• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA V PC Performance Thread

Wow, the game is running terribly in that video. While they are driving the game is constantly running at different speeds: slow, surge, slow, surge, slow, surge. While the image quality looks awfully nice I couldn't play the game like that.

thats due to the awful frame pacing caused by multi gpu, its at its absolute worst with 4 way, and in general if your framerates arent constantly above 100 its still bad enough to be noticeable.

TSM

thats due to the awful frame pacing caused by multi gpu, its at its absolute worst with 4 way, and in general if your framerates arent constantly above 100 its still bad enough to be noticeable.

While I'm sure the multi gpu setup isn't helping, I've had the game perform similarly on my single 980. The engine itself acts like that sometimes.

While I'm sure the multi gpu setup isn't helping, I've had the game perform similarly on my single 980. The engine itself acts like that sometimes.

are you going over your vram? ive never experienced that level of frame time variance on a single gpu in any game. arkham knight is the worst offender of the last several years but that video is an order of magnitude worse.

TSM

are you going over your vram? ive never experienced that level of frame time variance on a single gpu in any game. arkham knight is the worst offender of the last several years but that video is an order of magnitude worse.

I actually think it might be a streaming issue. If it was just vram the game should continually stutter as it swaps assets in and out frame after frame. It's more like the engine stalls briefly and then tries to catch back up.

PhaZZe

Banned
guys, anyone have this problem
this is not my photo but this is what happend to me, anyone know how to fix?
4KiXsIJ.jpg

Kevin

Anyone tried running this game on a GTX 590? I was wondering what kind of performance I should expect and at what settings. I'm ok with 30 frames but at what settings would I be able to get off of my card?

Should I even bother? Also anything special I need to do to get SLI working with my card for this game?

Guffers

Anyone tried running this game on a GTX 590? I was wondering what kind of performance I should expect and at what settings. I'm ok with 30 frames but at what settings would I be able to get off of my card?

Should I even bother? Also anything special I need to do to get SLI working with my card for this game?

I installed it on my old 2011 laptop for a laugh. It only has a GT555M and it ran at medium/low at a locked 30 fps no problems at all. Just be conservative with demanding settings such as grass and soft shadows and you might be very suprised.

Is there something to be done about the alt+tab issue? The game just freezes with a black screen after alt+tabbing on windows 10. Never did this on win8.

Also; the game stutters like a madman. Just real stutter, framerate keeps on jumping between 17 and 90. what the hell, this game.

It keeps using a 100 percent of every core of the cpu.

I just launched GTA V today for the first time in a long time and it is completely broken for me now. It constantly freezes every second, it looks like CPU spikes, I alt tab from the game and those same freezes cause the entire PC to be unresponsive. I've already rolled back my Xbox One controller driver, thinking it was related to that issue but that did nothing.

oatmeal

Banned
Love the photos you guys post. Game looks incredible. I hope it gets VR support so I can get this in the future if I ever get a computer capable enough.

I've discovered the culprit: Razer Surround Audio Service.

I uninstalled the Razer Audio software and all is good now.

@Eduardboon - is it possible that is your issue as well?

What is GTA V like with overclocked CPU's? I'm running a 6700k @ 4.6Ghz, it's passed every stress test with flying colours and every other game I've tried plays perfect but on GTA V it's blue screening after about 30 minutes playtime with a different error every time.

Vuze

What is GTA V like with overclocked CPU's? I'm running a 6700k @ 4.6Ghz, it's passed every stress test with flying colours and every other game I've tried plays perfect but on GTA V it's blue screening after about 30 minutes playtime with a different error every time.
I have played the game for atleast 10h with my overclocked 4790k (@ 4,6GHz) and haven't had any issues at all. Maybe not 100% stable after all?

Tendo

I just launched GTA V today for the first time in a long time and it is completely broken for me now. It constantly freezes every second, it looks like CPU spikes, I alt tab from the game and those same freezes cause the entire PC to be unresponsive. I've already rolled back my Xbox One controller driver, thinking it was related to that issue but that did nothing.

Whoa. Your problem sounds the same as me - first time playing in months and everytime I turn a corner and spin the camera the game locks up for a second and alt tabbing breaks the game. I too assumed it was related to the xbone controller.

I don't believe I have any razer audio services installed though. Maybe my realtek speaker software is causing the issue? I did reformat recently.

My scenario and game look just like the video posted above - any ideas on a cause or a fix?

Godan

So is there an issue with the cut scenes with this game. Reinstalled it today and and manage to get a solid 60 fps when in gameplay but the cut scenes look like they go down to like 45 or even 30 fps. Bit of a pain really.

I've discovered the culprit: Razer Surround Audio Service.

I uninstalled the Razer Audio software and all is good now.

@Eduardboon - is it possible that is your issue as well?

Have EXACTLY the same issue, but no audio software installed, having the same issues on a fresh windows 10 install.

I have fixed the stuttering; I have to disconnect my xbox one controller.

Which also sucks, because I use it. Guess I'll be rolling back the driver.

Does gta 5 pc support rumble on the DS4? Have it plugged in and running natively, no DS4Windows or anything and haven't ever noticed it rumble.

Ash735

Does gta 5 pc support rumble on the DS4? Have it plugged in and running natively, no DS4Windows or anything and haven't ever noticed it rumble.

GTAV on PC doesn't support DualShock 4 properly anyway, I mean it's such a small thing to include support for both controllers and both sets of textures, etc, but Rockstar don't like that sort of thing.

Philtastic

Got a GTX 1070 so, naturally, I needed to test out GTA V. While targetting 1440p 60 fps, I can put almost all of the regular settings to max (except MSAA and Nvidia PCSS soft shadows) and turn on most of the advanced features except for the distance scaling and shadow distance. If I do turn all but MSAA up, it can stay at 60 at times but there are big dips into the 30's which, for me, is unacceptable. This was also my first time using ShadowPlay to record anything which I might have pushed too hard trying to record at 100 Mb/s (there's a lot of video stuttering near the end of the video - gameplay was still smooth) which, in the end, wasn't really worth it because YouTube compression makes the picture quality suck anyway. Here's a video at my Paleto Bay benchmarking area with a 5-star wanted rating which simulates a worst case scenario and the kind of area where you'd want a high frame rate for responsiveness.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oinvkG79og8

Javin98

Banned
Just got the PC version (played the PS3 version back in 2013). My specs:

i5 6500
Asus Dual GTX 1060 OC
8GB DDR4 2133MHz RAM

With the exception of MSAA and PCSS (I find the shadows too soft), I'm running maxed out on the basic graphics page with 20% extended distance scaling, 50% extended shadows distance, high res shadows and high detail streaming when flying, 1080p. It's a solid 60FPS for the most part, but the busiest streets in the city can knock frame rate down to high 50's occasionally, really rare drops to low 50's. Monitoring with MSI Afterburner, my CPU is the bottleneck. CPU usage is 90% and above in busy streets. A gas tank explosion in the third mission knocked my frame rate to an alarming 30's for a while. Other than that, I'm very satisfied with the performance. I haven't been to forest areas, though.

brau

Sorry for the bump. But looking online i have yet to find a solution to this issue.

For some reason on cutscenes and using the phone i get the screen to add these side black bars. I read and people claimed i just had to reinstall drivers. i wiped them and reinstalled them and it didn't work. I can't recall if this was happening on previous drivers tho. So i guess i can revert and check.

Running an i7, 16gigs ram, gtx 1080. Was running everything maxed on 1080, but was thinking of scaling some stuff down to run in 4k. Running this on a 4K tv too.

Whats weird is that if i pause the game and tweak a setting, when i get back to the cutscene the bars are removed and its at the same resolution. No idea what is going on.

Caayn

Okay, I've got an issue with getting this game correctly installed.

I just did a clean install of Windows 10 64bit with the CU update. However when I try to run the GTA V launcher it's crashes during the loading segment.

I own the RSC version of the game. And have tried installing it via the downloader and via the physical discs. But no matter what I do the launcher crashes at the same spot.

I've taken a look at the logs files and I can only find this:
Code:
[2017-06-04 12:59:19.033] [DISPLAY] Unable to get file version info size for A:\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe

When I look in that directory I can't find any file called "GTA5.exe" only "GTAVLauncher.exe" and "PlayGTAV.exe".

When I Google for help almost all solutions that I find are only valid for the Steam version.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Okay, I've got an issue with getting this game correctly installed.

I just did a clean install of Windows 10 64bit with the CU update. However when I try to run the GTA V launcher it's crashes during the loading segment.

I own the RSC version of the game. And have tried installing it via the downloader and via the physical discs. But no matter what I do the launcher crashes at the same spot.

I've taken a look at the logs files and I can only find this:
Code:
[2017-06-04 12:59:19.033] [DISPLAY] Unable to get file version info size for A:\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe

When I look in that directory I can't find any file called "GTA5.exe" only "GTAVLauncher.exe" and "PlayGTAV.exe".

When I Google for help almost all solutions that I find are only valid for the Steam version.

Have you tried renaming one of the files to GTA5.exe? I'd guess PlayGTA5.exe is the one that was later renamed.

Caayn

Have you tried renaming one of the files to GTA5.exe? I'd guess PlayGTA5.exe is the one that was later renamed.
I've tried that but then I get the following errors:

Code:
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.070] [DISPLAY] File version 10000:0 (for A:\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe)
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.148] [DISPLAY] Opened options file.
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.165] [WARNING] No build versioning info found.
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.168] [ ERROR ] ************************************************************************
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.168] [ ERROR ] * Setting error condition
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.168] [ ERROR ] * Category:  2 (ERROR_CATEGORY_DOWNLOADER)
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.169] [ ERROR ] * Code:     213 (DOWNLOADER_ERR_READ_VERSIONING_FAILED)
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.169] [ ERROR ] * Extra:     
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.169] [ ERROR ] * Localised: The Rockstar update service is unavailable (code 213). Please try again later or check the GTA Online Status page for maintenance and outage notifications: https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/articles/200426246
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.169] [ ERROR ]
Code:
[2017-06-04 13:17:23.878] [ ERROR ] Unable to get file version info size for A:\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\PlayGTAV.exe

And If I make a copy of PlayGTAV.exe and rename that copy to GTA5.exe so that I've "got" both files it also fails. I've also checked if it can reach the download page and it should be able to reach that page.

I've tried that but then I get the following errors:

Code:
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.070] [DISPLAY] File version 10000:0 (for A:\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe)
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.148] [DISPLAY] Opened options file.
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.165] [WARNING] No build versioning info found.
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.168] [ ERROR ] ************************************************************************
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.168] [ ERROR ] * Setting error condition
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.168] [ ERROR ] * Category:  2 (ERROR_CATEGORY_DOWNLOADER)
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.169] [ ERROR ] * Code:     213 (DOWNLOADER_ERR_READ_VERSIONING_FAILED)
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.169] [ ERROR ] * Extra:     
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.169] [ ERROR ] * Localised: The Rockstar update service is unavailable (code 213). Please try again later or check the GTA Online Status page for maintenance and outage notifications: https://support.rockstargames.com/hc/articles/200426246
[2017-06-04 13:16:06.169] [ ERROR ]
Code:
[2017-06-04 13:17:23.878] [ ERROR ] Unable to get file version info size for A:\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\PlayGTAV.exe

And If I make a copy of PlayGTAV.exe and rename that copy to GTA5.exe so that I've "got" both files it also fails. I've also checked if it can reach the download page and it should be able to reach that page.

This might be a very long shot but was the game also installed to drive A: before you reinstalled Windows? I know that some software behaves plain oddly on A: or B: drive-letters due to their DOS heritage.

EDIT: Looking at my own RSC version of the game, I do have:

GTA5.exe
GTAVLauncher.exe
PlayGTAV.exe

and GTA5.exe is 57mb big while PlayGTAV.exe is just 9mb big so they are definitely different files and you are missing GTA5.exe.

Caayn

This might be a very long shot but was the game also installed to drive A: before you reinstalled Windows? I know that some software behaves plain oddly on A: or B: drive-letters due to their DOS heritage.
I had it installed on A: before I reinstalled the OS. I made sure to wipe any traces of GTAV before I reinstalled it.

But to ensure that the drive isn't causing the error I tried installing it on the boot drive as well (C:). But that also results in the same error:
Code:
[2017-06-04 13:54:01.991] [DISPLAY] Unable to get file version info size for C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe
[2017-06-04 13:54:01.991] [ ERROR ] Last error: 2 : Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.
(System can't find the path).

Edit: I've tried installing it on my laptop. Using the same installers on my laptop and it installs without a problem.

I had it installed on A: before I reinstalled the OS. I made sure to wipe any traces of GTAV before I reinstalled it.

But to ensure that the drive isn't causing the error I tried installing it on the boot drive as well (C:). But that also results in the same error:
Code:
[2017-06-04 13:54:01.991] [DISPLAY] Unable to get file version info size for C:\Program Files\Rockstar Games\Grand Theft Auto V\GTA5.exe
[2017-06-04 13:54:01.991] [ ERROR ] Last error: 2 : Het systeem kan het opgegeven bestand niet vinden.
(System can't find the path).

Edit: I've tried installing it on my laptop. Using the same installers on my laptop and it installs without a problem.

Hmm okay. Also not sure if you read my edit but can't you just copy the .exe the files from your laptop to your desktop? Could it be that you have a over-protective anti-virus on your PC that deleted GTA5.exe during its install?

Caayn

Hmm okay. Also not sure if you read my edit but can't you just copy the .exe the files from your laptop to your desktop? Could it be that you have a over-protective anti-virus on your PC that deleted GTA5.exe during its install?
Good tip. Tried it but that didn't work. It still crashes but at least the error is gone from the log. However now no error appears in the log files.

I'm going to try to copy the entire install directory from my laptop to my desktop, see if that works.

Edit: Moving the install directory from my laptop to my desktop didn't work. And since the last entry in the log mentioned something about initiating a DX9 object, but it never mentioned anything that it succeeded whereas it did on my laptop. So I tried copying the Windows default DX9 dll (C:\Windows\System32\d3d9.dll) into the install directory. Which worked, the launcher and the game boot without a problem now.

Thanks for the help Jasec and Skyfireblaze, I appreciate the fast responses.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
Good tip. Tried it but that didn't work. It still crashes but at least the error is gone from the log. However now no error appears in the log files.

I'm going to try to copy the entire install directory from my laptop to my desktop, see if that works.

Edit: Moving the install directory from my laptop to my desktop didn't work. And since the last entry in the log mentioned something about initiating a DX9 object, but it never mentioned anything that it succeeded whereas it did on my laptop. So I tried copying the Windows default DX9 dll (C:\Windows\System32\d3d9.dll) into the install directory. Which worked, the launcher and the game boot without a problem now.

Thanks for the help Jasec and Skyfireblaze, I appreciate the fast responses.

Glad you got it sorted!

J_Viper

I heard this was supposed to be a great port, but I can't even start the damn thing

It won't even remember my settings. Whenever I launch it, it's locked to the lowest possible settings. When I select higher settings and restart the game, it automatically drops back down to the low settings.

What's going on here?

My specs:

i5-6700k
GTX 1070
16 GB RAM

EDIT: well, the settings seem to have fixed themselves, but now the cut-scenes are stuttering. Any fix for this issue?

Top Bottom