• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Guerilla Games: PS4 has no performance bottlenecks

eot

Banned
No bottlenecks just means that some parts of the hardware aren't limited by other parts.

He says that the ps4 is no bottle, it's a bucket. Hence no bottleneck. That doesn't mean that there are larger buckets than the ps4.

I like this. Bigger buckets are getting built all the time, such is the nature of bucket technology, PS4 is just a particularly well built bucket.

iceatcs

I thought CPU might be the one that bring some part down.

I suspect lately that most games seem haven't use CPU mainly, especially i5 vs i7 didn't raise any FPS on same system. Even if overclock the CPU about 1GHz more will mostly give about under 10fps extra on top.

This isn't a hyperbole statement. It's like having a team of 4 runners in a Paton race that are roughly the same speed. None of them hold the team back. It doesn'tt mean they are fastest in the world though.

This isn't a hyperbole statement. It's like having a team of 4 runners in a Paton race that are roughly the same speed. None of them hold the team back. It doesn'tt mean they are fastest in the world though.

The same thing has been repeated since page I, it is obvious some people have no interest in understanding what a bottleneck is...time to sit back and watch the smartass replies roll

Jesus fucking Christ GAF I hold you guys to a higher standard than this shit, read the damn thread people

The same thing has been repeated since page I, it is obvious some people have no interest in understanding what a bottleneck is...time to sit back and watch the smartass replies roll

this, the amount of defensive butthurt in this thread is staggering

Shikoro

Some of the people in here are either really, REALLY stupid, or they're joking in a way no one finds amusing.

Those who are saying that there are bottlenecks, can they actually give us an example of such thing? Or will you continue with the "they're 1st party blabla" and stuff like that?

I'm pretty sure at this point there are like 3 posters trying to explain what a hardware bottleneck is for every 1 person who misunderstood.

I don't get if you're saying I'm preaching to the choir or that I'm wrong. I don't see how that is a bad example though. Another good example is a chain with equally strong links.

As far as specs go, it's pretty balanced. It's true that the PS4 doesn't have the PS3's problems, where a powerful CPU suffered because of an underpowered GPU and split memory. Sony did a good job here.

There are always bottlenecks, but his main point is sound. The PS4 is a very well balanced system. In fact, if I were looking for a glaring bottleneck, it's GDDR5 latency and the CPU. However, will that be a bottleneck that ultimately matters to developers? Probably not because they can work around it and still produce incredible games, but it doesn't make it any less of a bottleneck just because devs can work around it. That's what devs are suppose to do.

Orayn

CPU seems like it might be lacking in the brute force needed for some PC games like Total War, Arma, some MMOs, and certain simulators, but he's right for the most part. The PS4 is a reasonable, straightforward, balanced machine.

MAX PAYMENT

You are seemingly brushing what the guy said aside like what he's saying isn't true or something, simply because he's on Sony's payroll.

Well for one, he is on payroll.
And second, the only way it wouldn't have a bottleneck is if they dropped a Blu-ray drive for an SSD. It doesn't matter coming from this guy. I want to hear come from a third party. Or someone not obligated to say these things, true or not.

Ask PC gamers now, they'll point out the CPU and GPU are already bottlenecks.

:(

That is not what bottleneck means....

Also optical drive isn't a bottleneck assuming mandatory installs (and enough ram), optical drive hasn't been a bottleneck on pc for 20 years.

It can be both not very powerful and not have any bottlenecks, the guerilla games guy isn't wrong.

edit: yeah the single threaded performance (lack thereof) of jaguar is probably a bottleneck.

LTWheels

At some point in the generation the gun models will get bigger and bigger, the fov will get smaller and smaller, and the resolution will be lowered.

It's inevitable.

And second, the only way it wouldn't have a bottleneck is if they dropped a Blu-ray drive for an SSD. It doesn't matter coming from this guy. I want to hear come from a third party. Or someone not obligated to say these things, true or not.
What good would the word of a third party dev do you if you don't even understand what a freaking bottleneck is?

At some point in the generation the gun models will get bigger and bigger, the fov will get smaller and smaller, and the resolution will be lowered.

It's inevitable.

Don't remind me :(
their killzone demo already started out with a giant gun and 55 degree fov:(

By the end of the gen we'll literally have 2 2d horseblinders blocking off each side of the screen.

It's inevitable.

that's NOT a bottleneck, CPU holding back GPU or GPU holding back CPU would be a bottleneck. Pushing more shaders, polys or gun models has nothing to do with bottlenecks

So what's bottlenecking the frame rate in KZ4?

yeah why not 240 fps.....

The term "Bottleneck" comes from varying speeds in a system. If you turn a bottle of water upside down, the water won't pour out at once because the neck of the bottle is narrower than the body, but you can have to body's of different size without a bottleneck.

A straight 4" tube would have a lot more flow than a 2" tube, both could be set up to have consistent flow with no bottle necks if all the other pipes in the house are 2" or 4", doesn't mean that it will have unlimited capability, just that components are properly matched, and although the overall flow is consistent, there are still varying degrees of performance.

A chain is only as strong as it's weakest link. When they say there are no bottlenecks, they're basically saying that all links are of equal strength ;)

Don't remind me :(
their killzone demo already started out with a giant gun and 55 degree fov:(

By the end of the gen we'll literally have 2 2d horseblinders blocking off each side of the screen.
That's why I've always been partial to third person shooters. I've grown tired of the whole huge gun swaying in front of everything concept; I'd rather watch my nicely animated character interact with the environment.

Triple U

Banned
What does this even mean?

And your logic that " you only want to hear the truth from certain people" is backwards as hell.

And your logic that " you only want to hear the truth from certain people" is backwards as hell.

don't get too caught up with that guy, all he has done since he joined this forum is troll Sony related topics. He seems to have a vendetta against Sony.

-COOLIO-

The Everyman

what? loading times doesn't bottleneck the graphics and you can probably still install games if you'd like to.

50gb blu ray discs do not bottleneck graphics.

MAX PAYMENT

What good would the word of a third party dev do you if you don't even understand what a freaking bottleneck is?
So you're trying to tell me developers have never tried to work around the disc read speed? Never played a ps3? Mandatory installs everywhere. Numerous Xbox games see performance benefits after an install.
On pc when I moved sleeping dogs to my SsD, I saw a significant performance increase. Moving a pc game to a 5400rpm hd would decrease performance. How is this not bottle necking ?

MAX PAYMENT

No it isn't. If you walked up to a best buy employee and asked him if best buy was the best store to buy tvs, in front of his manager, I bet he'd say yes.

Speaking to the press is open to the public. He did it on the clock where his supervisors, managers, and the entire company could potentially see, of course he is bias.

Amey

it's hard to believe those puny jaguar cores can put 8gb gddr5 to good use without creating bottleneck.
but since thr is no way to disprove his claim.... whatever. just let us see the games.

PSYGN

He's probably talking about bottlenecks of todays realistic gaming visions. We'll have our own bottlenecks this coming gen.

He's probably talking about bottlenecks of todays realistic gaming visions. We'll have our own bottlenecks this coming gen.

image.php

Top Bottom