• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guardians Of The Galaxy Vol. 2 Hits Tracking: $150M Opening Within Reach

Status
Not open for further replies.
Said in the other superhero movie box office thread that this film was arguably gonna make a billion, and could take in more than the Justice League. I stand by it.

a916

I don't doubt supes and bats got that potential, but as I recall, the reviews were embargoed until one or two days before release, which is pretty late so I doubt they'd make much of a difference initially. Obviously WOM had a big impact soon after.

I believe they predicted 180 opening weekend, but WOM and the dropoff dropped it down to 166.

Who else in space should Marvel do?

blog-nova.jpg

Already bought pre order tickets, only movies I've done that for in the past 2 years has been Star Wars / Rogue One. Wife and I both loved GOTG and its rare to find movies we both want to see.

Interestingly she says she and her book club want to go see Wonder Woman but I think it'll be like 100% of the other movies they have all wanted to see in the past 5 years: everyone says it, no one plans, it never ends up happening and they all wait for it to show up on netflix.

Sesha

Nova would basically be Male Captain Marvel. We're not getting Nova.

We're getting Nova. He's a fan favorite, and has been in the consideration before, both on his own and as part of Guardians. Marvel is quickly running out of solo series potentials, and Hawkeye, Falcon, Scarlet WItch and Vision probably aren't getting movies anytime soon.

We're getting Nova. He's a fan favorite, has been in the consideration before, both on his own and as part of Guardians. Marvel is quickly running out of solo series potentials, and Hawkeye, Falcon, Scarlet WItch and Vision probably aren't getting movies anytime soon.

Given everything they're making sequels to, they have space for one, maybe 2, new heroes/teams/concepts each Phase. Not to mention they could easily treat mantle passings like new series (Bucky or Falcon Captain America, Jane Foster Thor [I don't think one will actually happen, just an example]). For Phase 4, they actually have the pieces in place to be able to do a Siege/Dark Reign storyline, so they could use that to make movies based off villains. What I'm saying is there's other things they can do before they have to tap the well and do Nova.

Nova would basically be Male Captain Marvel. We're not getting Nova.

Ding ding ding.

I'm surprised more people don't realize that.

At best, Nova will appear as part of GOTG or Captain Marvel's films. They're not going to uncut CM for Nova. It's the same reason you're not getting say, A Netflix Shang Chi series. Iron Fist already covers similar ground. They want to reach for other audiences, not the same ones.

Litan

We're getting Nova. He's a fan favorite, and has been in the consideration before, both on his own and as part of Guardians. Marvel is quickly running out of solo series potentials, and Hawkeye, Falcon, Scarlet WItch and Vision probably aren't getting movies anytime soon.
I'm not saying we'll never get a Nova movie. I just think it won't be anytime soon.
There's only so many slots available, why would they give one to a character with very similar powersets to Captain Marvel and who, like Captain Marvel, plays in both the cosmic and earth sides of the universe?
There are plenty of other characters to choose from.

Sesha

Given everything they're making sequels to, they have space for one, maybe 2, new heroes/teams/concepts each Phase. Not to mention they could easily treat mantle passings like new series (Bucky or Falcon Captain America, Jane Foster Thor [I don't think one will actually happen, just an example]). For Phase 4, they actually have the pieces in place to be able to do a Siege/Dark Reign storyline, so they could use that to make movies based off villains.

They have room for more. We got two in phase 2, and four in phase 3 (Strange, Spidey, Carol, BP). They're not gonna slow down on new heroes just because they will have at most six franchises to make sequels to in phase 4. New franchises are the lifeblood of the MCU, and Feige understands that. Feige has said that phase 4 will be very different compared to the previous three, so I think we can expect some shake-ups. He's also talked about them, IIRC, wanting to expand the MCU in various ways.

I'm not saying we'll never get a Nova movie. I just think it won't be anytime soon.
There's only so many slots available, why would they give one to a character with very similar powersets to Captain Marvel and who, like Captain Marvel, plays in both the cosmic and earth sides of the universe?

Aside from maybe his origin story, Nova doesn't need to be on Earth. Their powers being kinda similar isn't that big of a deal, and character and personality-wise they are different enough.

While there are a lot of characters to choose from, I don't see a lot of them getting movies. I see Thunderbolts, Ms. Marvel, Nova, and Black Widow as the likely candidates, and even BW I think is a big if.

Feige has promised more diverse casts and more female led projects. A quick guess for Phase 4 solo films that Marvel owns?

I'd think Ms. Marvel fits what they want, but I'm unsure how soon after Captain Marvel they'd do her. Captain Britain is a strong choice, especially if they go with the Faisa Hussein version of the character.

A minority Namor would also be a good direction to go in, though Marvel may not want to tread the same ground as WB with Aquaman.

Long shots: I could see them playing with The Sentry or Hyperion. Killraven or Weirdworld would be way out there, but I think Marvel could sell both.

(Also, I honestly think Marvel would do Sam if they were doing Nova, if only because they don't have the rights to Spider-Man and that would give them another young hero to work with. Probably in the style of the current Nova book, with Sam and Rich together.)

The overall point is to be strategic. What hole does this film fit into?

Feige has promised more diverse casts and more female led projects. A quick guess for Phase 4 solo films that Marvel owns?

I'd think Ms. Marvel fits what they want, but I'm unsure how soon after Captain Marvel they'd do her. Captain Britain is a strong choice, especially if they go with the Faisa Hussein version of the character.

A minority Namor would also be a good direction to go in, though Marvel may not want to tread the same ground as WB with Aquaman.

Long shots: I could see them playing with The Sentry or Hyperion. Killraven or Weirdworld would be way out there, but I think Marvel could sell both.

(Also, I honestly think Marvel would do Sam if they were doing Nova, if only because they don't have the rights to Spider-Man and that would give them another young hero to work with. Probably in the style of the current Nova book, with Sam and Rich together.)

Isn't Namor supposed to be in the same place as The Hulk where someone else owns the distribution rights to the character?

And when I thought about Dark Reign, I considered whether they'd make a Sentry/Void movie in there somewhere.

neoanarch

Isn't Namor supposed to be in the same place as The Hulk where someone else owns the distribution rights to the character?

And when I thought about Dark Reign, I considered whether they'd make a Sentry/Void movie in there somewhere.

They could pull a Hulk. Set it during WWII and call it The Invaders. Shoehorn in grandpa Black Panther. Pay me Marvel.

Litan

They said Valkyrie is supposed to play a role in the MCU beyond Ragnarok, so I'm hoping that means she'll be taking the fantasy corner of the Universe now that Thor has had his trilogy.

Osahi

Had won premiere tickets for the 25th in Belgium. But today I learned I'll probably have to fly out to Spain for work that day. Sucks.

tomtom94

It seems to happen for a lot of Marvel movies for some reason.

I believe it's something to do with anti-piracy, since most pirated DVDs go from the US to other territories, open it early in said other territories and there's less incentive to do that.

I believe it's something to do with anti-piracy, since most pirated DVDs go from the US to other territories, open it early in said other territories and there's less incentive to do that.

So strange that other stuff like Lego Batman isn't even out here yet. Because delaying releases for many months is sure to help piracy!

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Had won premiere tickets for the 25th in Belgium. But today I learned I'll probably have to fly out to Spain for work that day. Sucks.

"Dear boss,

I have tickets to Guardians of the Galaxy vol 2, I will therefor fly to Spain on the 26th. I'm sure you understand. Obviously.

Sincerely,
Osahi"

Ding ding ding.

At best, Nova will appear as part of GOTG or Captain Marvel's films. They're not going to uncut CM for Nova. It's the same reason you're not getting say, A Netflix Shang Chi series. Iron Fist already covers similar ground. They want to reach for other audiences, not the same ones.

Nova could exist as a secondary character in GoG or Captain Marvel. A space marshal has a lot of uses.

george_us

10 years ago "Batman, Spider-Man, and Iron Man" in the A-tier would have sounded ridiculous and now we're talking about Guardians of the freaking Galaxy joining that tier, lol. Crazy.
Honestly, is Batman even A-tier at this point? Sure we still have Nolan's films but I figure the stink of Snyder-verse might drag him down.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Honestly, is Batman even A-tier at this point? Sure we still have Nolan's films but I figure the stink of Snyder-verse might drag him down.

Depends on what you'd consider A-tier. He's highly recognizable, sells tons of merch, and it's still one of the most popular comics out there. LEGO Batman did $300 million so far and it's still in theaters.

Snyderman is tainted as fuck, but that taint seems to be contained to the DCEU.

Cipherr

Last movie he was in still almost hit 900m. And before that was the Nolan ones which were A tier, so yeah I think hes still there, but they are playing with fire unless they get him in good movies from here on out.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
They said Valkyrie is supposed to play a role in the MCU beyond Ragnarok, so I'm hoping that means she'll be taking the fantasy corner of the Universe now that Thor has had his trilogy.

IS THIS TRUE

OMG

PRAISE BE

do you have a source?

i hope it's a solo series and not an addition to the Guardians or something

Tessa-Thompson-as-Valkyrie-in-Thor-Ragnarok.jpg

DC could have pulled $200 mill+ if they got good reviews,

BvS had a historically awful collapse Sat-Sun. Word have mouth was already setting in by then. Reviews, which didn't even go live until a day before the movie released, were inconsequential to its opening weekend.

$200m may have been possible with a good movie, but the movie that was actually released wouldn't have hit that number under any release conditions.

DeathyBoy

Banned
Depends on what you'd consider A-tier. He's highly recognizable, sells tons of merch, and it's still one of the most popular comics out there. LEGO Batman did $300 million so far and it's still in theaters.

Batman is absolutely A-tier. He's been in three theatrical films in the last year, each of which made a healthy profit. Even stuff like Batman and Robin makes a profit.

Even his bad films make money.

If that's not A-tier, nothing is. See how well Marvel films do when their films get 35%. I guarantee you it won't be 800 plus million.

george_us

All true. I saw that the poster didn't include Superman whom I always thought was A-tier, so I was curious as to what the criteria was.

Donald Trump is president, and a comic movie starring a bunch of Z-listers, one of which is a goddamn tree and the other a talking fucking raccoon, will probably open higher than a Justice League movie.

Stop the World, I Want to Get Off.

-Plasma Reus-

Service guarantees member status
Donald Trump is president, and a comic movie starring a bunch of Z-listers, one of which is a goddamn tree and the other a talking fucking raccoon, will probably open higher than a Justice League movie.

Stop the World, I Want to Get Off.
You best start believing in sliders episodes...

You're in one!

Zen Aku

Ding ding ding.

Nova could be what The Punisher is to Daredevil (before he got his own spin off show)

I don't mind Nova being a support character that would lend more connections between the NOVA Corps and the Guardians of the Galaxy. I'll be stoke if he shows up in Guardians of the Galaxy vol. 3

Some updated tracking from Hollywood Reporter:

In North America, Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 is tracking to open in the $130 million-$150 million range, well ahead of the first film's $94.7 million launch in early August 2014. The movie was a surprise hit and went on to earn $733 million globally, a rousing number considering it featured a rag-tag group of lesser-known superheroes.

And on the overseas opening this week

Tracking suggests the quirky superhero tentpole, from Disney and Marvel Studios, could approach or top $100 million from its first 58 foreign territories. Major markets include Australia, France, Germany, Brazil, the U.K. and Mexico.

$100M would be shockingly low, IMO, but given how tracking has lowballed the big overseas openings this year I'm not worried. I'm expecting around $150M, but if it approaches $200M, that will be an indication it'll explode stateside next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom