• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.

Jim

Are any of these 60GB units which are crashing getting particularly hot or not well ventilated or anything, or maybe the fan kicking into high? Being in the intro, can't imagine there's much time for that to happen though.

jetjevons said:
I called the R* customer support number from their website and spoke to a rep. The call went something like this:
End result: they wouldn't confirm it as known problem or advise a course of action. Grrrr.

Seems like they did advise you to the best of their abilities. They aren't debugging the game, so they have the answers when R* provides them.
Course of action: wait until R* has more information.

Firewire

Banned
jetjevons said:
I called the R* customer support number from their website and spoke to a rep. The call went something like this:

Me: "I got my copy from Gamestop this morning. It crashes during the opening cut-scene 100% of the time. What's going on?"
Rep: "We are currently waiting on the developer for information at this time."
Me: "So it's a known issue then?"
Rep, "We are currently waiting on the developer for information at this time."
Me "Fine. So what I am supposed to do? "
Rep: "You can wait for a possible fix or you can exchange your copy from the store you bought it."
Me: "No shit sherlock. So what would you advise I do?"
Rep: "(long pause) You can wait for a possible fix or you could exchange your copy."
Me: "Well if I exchange my copy would that fix the problem?"
Rep:"We are currently waiting on the developer for information at this time."
Me: "And if I choose to wait. How long will I have to wait before there's a fix or you know more about what's going on. A few hours?"
Rep: "It'll be at least 24 hours."
Me: "Where'd you get that figure from? You DO know that something is going on then."

End result: they wouldn't confirm it as known problem or advise a course of action. Grrrr.

Thats pretty lame on R*'s part.

dfyb

Banned
has anyone on ps3 had it start crashing, but later in the game? i'm like 5 hours in and have been doing missions -- am i pretty safe or could it still crash at any time (and it seems to repeatedly crash after the first time..)

:lol holy shit, jet... that's horrible. :(

well, the good news is all of us that can't play the game can at least memorize the map until a patch comes!?!

tha_con

Banned
jetjevons said:

Me: "I got my copy from Gamestop this morning. It crashes during the opening cut-scene 100% of the time. What's going on?"
Rep: "You can wait for a possible fix or you can exchange your copy from the store you bought it."
Rep: "(long pause) You can wait for a possible fix or you could exchange your copy."
Me: "And if I choose to wait. How long will I have to wait before there's a fix or you know more about what's going on. A few hours?"
Me: "Where'd you get that figure from? You DO know that something is going on then."

While I understand your frustration, getting mad at someone who is completely unrelated to your problems is a pretty asshole thing to do. I mean, it's not like that guy is on the Development teams working on it. They're just some joe who is making a pay check like you and me, and that's his job. Seriously.

verio

dfyb said:
has anyone on ps3 had it start crashing, but later in the game? i'm like 5 hours in and have been doing missions -- am i pretty safe or could it still crash at any time (and it seems to repeatedly crash after the first time..)

I'm about 6 hours in, and no issues here (60GB PS3). Silky smooth and looks beautiful.

So, my hopes are high.

medze

jetjevons said:

I fail to see what the rep did wrong. I know you're all frustrated and stuff but expecting a customer service rep to know about gameplay bugs is just pretty thick. Seems he was able to tolerate you still somehow

Back on topic, Ive had the 360 version for a couple days, grabbed it over the weekend. I'm at 50% completion and not had a single freeze. About five or six people I know are picking up their copies for 360 today and I'll post if any of them have issues.

Longshot, but is the issue specific to a version of the game? Maybe the SE's were burned differently? I dunno lol

That said,

Launch 60gb, no issues 7 hours in, Standard Edition.

Baker

Banned
GSG Flash said:
LOL, amazing what lengths people will go to troll a console.

In his defense, when this thread started, it was just listed as a PS3 problem.

30 more minutes before I can test this bad boy out for myself.

Raistlin

dfyb said:

I'd like to know this as well

verio

jetjevons said:

What part of, "we are currently waiting on the developer for information at this time," did you not get? They're not going to have all the answers immediately.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
tha_con said:
While I understand your frustration, getting mad at someone who is completely unrelated to your problems is a pretty asshole thing to do. I mean, it's not like that guy is on the Development teams working on it. They're just some joe who is making a pay check like you and me, and that's his job. Seriously.

I didn't really get mad at him. At the end of the call I said I knew he was just doing his job and not to take it personally. I was just angry that he wasn't allowed to tell me what was going on.

Madman

I have a near launch American 60 GB and the special edition version. No problems after about 2 hours. *knock on wood*

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
jetjevons said:

So he tells you whats going on and you decide to be a jerk and not listen? You didnt talk to a dev you know, he is a phone representative, there is no reason to get mad at him in this situation.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
verio said:
What part of, "we are currently waiting on the developer for information at this time," did you not get? They're not going to have all the answers immediately.

I know. I was just angry and the attitude from him wasn't helping (it's in the tone of voice not what he said).

Diablos

Pimpwerx said:
Sorry for a second post. As noted in my last edit, I had a "lockup on exit" only once. I had started a new game after deleting the profile and save files. I never deleted the data file (sorry, too long to wait for that install each time). I tried to "Quit Game" right after the end credits when
Roman
drives up. It game me the "hold on a sec" screen for a few seconds, then double-beeped and rebooted. I didn't think anything of it. I figured I was just hasty with my game exit. But if it's a symptom, then let me list my stats:

Free Space: 28GB/55GB

Game Data Files:
GTA4
HSG5
GT5P
Folklore
Resistance
Warhawk
R&C
Motorstorm

Not sure if it helps. I'm gonna try again, but haven't have any problems up to mission 3, which is when I decided to reset and test. PEACE.
You beat the game??

dfyb

Banned
jetjevons said:

it's like you expect to be forwarded to a programmer.... who's busy figuring out the problem and trying to fix it.

you're talking to a CSR about a brand new issue. you're going to get a response like that until rockstar comes out with an official announcement. no need to be an ass to the CSR. CSR people aren't the ones working with the issue.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
SuperEnemyCrab said:
:lol

I guess its really important to specify both version are having issues to him?
Its the system warz, every bullet counts.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
dfyb said:
no need to be an ass to the CSR. CSR people aren't the ones working with the issue.

I wasn't being an ass, it sounds worse than it was.

I was trying to get the information that I needed: ie. it would probably be 24 hours before they have an answer This tells me what I need to know. Now I'm going to take the copy back and exchange it.

JudgeN

You can tell alot of people haven't worked customer service before around here, its the representatives JOB to assist and CALM the customer. Repeating the same unsincere shit like a parrot does nothing but frustrate the customer, Which it is your job to be calming remember? Yea it sucks but hey that is what customer service job is. The rep should have been caring or sincere and said "We are aware there is an issue and i'm sorry, I can't give you much help but to have you exchange your copy until we hear back from the developers". Instead the customer rep sounded liked they didn't give a shit, ugh I can't stand bad customer service having worked it for 6 years.

Either way now that i'm done ranting, my PS3 copy is ok so far. Its not a launch 60 gig but still is a 60 gig, got it in March.

Dama said:
is this on both the ps3 and 360 or just the 360?

Personally I think the 360 issues are just your basic freezes/lockups that happen when any new game that taxes the system comes out. The Ps3 issues seem hardware specific to certain models.

this is total speculation though based only on what i've read on the intranets.

Salmonax

jetjevons said:
If only you'd phrased the question a few more ways, he would have spilled the beans. I recommend calling several more times.

Raistlin

SuperEnemyCrab said:
Personally I think the 360 issues are just your basic freezes/lockups that happen when any new game that taxes the system comes out. The Ps3 issues seem hardware specific to certain models.

this is total speculation though based only on what i've read on the intranets.

At least a few people are having the same basic issue with the 360 (repeated crashing the prevents you from playing the game at all) ... so it seems to be a similar problem on both.

Beyond that, both systems also have random crashes, however, those do not prevent playing of the game (much :p)

reading all these posts, was starting to scare me. picked up ps3 copy last nite installed and played the game fine for hours. no problems. no online yet but all else is good.

Ezza

PS3 model (20/40/60/80): 60GB
Region: US
When PS3 was purchased: Launch 2006
Have you upgraded your hard drive? Yes
If so, what make/model/size HDD are you using? 160 GB
PS3 flat or on its side? side
Any other information that you think might be relevant: 57GB left on HD, 2.30 fw

I think I have everybody beat so far, I haven't even made it to the opening cinematic. It gets stuck at the very first page of text after I start the game 100% of the time. I've left it on there for ~30 mins and nothing. Only thing I can do at that point is reset the PS3.

Is it installing here, or is there an installation screen later?

Evlar

Banned
adas said:
PS3 model (20/40/60/80): 60GB
Region: US
When PS3 was purchased: Launch 2006
Have you upgraded your hard drive? Yes
If so, what make/model/size HDD are you using? 160 GB
PS3 flat or on its side? side
Any other information that you think might be relevant: 57GB left on HD, 2.30 fw

I think I have everybody beat so far, I haven't even made it to the opening cinematic. It gets stuck at the very first page of text after I start the game 100% of the time. I've left it on there for ~30 mins and nothing. Only thing I can do at that point is reset the PS3.

Is it installing here, or is there an installation screen later?
Installation screen later.

Mrbob

I picked up the game for PS3 today, have a 60 gigger at home with the standard hdd still in it. Here is hoping everything works when I go home to test it out later tonight. If not, I hope EB lets me exchange it out for the 360 version.

twlomega

You get an achievement on the 360 version right after the cinematic that locks up for almost everyone, so maybe it's intentional. You get an achievement if your game doesn't lock up.. and then you fail otherwise.

It's all about that gamerscore!

Mrbob

By the way, is it possible that those who bought the SE are the ones having the problems? Perhaps the SE discs were burned incorrectly?

tha_con

Banned
jetjevons said:
I didn't really get mad at him. At the end of the call I said I knew he was just doing his job and not to take it personally. I was just angry that he wasn't allowed to tell me what was going on.

It's more reasonable to assume he doesn't know jack shit, not that he isn't allowed to tell you.

It's not like R* had a press conference with their Tech Support and told them "alright eveyrone, there's a line of code that isn't working with our streaming engine, the compression sequences are out of whack, this is what it looks like, but tell all your customers you're waiting on developer information".

It's very likely that they have no idea, and like wise, Rockstar has no idea why these crashes are happening. I mean, it's been out all of what, 17 hours in the US?

Ezza

Mrbob said:
By the way, is it possible that those who bought the SE are the ones having the problems? Perhaps the SE discs were burned incorrectly?

Mine is regular edition and it's busted.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
tha_con said:
It's more reasonable to assume he doesn't know jack shit, not that he isn't allowed to tell you.

But he HAD been told it would probably be 24 hours before they get an answer. He wasn't exactly forthcoming with that. That helps me make my decision as to whether I will return the game or wait for a patch.

Docpan

Quck update to this thread:

I'm one of the owners of the 360 version who was experiencing freezing problems. (I have a 20gb Premium 360, btw)

I had the wild assumption that this freezing had something to do with the data saved in the game's cache on the harddrive.

I went ahead and cleared the 360's cache, and the game no longer freezes in that spot. Time will tell if it will freeze again, but for owners of the 360 version who are freezing--

TRY CLEARING THE CACHE!!

Sorry, no tips for PS3 owners. This is just a temporary fix until they release a patch.

Here's just a thought...don't know if it's worth anything...

For you guys who've had trouble with GTA IV on the PS3:

Have you guys tried the "Ratchet and Clank Bug Fix" yet?

-Delete your GTA IV game data

-Add (or subtract) 500MB or more of data (video, music or photos) and reinstall GTA IV.

-After install, delete added data, if any.

...It's worth a shot, since that's what fixed the R&C Bug. I don't know anyone with a problem with their PS3 and GTA...all my friends' PS3s (as well as my own) are working fine with the game, so I obviously haven't tried it myself, but it's worth a try.

epmode

My 360 Premium (not a launch system, but not a Falcon) locked up when trying on new glasses to impress that first girl. Whee

n1n9tean

Banned
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKF CUFKC FUKCFUFKCFUCUFKC FKCU KFUCK FUCK UFCFUCUF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*quietly raises hand*

Near launch (January) 60GB PS3 (US). Freezes on the opening scene every time.

Top Bottom