• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GT6 Demo Tuesday 2nd July

Gestault

If even half this stuff is true, I'm sold. At work, so no chance to try it firsthand yet, but this looks incredible...

The more distinct suspension modelling, improved visual effects, and just clean look/feel to everything has me excited. The UI sounds like a welcome change too.

Bulk_Rate

Physics have much more depth than GT5. Feel as if I am driving now and not just watching a car drive, if that makes sense (I am lvl. 26 or so in GT5 FWIW).

I forgot how much I hate the current Silverstone layout. Been playing too many 60's through 80's era sims lately. It would rock if they offered some of the classic course layouts but not getting my hopes up.

Particles lighting and shadowing gif

iyiyVcdQtZ9XZ.gif

GT on PS4 is going to look nuts.

PD are fucking wizards.

jett

D-Member
Well I got bronze medals on the practice tests. I keep spinning out of control with this car, heh. I'm sure the underlying physics are vastly improved or something but I don't think I notice much of a difference. Sound design in this series continues to be terrible.

That looks insane. Is the light travelling through the smoke?

It's just a ton of 2d images, but each one is shadow tested, at least it was in GT5.
They have fixed the blocky edges thankfully, I think the actual smoke shadows are still the same low resolution but they look more pixellated now for some reason, you can also see a weird shadowed area above the car sometimes when there shouldn't be one. Overall it's a good tradeoff but I can't tell if it is another drain on the framerate.

Anyone else in this thread plays iRacing? I need a comparison between GT6 and iRacing in terms of physics.
I haven't played it with a wheel yet, but from 10 minutes with a gamepad it's clear that GT6 is far more forgiving than iRacing, just like GT5 (and most other sims). There is a wider 'window' for saving big moments. iRacing is troublesome in this area. However iRacing's strength is in the detail of the vehicle behaviour at small slip angles, and responding to subtle setup changes. Unlikely that GT6 is comparable. iRacing also has very pure FFB, whereas GT5's is over-damped and artificial - I don't expect GT6 to be much different, but will report back.

Metfanant

Nah, looks like some really low precision crap, breaks the whole image completely. GT5's shadows at least sometimes looked good. Making GT6 a PS3 game because of the "tradition" thing was a very stupid idea. It looks like a DLC at best.
looks better to me from what ive seen...ill see for myself later when i get a chance to play...

need like for like camera angles...from the outside during replays the leaf looks quite like i would expect it to look when cornering hard...

Pistolero

Ok, my impressions :

+ Lighting is beyond GT5.
+ The car models seem a bit improved.
+ They fixed the shadows.
+ Loading times much reduced.
+ Physics = Godly!

- The whole sound engine...
- Framerate issue when driving in cockpit view...

Into

What am i suppose to search for to find this? Tried Gran Turismo, tried GT Academy, i am EU

nvm found it!

It gets annoying fast if you want to play other games/watch movies and you need to switch to 1080p everytime :/

No doubt. I use blurays a lot =[. I'd love to be able to set games individually. Or at least GT have an "internal" option. Hell, you can change to 3D within GT5, why not allow us to change to 720p?.... Let's suggest that!

i turned all of the assists off, but i've noticed that all of highest-ranked players leave abs on.

Yeah, it was that way in GT5, too. and I've never really understood it. Seems like the pros should play with no assists at all. I always play with ABS on 1, but that's because I'd never pretend to be a pro and 0 ABS is hard :p. There's an enormous gulf between 0 and 1. To me it feels like there's a bigger difference from 0 to 1 than from 1 to 10. I like driving with ABS all the way off for fun, but I have to click it to 1 when I actually want to make progress in the game

Why is accelerate/brake still on square and X by default? Is that really how most people play?

Saw the grass outside the track moving as cars went by in the Autum Ring, probably not new but only noticed it now.

I really wish collisions had been improved, that's one of the things I expect on PS4 without these damn memory restrictions.

Gestault

No doubt. I use blurays a lot =[. I'd love to be able to set games individually. Or at least GT have an "internal" option. Hell, you can change to 3D within GT5, why not allow us to change to 720p?.... Let's suggest that!

I'd almost like something where you can set resolution based on the content, where games apply 720p by default, and blurays apply 1080p. Err...something like that, lol

creyas

Woah at those suspension/handling gifs. And the shadows on the smoke. Looks amazing.

Turns out I don't have a HDMI cable for my wheel display, so can't play yet. :(

Yeah a game option for resolution would be sweet. Wheel display is 720p, only thing I play on it is GT, everything else is 1080p, a pain to switch it from the XMB.

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say
Yeah, it was that way in GT5, too. and I've never really understood it. Seems like the pros should play with no assists at all. I always play with ABS on 1, but that's because I'd never pretend to be a pro and 0 ABS is hard :p. There's an enormous gulf between 0 and 1. To me it feels like there's a bigger difference from 0 to 1 than from 1 to 10. I like driving with ABS all the way off for fun, but I have to click it to 1 when I actually want to make progress in the game

ABS at 1 for me too. I hated when I would accidentally turn it to 0, then start a race. I'd realise on the first corner, restart, use the quick options to set it to 1 and off I'd go. But, because it was in the quick options, it wouldn't save the setting permanently, so the same thing would happen every race I entered with that car because I'm an idiot and would always forget to actually go to the pre-race menu and change it.

Why disable the free run option? :(

At least you can do unlimited laps on the best track in the demo, forward Autumn Ring, the AI pit after two laps so they're not in the way.

sogood.gif

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
I think they have a good basic framework in place for GT7. More powerful hardware will eliminate most of the issues we see here, all they gotta do is concentrate on the sound.

In GT5 if you have the controls configured to bring up the real time menu you can adjust the brake balance while you're driving on any car to improve it, the cars aren't at all balanced with 0 ABS in mind by default, bringing the balance forward a bit usually helps to get rid of the rear locking so easily. The balance options aren't available in this demo so I'd avoid it.

malyce

I haven't played it with a wheel yet, but from 10 minutes with a gamepad it's clear that GT6 is far more forgiving than iRacing, just like GT5 (and most other sims). There is a wider 'window' for saving big moments. iRacing is troublesome in this area. However iRacing's strength is in the detail of the vehicle behaviour at small slip angles, and responding to subtle setup changes. Unlikely that GT6 is comparable. iRacing also has very pure FFB, whereas GT5's is over-damped and artificial - I don't expect GT6 to be much different, but will report back.

Yeah, I tried it with the pad a few mins ago and there is still this large abyss between the edge of grip and the point of no return. Very forgiving. And after watching ROSSI's lap it seems like the fastest way around the track is still sliding the car through the corner, though it's a bit toned down compared to GT5. I'll have a go with the wheel later tonight.

Top Bottom