• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA Online monetization model leaked. Buy money. [Found on Rockstar Servers]

MormaPope

Banned
But when a game like this completely goes beyond satire and truly blurs the lines between virtual crime and actual crime, isn't that even worse than the complaints about this game being a murder simulator?

It would instead become a more realistic simulator for actual larceny, which then makes this an actual crime game. That sounds more damaging since I think people are way more willing to steal from each other than actually kill each other in real life.

Thing is no one actually needs to buy cash, cash can be earned in any number of ways. If people are willing to gamble with their own cash and realize the risks, it isn't that terrible if they don't guard their assets and such.

I can go out and buy some ship for EVE Online that costs hundreds of dollars in real life, only for it to be destroyed in any number of ways.

Eusis

At least now we know why GTA Online wasn't hidden behind an Online Pass. Amirite? :)
Admittedly has Rock star ever done that? Through whether or not they did Online Passes were kind of an idiotic idea in any game with a serious DLC push (why on earth erect a barrier to keep people from BUYING a $50 DLC package!?)

dreamfall

That's why being in a crew will help immensely. The code of GAF Street is you don't fuck with people in GAF Street, or anyone that's a known member on GAF. Everyone else is a target and a sucker. GAF will protect it's own.

EVE Online has ships and other things that are worth thousands of dollars in real life marketplaces, and those ships can be decimated in an instant in certain opportunities. GTA Online having these risks doesn't seem illegal or too far fetched.

Proudly reppin' GAF Street!

If it is a grind, but everything is achievable without spending money, I'm more than alright with it. I'll be spending years playing this game anyway- but, if certain weapons are unlocked earlier for those who have paid/it changes the dynamic of how the game works, I'll be pretty upset.

As far as single player content goes, my money was more than well spent. For multiplayer, I think microtransactions were inevitable- just don't mess with the balance of the game!

RionaaM

Unconfirmed Member
This right here is when I jump out of this medium. The very wet dream of every suit that whispered about micro-transactions and paying real money for ammo at the beginning of this generation.

The cynical moneygrab of getting people to buy expendable virtual items. Its been creeping into everything, bit by bit, and twisting games, bit by bit.

So I guess Oblivion's horse armor was a good thing now?
The horse armor couldn't be lost upon death or due to theft, so yeah. It'd be considered a far good thing nowadays.

Dispensable goods is what's hot today. And I also think it's bullshit.

BigDug13

Quoting for posterity.

What's that mean? Do you disagree with what I said? People will find exploits, that's a fact. But I also think that now that there is an economy that includes currency purchased with real money, I absolutely think that Rockstar will do everything it can to patch exploits out as they are found as quickly as they can.

cdkee

Banned
Don't get too worked up about this, guys.

You can still play missions with your friends at the end of the day. If you don't want to play it, don't. I'll be playing it just fine without spending any money.

Bizazedo

CCP sells isk and ships for real money now?

Well....

You can buy PLEX for real $$. It's gametime, essentially. You can then sell it in-game for in-game money(ISK). The price of it varies like any real economy.

You can then use that in-game money to buy ships.

So, no, BUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUT....

ShogunX

Honestly don't see the problem. Anybody who plans to spend a decent amount of time in multiplayer more than likely wont need this. Normally these things are for people who want to enjoy the higher end stuff without the time effort to earn them.

Money is extremely easy to come by in this game, especially online if what we're hearing is true. Just spend the time playing instead of complaining...

BigDug13

Honestly don't see the problem. Anybody who plans to spend a decent amount of time in multiplayer more than likely wont need this. Normally these things are for people who want to enjoy the higher end stuff without the time effort to earn them.

But why is this new mentality a thing, where people who don't have time to game should see all the content by just throwing more dollars into a hobby they don't even have time for? It's like saying you should be able to spend real money to unlock Las Venturas right away in San Andreas.

erawsd

I'll save my opinion on this until its released and we have a much clearer picture of what GTA online is all about and what ramifications this may have on the integrity of the game world.

My gut reaction is that as long as there are appropriate means for earning money and having money isn't big advantage, then it won't be a big deal.

oneils

This sounds like someone trying to ape Rockstar and how they handle descriptions. And then here are the amounts for cash in the text file:

$100,000
$200,000
$500,000
$1,250,000

What would be the price difference between $100,000 and $200,000 when it concerns real cash? Lets say $100,000 is $5, would $200,000 be $7.50 or $10.00? And then for whatever reason the million dollar option isn't a million dollars, its slightly above that mark.

The actual dollar amounts are extremely odd if they were legit. It would make more sense for a $100,000, $500,000, and $1,000,000 range instead of whats in the file.

If this is true it isn't a gigantic biggie, but this seems incredibly fake and fishy.

Putting in the 1.25 Mil option would give the impression that you are getting a discount when compared to the 500k option. Lets say 500k for 5$ and 1.25 mil for 10 bucks. More incentive for people to spend more money.

I'm not yet convinced that this is what is happening. Seems like they could have easily adopted a system similar to what valve has in Dota2 and TF2 and still made tons of money.

ironcreed

Banned
I fully expected them to add things, as they are growing the online into it's own thing. I am already getting my money's worth out of the game and then some, so I might end up buying something here and there if I like the online enough. No big deal, really.

megamerican

Rockstar already got my money. And it was well deserved. I wasn't too hyped on the online portion anyway, although this does seem like an uncharacteristic move of that company.

Having finished the story, the only things I can't acquire are two cinemas and the golf course. Granted, I have no idea how anyone's supposed to be able to amass $150m. That's about 6 times what I had. So depending on what you get out of owning the golf course, this may or may not be shitty.

Or will this be separate from the single player economy?

But why is this new mentality a thing, where people who don't have time to game should see all the content by just throwing more dollars into a hobby they don't even have time for? It's like saying you should be able to spend real money to unlock Las Venturas right away in San Andreas.

It's not a new thing. It's always been around. It's the same mindset that caused people to buy strategy guides or game genies. It's the same reason magazines like GamePro and EGM used to have tips and tricks sections. Buy this magazine and we'll give you the infinite lives code, or teach you how to do every fatality in Mortal Kombat so that you see all the content you normally wouldn't.

ShogunX

Not really new as EA have been offering paid shortcuts for a number of years. They are not something I would use but not everybody has the time to grind for new items. Probably best waiting for more details anyway as money could be easy to attain or this paid content might not even make an appearance.

I found it suspicious that this game didn't have a season pass, but it's no biggie to me really. If I like a game enough I'll be more than happy to spend some real credits on stuff, provided it isn't a rip off. And I love this game a lot. I'm really hoping the online is great.

People have less time but still want to compete to a certain extend.
They may have the skill but not the 10 hours/day time slot from when they were 14~20 years old. They could perhaps play 2~3 hours/day does it mean he or she is less of a gamer and should quit gaming?

As long as it doesn't lock out content you can't overcome with being on the right skill level.

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
All I can think is that this is going to make modding the PC version a pain in the butt.

Pretty unsurprising.

But it does seem like this is something R* would mock - just illustrates how hollow and inept their whole attempt at "commentary" actually is.

Fuck this game is incredible though.

well, i won't spend real money on there so i'll have the basic outfits and weapons and cars B^)

but i do wonder, if you get "robbed" in GTA online , do they take your money from your credit card on file haha, if they did then RIP to me playing GTA online.

yeah i know thats foolish to think but you never know.

IllumiNate

The real reason why they waited for Oct 1st is revealed. So all this extra cash earned will go on to they're next quarterly earnings report.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
For some reason I generally prefer it when microtransactions are for visual fluff. I suppose with virtual cash you can still spend it on visual fluff like clothing and your house, and maybe a fancy ride. As long as you can't gain an advantage in competitive modes that way - I don't really fancy a battle between wallets rather than skill.

I can't believe developers do this, what are they thinking?

When it works, it works and they make a lot of money.

It angers me because there have been good games out there (on iOS) which changed to freemium, it ruined the game yet it charts in the top 30 apps making profit, so it's here to stay :/

RIP Firemint.

enzo_gt

tagged by Blackace
People who buy cash via microtransactions should only be allowed to randomly encounter others who have bought cash via microtransactions. I think that's fair. It's like cheater's hell, except for people who completely don't care about progression/earning stuff and just want to pay to win.

jsnepo

The GTA Online trailer hinted something about this. Something about buying a garage and an apartment. Also if you're going to check ammunation, there is a PS Store (PS3 obviously) option.

njr

At this point I don't care. If they made a mission creator like they announced earlier, then that's what I'll play. If they do it right it can be like hats in TF2. As long as there's a decent way to "craft" money we should be fine.

Top Bottom