• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

This game is really really good with G-Sync. Especially now after the new patch, everything runs flawless again. Took a bit long, but happy that they fixed it!

Anarckhy

Neo Member
Just stopping by to say that the jump from Windows 7 to 10, caused heavy issues for me. Stuttering, poor PC performance, drops to 30 and never stays above 50. Running a single GTX 970 (not overclocked), i7 3770k, 8GB RAM. Thought this was the only game I was having issues with then played some other games (H1Z1, BO2, DayZ) and didn't seem to have much issues with them. Alas, I formatted and reinstalled W10, and everything is running flawless on Ultra except for Grass on High, locked 60 fps, no drops or stutter. Was happy that after so many weeks later, and patches later, I managed to play this game once again.

Just stopping by to say that the jump from Windows 7 to 10, caused heavy issues for me. Stuttering, poor PC performance, drops to 30 and never stays above 50. Running a single GTX 970 (not overclocked), i7 3770k, 8GB RAM. Thought this was the only game I was having issues with then played some other games (H1Z1, BO2, DayZ) and didn't seem to have much issues with them. Alas, I formatted and reinstalled W10, and everything is running flawless on Ultra except for Grass on High, locked 60 fps, no drops or stutter. Was happy that after so many weeks later, and patches later, I managed to play this game once again.

No problems for me after the W10 upgrade with identical CPU and GPU. Guess I got lucky.
Also 3770K is the GOAT CPU. Don't see myself upgrading anytime soon.

SliChillax

So here we go again, tried it with the 980ti and it's as if I didn't even upgrade my gpu. Problem is not the framerate, it's the stuttering. Everything on max at 1440p except AA which I only use FXAA otherwise with MSAA or TXAA it's unplayable.

Afro

So here we go again, tried it with the 980ti and it's as if I didn't even upgrade my gpu. Problem is not the framerate, it's the stuttering. Everything on max at 1440p except AA which I only use FXAA otherwise with MSAA or TXAA it's unplayable.

I'm running a single 980ti / i7 3770 at 1080p + 2x MSAA (maxed settings besides all advanced stuff disabled) and my stutter is pretty much non-existent after the latest patch (locked 60fps). Been waiting months to play through this campaign b/c I'm super hypersensitive to stutter, but I can finally say it's in a playable state (haven't reached the countryside yet though).

Again, this is w/ a 144hz g-sync monitor w/ in-game refresh rate set to 60hz and refresh rate in Nvidia Control Panel set to "application controlled". Also, max per-rendered frames set to 1. All important steps.

Here's another shot without chromatic aberration. So damn clean w/o that nonsense. Not hard to do, either. Just download openiv and follow the steps.

271590_2015-09-27_000parcz.jpg

Mr Swine

Banned
I'm running a single 980ti / i7 3770 at 1080p + 2x MSAA (maxed settings besides the advanced stuff) and my stutter is pretty much non-existent after the latest patch (locked 60fps). Been waiting months to play through this campaign b/c I'm super hypersensitive to stutter, but it's finally playable (haven't reached the countryside yet though).

Again, this is w/ a 144hz g-sync monitor w/ in-game refresh rate set to 60hz and refresh rate in Nvidia Control Panel set to "application controlled". Also max per-rendered frames set to 1. All important steps.

Here's another shot without chromatic aberration. So damn clean w/o that nonsense.

How do you turn of chromatic aberration?

SliChillax

I'm running a single 980ti / i7 3770 at 1080p + 2x MSAA (maxed settings besides all advanced stuff disabled) and my stutter is pretty much non-existent after the latest patch (locked 60fps). Been waiting months to play through this campaign b/c I'm super hypersensitive to stutter, but I can finally say it's in a playable state (haven't reached the countryside yet though).

Again, this is w/ a 144hz g-sync monitor w/ in-game refresh rate set to 60hz and refresh rate in Nvidia Control Panel set to "application controlled". Also, max per-rendered frames set to 1. All important steps.

Here's another shot without chromatic aberration. So damn clean w/o that nonsense. Not hard to do, either. Just download openiv and follow the steps.

Why are you using 2xMSAA on 1080p with a 980Ti? Why are you running the game at 1080p with a 980Ti? Why lock the framerate with a Gsync monitor? Also all the stuttering is in the countryside, not the city.

Afro

Why are you using 2xMSAA on 1080p with a 980Ti? Why are you running the game at 1080p with a 980Ti? Why lock the framerate with a Gsync monitor? Also all the stuttering is in the countryside, not the city.

- I found there not to be a huge difference between 1440p + FXAA and 1080p + 2x MSAA from where I'm sitting. That's just me though.

- Stutter is more apparent when framerate is unlocked. Barely goes over 60 anyway.

TLDR: Locked 60fps > Fluctuating 60-72fps. Even when g-sync'd.

- I'll report back once I get to the countryside.

Man, capping at 60hz with G-Sync is such a weird thing to do... I get the consistency thing, but the game just feels better and more responsive to me uncapped. Also surprised you're not running higher settings with that GPU.
I am using same resolution + settings and my game usually runs around 80fps on a 970.

Tomodachi

What do you guys think, is Frame Scaling Mode better or worse than simply setting an higher resolution? Right now I'm downscaling from 2715x1527 to 1080p, I used nvidia experience to enable DSR and it simply enabled this new (weird?) resolution.
The result is impressive and I think it does a better job at removing jaggies than MSAA+TXAA, although I'm keeping those at 2X as well.
I also settled for locking the framerate to 30, with a single GTX 970 I can't bear the rollercoaster drops from 60 to 35-40-45 and back when I'm in the countryside. I'm used to playing GTAs with low framerates anyway since I played all the previous ones on consoles, game almost feels weird at 60fps for me :p

BTW am I the only one with the weird glitch that forgets to enable triple buffering when the game starts in fullscreen? I have to alt+tab every time I start the game otherwise the game is forced at 60 OR 30 fps, no intermediate framerates. Using nvidia inspector and forcing vsync+triple buffering doesn't seem to work (apparently forcing triple buffering from that panel doesn't work for DX games? whatever).

msaa + mfaa works better at removing jaggies than dsr/frame scaling, and even tho this is some of the most expensive msaa ive seen, its still cheaper perf wise.

Dries

msaa + mfaa works better at removing jaggies than dsr/frame scaling, and even tho this is some of the most expensive msaa ive seen, its still cheaper perf wise.

But I do believe DSR will grant you better IQ overall. Also might enhance texture sharpness. I'm running a native 1440p screen and downsampling from 3*** x 17** something + FXAA. Looks incredible.

But I do believe DSR will grant you better IQ overall. Also might enhance texture sharpness. I'm running a native 1440p screen and downsampling from 3*** x 17** something + FXAA. Looks incredible.

DSR will be sharper for sure as long as you keep the smoothness level in check. just depends if you prefer image stability or sharpness. that level of DSR is also going to hit framerates much harder than the 2x msaa+mfaa that i use.

DSR will be sharper for sure as long as you keep the smoothness level in check. just depends if you prefer image stability or sharpness. that level of DSR is also going to hit framerates much harder than the 2x msaa+mfaa that i use.

Right now any MSAA breaks the grass and reduces it a shitload, so if your GPU can handle it, frame scaling is the way to go.

Right now any MSAA breaks the grass and reduces it a shitload, so if your GPU can handle it, frame scaling is the way to go.

that is a weird side effect

I am running vanilla GTV with no patches. I thought of trying Boris' enb but is looks like a pointless performance-hog unless he comes up with more special features like the Skyrim ENB. Anyway, the game runs great on my GTX 780 using FXAA, high grass, no advanced distance scaling and everything on ultra (including PCCS). Woods and Trevor's place are where I notice constant drops below 60fps and even 40 in the woods.

Speaking of grass, where the heck is Nvidia's grass tech that they showcased last year? I remember it having a great premise; grass always destroys performance in open-world games.

I acutually doubt Nvidia's idea. Yeah they can render huge fields of grass that interacts with crap via GPU accelerated physix, but what about VRAM, AO and rendering as a whole? It might be possible with DX12.

Afro

Right now any MSAA breaks the grass and reduces it a shitload

thanks for the tip! turned MSAA off. so weird.

detail shot (sans chromatic aberration):

edit:

random, but I just got a proper gaming mouse and found the very minor, yet terribly annoying background/scenery jittering I was getting w/ an Xbone gamepad to be completely unnoticeable w/ keyboard/mouse. not sure if it has to do with the camera being so steady using joysticks thus accentuating said jitter. only game i've ever experienced this in.

random edit: haven't seen any nice downsampled shots w/ chromatic removal. so nice. this is at 4k w/ 1.5x scaling.

Afro

Man, capping at 60hz with G-Sync is such a weird thing to do... I get the consistency thing, but the game just feels better and more responsive to me uncapped. Also surprised you're not running higher settings with that GPU.
I am using same resolution + settings and my game usually runs around 80fps on a 970.

Strange issue, but the v-sync option in Nvidia Control was killing my performance. With g-sync + v-sync enabled via Nvidia I was getting 60-72 fps max. Disabled v-sync (g-sync on) and Fraps is now reading up to 100fps at 1440p, very high/ultra settings, plus some extended distance. That's in the city. Learning process.

Kezen

Banned
Why not go 1440p + FXAA instead? Best of both worlds. Not sure what GPU you're running.

GTX 980 and I'm aiming for 60fps with near max settings so 1440p is too much for my GPU.

It's really awesome that GTA 5 is packed with options though, and frame scaling is a nice addition.

Afro

GTX 980 and I'm aiming for 60fps with near max settings so 1440p is too much for my GPU.

It's really awesome that GTA 5 is packed with options though, and frame scaling is a nice addition.

not sure if it's just me, but i found 1080p + 2x MSAA to actually be a hair more demanding than 1440p + FXAA. is this even possible? i did a quick comparison w/ FRAPS. seemed almost equal. MSAA kills in this game.

not sure if it's just me, but i found 1080p + 2x MSAA to actually be a hair more demanding than 1440p + FXAA. is this even possible? i did a quick comparison w/ FRAPS. seemed almost equal. MSAA kills in this game.

that small of a downsample does very little to combat aliasing. 2xmsaa with mfaa enabled provides much better coverage

Afro

that small of a downsample does very little to combat aliasing. 2xmsaa with mfaa enabled provides much better coverage

interesting. thanks!

edit: oh lord, that combo does look pretty. very clean. they still need to fix the foliage bug w/ msaa enabled though, right?

edit 2: another screen sans chromatic aberration. i can't stop, deal with it.

AmyS

Sue me if old:

Impressive GTA 5 PC Mod Adds 4K Textures, Reworks Vehicles, Improves Relationships
Take a look at the Pinnacle of V mod.

http://www.gamespot.com/articles/impressive-gta-5-pc-mod-adds-4k-textures-reworks-v/1100-6432665/

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xuWIPsurIMM

Visuals

* The best and most realistic Reshade & Enb configurations included to provide a perfect color balance and bring new life to the game.
* Totally redone every in game weather, removing chromatic aberration, noise, vignetting, and other postfx improved clouds, lighting, color control, reduced fog to realistic amounts and much more. Major overhaul! (Letting the game change weathers in its natural cycle provides the best experience! Don't always use a trainer, you'll be surprised.)
* Photo realistic rain ,and puddles.
* Increased global reflection and shadow intensity. Added Volumetric Lighting to all weathers during night.
* Removed flashing from pickup objects (weapons cash wallets etc.)
* Enabled shadows from weapon, explosion and other smoke/particle effects within near vicinity of player (uses the same distance as the general shadow box)
* Removed most lensflare and limited corona size.
* Improved/stronger wind effects.
* Edited particle effects to allow more collision, as well as made more objects breakable (more coming in future updates).
* Better grass and plant general settings.
* Global smoke effect improved, everything from exhaust to chimneys to explosions
* Better weather lighting, fog control, and atmosphere.
* Much improved storm weather waves and water effects.
* Massively improved reflections.
* Increased farclip.
* Longer lasting footprints, better tire water, dirt, and burnout smoke effects.
* 4k and improved Bokeh Depth of Field Effects.
* Improved vehicle lights, coronas, flare, spotlights and police lights.

Texture Overhaul

* Plants, grass, bushes, vehicles, water, blood, stars, moon, and more! The texture overhaul is a massive project on its own, and it will be receiving regular updates as progress is made. These textures are not just simply upscaled. They are entirely brand new textures being introduced into the game.
* 4k Clouds
* 4k Water
* 4k Stars and Moon
* 4k Plants and Grass
* 4k Blood
* 4k Fire Sprites
* 4k Coronas
* 4k Rain Drops and Splash Textures
* 4k Cloud Noise
* 4k Vehicle Bottom Shadows
* 2k Real Vehicle Replacements for Carrier Types (Coke, Pepsi, graffiti, and more!)

Reworked Vehicle Handling

* Every car, truck, van, SUV, commercial, utility, transportation, water, and air vehicle has been modded to provide realistic deformation, top speeds, weight, handling, crash physics, avoidance control, ai control and more! Finally you can drive around Los Santos in a vehicle that doesn't feel like a toy!

Relationships

* In game relationships have been edited between the police, gangs, animals, and the player. This creates a much more lively environment, seeing gangs and police battle it out on the streets, and allowing the player to enjoy their encounters with animals to a higher degree! You can also stand closer to pedestrians for a longer time without them running away!

Population

* All population levels have been increased by specific area, time, and day of the week. This provides realistic city rush hours, and a much more alive feeling to the city of Los Santos. All dlc vehicles now spawn in traffic naturally, as well as many other pedestrians, both ambient and scenario are now present on the streets!
* New activities and new faces!
* Accurate police patrols, on foot and in cruisers!

Weapon Destruction Violence

* All of the original weapons in game have been extremely modified. Every weapon now has realistic recoil, bullet spread, tracer fx, muzzle flash fx, reload animation speeds and more.
* Bullets now travel at a realistic speed instead of being instant hit.
* Certain materials can now be shot through, such as thin metal, wood, plastic, and other non metal/concrete/hard surface materials.
* Bullets can now shoot apart fences and other in game objects that were previously unbreakable.
* Helicopters now fire missiles semi auto!
* Changed grenade explosion to the rpg effect, and altered and changed every single explosion effect in the game.
* Accurate rag doll responses from weapon fire.
* Increased burn time, spread, and improved visual look of all fire and the materials it touches.
* Police and gang weapon loadouts have been modified to allow them carry different weapons and pack more of a punch!
* Realistic blood textures, as well as blood sprays and mist.
* Blood decals and damage now appear from a much farther distance.
* Overhauled bullet impact effects and particles. More and better controlled debris, as well as bigger environment bullet holes.
* Big overhaul to melee fighting and general ped interaction, kick less, punch faster, fight peds longer!

Audio

* Every weapon sound has been fully replaced with custom weapon sounds,bringing the immersion to an even deeper level!

beeswax

I've been trying to install that mod for the last 4 hours. Im giving up on it.

Yeah, I just spent quite a bit of time following the guide but while editing the rpf files and such, the lame editor crashed with a horrible error message resulting in a corrupt x64b.rpf. Not worth the hassle.

Sky Saw

Banned
Can anyone help me? I always forced V-sync through the control panel as the in game option locks me at 59fps instead of 60. But now for whatever reason the forced V-synch just doesnt work any more so now I have to either lock at 59 which stutters or bare the tearing. Does anyone know what could have caused this?

Anyone tried playing GTA V with the Xbox Elite Controller?
What kind of answer are you looking for, whether or not it works full stop or whether or not you can use the special buttons?

It should work just like any Xbox controller without any setup, but I couldn't tell you if GTA will see the extra buttons.

Bebpo

Banned
First video of Pinnacle of V in GTA V w/ Quad Titan X here: GTA V Pinnacle of V in 5K

Doesn't look much better than vanilla GTAV at 4k 60fps imo which needs like 1/4th the gpu power. It's not like GTAIV where the main game looks pretty rough and the mods make it look way better. I guess it's unrealistic to expect that kind of jump from the default GTAV graphics since the game already looks really nice and clean on PC.

Top Bottom