• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerilla Games: PS4 has no performance bottlenecks

No it isn't. If you walked up to a best buy employee and asked him if best buy was the best store to buy tvs, in front of his manager, I bet he'd say yes.

Speaking to the press is open to the public. He did it on the clock where his supervisors, managers, and the entire company could potentially see, of course he is bias.
If you walked up to a third party dev, say Ubisoft, who is trying to sell you a game they developed for the PS4, and asked him what bottlenecks exist on the PS4, what do you expect to hear?

Corky

Nine out of ten orphans can't tell the difference.
The PS4 is a well balanced, nicely designed system. So they are right.

Yeah this is what I was thinking, obviously it's far from release and a lot of things can change but right now I'm really impressed by everything about the ps4. Not saying it's going to be 'cutting edge' by any stretch of the imagination but rather a well put together, balanced console. Only thing that could deflate my hype would be a ~600 dollar price range.

MAX PAYMENT

If you walked up to a third party dev, say Ubisoft, who is trying to sell you a game they developed for the PS4, and asked him what bottlenecks exist on the PS4, what do you expect to hear?
It's not that I'm expecting to hear anything. My god some people can't see the forest for all the trees. Wen you talk to the PR guy paid to say nice things about something.... He's going to say nice things about it. It is not news. It is not even worth discussion. Anyone saying anything negative burns bridges and could potentially cost them their job. I sure as hell don't actively discuss the things I hate about my job. But I'm also not paid to say good things about it either.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
We need more in depth performance breakdowns of the CPU. I kept hearing it would definitely not be able to keep up with some of the things implemented next gen.

We still don't have official numbers for it, which is weird since everything else seems to be locked down. It'll probably be sufficient for next gen since a lot of CPU tasks will be moved to the GPU's compute processing and it won't have to do any audio rendering or decoding but I'd still like to get some hard info on it.

vio

I like this. Bigger buckets are getting built all the time, such is the nature of bucket technology, PS4 is just a particularly well built bucket.

Indeed, i mean common! You don`t want a bottle inside your console. Especially one of those necky ones.

The bottleneck is the GPU.
Or the lazy devs.

I hate to say it but I really think this is true. Really wish the PS4 had a 2.5TF+ capability. Think about it... this is a system expected to last you until the year 2018/2019 at the very minimum. Is 1.8TF going to be enough 5 to 6 years from now???

ascii42

what? loading times doesn't bottleneck the graphics and you can probably still install games if you'd like to.

50gb blu ray discs do not bottleneck graphics.

Unless the game is open world and relies on streaming, in which case the quality of the assets could be limited based on how quickly you need to load them off the disc.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Unless the game is open world and relies on streaming, in which case the quality of the assets could be limited based on how quickly you need to load them off the disc.

There seems to be a lot of evidence in the Edge quotes that they'll do seamless mandatory installs for all games to alleviate that issue. Blu rays will just be a delivery service for 40+gb games and devs will be able to rely on harddrive speeds for streaming instead of disk speeds.

It's not that I'm expecting to hear anything. My god some people can't see the forest for all the trees. Wen you talk to the PR guy paid to say nice things about something.... He's going to say nice things about it. It is not news. It is not even worth discussion. Anyone saying anything negative burns bridges and could potentially cost them their job. I sure as hell don't actively discuss the things I hate about my job. But I'm also not paid to say good things about it either.
Yeah, that's why I'm skipping E3 this year; nothing but PR guys paid to say nice things about their new consoles. That shit ain't newsworthy, I agree. I'll watch Microsofts conference to get my PS4 info.

B.O.O.M

I feel like some are confusing bottlenecks vs. hardware limitations. This just means all components can perform to their full potential without any other component dragging them down...right?

Only bottle neck is the performance.

Performance is the liquid you poured out of the bottle, what slows down the liquid on the way out of the bottle is the neck. What part of the PS4 is slower than the rest of it's components? According to GG, the system is balanced with no stand out or slow parts that bottleneck the system... capice?

Radec

I feel like some are confusing bottlenecks vs. hardware limitations. This just means all components can perform to their full potential without any other component dragging them down...right?

Yes. But let those who cant understand this do their thing. Its pretty entertaining.

ascii42

There seems to be a lot of evidence in the Edge quotes that they'll do seamless mandatory installs for all games to alleviate that issue. Blu rays will just be a delivery service for 40+gb games and devs will be able to rely on harddrive speeds for streaming instead of disk speeds.

Makes sense to me. Then as long as the hard drive read speed is fast enough to load as much stuff as the cpu can process and the gpu can render, then it won't be a bottle neck.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick

Yeah, this is the first time since I've followed tech specs there hasn't been anything obvious holding other components back. Sure, performance will be limited by the hardware eventually but no piece of hardware is going to stop another one from doing its job well.

Demon Ice

Banned
I don't think he's referring to a "bottleneck" in the usual sense (IE the CPU is too slow the let the GPU fully be utilized, GPU is too slow so the CPU is wasting cycles, etc).

Instead, since the PS4 uses an APU, the CPU and GPU are on the same die. That is MUCH more efficient for communication between the two, compared to a PC architecture, which are just separate, standalone parts that are limited by the motherboard in how fast they can communicate with one another.

Obviously the sheer power of PC gear overcomes these limitations, but compared to previous console architectures, the PS4 looks like it would have considerably less bottlenecks.

stryke

I hate to say it but I really think this is true. Really wish the PS4 had a 2.5TF+ capability. Think about it... this is a system expected to last you until the year 2018/2019 at the very minimum. Is 1.8TF going to be enough 5 to 6 years from now???

Try harder.

Reading comprehension of people in this thread is fucking abysmal. He said no one piece of hardware is a bottleneck to another piece of hardware within the PS4. That is it.

A PC is a number of parts that also [have] bridges in-between, where there are inefficiencies that may [come in if they're not] exactly the right match."

then he goes on to say with PS4, they haven't found any of these inefficiencies normally found in a PC.

Sounds like PS4 is the perfect PC to me.

omonimo

Banned
Thanks to God. I'm sick of low buffer in the ps3 exclusive, it's just horrible compared to the rest of the graphic level reached to the first parties in the past.

This feels like arguing with a child. You obviously don't get it.
What's there to get? You come in here with the notion that GG opinion is somehow invalid just because they develop games for Sony. Does it look like they are struggling to make games for the PS4? The hardware is totally different from the PS3, so your whole notion about scrapping the Blu ray drive for an SSD to avoid bottlenecks sounds ignorant, especially since games will support full installs.

Hope you've come to your senses then. I'm sure there are more newsworthy threads out there for ya...

TrutaS

Well all they're talking about is balance. Not that it literally can do anything, but rather that no one component is throttling another one. They can all smoothly access close to their individual maximum performance, without thinking "shit I could do more with this GPU if not for this fucking RAM." Shit like that.

I was going to make a post about how many posters here don't really know what the concept of a bottleneck means. But you wrote it better.

B.O.O.M

Yes. But let those who cant understand this do their thing. Its pretty entertaining.

Yeah, this is the first time since I've followed tech specs there hasn't been anything obvious holding other components back. Sure, performance will be limited by the hardware eventually but no piece of hardware is going to stop another one from doing its job well.

Yeah that's what I thought. I was getting confused since some were saying this will come back to bite them etc etc haha

MAX PAYMENT

What's there to get? You come in here with the notion that GG opinion is somehow invalid just because they develop games for Sony. Does it look like they are struggling to make games for the PS4? The hardware is totally different from the PS3, so your whole notion about scrapping the Blu ray drive for an SSD to avoid bottlenecks sounds ignorant, especially since games will support full installs.

There's a difference between showing off your own project and kissing daddy's ass. E3 is the former, this piece of press is the latter. I'll just avoid the exhaustion of pointing out things you say that sound ignorant.

Sorral

The CPU is on the same die as the GPU unlike the regular jaguars with the meh performance. It will perform more efficiently here (obviously not like an i5 or an i7), but enough to not hold back the GPU especially since they will have GPGPU stuff going on anyway. It is kind of an applrange comparison.

Most games have been relaying on the GPU while the CPU side isn't as optimized as it should be. With streamlined(right term?) tasks between the 8 cores, it shouldn't be bad. At least, not to the extent some people seem to think.

Cidd

Obviously 90% of the people in here either don't know wtf a bottleneck is or they're just trolling.

Looking at the specs everything seem well balanced and efficient.

thuway

I've said this before, the PS4 is a very balanced design. No one part supercedes the other. In the PS3 you had a gargantuan CPU with a lackluster GPU, and a crippling amount of RAM. This levels the playing field out so performance and design can be placed hand in hand.

There's a difference between showing off your own project and kissing daddy's ass. E3 is the former, this pier of press is the latter. I'll just avoid the exhaustion of pointing out things you say that sound ignorant.
Yes, please don't exhaust yourself; it probably won't make sense anyway.

You act like GG is grandstanding for Sony here, when all they've done is make a simple statement about efficiency in the hardware. Why so serious?

FyreWulff

Same ol' pre-launch song and dance.

Developers won't have any load time bottlenecks on N64! Oops, too bad if you want actual texture resolution.

The PS2 can do a bajillion polygons at once! The catch is you're developing on a PS2! GOOD LUCK!

Every 360 game will run in 720p natively and no 360 game will have jaggies!

If you aren't running into bottlenecks on fixed hardware, you're not pushing the fixed hardware to it's potential, and some component will always gate what you can do. Doesn't matter if the PS4 can have gigaterofloops of bandwidth in the system if it still has to load it from any sort of physical media whether optical or solid state, and there's still a finite amount of operations you can perform per hz.. please, developers, leave the PR bullshit to the PR department.

This is just setting themselves up to be quoted once they talk about having troubles with later games in the generation :lol

MAX PAYMENT

Yes, please don't exhaust yourself; it probably won't make sense anyway.

You act like GG is grandstanding for Sony here, when all they've done is make a simple statement about efficiency in the hardware. Why so serious?
Lol. I enjoy your devil's advocate approach. And I did catch myself thinking. "I'm having a serious argument over something that isn't even news worthy.... Wtf"

FaintDeftone

The graphics/framerate tradeoff has nothing to do with whether or not there are bottlenecks.

If you ask me, the PS4 GPU is a bottleneck, especially if they cannot get Killzone to run at 60fps at launch. If they cannot get a launch title running in 60fps on brand new hardware, that video card is bringing the rest of the hardware down.

c0de

Of course it has a bottleneck - everything except computational units is the bottleneck. They are always waiting for data to work with. That's why computers have (growing) caches and growing and improving RAM. This doesn't mean the PS4 is not balanced but of course has bottlenecks, like every other computer.

Top Bottom