• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online monetization model leaked. Buy money. [Found on Rockstar Servers]

dmg04

#DEADWRONG
What would we need money for? Can anyone tell me and anyone else that is wondering the same thing? Seeing as this is GTA surely you can just run around as you would in single player and steal cars, maybe you need money to buy guns but if you can run over another GTA player maybe you can steal his guns and any money he has on him?

Guns, Cars, Planes, etc.

I'm guessing everything you can do in single player (weapon mods, vehicle customization) will be available online, and that does cost money.

I really hope there isn't a "garage" where you can save other players vehicles. I guarantee after every car I create, some random asshole is going to headshot me and store my car as their personal trophy, leaving me to spend loads of "hard earned" cash again.

Isn't the player's goal in GTA Online to make money?

Not for everyone.

I just wanna cruise around with friends and do silly shit

- Jumping off roots in to nice swimming pools.
- Riding trains around the map chucking grenades and shooting down copters.
- BASE jumping off anything.
- Looking for something like a swing glitch.

If I buy virtual currency it will be for weapons, just a one off.

Rafterman

Banned
Is this why the stock market never updates? So I'll be forced to buy money? I swear I bought stock 5 days ago and it hasn't changed price at all.

Madness

But with the first heist (don't read if you don't want to be spoiled)
the amount of money you make, ruins pretty much the rest of the game anyway. Hell I didn't even pick the top guys and Michael got over $1.2 million+ in cash, Franklin got like 300k and Trevor started with like almost $100k and within a few missions got like $70k more. Now it's not enough to buy a lot of properties or whatnot, but you can do pretty much anything within like 20% of the game. Buy any gun, customize it, customize dozens of cars etc.

So it seems a bit pointless no?

Luthos

The new SSX has this and it wasn't a problem at all, as it could be ignored

I estimate this will be about the same

What do you think the possibility is of developers making money harder to earn in-game so that players may feel a need to take shortcuts to get more?

Now I will never buy fake game money with real money, but for me that would still mean the developers purposely made getting the game money harder, and that would still affect me.

deleted

My take on this: They will release GTAO and all of it will be playable without buying anything at all.

But the game will get updated regularly and evolve into a F2P title. New missions and stuff for your home, weapons, card mods and clothes will cost money - which you can earn ingame or buy like in other F2P titles too.

GTAville, I won't be investing cash into online in this way.. I'd buy expansion packs etc but not cash to buy hangouts or virtual clothes, il just play the online missions and hang out in my car robbing people who look like they have spent loads on customising there appearance...

Hang on get the news on the phone this is gonna turn me in to a real life mugger by distorting my view of how to act in a socially accepted way!!

Septimius

Yes, it is. Even after doing the last mission.

There is a piece of property worth $150 million dollars in the single player. After you are done with the game, I really can't see how anyone would raise that money. Even with the infinite money glitches, you will get nowhere near close to that number.

I could buy a bar for 700,000$. It would make 7,000$. That means 100 ingame weeks to regain your investment. I was pretty baffled. But what's to stop us from just sleeping over and over and passing 100 weeks? I mean, you'd have to go to sleep 2800 times to do it, but whatever, right?

I have no idea how this money model was passed. I regret buying any property at all. Like, I regret it a lot. I'd rather just go through the game, not buy any property, not do the assassinations missions I ruined by doing way too early, and get a lot of money. When I've done the main story line, I'd do the assassination missions and get 5 times more money. Bah.

Septimius

But with the first heist (don't read if you don't want to be spoiled)
the amount of money you make, ruins pretty much the rest of the game anyway. Hell I didn't even pick the top guys and Michael got over $1.2 million+ in cash, Franklin got like 300k and Trevor started with like almost $100k and within a few missions got like $70k more. Now it's not enough to buy a lot of properties or whatnot, but you can do pretty much anything within like 20% of the game. Buy any gun, customize it, customize dozens of cars etc.

So it seems a bit pointless no?

This is the other side of the coin. I still have a buttload of money. Aside from buying property, I really don't need it. Why am I fretting over not having the maximum amount of money I could have, when I still have more than enough?

I guess it's since I bought a fucking stupid property with Franklin, and I really just don't need it. I guess I'll look into going back to a save from days ago when I hadn't bought that property, and redoing it. Means I get a couple of assassination missions more to save, too. I just don't like being fooled by a game. I feel fooled into doing the assassination missions too soon, and I feel fooled into buying property that, in the end, is completely useless.

EDIT: Because, really. The bar takes 100 ingame weeks to recoup your investment. The cinema costs 20,000,000 and makes you 246,000 per week. 81 weeks. You get a couple of missions with the bar. Smoke on the water takes 20 weeks. Ok, so I actually didn't make the worst investment. I guess I feel a bit better now, because I wasn't completely fucked over. Strange.

I regret it a lot. I'd rather just go through the game, not buy any property, not do the assassinations missions I ruined by doing way too early, and get a lot of money. When I've done the main story line, I'd do the assassination missions and get 5 times more money. Bah.

Im not too far into the game, just brought the airfield, so no spoilers but would you recommend to just do the main story first then and not invest too much cash into property..and leave assassination missions to post game?

broony

First impressions are I don't like this but I will wait and see. It could be just a leg up for people who don't want to invest time in the game, it could be an evil economy that ruins the game for non payers.

I guess this is what may be funding the expansions of GTA online they were talking about with new content coming all the time. They talked about how this was just the start.

BigDug13

So this means that everything is dedicated servers, right? I mean with real money involved, there's no way any of the online can be p2p.

And based on the insane sales that the game is enjoying, I predict Diablo 3 levels of server fucked-up-ness.

Septimius

Im not too far into the game, just brought the airfield, so no spoilers but would you recommend to just do the main story first then and not invest too much cash into property..and leave assassination missions to post game?

That's what I wish I did. But I did most of the assassination missions. Now I wish I hadn't.

erawsd

What do you think the possibility is of developers making money harder to earn in-game so that players may feel a need to take shortcuts to get more?

Now I will never buy fake game money with real money, but for me that would still mean the developers purposely made getting the game money harder, and that would still affect me.

Personally, I guess I have some faith that Rockstar won't completely dick over its fans. They could be cutting a ton of corners in the single player side of the game (like most of the industry) but they do a damn good job of delivering a value that far exceeds anything else out there.

Madness

Lol, I figured it all out after the first Lester mission.

Lester was like, this will make their stock plummet and Betta Pharmaceuticals skyrocket and like I put all $300k from Franklin in, I canceled the mission, put all of Michaels $1.2 million in and all of Trevor's like $170k. They try to get you to buy the airfield with Trevor's money, but why?

After the first mission, got like a 40% return on the investment and then I realized to save my money, and put all I had into the other company when doing Lester's missions.

I figure, I'll have several millions for each character when I'm near the end of the story, and can save Lester missions for a while and if they all pay like 20-60% returns I could finish with like $50-$60 million or more for each if I'm smart.

I guess this is the best place to ask. Is there any chance that GTA Online will be available as a standalone thing, or would I still have to buy the base game?

whoszed

Honestly the game is pretty damn big and the Online as well so I don't mind. Doesn't really affect my playing as long as you're not earning like 500 bucks per mission.

Carcetti

Isn't the player's goal in GTA Online to make money?

To buy guns, cars, real estate and stocks?

Yeah, but that's the point. If you're buying the money, you're robbing yourself out of the traditional GTA rags to riches gameplay. Unless making money is absotely impossible in GTA Online without RL money, this doesn't affect me in the slightest. Making money might be hard in GTA V but the only expensive thing are properties and they're for most part useless. I like how buying a Tow Company for example is just a money pit. You'll never actually earn a dime because the payout is so low.

Plus I'll be hanging with my old RDR posse anyway, so random players can fund Rockstar however they want.

Septimius

Thanks, I wont bother with houses etc then just shops. Is there a specific reason why leaving assassinations gives you more money post game.. Or is that a spoiler?

It's no spoiler that you make money throughout the game. So that means you'll have a lot of money when you're done with the main story, and if you then start doing the assassinations, you can double, triple and more with it.

So stay away from the Lester missions with Franklin.

And here's a great stock tip for those missions:
Lester will have you kill a major head at one of the companies. The rival company will rise a lot due to this, so before you do the mission, invest all the money you have on all characters. That means when you start a mission, and Lester tells you which two companies you're dealing with, like "kill the guy of <this company>, that'll make the stock of <that company> rise". Wast yourself, invest all your money on <that company>, restart the mission. Do it, wait a few hours for <that company>'s stock to peak. Sell everything, and invest it all in <this company>. <this company> just saw a huge hit in their stock, but it'll rebound over the next days of in-game time. Let it go back up, and you can triple your money.

Lol, I figured it all out after the first Lester mission.

Lester was like, this will make their stock plummet and Betta Pharmaceuticals skyrocket and like I put all $300k from Franklin in, I canceled the mission, put all of Michaels $1.2 million in and all of Trevor's like $170k. They try to get you to buy the airfield with Trevor's money, but why?

After the first mission, got like a 40% return on the investment and then I realized to save my money, and put all I had into the other company when doing Lester's missions.

I figure, I'll have several millions for each character when I'm near the end of the story, and can save Lester missions for a while and if they all pay like 20-60% returns I could finish with like $50-$60 million or more for each if I'm smart.

Yup. About the airfield they set you up to buy with Trevor, that's actually one of the only worthwhile investments in the game. If you do somewhere between 10 and 20 plane-missions, you'll get more than you put in. I forget what the number was, but if it cost 100k, and you get 7k per, means you'll have to do 15 to make money.

So stay away from the Lester missions with Franklin.

And here's a great stock tip for those missions:
Lester will have you kill a major head at one of the companies. The rival company will rise a lot due to this, so before you do the mission, invest all the money you have on all characters. That means when you start a mission, and Lester tells you which two companies you're dealing with, like "kill the guy of <this company>, that'll make the stock of <that company> rise". Wast yourself, invest all your money on <that company>, restart the mission. Do it, wait a few hours for <that company>'s stock to peak. Sell everything, and invest it all in <this company>. <this company> just saw a huge hit in their stock, but it'll rebound over the next days of in-game time. Let it go back up, and you can triple your money.

For some reason my brain wasnt working and realising by assassination missions you meant the Lester ones, I've only done the lifeinvader one so far so thanks for the tip that's great and should help me loads in buying everything post game!! Now I wonder if our sp cash goes into mp..as il just hoard it all if so

Someone who is concerned about reserving say $10-$20 for food really shouldn't be spending $60 on the game.

True but this wasn't the point being made...

I'd rather spend £10 on a nice lunch, or a cd or full digital game, old retail game then on some virtual cash for a virtual house and clothes..the original point was not about affording something but the perceived value of a purchase

Billen

Banned
Surprisingly small amount of vitriol given the amount of hate GAF piled on previous games with such mechanics.

I am waiting to see what happens. Since Rockstar has talked about this world building being part of everything from now on, I am curious on how this will play out.

Hazanko

Banned
I guess it needs to be seen how it is implemented and what the money can buy/how easy it is to make money ingame etc.

Doesn't need to be seen. Spending money for stuff in game is wrong period. I wish some lawmakers had the balls to stop these greedy assholes putting stuff like this in games.

Drazgul

What, you guys thought they'd add the online mode purely out of the goodness of their hearts? You're cattle to be milked, not their friends.

I really don't like that. In most games in which you can buy some digital money, actually earning that digital money in the game for free requires some heavy farming. I hope they won't completely fuck up the progression of the MP with that crap, especially when I've already bought the game at full price instead of some f2p.

Many F2P games that I've played where money is involved end up feeling like gambling for things rather than playing a game. Something is wrong with that.

Like what?

And other games have implemented the F2P model successfully, to the benefit of players.

What, you guys thought they'd add the online mode purely out of the goodness of their hearts? You're cattle to be milked, not their friends.

70 euros for the game isn't milking enough? and they're going to sell like 20-30 million copies.. GTAs have the longest legs. absolutely no need for silly microtransactions or whatever. in fact i don't think there's a better example of a game that doesn't need them.

like someone in this thread said, Rockstar and GTA should be making fun of these types of monetization models and not actually use them.. very disappointing if this is true. but oh well i probably wouldn't play it much anyway, GTAIV's online was pretty bad IMO (almost everyone using autoaim lol, glitchy/laggy traffic and peds etc) and i don't have high hopes for this either.

Bedlam

I probably wouldn't have touched the MP anyway but now it's an easy decision not to do so. At least thanks for that R*. May the whales be with you!

This is probably the most unattractive MP mode in a R* game for me yet. I mean, it's not like they have ever been great in that regard (RDR could've been great if the world in MP hadn't been completely empty).

So you're not going to even check out the MP of a game you own, because of a rumour that is merely being speculated upon and the worst being assumed - with absolutely no confirmation of what this exactly is or how it's being implemented (or even if it is).

That being said, I'll be disappointed if it's implemented poorly.
MP in R* games never really appealed to me but there was a slight chance I might give it a try this time. Not anymore. I'm not touching monetized MP modes out of principle.

There is likely no benefit to having all this cash though. Most of what you get in GTAO by the sounds of things is cosmetic. Car upgrades, houses, clothes and weapons to an extent.

Ad just look at Max Payne 3 multiplayer, level 1s with ridiculously op weapons. Rockstar already doesn't know how to balance weapons, adding in microtransactions makes it even worse. And in a game like this it makes me really mad, leader boards will be screwed up, exploration with randoms won't be as good ("lel I cn just spawn in this tank, y explore? ;p), the progression from completing heists and missions will be pointless, etc.

I probably wouldn't have touched the MP anyway but now it's an easy decision not to do so. At least thanks for that R*. May the whales be with you!

So you're not going to even check out the MP of a game you own, because of a rumour that is merely being speculated upon and the worst being assumed - with absolutely no confirmation of what this exactly is or how it's being implemented (or even if it is).

That being said, I'll be disappointed if it's implemented poorly.

Hazanko

Banned
Like what?

And other games have implemented the F2P model successfully, to the benefit of players.

Just recently been playing DCUO. Some items you need for skill points drop in the vault. It's free once a day for members that pay monthly (can take year if you do it once a day btw) but for free you need to buy tickets to get into the vault for a chance to get these items. There is a very low drop rate for these items so people can spend lots of money.

If the game is free, there are many things that you can charge that won't have a big impact on the game but stuff like the above just crosses a line and is close to gambling IMO. I'm sure they do it in a way that doesn't go that far but it's fucking bullshit and I'm sick of seeing publishers or whoever putting these types of things into a game.

Tacitus_

I guess it needs to be seen how it is implemented and what the money can buy/how easy it is to make money ingame etc.
I expected a lot more posts like this:
Doesn't need to be seen. Spending money for stuff in game is wrong period. I wish some lawmakers had the balls to stop these greedy assholes putting stuff like this in games.

since that's how people lost their heads before when devs put in stuff to bypass gameplay.

GlamFM

Banned
Just recently been playing DCUO. Some items you need for skill points drop in the vault. It's free once a day for members that pay monthly (can take year if you do it once a day btw) but for free you need to buy tickets to get these items. There is a very low drop rate for these items so people can spend lots of money.

If the game is free, there are many things that you can charge that won't have a big impact on the game but stuff like the above just crosses a line and is close to gambling IMO. I'm sure they do it in a way that doesn't go that far but it's fucking bullshit and I'm sick of seeing publishers or whoever putting these types of things into a game.

Calling GTA f2p is taking things a bit far don´t you think?

Since we all know there is an infinite amount of money in GTA ( you could kill 100.000 peds to make millions ) I think it is safe to assume that the money you can buy will only be there to speed things up.

If, IF they introduce a second currency to the eco system that only consists of *real money* it´s time to be upset.

Not now.

Top Bottom