• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V GameInformer Discussion (11/8, 12PM EST)

Derrick01

Banned
I came to this thread to read discussions about new Infos on gta V but it seems I'm in a RDR lttp thread.
Could we go back on tracks please?
All we know for now is that the game stars three protagonists and the countryside will be huge?

There's nothing to talk about yet. All they did was release the cover, we're waiting for another hour by tearing apart bad games in the meantime.

You people that hate RDR because "there's nothing to do" have to understand that not every game needs to be San Andreas, especially since it's a completely different series. I'll argue about all the crap GTAIV removed from GTA:SA, but with RDR Rockstar wanted to make a very specific experience, and they accomplished that. You aren't going to be flying planes into crop harvesters while escaping Area 69 with alien tech. It's a Western. Yes, there's a limit on missions and activities you can do compared to a modern day setting, BUT THAT"S THE POINT. It's a period game.

At the same time, it's not a perfect, and it was their first real attempt at making an open world western. I'm sure a RDR sequel will add lots of new mission scenarios, new side activities, etc. etc. Even still, if you don't enjoy the setting, you probably won't enjoy the sequel as they'll be working with the same era specific restrictions.

That would be lame, imo.
I don't want to be stuck with a character until i play the next mission.

My guess is they will be all be partners in some bank robbery, you call the other guy on his cell to see what he's up to, and that switches you to control of him.

Then somewhere down the line, all 3 turn on each other Treasure of the Sierra Madre style, and you have to choose which one lives and you kill the other two.

Hmm...crazy theory?

j8kwo.jpg

Is Claude, Carl, and Tommy in GTA5? Doubt it. Is it coincidence that the new guys look like the old guys? Absolutely not! This is awesome.

N

NinjaFridge

Unconfirmed Member
You people that hate RDR because "there's nothing to do" have to understand that not every game needs to be San Andreas, especially since it's a completely different series. I'll argue about all the crap GTAIV removed from GTA:SA, but with RDR Rockstar wanted to make a very specific experience, and they accomplished that. You aren't going to be flying planes into crop harvesters while escaping Area 69 with alien tech. It's a Western. Yes, there's a limit on missions and activities you can do compared to a modern day setting, BUT THAT"S THE POINT. It's a period game.

At the same time, it's not a perfect, and it was their first real attempt at making an open world western. I'm sure a RDR sequel will add lots of new mission scenarios, new side activities, etc. etc. Even still, if you don't enjoy the setting, you probably still won't enjoy the sequel as they'll be working with the same era specific restrictions.

You need to understand that just because I want more fun doesn't mean I suddenly want airplanes and sky diving in the wild west. It isn't black and white where you can either have everything or nothing.

So, does anyone think this will guarantee some kind of main story co-op? The ability to have somone join as another character for specific missions or just screwing around?

Raven77

My guess is they will be all be partners in some bank robbery, you call the other guy on his cell to see what he's up to, and that switches you to control of him.

Then somewhere down the line, all 3 turn on each other Treasure of the Sierra Madre style, and you have to choose which one lives and you kill the other two.

Just watched Sierra the other day for the first time. So good.

I spent a rainy afternoon playing poker with the ranch hands at MacFarlane's Ranch. Inside a video game. Don't hate on RDR. ;_;

Of course I also loved GTA4, apparently I'm the only one who did.

You're not. GAF just has a very loud vocal minority that unfortunately even when ignored, are quoted so you see you see it anyway.

You need to understand that just because I want more fun doesn't mean I suddenly want airplanes and sky diving in the wild west. It isn't black and white where you can either have everything or nothing.

You're right. And the balance found in RDR was perfect for the type of game it was. It was a story driven game that was in a large open space. Doesn't mean you need to fill all those nooks and crannies with redundant shit.

Megasoum

Banned
Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkk.... People in the GI forums are talking about 4-5 days delay before receiving the activation email for the digital sub... WTF? How long does it take for a bot to send a code. That's so fucking stupid.

Derrick01

Banned
So, does anyone think this will guarantee some kind of main story co-op? The ability to have somone join as another character for specific missions or just screwing around?

I'm hoping as hard as I can that they keep co op out. That's why they have free roam MP in these games now, so they satisfy those people while keeping the SP safe by itself.

So if I wanted to get up to speed on this series which titles should I play and which can I pass on? I have played about 60% of 4 (I guess, made it just past bank heist).

I'm hoping as hard as I can that they keep co op out. That's why they have free roam MP in these games now, so they satisfy those people while keeping the SP safe by itself.

Well if the option is there, you can do either. I don't think the possible ability to have another person there will alter any of the tone or story they have planned. I hope the option is there so people can use it or choose not to.

KingKong

Fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuckkk.... People in the GI forums are talking about 4-5 days delay before receiving the activation email for the digital sub... WTF? How long does it take for a bot to send a code. That's so fucking stupid.

Dude it will be posted as a pdf in a matter of minutes

So if I wanted to get up to speed on this series which titles should I play and which can I pass on? I have played about 60% of 4 (I guess, made it just past bank heist).

None, they are all separate stories. Without knowing exactly who those protagonists are of course, there isn't much besides slight nods in the games to the other games.

-GJ-

Play Vice City, maybe San Andreas and definitely Red Dead Redemption (not a GTA game, but one of the best Rockstar games ever, and kinda like GTA on horses).

edit: What flyinpiranha said, but play my suggestions if you want to experience the best games in the series.

Megasoum

Banned

Wow...I think this is the first time I actually agree with you lol.

Co-op destroys any sens of story or immersion in a game. I'm not saying that Co-op is bad, it can be a TON OF FUN in a proper game but GTA is not something I want to play with somebody else.

Nugg

Storywise? None, GTA5 should not be a direct sequel.

But I believe everyone must play Vice City at least once in his life. San Andreas is a nice warm up for GTA5 too since it's the same city.

I get that as well, but there IS a very real limit on "fun" activities you can create within in the confines of a semi-realistic open world action/shooter set in the Wild West. The side activities will always be kind of tame compared to a more unrealistic game set in more recent times, and most of the missions will come down to shooting things in one way or another. You look at a game, as a whole, as what it is within its series, not what it should be compared directly to another. RDR vs. GTA: SA doesn't work, and looking for that huge amount of variety 1:1 across the titles doesn't work either. Okay, RDR only takes 30 hours to 100%, but that's fine. It's not GTA.

Yes, RDR was not as much fun as a typical GTA. It still contained all of the qualities of an incredible Rockstar game--a huge, immersive and all around beautiful environment filled with plenty of likable characters, quality writing, and a great story. People ragging on it are silly, in my opinion. Overall, I enjoyed it more than GTA4. But if I was looking for a big fun open world game to do whatever I wanted in and pass the controller with some friends, I'd pick
saint's row 3
GTA.

Wow...I think this is the first time I actually agree with you lol.

Co-op destroys any sens of story or immersion in a game. I'm not saying that Co-op is bad, it can be a TON OF FUN in a proper game but GTA is not something I want to play with somebody else.

Again, why can't the option be there? It didn't really effect a game like Saints Row. You know they won't force you to use it, so why not have the option? There is no chance of them making some kind of Permanent AI parter that you can jump into, so if you don't play co-op you experience won't change.

Fjordson

Just saw the cover. So awesome. I love that the jetski guy is going to be a main character. Wasn't quite expecting that

Oh god I didn't even think about co-op when I saw that. I really hope Rockstar stays away from that crap.
Yeah...I don't want a Resident Evil situation here.

"Playing single-player? Here's some AI partners that are dumb as bricks hovering around you the entire game no matter what you do".

I think the ability in GTA to just mess around and not do missions if you want means it won't be like that. That'd be weird having them follow you around even if you were just trying to get in a police chase or something for fun.

At least I hope it's not like that.

Megasoum

Banned
Says digital subscription in 24hrs guess I won't bother.

That's what I just found out...after subscribing. And people in the forums are actually talking about 4-5 days delay before getting the mail. How half-ass does your site has to be to take 5 days to send a code via email.

Again, why can't the option be there? It didn't really effect a game like Saints Row. You know they won't force you to use it, so why not have the option?

Because if the option is there then it means they designed the whole game with co-op in mind. So all the missions will always have 2 characters involved and always 2 characters in the cutscenes etc.

Sure they did it in Saint's Row but they also don't give a shit about their own story in SR lol. I played through SR3 6 months ago, had a blast but I couldn't tell you what happened in the story. I played all the GTA games through once when they came out and I still remember most of the story.

I too hope their "groundbreaking" use of multiple protagonists isn't co-op. I like to play through GTA at my own pace, and I'm constantly interrupting my own progress by having fun in the sandbox. I don't want to have to either put up with strangers or abide by the wishes and free time of my friends. That's what multiplayer is for. Optional co-op that doesn't have a big impact on their overall campaign vision is fine though.

At the same time, it's not a perfect, and it was their first real attempt at making an open world western. I'm sure a RDR sequel will add lots of new mission scenarios, new side activities, etc. etc. Even still, if you don't enjoy the setting, you probably still won't enjoy the sequel as they'll be working with the same era specific restrictions.

This is actually my entire issue with this whole discussion. There wasn't less to do back then, it was just different. The problem is really that most of it would be considered pretty boring to modern folks. Whether or not calling the whole game boring is fair I would argue depends on whether you agree the game is supposed to be a playground in homage to a movie genre, or a small town ranch simulator. Frankly, I think it tries to be both, which may be it's downfall with certain players.

That's what I just found out...after subscribing. And people in the forums are actually talking about 4-5 days delay before getting the mail. How half-ass does your site has to be to take 5 days to send a code via email.

Because if the option is there then it means they designed the whole game with co-op in mind. So all the missions will always have 2 characters involved and always 2 characters in the cutscenes etc.

Sure they did it in Saint's Row but they also don't give a shit about their own story in SR lol. I played through SR3 6 months ago, had a blast but I couldn't tell you what happened in the story. I played all the GTA games through once when they came out and I still remember most of the story.

Well, I think the fact that there are 3 main characters already means that they may have desgined it that way but I don't think including co-op means there has to be any kind of change in design at all. Why would there? You don't have to write each cut scene for two characters or alter the sroty in any way. You just give the option of having a second person running around with you.

BearPawB

Banned
My guess:
No co-op single player.
Each Character has "acts", that happen concurrently in the story line.
You can only play one at a time according to a set story path (no switching whenever you want)

Derrick01

Banned
The more it's brought up now the more I'm starting to think this "groundbreaking" crap is co op after all. Man I wish they would just come out and say it's not happening so I don't have to worry about it :(

Megasoum

Banned
Why is everyone getting subscriptions? Can't you just buy this single issue?

Only on tablets, for the pc you have to buy a sub... Another stupid thing about the GI website. Seriously this is ridiculous, that's some 2002 BS lol.

The more it's brought up now the more I'm starting to think this "groundbreaking" crap is co op after all. Man I wish they would just come out and say it's not happening so I don't have to worry about it :(

I would put the odds very high that there will be the more I think about it. I imagine it will be unplayable unless you have 2 other people to play with at all times.

Top Bottom