• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.

tfur

I would try a few things...

See if not being signed into PSN has any effect.
Try looking over some of the ps2 system config params.
Try logging in as another user.

what other 360 game had a major freezing/lockup issue that required you to clear the cache all the time? oblivion?

i think that was about the time we were told about the clear cache code (X, X, LB, RB, X, X).

sounds like 360 users might have to clear the cache every few hours or so to keep it from freezing on this game as well.

Here is an interesting thought someone else had as well. Are the people who are having issues playing the SE or the LE editions? I can't see how it would matter, but maybe the discs were pressed in different facilities or machines, whatever, to make it easier to distribute for the different packaging.

I'm probably really reaching but....

n1n9tean said:
FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCK FUCKF CUFKC FUKCFUFKCFUCUFKC FKCU KFUCK FUCK UFCFUCUF !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

*quietly raises hand*

Near launch (January) 60GB PS3 (US). Freezes on the opening scene every time.

Can you bypass the cut scene or does it freeze immediately?

n1n9tean

Banned
nextgeneration said:
Can you bypass the cut scene or does it freeze immediately?
Can't skip it. Can't do anything but force my PS3 to shut off. Those 3 beeps pierce my heart every time. I swear they do. They are of some sort of special frequency that really makes you feel awful when you hear it.

harSon

Banned
I just tried my friends copy of Grand Theft Auto 4 on my Playstation 3 and it has the very same problems it has on his. I'm able to get past the intro but it freezes soon after. This is his second copy of GTA4 too...

sajj316

My personal take is that it is isolated to a select 60/20 launch PS3s w/ some sort of defect in the HDD that is brought to the forefront because of GTA IV. I've heard launch 60 GB machines that have their HDD upgraded w/ no problems. If this is the case ... there isn't anything anyone can do about it other than wait for a patch fix. Sorry guys.

MrKyle

Alright, this sucks. 80gb PS3, random freezes during gameplay. This coincidently started only after I saved my game. Autosaving didn't seem to cause any freezing, but saving by sleeping in my apartment then caused freezing during gameplay.

Edit: After deleting the newly created save, game runs fine. So what, we can't save our game progress? We have to rely on the autosave?

_RT_

Ummmmm.
WTF.
Launch 60 gig.
I get through the opening credits. Then they get in the car. Then.....

crash.
*cry*

Barrett2

PS3 - brand new 40Gig - 5 hours in, game just crashed, had to do a hard re-start.

Fuuuuck, I hope this doesn't happen often. I can't believe none of the reviews mentioned this.

edit: umm, when I booted the game back up, it immediately re-froze

sajj316 said:
My personal take is that it is isolated to a select 60/20 launch PS3s w/ some sort of defect in the HDD that is brought to the forefront because of GTA IV. I've heard launch 60 GB machines that have their HDD upgraded w/ no problems. If this is the case ... there isn't anything anyone can do about it other than wait for a patch fix. Sorry guys.

Both Argyle and I upgraded our HDDs, so it's not a HDD issue.

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Been playing 360 version all day, both single and multiplayer with plenty of cutscenes and no problems yet.

I will say though that when you have a ton of people in multiplayer with the whole city coming after you, the framerate drops to a pretty ugly place.

Otherwise, GOTF.

jaaz

I know this may be grasping at straws, but anyone experiencing freezing have that (annoying) information bar turned on by any chance? Or a custom theme? I would try to make sure that the XMB is as bare bones as possible.

In case this helps:

I have experienced no freezing (so far) and I have a 60 gig launch PS3.

-Regular edition game.
-More than 5 gigs of hard drive space.
-HDMI connection, with audio going through optical out to a receiver.
-Signed on to PSN, Information Bar off.
-No custom themes or wallpaper.
-Have tried both 720p and forced 1080p upscaling without issues.
- PS3 is horizontal in a ventilated place.
- Using DualShock 3

jaaz said:
I know this may be grasping at straws, but anyone experiencing freezing have that (annoying) information bar turned on by any chance? Or a custom theme? I would try to make sure that the XMB is as bare bones as possible.

In case this helps:

-Regular edition game.

My setup is like yours except I have a custom theme. I'll try removing that but I don't see how that's gonna help.

Fuck, I did it. I bought the 360 version at lunch. I'm gonna keep it sealed. After work I'm picking up the PS3 version that I already paid for. If it works, I return the unopened 360 version for a full refund. If it freezes, I crack open the 360 version, play that, exchange the opened PS3 verison for something else, and hope like hell I don't get the red rings.

And if they both freeze, well, you all laugh at me...

I'll report tomorrow what happened.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Arg. My first ten hours with the game were smooth, and now I've had two freezes. I'm hoping that if I let the system cool down I'll be alright.

jaaz

Marty Chinn said:
My setup is like yours except I have a custom theme. I'll try removing that but I don't see how that's gonna help.

At this point, might as well try anything.

B-Ri

jaaz said:

In case this helps:

-Regular edition game.
- Using DualShock 3

-regular edition
-less then 5 gigs left on hdd
-hdmi and optical
-signed on to psn, info bar on
-custom theme and wallpaper on
-720p
-vertacle ps3
-dualshock 3

60gb launch ps3, works like a charm.

Baker

Banned
Well, I made it past the intro cutscene on my 60gig. I was holding my breath the whole time.

I asked the Gamestop manager when I picked it up. He said they were aware of the PS3 problems but had not received any returns yet.

Bliddo

Bliddo said:
Late 07 60gig unit, european, so far so good.
I'll revise my statement
Froze on a cut scene, then while I was driving
Piss off level 90%
After that piece of crap port of Bully nw rockstar blessed us with another fine piece of work. Way to g buddies

Woo-Fu

Banned
Played for a couple hours on a PS3 60GB, up until around when you get the first Vlad mission. I was just finishing up a call with my girl to setup a date and it locked up.

I have the 360 version too, maybe I'll play that instead.

Barrett2

My game has frozen four times in the last half hour. I am playing on basically a brand new, 40gig model.

I am going to try signing out of PSN, removing custom themes, etc.. Fuck, hopefully something works.

GTA4 just crashed on me on my devkit. I played it during lunch and then left it paused at the map for a couple hours. It's completely locked up now. Heh I got basic tty output from it though but nothing useful other than a basic crash dump info.

Whoompthereitis said:
Fuck, I did it. I bought the 360 version at lunch. I'm gonna keep it sealed. After work I'm picking up the PS3 version that I already paid for. If it works, I return the unopened 360 version for a full refund. If it freezes, I crack open the 360 version, play that, exchange the opened PS3 verison for something else, and hope like hell I don't get the red rings.

And if they both freeze, well, you all laugh at me...

I'll report tomorrow what happened.
I wish you good luck sir.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Hey does anyone know if I can take back the PS3 version I pre-ordered online at Gamestop to a Gamestop store and exchange for the 360 version?

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
60GIG, 20 minute in, "watching TV, FREEZE

Driving cousin around, just met douchbag and chick at work..FREEZE

wtf

JCtheMC

Just got 2 crashes after eachother, on the same mission. Been playing for most of the day, but the first crash came after a 45 minute break during which the PS3 was in standby. I have a European 60gig unit, bought in late 2007. No idea when it was fabricated.

Reinstalling the game now and i'm hoping that helps.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
What machinese did Rockstar playtest this game on, WTH, freezes and we cannot even play multiplayer. UGH.

Baker

Banned
I lied. It just locked up during the apartment cutscene. I'm going to reboot and head back to Gamestop probably.

Das-J

Law of the West
I just can't understand how all these issues made it through certification! I haven't played my copy yet but I sure as hell hope I'm one of the lucky ones. :(

Ding

WickedLaharl said:
what other 360 game had a major freezing/lockup issue that required you to clear the cache all the time? oblivion?

i think that was about the time we were told about the clear cache code (X, X, LB, RB, X, X).
Yes, The 360 version of Oblivion had a bug that could sometimes corrupt its hard drive cache. It didn't happen "all the time". Most people were completely unaffected. It happened once to me during the ~150 hours I played that game.

There's no "code". To delete any game's cache, insert the game disc and hold down any button while the various splash screens are shown. Once you reach the main title screen, you can release the button. I used the 'A' button. YMMV.

In Oblivion, cache corruption did not cause the game to freeze or crash, it just destroyed performance. It was like an anti-cache. : ) Interestingly, Oblivion also would lock up and crash on occasion. Happened to me, once. This seemed unrelated to any cache problems. (The coding on that game was a tad sketchy. In two plus years I've had my 360, I've had precisely two lockups. One in Oblivion, one in the PGR3 menus. Both were acknowledged as game bugs.)

WickedLaharl said:
sounds like 360 users might have to clear the cache every few hours or so to keep it from freezing on this game as well.
That's remarkably unlikely. It's worth a shot though.

mildewproduction

crash.jpg

I see people's faces looking like this cat when it keeps freezing.

sw26

60Gb PAL machine, refurb machine given to me by Sony to replace my broken 60Gb I bought last July.

Locked up completely while I was in a bar playing Roman at pool, and I had to do a hard reset of my system. I've probably been playing for 2-3 hours (in total that is, my session just now was probably an hour and a half at most).

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
:lol At the OP not mentioning the 360 version. This is ridiculous. It's a troll thread instead of a help thread.

test_account

XP-39C²
When i first tried to install GTA 4 on my PS3 the installer stopped after maybe 1 minute (the pictures in the background were shuffling, but the installbar didnt move for maybe 3-5 minutes or so). I pulled out the internet cable from my PS3 while i installed GTA 4, so i think maybe this had something to do with it.

I clicked on the PS-button on my controller and chose "quit game". Then it took maybe 10-15 secounds and i hearded a beep, then my PS3 restarted automaticly. I tried to start GTA 4 again and then the installation worked without any problems from what i can tell atleast :) I have played the game for about 1 hour and it worked fine so far, atleast from what i can tell. I have the 60GB Starter Pack model that was sold in Europe last year.

D

Deleted member 22576

Unconfirmed Member
The game just locked up on me.
Not during a cutscene though, I was just driving.
I think it's because I left it on pause for a good 20 minutes while I made some coffee.

On a Jan07 360.

Top Bottom