• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

GTA4 Freezing/Crashing Thread - PS3 patch is up, no fix for 360 yet.

Have you experienced the GTA IV crashing/freezing?

Results are only viewable after voting.
Is the freezing only an issue with PS3s? It seems so based on the OP, but I haven't been keeping up with this thread, so there may have been new developments...

test_account

XP-39C²
Baker said:
I lied. It just locked up during the apartment cutscene. I'm going to reboot and head back to Gamestop probably.
Who is that girl in your avatar? I've been wondering for a while now so i thought i'd finally ask :)

sw26

Jack Scofield said:
Is the freezing only an issue with PS3s? It seems so based on the OP, but I haven't been keeping up with this thread, so there may have been new developments...

Some 360's have been affected too from the posts in this thread.

mildewproduction

Jack Scofield said:

It's freezing on some 360's but the VAST majority of the problems SEEM to be coming from PS3 owners.

elseanio

I guess my hang was just random. I messaged a few of my mates (mostly all have the 60GB launch) they've froze a couple times, but still been able to progress through the game well enough. So, not getting the 100% bug.

Mrbob

Jack Scofield said:

Both but it seems more prevalent on PS3 at the moment.

GeoramA

During the date with Michelle, the game froze for 5 seconds then started back up again. Been playing for about 4 hours and that's the only problem I encountered so far.

Roxas

just had my first complete freeze, was browsing through the TV stations, and just locked up on the CNT channel. Had to shut down the PS3 manually.

mrbagdt

i was about to just call BS on this whole thing.... and then i got my copy.....

Froze on the first cutscene

restarted, skipped first cutscene, played until the second cutscene, it played all of the second cutscene, then as soon as the game started again it had froze up.

guess now i will try to delete the info and reinstall... etc....

EDIT : after a second restart, everything runs fine. who knows.

Ether_Snake said:
:lol At the OP not mentioning the 360 version. This is ridiculous. It's a troll thread instead of a help thread.

I didn't mention the 360 because it wasn't confirmed at that time. I had seen plenty of complaints about the PS3 locking up. My PS3 version locked up. My friend had their PS3 lock up. So I knew the PS3 was a legit issue. As for the 360, nobody on here at the time could confirm it and was only quoting outside sources so I left it as PS3 only because I didn't want to spread false info that the 360 was having issues too. Not a troll thread at all. Heck, do you even know who I am?

Jaeyden

Jaeyden said:
60g launch unit. I'm in the U.S., my console was manufactured in Japan. Played for about 4 hours last night and some multi-player too. No freezes. Fingers crossed.

Well it fucking happened. Was doing Ivan the not so terrible and the part
where you jump off the scaffolding
and it froze. Seems like when I started playing it today the frame rates were a bit less than last night and I was getting little micro pauses every minute or two.... fucking figures.

Mrbob

Damn, a ton more reports of 60GB PS3s freezing and PS3 in general.

I wonder if it is even worth my time to take off the shrinkwrap for the PS3 version. Might be better off swapping it out for the 360 revision. 60GB PS3 vs old launch 360, I get to pick my poison yay! I love this gen. Roll the dice to see if the game works.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Mrbob said:
Damn, a ton more reports of 60GB PS3s freezing and PS3 in general.

I wonder if it is even worth my time to take off the shrinkwrap for the PS3 version. Might be better off swapping it out for the 360 revision. 60GB PS3 vs old launch 360, I get to pick my poison yay! I love this gen. Roll the dice to see if the game works.
minty is waiting

Timan

Developer
Mine sometime gets stuck at the loading screens of missions when I do retry...

Its a pain in the ass since it takes forever for this game to start up.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Marty Chinn said:
I didn't mention the 360 because it wasn't confirmed at that time. I had seen plenty of complaints about the PS3 locking up. My PS3 version locked up. My friend had their PS3 lock up. So I knew the PS3 was a legit issue. As for the 360, nobody on here at the time could confirm it and was only quoting outside sources so I left it as PS3 only because I didn't want to spread false info that the 360 was having issues too. Not a troll thread at all. Heck, do you even know who I am?

Just edit the post?:p

GeoramA

Awesome, mine just completely froze now too while driving Roman back. I thought I was in the clear since my 60gb isn't a launch unit but I guess not.

God Fucking Dammit.

Captain Pants

Killed by a goddamned Dredgeling
Anyone else try vacuuming your PS3? So far so good, no freezes for the last 20 minutes or so. I will report back if it freezes again, but I'm hoping I don't have to.

Ether_Snake said:
Just edit the post?:p

Summarize all the details about what's causing the 360 crash and what isn't and I'll add it in. I'm not going to research the problem that really doesn't affect me right now.

Erebus

Great just great! Now someone needs to create a thread about who doesn't have experienced crashes.

OMG it's Warhawk beta all over again... :(

FirewalkR

THANK GOD IT'S NOT JUST MY PS3!!!

THANK! GOD!!!! :lol

Aaaah misery loves company. :D

Mine is a 60GB PAL unit. I had it lock twice, first time in the middle of a mission when I went to the map, it just froze. Second time was during a cutscene, gfx stopped and audio continued. I rebooted before checking if it would freeze for good.

PS: yes, i'm kind of a selfish bastard.

Mrbob

jetjevons said:

I don't think anyone knows. This is why I don't want to open up my PS3 copy as it is easy to exchange an item which hasn't been opened.

Best bet is to call the store.

DrBo42

Have any of you guys tried removing your ethernet cable from your PS3? Maybe some weird kind of stat upload error that causes the game to freak out. Worth a shot.

Ether_Snake

安安安安安安安安安安安安安安安
Marty Chinn said:
Summarize all the details about what's causing the 360 crash and what isn't and I'll add it in. I'm not going to research the problem that really doesn't affect me right now.

WHAT IS KNOWN SO FAR

- Affects 360 units, but not consistent if it's a launch system or Elite or not
- Freezes during cinematic scene but audio still continues a bit before completely locked up
- Trying the same disc on another model often results in it working
- Deleting your save file does not fix the problem
- Playing with your wiener doesn't fix the problem

chespace

It's not actually trolling if you don't admit it
Captain Pants said:
Anyone else try vacuuming your PS3? So far so good, no freezes for the last 20 minutes or so. I will report back if it freezes again, but I'm hoping I don't have to.

What the fuck, vacuuming? Even if your vents aren't dusty?

Somnia

Been playing all day (since 10:30AM CST) without a single lockup...I am on an 80gig though so that may be part of it.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
DrBo42 said:
Have any of you guys tried removing your ethernet cable from your PS3? Maybe some weird kind of stat upload error that causes the game to freak out. Worth a shot.

I have tried it with my internet disabled.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
Ether_Snake said:
WHAT IS KNOWN SO FAR

- Freezes during cinematic scene but audio still continues a bit before completely locked up

- Changing screen resolution does not fix problem.
- Disabling internet does not fix problem
- Deleting GTAIV save and game data does not fix problem
- Deleting all game saves and all game data for all games on all user profiles does not fix problem

theBishop

Banned
so is it generally agreed that exchanging for another disc (not the green one) will NOT fix the problem? I'm trying to decide if its worth the trip to the store.

PS: you guys with "n hours and no problems" need to quit it. If you have the problem, it happens within the first few minutes. Knock it off and enjoy your godly game.

Ether_Snake said:
WHAT IS KNOWN SO FAR

Look if you're not going to be serious aobut it, I can't trust what you post. Someone else summarize it and I'll add up the info. You're the one trolling a legit thread.

my brother has the 20 gig launch ps3, this thing is a beast, he plays oblivion non-stop, the thing never ever froze, also has no problems with gta4.

Ezza

adas said:
PS3 model (20/40/60/80): 60GB
Region: US
When PS3 was purchased: Launch 2006
Have you upgraded your hard drive? Yes
If so, what make/model/size HDD are you using? 160 GB
PS3 flat or on its side? side
Any other information that you think might be relevant: 57GB left on HD, 2.30 fw

I think I have everybody beat so far, I haven't even made it to the opening cinematic. It gets stuck at the very first page of text after I start the game 100% of the time. I've left it on there for ~30 mins and nothing. Only thing I can do at that point is reset the PS3.

Update: I went out and left my PS3 on the XMB doing nothing for about an hour. Came back and hit the game, this time it installed just fine and started the opening cinematic. That froze right after Niko knocked on the door. Sound keeps going though.

Going to try this on another PS3 now.

Goddammit R*...

Was played for about 6 hours and no freezes. Then later it was played for about 3 hours and it froze twice. 60GB UK launch PS3.

Hope Rockstar can fix this :(

I had problems with my 360 scratching discs and red ringing and now this, next gen ftw.

JudgeN

I can't wait for the PR when R* bitches about PS3 sales, after releasing a game that freezes and the multiplayer is down day one, fuck.

inner-G

Banned
Some random post on another forum (PS3 version) says disabling the internet connection can temporarily fix the freezing.

Not credible, but may be worth a shot if you're stuck.

theBishop

Banned
inner-G said:
Some random post on another forum (PS3 version) says disabling the internet connection can temporarily fix the freezing.

doesn't work at all.

jetjevons

Bish loves my games!
inner-G said:

It may fix the freezing but it doesn't stop the intro from crashing.

Top Bottom