• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online monetization model leaked. Buy money. [Found on Rockstar Servers]

Korezo

How does money carry over exactly when each character has their own? The fourth character slot on the bottom is supposed to be your online character who will have his own bank account. So how do you transfer money from Trevor or Michael to Online-dude?

Most likely it's a separate bank account.

Idk, but people here were saying you can use your single player money for online. If that's true I think you'll be able to transfer money through bank accounts.

ShinMaruku

Because unlike other AAA studio games that are struggling, they made $1 billion in like 5 days. They don't "have" to attempt to milk customers when the game is going to generate even more billions in sales plus whatever actual content DLC they come up with. Milking us only sours people on your brand and your studio and in this instance, it's unnecessary since the game is wildly successful and is making quite a few executives very rich.

They are in the business of making money they will do whatever they think they can get away with. Now if people don't bite and get milked then next time they won't do so.

duckroll

Idk, but people here were saying you can use your single player money for online. If that's true I think you'll be able to transfer money through bank accounts.

Unless they're patching the feature in, I don't see how it's going to happen.

BigDug13

I see no problem with this. Some people just don't have the time to farm da moneyz.

Sigh. The "let everyone buy everything that would ordinarily take time to achieve in a game" being ok mentality is.....disappointing.

It's why this direction is seen as totally fine by the executives because there are enough gamers who are totally down with this style of game design.

I guess eventually we won't be able to have any good multiplayer games without some way for people to spend real money to have a leg up.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
GTA Online partially delayed so this wouldn't impact the review scores for GTA V?

I like most people with a full time job have no problem with this.

You actually should have a problem with it.

With a full time job you won't have much time for multiplayer, forcing you to use their P2W microtransactions in order to keep up.

As another person with a full time job, I'm livid.

terrible

Banned
Gross. This just means they'll probably make earning money a complete grind otherwise nobody would buy in-game money with real money.

And I hate grinding for anything in a game.

That would pretty much fit with the direction most major games are heading.

Remember that thing Gen 7 Dogma was so bent upon, of nothing getting in the way of "the fun" in games? The grinding, the learning, the patience? Of how it was better, and that game design was said to have gotten better by doing so?

Generation 8 is truly here.

No Love

Banned
Naw, fuck this shit. I can make $1 mill every 10 minutes by swimming down to the crashed sub by Los Santos with 1 character, grab the $25k suitcase full of cash, have another character on the beach nearby, and switch back and forth between them over and over with instant load times since they're so close to one another.

Suck it, Rockstar. Anybody who buys these is a fool.

vehn

Wonder if the single player / multiplayer money accounts will be the same. So if you're rich in one you're also rich in the other

BigDug13

They are in the business of making money they will do whatever they think they can get away with. Now if people don't bite and get milked then next time they won't do so.

Right, but isn't souring the GTA name that has earned billions to the point where the next installment sees less sales not really worthwhile? You don't want to push gamers away from your series through policies when it seems like on the single player front, they knocked it out of the park.

I mean if it's really the worst case scenario of p2w, then the next game hype will be full of "how are they going to milk us this time" news articles and opinion pieces.

Twinduct

Well I for one welcome this change! Rarely do I have enough time to compete against online nerds who can play all day without worrying about a career or a family!

The way I see it this is the industry's way of saying 'Hey! Fatty! Stop wasting your time! Get a Job! Move out of your parents basement and shave that neckbeard!'.

Looking forward to a time where the only way you can progress in a game is by buying more of it!

MormaPope

Banned
Sigh. The "let everyone buy everything that would ordinarily take time to achieve in a game" being ok mentality is.....disappointing.

It's why this direction is seen as totally fine by the executives because there are enough gamers who are totally down with this style of game design.

I guess eventually we won't be able to have any good multiplayer games without some way for people to spend real money to have a leg up.

I know it sucks for you man, but we might or probably will be able to steal from the people that use real money for planes and other vehicles. Steal their shit and sell it in-game, and whoever is involved in the heist gets a cut.

Modern day Robin Hood.

BigDug13

Naw, fuck this shit. I can make $1 mill every 10 minutes by swimming down to the crashed sub by Los Santos with 1 character, grab the $25k suitcase full of cash, have another character on the beach nearby, and switch back and forth between them over and over with instant load times since they're so close to one another.

ROFL and you don't think exploits like this won't be immediately patched out once real money enters the picture?

Holy shit.

Yes, buying cash means it goes straight into the bank account. BUT anything they buy such as jets or cars can probably be stolen. Rockstar themselves have said you need to keep an eye on your own stuff or even hire people to watch it for you.

The duder that buys a million dollar jet might not have it when GAF Street rolls on by, and if duder buys multiple cars or jets with real cash its time for large scale heists.

I'm actually hoping now real cash can be used, just to grief the fuck out of people. If real cash is in, and you can steal what they buy, its time to do some scores.

EDIT: I don't know if it would be against Microsoft's/Sony's TOS, but holding a jet or vehicle ransom for marketplace currency would be hilarious. My god, stealing some kid's jet or tank and making them pay up would be glorious.

Lol I seriously doubt something you buy with real money can be lost/stolen for good. If its stolen or lost it'll probably just spawn for you again. Rockstar isnt that moronic.

MormaPope

Banned
GTA Online partially delayed so this wouldn't impact the review scores for GTA V?

With how many people bought the game day one, the online portion would't work to begin with. It was honestly a smart move by Rockstar, the two weeks may or may not help at all in the end though.

duckroll

Lol I seriously doubt something you buy with real money can be lost/stolen for good. If its stolen or lost it'll probably just spawn for you again. Rockstar isnt that moronic.

Well, right now anything you buy in the single player game can actually get lost for good because their garage code doesn't even work properly. They're supposed to be patching it soon though. Lol. :p

ShinMaruku

Right, but isn't souring the GTA name that has earned billions to the point where the next installment sees less sales not really worthwhile? You don't want to push gamers away from your series through policies when it seems like on the single player front, they knocked it out of the park.

I mean if it's really the worst case scenario of p2w, then the next game hype will be full of "how are they going to milk us this time" news articles and opinion pieces.

Some of the suits probably think "These guys will buy our things regardless, they love our shit" That allows them to think they can get away with it.

Almost guaranteed to be fixed in the patch on Oct 1. Take note fools, apply the MMO principle of exploit early, exploit often here. If they are going to sell in-game bux for real money, they will plug this hole even faster than a Day0 exploit!

Why not though? You lose it, you steal someone else's or pony up the dough for another. Seems pretty easy to exploit to me, assuming stolen goods are gone forever.

BigDug13

This would probably put a damper on me double dipping on the PC/PS4 is/when that happens.

I wouldn't worry about the PC double dip. It's only a matter of time before there is another player-run server you can connect to that won't have cash transactions and will have a community policing itself against cheaters. Bigger PC games usually have communities that create their own builds that are able to bypass this kind of bullshit eventually.

I mean I can play Everquest with over 1000 people like it was patched to the Kunark expansion like it's 1999 with strict rules against 2 boxing, etc. And the PC player-run version of GTA V will probably be more like an MMO without a 16 gamer limit in the game world.

I see no problem with this. Some people just don't have the time to farm da moneyz.
Yes, and these monetization schemes make it certain that games will continue to require a significant time investment to get da moneyz. In fact, these schemes just make it more profitable to extend the length of those grinds. The longer and more arduous the grind, the more likely people will part with their money to skip past it.

Grinds now exist to justify paid DLC.

MormaPope

Banned

You're paying for cash, not items or vehicles. It isn't moronic that you may lose something you payed real money for, it makes buying those things potentially more risky than before.

People being able to lose a ton of shit they payed for with real life money might curve how much people rely on that factor. This implementation of micro transactions could potentially be genius.

BigDug13

You're paying for cash, not items or vehicles. It isn't moronic that you may lose something you payed real money for, it makes buying those things potentially more risky than before.

People being able to lose a ton of shit they payed for with real life money might curve how much people rely on that factor. This implementation of micro transactions could potentially be genius.

Or the opposite happens. This implementation of micro transactions with items that other people can steal from you will cause a huge amount of backlash and will cause Rockstar to change the way the game works in order to accommodate cash purchases being able to be kept.

Why not though? You lose it, you steal someone else's or pony up the dough for another. Seems pretty easy to exploit to me, assuming stolen goods are gone forever.

Because who in their right mind would actually spend money on this then? What happens if you lag out and get your shiny new tank jacked? Lol. Im thinking only the guy who owns it will be able to drive it.

ShinMaruku

Yes, and these monetization schemes make it certain that games will continue to require a significant time investment to get da moneyz. In fact, these schemes just make it more profitable to extend the length of those grinds. The longer and more arduous the grind, the more likely people will part with their money to skip past it.

Grinds now exist to justify paid DLC.
Yup. Sometimes theses things pervert design to justify their pay scheme.

terrible

Banned
Almost guaranteed to be fixed in the patch on Oct 1. Take note fools, apply the MMO principle of exploit early, exploit often here. If they are going to sell in-game bux for real money, they will plug this hole even faster than a Day0 exploit!

That's just a single player thing though. They can't do much about it either. If they patch it people will just delete the patch and exploit it offline then patch up later when they have all the money they need.

Because who in their right mind would actually spend money on this then? What happens if you lag out and get your shiny new tank jacked? Lol. Im thinking only the guy who owns it will be able to drive it.

Why do people spend hundreds of dollars on in-game items for Dota2, TF2, and CSGO?

There's always someone.

Teknoman

As long as I can experience all GTA Online has to offer with friends and GAF, and not have to pay anything extra, i'm fine. Its not like its some crazy pay to win scenario.

TheSoviet

Neo Member
Hopefully transferable form SP to MP via some form on investment. Not paying real money for this when SP is missing out on content that should have been there from the start.

Neiteio

Sounds cool if you can steal what these players buy with their in-game money. Raises the stakes, without actually causing anyone any real financial harm. Didn't Rockstar say people would have to guard their assets in GTO?

border

Not enough is known about GTA Online to really say whether this is bad or not. I seriously doubt that PVP will involve getting your important vehicles permanently stolen.

The weapons in the game cost next to nothing. You won't need to buy currency to deck yourself out with every in-game weapon. I would be far more concerned about weapon balance in multiplayer than I would "Pay2Win".

Car racing might be the only competitive area where P2W becomes something of a problem.

Is there a property that costs $150 million dollars in the game? Yes. Is there any advantage to owning it. Nope. To me this just feels like an attempt to fuck over 100% completionists or morons that buy in-game items that are merely status symbols, but rational players won't have to worry about much.

MormaPope

Banned
Another glorious scenario, someone uses real cash to get GTA money, they buy a expensive plane or car, they look for people to pay to guard said vehicles. Imagine being an undercover thief who gets paid to guard something, and instead steals it right from the owner.

Not only would you get cash from the initial guarding transaction, you also steal what they paid for to begin with. Maximum griefing, awesome inside job heists. I want GTA Online to be incredibly treacherous and grimy.

Sounds cool if you can steal what these players buy with their in-game money. Raises the stakes, without actually causing anyone any real financial harm. Didn't Rockstar say people would have to guard their assets in GTO?

Yup. It's speculation from my end if real life cash assets can be stolen, I hope I'm right.

Sounds cool if you can steal what these players buy with their in-game money.
This right here is when I jump out of this medium. The very wet dream of every suit that whispered about micro-transactions and paying real money for ammo at the beginning of this generation.

The cynical moneygrab of getting people to buy expendable virtual items. Its been creeping into everything, bit by bit, and twisting games, bit by bit.

So I guess Oblivion's horse armor was a good thing now?

Teknoman

Another glorious scenario, someone uses real cash to get GTA money, they buy a expensive plane or car, they look for people to pay to guard said vehicles. Imagine being an undercover thief who gets paid to guard something, and instead steals it right from the owner.

Not only would you get cash from the initial guarding transaction, you also steal what they paid for to begin with. Maximum griefing, awesome inside job heists. I want GTA Online to be incredibly treacherous and grimy.

Yup. It's speculation from my end if real life cash assets can be stolen, I hope I'm right.

I'd play it. Sounds like they could then pay people to constantly grief that person on site as well though.

Xater

I always have a problem with such monetization schemes in full priced games. If you have to sell in game money or experience to speed up the progression then maybe there is something wrong with your design. Otherwise you are either not confident in your design or it is set up in a way to leech more money off your customers.

BigDug13

But when a game like this completely goes beyond satire and truly blurs the lines between virtual crime and actual crime, isn't that even worse than the complaints about this game being a murder simulator?

It would instead become a more realistic simulator for actual larceny, which then makes this an actual crime game. That sounds more damaging since I think people are way more willing to steal from each other than actually kill each other in real life.

Aureon

Please do not let me serve on a jury. I am actually a crazy person.
I look forward to a 250$ gold-plated tank that will be immediately ganged up on sight.

If it's ANYTHING like EVE, it's gon be gud.

cdkee

Banned
I know it sucks for you man, but we might or probably will be able to steal from the people that use real money for planes and other vehicles. Steal their shit and sell it in-game, and whoever is involved in the heist gets a cut.

Modern day Robin Hood.

Just let the idiots buy things, and then steal them from their dead bodies :)

MormaPope

Banned
I'd play it. Sounds like they could then pay people to constantly grief that person on site as well though.

That's why being in a crew will help immensely. The code of GAF Street is you don't fuck with people in GAF Street, or anyone that's a known member on GAF. Everyone else is a target and a sucker. GAF will protect it's own.

EVE Online has ships and other things that are worth thousands of dollars in real life marketplaces, and those ships can be decimated in an instant in certain opportunities. GTA Online having these risks doesn't seem illegal or too far fetched.

Top Bottom