the 5-2 Hairpins? I got 31:300 instead of 31:200 or above and it's pissing me off trying to shave that last hundred milliseconds or more off. I'm going too slow in the hairpins or something and the curves are too sharp to where the car is wanting to slam into the barriers instead snaking through. :/

Kaze13

How are you supposed to get past the 5-2 Hairpins? I got 31:300 instead of 31:200 or above and it's pissing me off trying to shave that last hundred milliseconds or more off. I'm going too slow in the hairpins or something and the curves are too sharp to where the car is wanting to slam into the barriers instead snaking through. :/

Does that mean that the last few rounds are actually tough?!

TheSeks

Does that mean that the last few rounds are actually tough?!

On a controller? Probably. Round 5's car is "all-wheel drive" which "has a tendency to understeer." AKA: want to slam into barriers even with assists off on the controller and having a decent speed (or go slow when you're trying to avoid the barrier)

dubc35

Golded 5 and 6, didn't notice any increase in difficulty for the gold times. The new tracks and night sections were nice new additions.

ruttyboy

Update time!

Round 1

Round 2

Round 3

Round 4

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnnnddddd, GRAND TOTALS! (Adjusted points as always)

Aw man, after the first two rounds I was in first place, but you never updated the scores with the little trophies, and now everyone has started trying I'll never be on the top step again :(

Oh well, maybe I need to take a few days holiday or something and devote myself to it ;-)

For those of us away from our PS3s and who can't visit GT Planet at work, could someone provide a little summary of rounds 5 and 6?

amar212

could someone provide a little summary of rounds 5 and 6?

Round 5 > SKYLINE GT-R V・spec II Nür (GT Academy) '02

1. High Speed S-Bend with Steep Elevation
2. Continuous Hairpin Corners with Steep Elevation
3. Spa-Francorchamps 'Pouhon'
4. Suzuka Circuit 'Degner Curve'
5. Continuous Corner with Low Visibility at Dusk

Round 6 > GT-R Black edition (GT Academy) '12

1. Nürburgring 'Pflanzgarten'
2. Fast Uphill and Downhill Sections
3. Top Gear Test Track, 'Hammerhead'
4. Downhill S Curve
5. Sarthe in the Dark 'Hunaudieres'

http://eu.gran-turismo.com/gb/academy/2012/event/round5/

Kaze13

Golded 5 and 6, didn't notice any increase in difficulty for the gold times. The new tracks and night sections were nice new additions.

Well that was easy :/ I thought that they would ramp up the challenge by now. Will have to try next time...I wanted them to start eliminating people by this round...lol

TheSeks

So, again: how are you supposed to get through the hairpins with speed on a controller in 5-2? It's fucking impossible to gold. :/

paskowitz

Join!

2hrs of Nurburgring Endurance Race

YXEcf.png

S7bUml.jpg

Everybody is welcome to join.
BUT:It is not called "The Green Hell" for nothing. Practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1338660000z0.png
*​
*Time is subject to change based on interest and availability

Allowed cars:
Nissan GT-R N24 Schulze Motor Sports '11

Tuning allowed:
Non PP tuning is allowed but cars will be HP (550hp) and Weight (1505kg) Limited.
Tyre Selection
Sports Medium or Sports Softs are allowed during normal weather. Racing Inters or full wets are allowed only during inclement weather. Racing hard through Racing Soft Tires are NOT allowed.​
Track:

Nurburgring 24 Hour Circuit Time and Weather Change​
Laps:
~12
Weather:
Variable: Level 1
Time Change:
Scale set to ~12
Pit Stops:
Yes
Damage
Light​
Assists
TCS, ABS
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Players Participating (1 / 16) 12 Person minimum!
  • 01 - paskowitz
  • 02 -
  • 03 -
  • 04 -
  • 05 -
  • 06 -
  • 07 -
  • 08 -
  • 09 -
  • 10 -
  • 11 -
  • 12 -
  • 13 -
  • 14 -
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 -
  • R2 -
  • R3 -
  • R4 -
  • R5 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 5.00 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 5.55 PM GMT
Qualifications start - 6.00 PM GMT
Race start 6.15 PM GMT
Race end: ~8.15 PM GMT

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Please take note of the special tire rules. In addition please do not install the racing exhaust on your car or perform any engine modifications. Only Non PP tuning is allowed. The weather will be variable and the time of day will take us from day, to night, and back to day. The Nurburgring is very challenging in these conditions so please practice ahead of time so you know the course. If we do not get 12 or more people to sign up the race will be postponed until a later date.

Lounge:
Races will be held in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

Join!

TheSeks

So, again: how are you supposed to get through the hairpins with speed on a controller in 5-2? It's fucking impossible to gold. :/

Nevermind. Turning TCS off and upping ABS and the controller senstivity to like 4 helped. Then it was same for the others with ABS being 3-4 and controller 3-5 with the last race being 2. Outside of 5-2 the others were okay. 5-5 being a bitch due to having to pass the cars. Up the light and you can pretty much swing past them until the last turn where you have to manager your speed to get through quickly.

Leaves 6 to gold. >_<

dubc35

Well that was easy :/ I thought that they would ramp up the challenge by now. Will have to try next time...I wanted them to start eliminating people by this round...lol

I was hoping it would get more challenging as well. I have a feeling it's easy so everyone can get the cars (and also maybe attract new people who don't own the full GT5 game).

Kaze13

Even though you did it already, the method I use is just the basics. Slow in, complete the turn, and fast out. Finishing that turn before applying the gas is what's important in this case.

Fezan

sony marketing is really strange. ia m seeing tons of GT academy ads everywhere but they didn't thought of marketing starhawk or Vita ?

amar212

sony marketing is really strange. ia m seeing tons of GT academy ads everywhere but they didn't thought of marketing starhawk or Vita ?

GTAcademy is Nissan's project at the first place.

It is collaboration of Nissan International with their regional (local) companies which then collaborate with the Polyphony - through SCE Worldwide, but not *with* SCE directly - to set up everything for final *product*.

So it is not really a Sony's *project* TBH.

TheSeks

Fuck sake. I hate meeting the Gold limit but crossing the line at around .05 seconds later for the timer to stop. :|

I gotta figure out a way to get past the last hill in 6-2 without sliding with the default settings on a controller. Because I nearly golded it but can't seem to get the last 1 second or so shaved off to win it. UGH.

TheSeks

I gotta figure out a way to get past the last hill in 6-2 without sliding with the default settings on a controller. Because I nearly golded it but can't seem to get the last 1 second or so shaved off to win it. UGH.

Nevermind.

Golded it and the Hammerhead challenge.

What is the idea for speed and stability in the dowhill S-curve 6-4 challenge? I either am too slow trying to avoid the udnersteer or go too fast and understeer into a barrier. And I've tried all manner of assists. Seems impossible with the DS3.

TheSeks

Have you tried downloading the top ghost replays and watching them?

Most of those are probably using a wheel. :/ Is there anyway to see controller users only on the leaderboards?

Goldrusher

What is the idea for speed and stability in the dowhill S-curve 6-4 challenge? I either am too slow trying to avoid the udnersteer or go too fast and understeer into a barrier. And I've tried all manner of assists. Seems impossible with the DS3.
Again, slower is better. Find a clean, short line through the hairpins, don't try to go too fast.
Then full throttle until the final corner, where you need to brake hard.

ant3b

Nevermind.

Golded it and the Hammerhead challenge.

Even with a controller I golded them easy enough. you need to take the correct racing line and feel the car..

Its the same principle as driving a car for real.. you can go 239mph round a corner ......

take your time and brake in time and then FAST our when the cars near enough straight. Feather the throttle if need be or keep it constant but not full thorttle

paskowitz

JOIN!

2hrs of Nurburgring Endurance Race

YXEcf.png

S7bUml.jpg
ibi82zMANES7j7.gif

Everybody is welcome to join.
BUT:It is not called "The Green Hell" for nothing. Practice and make sure you know the track and the car before the race, clean racing is a must in the weekly races.

Race starts in:
t1338663000z0.png
*​
*Time is subject to change based on interest and availability
*Time table has been adjusted has been adjusted

Allowed cars:

Nissan GT-R N24 Schulze Motor Sports '11​

Tuning allowed:
Non PP tuning is allowed but cars will be HP (500hp) and Weight (1505kg) Limited. Please make sure your car is at these numbers.
Tyre Selection
Sports Medium or Sports Softs. Racing Inters/Wets are allowed if you feel you cannot control the car in wet weather with Sports tires. Otherwise you can just use Sports tires. Racing hards through softs are not allowed.​
Track:
Nurburgring 24 Hour Circuit Time and Weather Change​
Laps:
~12
Weather:
Variable: Level 1
Time Change:
Scale set to ~12
Pit Stops:
Yes
Damage
Light​
Assists
TCS, ABS
Lounge Settings:
Tyre/Fuel wear: On
Slip stream: Weak
Tyre grip reduction: Real
Players Participating (14 / 16) 12 Person minimum!
  • 01 - paskowitz
  • 02 - Toxa
  • 03 - asclepio_gtr
  • 04 - 2scoops
  • 05 - BradleyLove
  • 06 - FootballFan
  • 07 - MikeDub
  • 08 - SunhiLegend
  • 09 - Dibbz
  • 10 - RounD
  • 11 - Niks
  • 12 - ruttyboy
  • 13 - SpeedOfNuts
  • 14 - KaizorPenguin
  • 15 -
  • 16 -
  • R1 -
  • R2 - Kaze13
  • R3 - Metalmurphy
  • R4 - ashk
  • R5 - polyphony
  • R6 - chillumchilla
  • R7 - mclaren777
  • R8 -
  • R9 -

Race procedure:

Lounge opens - 4.30 PM GMT
Lounge reset - 5.45 PM GMT
Qualifications start - In the interest of time there will be no quali session.
Race start 6.50 PM GMT
Race end: ~8.00 PM GMT (please note this is our normal end time)

IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ: Rules and Regulations

Additional rules:

Qualifying will consist of 1 outlap (which will not be registered by the game) and only 1 qualifying lap. With this in mind, practice is very important for this race.

Please take note of the special tire rules. In addition please do not install the racing exhaust on your car or perform any engine modifications. Only Non PP tuning is allowed. The weather will be variable and the time of day will take us from day, to night, and back to day. The Nurburgring is very challenging in these conditions so please practice ahead of time so you know the course. If we do not get 12 or more people to sign up the race will be postponed until a later date.

Lounge:
Races will be held in the GT5NRL lounge, please add this account to your Friends list. Practice sessions will also be held in the same lounge.

TheSeks

Got it, finally. Had to abuse the off-road bits like the top scorer on that bit. 6-5 was MUCH easier, only took like 10 tries compared to the 500 I took on 6-4. :|

Top Bottom