• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Pimpwerx

Sorry for a second post. As noted in my last edit, I had a "lockup on exit" only once. I had started a new game after deleting the profile and save files. I never deleted the data file (sorry, too long to wait for that install each time). I tried to "Quit Game" right after the end credits when
Roman
drives up. It game me the "hold on a sec" screen for a few seconds, then double-beeped and rebooted. I didn't think anything of it. I figured I was just hasty with my game exit. But if it's a symptom, then let me list my stats:

Free Space: 28GB/55GB

Game Data Files:
GTA4
HSG5
GT5P
Folklore
Resistance
Warhawk
R&C
Motorstorm

Not sure if it helps. I'm gonna try again, but haven't have any problems up to mission 3, which is when I decided to reset and test. PEACE.

LowParry

Whoompthereitis said:
Fuck.

I've got the PS3 version preordered; picking it up after work. I specifically chose the PS3 one for reliability issues. Is it crazy that I'm tempted to buy a copy of the 360 version as well, and only open it if my PS3 one is afflicted with the freezing? Is that nuts? Am I deranged?

And yet people are saying it's happening with both the 360 and PS3. So....

Firewire

Banned
My sisters husband just swapped disc's at the store and is still experiencing the problem on his Elite 360.

Rockstar really screwed something up with this release.

I'd be interested in how they debug it. I was just thinking about it and if it doesn't show up on the devkit or the debug kit, how do you get any type of proper feedback on how it's dying on a particular model? I would really hate to be at Rockstar now trying to debug this issue.

CcrooK said:
And yet people are saying it's happening with both the 360 and PS3. So....
well yes, it's happening on both systems, but on both systems it's a minority.

there is more chance that he could trade it in for the 360 version and get a working copy than if he trades it in for another ps3 copy.

same is true if you have the 360 version and are experiencing problems. your odds of a getting a working ps3 version are higher.

no one's replacement disc for the same system has fixed the problem.

TaKeRx

Firewire said:
My sisters husband just swapped disc's at the store and is still experiencing the problem on his Elite 360.

Yep, they really did. My brother's Ps3 just froze while it was loading a mission ....

I hope it doesn't happen on my 360 : (

Baker

Banned
Marty Chinn said:
I'd be interested in how they debug it. I was just thinking about it and if it doesn't show up on the devkit or the debug kit, how do you get any type of proper feedback on how it's dying on a particular model? I would really hate to be at Rockstar now trying to debug this issue.

I was thinking that too. I got a mental picture of a frantic head honcho screaming at the employees to go buy up all the retail 60gig-ers they can find.

Either that or Sony airlifted them a case.

Linkhero1

I only played 20 minutes so far and haven't had it freeze on me. I'll play some more when I get home and see if it happens.

Firewire

Banned
TaKeRx said:
Yep, they really did. My brother's Ps3 just froze while it was loading a mission ....

I hope it doesn't happen on my 360 : (

I have the PS3 version, but haven't been able to play it yet. With my luck I think I will be one of those affected by this crap! When I install and try it out tonight I'll be in a nervous sweat for sure.

DC R1D3R

Banned
Damn!!

Sorry to hear you guys are having problems with your GTA's. I've been playing the 360 version for 4 days solid. Not a hitch :[

Dunlop

Damnit mods, unban Psychotext already!!! We need someone to keep stats of the systems that are affected :D

I find it odd that while it is affecting both systems the very large majority of posts are from 60GB PS3 owners. Statistically there should be a lot more 360 (even if just the original model) systems with problems out there.

I'll find out tonight if I'm one of the "lucky" ones

Dante

Docpan said:
I just got off the phone with Rockstar technical support.

1) This is a known issue, involving both PS3 and Xbox 360 versions. The specific cause is as of yet unknown
2) They have technical support working around the clock to try and resolve the issue.
3) They will be sending me an e-mail as soon as a solution is resolved in response to this.

They asked me what model 360 I have, the size of the harddrive, and whether I was hooked up via wired or wireless ethernet.

Yeah, between this and the Bully, Rockstar better step up to the plate and overhaul their fukkin QA dept. This is unacceptable.

FYI, no freezes here on a 60gb launch unit.

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
Firewire said:

Well if it's only happening on 60/20gb PS3s then it would seem it's just as much Sony's fault. Obviously they changed something significant with their hardware over the past year making it less than 100% compatible with the earlier units.

And as for the 360 lockups...who the fuck knows, it's Microsoft. :/

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Whelp, I'm almost done installing the game. *Crosses fingers*

I'll let you know what I find.

US 60gb PS3 purchased two weeks after launch with ~8gb free as of installation.

Since I only played a couple of hours on my Elite, I'm a bit worried. But so far no problems at all. There has to be some common factor among those experiencing problems.

Bad batch of blu-rays and bad batch of dvd's as well?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Pretty scary the amount of regulars that are having this issue, especially on PS3.

Mine is US/Canadian 60GB, got it 4 months after launch I think. We'll see how it goes later today.

Good news for those affected is that it at least boots as far as the intro, that it goes past that patch checkup part that games have, so it should be possible to apply the patch once they make it.

LowParry

VideoMan said:
Well if it's only happening on 60/20gb PS3s then it would seem it's just as much Sony's fault. Obviously they changed something significant with their hardware over the past year making it less than 100% compatible with the earlier units.

And as for the 360 lockups...who the fuck knows, it's Microsoft. :/

How has the hardware changed on the PS3 exactly other than shanking out the EE chip and a few usb ports?

Ranger X

Baker said:
I was thinking that too. I got a mental picture of a frantic head honcho screaming at the employees to go buy up all the retail 60gig-ers they can find.

Either that or Sony airlifted them a case.

Games aren't testing on all models and firmware numbers. This would be too costly and long. They are tested on devkits and debug kits.
The manifacturers like Sony, Nintendo and Microsoft garantit that the debug console behaves exactly like the retail.

the only exception to this that i've seen in my 4 years in QA is that some testing have been done on PS2 slims when it was first introduced. Some batch seemed to have a problem. Also, the PSP and PSP-2000 are tested and not only the PSP-2000.

(keep in mind this is general knowledge, it doesn't 100% devs work like that)

VideoMan

30% Failure Rate
CcrooK said:
How has the hardware changed on the PS3 exactly other than shanking out the EE chip and a few usb ports?

I have no idea, but logic should tell you that if the exact same game runs on one PS3 and not on the other then they are absolutely not 100% compatible, no?

Raistlin

dark10x said:
Indeed it was, but evidence suggests that 360 occurances are significantly more rare. In fact, I'd imagine any issues 360 users encounter are likely due to the typical buggy 360 hardware issues.

Considering the issue appears to demonstrate itself in the exact same way as on the PS3 ... and is not the type of error typically seen with 360 GPU issues, etc ... how did you come to this conclusion?

Big-E

If mine freezes I am not going to buy another Rockstar game on release again. Vice City Stories was a piece of shit performance wise, Bully on 360 was a piece of shit performance wise and now this bullshit with the biggest release of the year. Rockstar needs to stop shipping bugs.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
LiquidMetal14 said:
PS3 here and smooth after 4 hours.

I think it's pretty clear the problem isn't that widespread (at least on this forum) so this kind of stuff isn't helping. We don't need 100 posts of "everything fine here. fuck you guys while I go enjoy some more GTA IV."

GSG Flash

Nobody ruins my family vacation but me...and maybe the boy!
Marty Chinn said:

I'm guessing there's a code to go into debug mode, so even if it doesn't work on their dev kits, they may be able to find it on a retail PS3.

n1n9tean

Banned
DC R1D3R said:
Damn!!

Sorry to hear you guys are having problems with your GTA's. I've been playing the 360 version for 4 days solid. Not a hitch :[
"YAYY, I ARR A PIRITE!!!!"

I hope you go down with your ship.

edit: That goes for you, too, ntb825.

Raistlin

jetjevons said:
The ONE time I choose to go with PS3 for a multiplatform release.

Docpan said:
So I pretty much flipped out this morning as my copy of GTA IV repeatedly froze every time I tried to leave the loft. I had no problems playing last night, but as of now it freezes every time.

I thought my Xbox was broken but every other game plays flawlessly.

I'm on hold with Rockstar support right now. This is fucking bullshit. I waited in line for 2 hrs last night in the rain and paid 90 dollars for a game that doesn't work.

Fuck this.

ummmm ... :p

Firewire

Banned
VideoMan said:
I have no idea, but logic should tell you that if the exact same game runs on one PS3 and not on the other then they are absolutely not 100% compatible, no?

We have had reports in this thread that its affecting limited amounts of both 60GB & 20GB units. From what I have gathered its affected an Elite 360 (my sisters husband) and I believe I read in another sites comments one guy with a Premium 360 had the freeze ups as well.

From what Kotaku is saying, R* is reporting it as a problem with both consoles.

Evlar

Banned
n1n9tean said:
"YAYY, I ARR A PIRITE!!!!"

I hope you go down with your ship.

edit: That goes for you, too, ntb825.
WTF

The game has been on the street since at least Friday. These aren't necessarily pirates, they just know where to shop.

Raistlin

Whoompthereitis said:
Fuck.

I've got the PS3 version preordered; picking it up after work. I specifically chose the PS3 one for reliability issues. Is it crazy that I'm tempted to buy a copy of the 360 version as well, and only open it if my PS3 one is afflicted with the freezing? Is that nuts? Am I deranged?

You're not nuts, but it appears to be a crap-shoot either way, since the issue is known to exist on both consoles.

Raistlin

Marty Chinn said:

Yeah ... must be fun times over there. I absolutely LOVE trying to debug issues that I can't recreate on my debug environment.

And when you consider the complexity of this game ... I'd rather not think about it.

Walshicus

I said this in a different thread, but my friend had the same problem on 360. He swapped his discs at the retailer and still had the issue... but after I told him to do the button combination cache clear thing in the memory section of the system blade, it worked flawlessly. Anyone else been trying that?

Raistlin

jetjevons said:
I don't think they're the same thing. I can't even get through the intro without a crash.

They could be the same bug but I don't think so.

Rockstar themselves said the same sort of issue is happening on the 360 as well.

Dunlop

Aquavelvaman said:
I just had a freeze up on a premium 360 while getting kicked out of a strip club :(

I'm confused about the error.

I thought the errors reported here were on the PS3/360 freezing on the intro and the game being unplayable, once the system is rebooted does the game work? I can live with that until they patch it if I'm affected.

sprocket

Banned
Sir Fragula said:
I said this in a different thread, but my friend had the same problem on 360. He swapped his discs at the retailer and still had the issue... but after I told him to do the button combination cache clear thing in the memory section of the system blade, it worked flawlessly. Anyone else been trying that?

It does sound like a fragmentation problem... I dont know if there is a way to defrag a ps3 drive though.

Struct09

The only thing that's frozen for me are my eyes. To my TV screen. I'm a few hours into the Xbox 360 version and this game is amazing.

Hopefully the issues get ironed out for those who are having problems, these kind of things are fun killers :(

Firewire

Banned
Dunlop said:
I'm confused about the error.

I thought the errors reported here were on the PS3/360 freezing on the intro and the game being unplayable, once the system is rebooted does the game work? I can live with that until they patch it if I'm affected.

Well EviLore reported it happening in a few places, and a 360 owner mentioned it happened when changing clothes in the game. It seems it can happen anywhere, but allot of people have mentioned it in the opening cut scene.

EviLore said:
No, while playing, I'm a few hours in. One was during a cutscene, and two were while driving. It crashes as described by other folks...the audio keeps going but the screen freezes, and ya can't do anything but reset the PS3.

Top Bottom