• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerilla Games: PS4 has no performance bottlenecks

You can only work with the power that you have. The PS4 is a balanced piece of hardware, but it won't compare to a high end PC card performance-wise. The lack of bottlenecks does not equate to the PS4 being uber-powerful, just that it's components complement each other and perform up to their capabilities.

umm this could be said about any console ever.

FYI lack of power is a bottleneck. ;)

ascii42

No it isn't. One part of a system is a bottleneck. The whole system can't be a bottleneck. That's not what the word means.

what does the HDD bottleneck? the optical drive? the gpu? the cpu? the ram usage?

it's in it's own contained environment effecting load times, it's not a bottleneck as far as i can tell. also, you can always swap it out for an SSD.

If a game streams data during gameplay, the data read speed limits how much data can be loaded over a given time frame. Theoretically, that could limit the quality of assets displayed or the number of them, if it's the case that the system would otherwise be capable of displaying better or more stuff.

In this case, swapping out for an SSD wouldn't help matters, because the game had to be designed around what's built into the system.

Triple U

Banned

Except you can't say that at all. PS3 being the latest glaring example.

And you obviously have no idea of what a bottleneck is.
It's basically the same architecture as the original Wii just on steroids. Nintendo seemed to be more focused on energy efficiency rather than performance.
I'd say creatine more than steroids.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
If a game streams data, the data read speed limits how much data can be read. Theoretically, that could limit the quality of assets displayed or the number of them, if it's the case that the system would otherwise be capable of displaying better or more stuff.

so would a 7200 rpm drive be incapable of loading in textures needed to occupy 8gbs of ram in a reasonable about of time? i wouldnt think so.

In this case, swapping out for an SSD wouldn't help matters, because the game had to be designed around what's built into the system

the game would load faster. no? though i get your point that no one would sneak in 4k tile textures in the first place if the SSD werent standard.

I thought bottlenecks were about trying to push too much stuff for the bandwidth it can give. I mean, in a way that both processes can work if they're not done at the same time, thus causing the bottleneck when they all try to do stuff at the same time.

Unless by lack of power you mean lack of PSU power to power the cpu/gpu I guess.

ascii42

so would a 7200 rpm drive be incapable of loading in textures needed to occupy 8gbs of ram in a reasonable about of time? i wouldnt think so.

I wouldn't think so either, but that wasn't my point. There's a difference between can't be, which is what you said, and won't be. If the hard drive were sufficiently slow, it could in theory be a bottleneck. That was my point. I'd guess that some games were bottlenecked by DVD/Blu-ray read speeds.

the game would load faster. no? though i get your point that no one would sneak in 4k tile textures in the first place if the SSD werent standard.

Right, if it's an open world game, the quality of assets are going to be based around how quickly the standard hard drive can read data in relation to how fast your character can move. (If read speed was the bottleneck, obviously if something else was the bottleneck, that would be the determining factor, not read speed)

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
I wouldn't think so either, but that wasn't my point. There's a difference between can't be, which is what you said, and won't be. If the hard drive were sufficiently slow, it could in theory be a bottleneck. That was my point.

Ah, fair enough. 'won't be'.

Triple U

Banned
If a game streams data during gameplay, the data read speed limits how much data can be loaded over a given time frame. Theoretically, that could limit the quality of assets displayed or the number of them, if it's the case that the system would otherwise be capable of displaying better or more stuff.

In this case, swapping out for an SSD wouldn't help matters, because the game had to be designed around what's built into the system.
I know you talking theoretically, but there's no way developers are gonna practically fill 6/7 gigs of ram with in use data. With both systems having 8GBs there is gonna be legendary cache room for data. I'm fairly certain that's why Sony can claim so confidently that loading times are gonna be almost gone.

Techies

Doesn't the lack of a bottleneck simply mean that no one part of the machine significantly limits the ability of the other parts?

Yup, I always find it how people have awesome CPU's, but crap graphics cards and vice versa, such a waste. I always try to find the right balance with the systems I build and it works out great.

how are people envisioning the bottle here?

is the thick body of the bottle the developers vivid imagination, while the neck is the cold hard reality of finite hardware?

Despite several explanations it's still amazing some people in this thread still have no idea what a bottleneck is.

I thought bottlenecks were about trying to push too much stuff for the bandwidth it can give. I mean, in a way that both processes can work if they're not done at the same time, thus causing the bottleneck when they all try to do stuff at the same time.

Unless by lack of power you mean lack of PSU power to power the cpu/gpu I guess.

So the GPU in the PS4 isn't as powerful as, say, a Titan, because of bottlenecks? Hardware capability has no bearing on anything, is that what you are saying?

I understand(basically) what a bottleneck is when it come to the way the silicon moves information and data. However, to the lay man what is implied/interpreted by Guerilla's remarks are that PS4 is capable of Fishing in Baku PC level of quality/fidelity and that's simply not true.

I understand(basically) what a bottleneck is when it come to the way the silicon moves information and data. However, to the lay man what is implied/interpreted by Guerilla's remarks are that PS4 is capable of Fishing in Baku PC level of quality/fidelity and that's simply not true.
Nonsense. That is clearly your interpretation; nowhere in that article is anything of the such implied.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
However, to the lay man what is implied/interpreted by Guerilla's remarks are that PS4 is capable of Fishing in Baku PC level of quality/fidelity and that's simply not true.
So you're going on record on April 08th 2013 that nothing ever on PS4 will reach the quality of the PC version of a multiplatform game that is also available on PS3?

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
Bottleneck; HDD, not SSD.

Long term storage via HD is a "bottleneck" in the loose sense for every computer system made. They have memory systems that transfer at 20-40GB/s for system RAM and 100-300GB/s for VRAM. HDs are orders of magnitude less (20-50MB/s). But it is not really fair to call them bottlenecks in the strict sense, they are known and computers are designed around them. Bottlenecks in this context are about rendering and computing, not a known commodity like the HD bandwidth which is unavoidable.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman
Long term storage via HD is a "bottleneck" in the loose sense for every computer system made. They have memory systems that transfer at 20-40GB/s for system RAM and 100-300GB/s for VRAM. HDs are orders of magnitude less (20-50MB/s). But it is not really fair to call them bottlenecks in the strict sense, they are known and computers are designed around them. Bottlenecks in this context are about rendering and computing, not a known commodity like the HD bandwidth which is unavoidable.

well said, if you want to talk about the overall snappiness of PCs, then HDDs are the biggest bottlenecks today. if you want to talk about a system of components and their reliance on one and another than HDDs typically don't hold anything back.

No bottlenecks just means that some parts of the hardware aren't limited by other parts.
Pretty much this. Which is good cause that means as nothing is holding anything back they can use the full power of the system easier and more efficiently.

Moosichu

If it's 7 years, we will see the biggest tech jump in gaming history. We'll see "stacked" technology in basically everything. Consoles will be several times behind probably even phones.

I can't wait.

David Cage will implode with all the emotional polygons.

Espada

If it's 7 years, we will see the biggest tech jump in gaming history. We'll see "stacked" technology in basically everything. Consoles will be several times behind probably even phones.

I can't wait.

If at that point consoles are behind even smartphones, it's going to be an extremely tough sale to convince people to buy a stationary version of mobile devices. Console generations will have to be shorter than 7 years to avoid this.

Razgreez

If at that point consoles are behind even smartphones, it's going to be an extremely tough sale to convince people to buy a stationary version of mobile devices. Console generations will have to be shorter than 7 years to avoid this.

I've stated before and i'll state here again, from a purely logical perspective this generation will likely hold firm only for 4-5yrs. The chosen architecture pays credence to this since it should allow far more streamlined compatibility going forward

erick

Banned
PS4 is very nicely designed and that is generally agreed upon. If price/TDP was no issue, I'd say that they could have done with more muscle in the CPU front. This has been discussed before, but most netbooks will have the kind of single thread CPU performance that PS4 can muster when it comes out.

It will be the developers' task to maneuver around this by coding game engines that are extremely efficiently parallelized, to make use of all 8 threads. Sitting on a 6-core 12-thread Xeon overclocked to 4GHz I can tell you that I'm very excited for this prospect.

I've stated before and i'll state here again, from a purely logical perspective this generation will likely hold firm only for 4-5yrs. The chosen architecture pays credence to this since it should allow far more streamlined compatibility going forward

100% correct.

Hydrogen

Banned
Seems like the concept of bottleneck is too complicated for gaf. Those "then why 30 fps???" posts...

Our fingers will bottleneck the touchpad though. We will have to upgrade our fingers to make use of the high resolution.

teo72

Neo Member
Seems like the concept of bottleneck is too complicated for gaf. Those "then why 30 fps???" posts...

Our fingers will bottleneck the touchpad though. We will have to upgrade our fingers to make use of the high resolution.

CYBORG future here we come. Beam me up Scotty LOL

Cidd

Wait, What?

A bottleneck is a phenomenon where the performance or capacity of an entire system is limited by a single or limited number of components or resources. The term bottleneck is taken from the 'assets are water' metaphor. As water is poured out of a bottle, the rate of outflow is limited by the width of the conduit of exit—that is, bottleneck. By increasing the width of the bottleneck one can increase the rate at which the water flows out of the neck at different frequencies. Such limiting components of a system are sometimes referred to as bottleneck points.

I hope we don't get Next Next gen till 2019 at the earliest. 2020 would be the sweet spot.

Ha yea with Volta rolling out with stacked memory in 2016 you better hope the next wave of consoles after the ps4 will be out before 2018. PC tech is about to get crazy in the next few years with the talks of GDDR6 and DDR4.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Well all they're talking about is balance. Not that it literally can do anything, but rather that no one component is throttling another one. They can all smoothly access close to their individual maximum performance, without thinking "shit I could do more with this GPU if not for this fucking RAM." Shit like that.

Yeah that was my understanding. Each piece of the hardware will get used to its full potential in the end.

erick

Banned
Sorry for butting in, but that last sentence should be a statement, not a question :)

vRAM does not increase processing power. vRAM just allows you to hold many assets like textures so the GPU can get them quickly. The more video RAM you have, the bigger the textures that you can fit in it, hence better quality. Similar logic applies for CPU and normal RAM - the more RAM, the more processes can run simultaneously. vRAM also stores frame buffer, so the more vRAM you have, the higher resolutions you can target.

But in the end it will be the GPU that has to do all the work of getting a smooth framerate, and putting out high quality textures at high resolutions might be too much for it depending on config. vRAM is just an enabler.

Top Bottom